Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?

Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?

• Tint it right like in Gw1, the oversaturated green doesn't look good.
    • Keep it I like the green

On 11/20/2021 at 6:13 PM, aspirine.6852 said:

I dunno, the sea itself on the stream they showed it looked fine.. The blocks and where they mined looks way too green in comparison..  The blocks almost look like big blocks of toxic green jello, like they are not finished texturing on them?

Yeah, I kinda agree with you there.

I think there is a difference between Jade and Dragonjade. Plus it's probably to differenciate it a bit from Ice, that has been 100% of GW2 landscapes in recent years. 

The color may be given by the fact that it absorbed Dragon energy when we killed the other dragons.  

The Jade Sea fractal is not so green. 

Edited by Kidel.2057
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/19/2021 at 11:05 AM, Tungsten Monarch.6058 said:

I like the color's shown, this thread is an over reaction.

It might be too early to judge anything, but we already have problems when there is a lot of players are fighting a boss or in WvW to be able to see anything.

Tested my Jade Mech very fast now and that green is really too strong with shield that are green and cover a large area, beam from JM and so on. Imagine how to deal with this during a fight when you can't see anything with beams flashing from Mace skills and several JM players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kidel.2057 said:

I think there is a difference between Jade and Dragonjade. Plus it's probably to differenciate it a bit from Ice, that has been 100% of GW2 landscapes in recent years. 

The color may be given by the fact that it absorbed Dragon energy when we killed the other dragons.  

The Jade Sea fractal is not so green. 

All speculation at this point. Could also be ANET taking an umm "interesting" artistic direction. We just don't know.

• Confused 3

"It's too early to really judge" can often turn into "It's too late to really change anything" without ever crossing "Now's a good time to weigh in".

I'm glad people are giving their feedback as they see it, both "It's too bright" and "It's fine". After they've listened, ANet can weigh the feedback and decide for themselves.

As a designer myself, I often have clients give feedback on something I know they'll love once we get further into the process. Part of my job is to listen to what they're saying, but also anticipate what's behind it, and what they may not know they want yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, WaveIn.4091 said:

I love the jade color they’ve picked. It feels high tech, and I’m keeping with siege turtles with rockets and jade constructs. Hoping we will see more interesting technology in this expansion 

I hope at then end I also get beamed up by Scotty into the starship Enterprise, meanwhile the Cylons nuke Kaineng City and Emperor Palpatine congratulates us.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I prefer the GW1 version as well - it is just way more classy. The EoD  depiction tends to look very silly.
not only that - the saturation is just tiring for the eye. Like Shing Jea is just unpleasant to look at to me. And it was such a pretty place in GW1.

Wow I keep hating on this expac but sadly there a nothing to love as of yet 😔 This is so sad

• Like 6
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Mik.3401 said:

I think the authors of the confused reaction never played GW1 which is fine but why this topic then

Just die-hard "ANET can do no wrong" crowd.

Now I know there's also a die-hard "ANET can to no right" crowd as well, but the truth is somewhere in the middle. And for us this is one of those instances where one has to question their artistic decisions with places like Shing Jea and the Jade Sea coloration.

EDIT: See, I say something reasonable like the truth being in the middle and there's the confused emoji. Go ahead I don't care if you leave me those. 😂

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 11/18/2021 at 9:07 PM, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

I don’t have an opinion on this. I find it kind of funny however reading people’s distaste for a color. Reason being, I’m an engineer in real life. I have to be critical of people’s designs all the time, and have great attention to detail in my job. However, when it comes to this new expac, I see sooo many people nitpicking this and that and paying soo much attention to detail, and I just look at everything presented and say, new stuff! Should be fun to play. What I’m trying to say is, I play the game for fun, not to criticize every detail. That’s what my job is for 😛.  I’m glad people have their opinions and I think they are important to help shape the game’s future, but in the end, don’t forget to just have fun.

This pretty much summarizes my thoughts exactly... strange to me that some people find the color of the jade so offensive that they have stated they are "disappointed with the expansion" and "I won't be buying".  Of course, you fully have that right, but I personally don't think any color has offended me to the point where I quit doing something I thought was fun...
Welcome to the internet; hyperbole is the standard... 😁

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kelian Ravenwood.4130 said:

This pretty much summarizes my thoughts exactly... strange to me that some people find the color of the jade so offensive that they have stated they are "disappointed with the expansion" and "I won't be buying".  Of course, you fully have that right, but I personally don't think any color has offended me to the point where I quit doing something I thought was fun...
Welcome to the internet; hyperbole is the standard... 😁

Well its one thing to take an area from a previous game and evolve it. It's another to completely change the underlying artistic design into something that no longer represents what it was. I think Shing Jea is more guilty of that than the Jade Sea to be honest, but the Jade Sea is a further symptom of that direction.

But, shouldn't be surprising I guess at this stage. Look at Core. Kryta of GW2 is not the same Kryta of GW1. No it didn't "evolve". It literally changed from a tropical land to medieval Europe.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Well its one thing to take an area from a previous game and evolve it. It's another to completely change the underlying artistic design into something that no longer represents what it was. I think Shing Jea is more guilty of that than the Jade Sea to be honest, but the Jade Sea is a further symptom of that direction.

But, shouldn't be surprising I guess at this stage. Look at Core. Kryta of GW2 is not the same Kryta of GW1. No it didn't "evolve". It literally changed from a tropical land to medieval Europe.

I agree, but I think I look at it from a different point of view... while I expect some connection with GW1 (which I did play from Nightfall's release forward) and inspiration from the lore, I have no expectation that any of the art design, layout of the world or mechanics will be the same as GW1 at all... the games are so different that I don't think of GW2 as a sequel (despite the "2"), I view it as a separate entity that has some elements of GW1.  I can understand the expectations though.

3 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Just die-hard "ANET can do no wrong" crowd.

Now I know there's also a die-hard "ANET can to no right" crowd as well, but the truth is somewhere in the middle. And for us this is one of those instances where one has to question their artistic decisions with places like Shing Jea and the Jade Sea coloration.

EDIT: See, I say something reasonable like the truth being in the middle and there's the confused emoji. Go ahead I don't care if you leave me those. 😂

Yeah the confused army is going strong. Guess there is no other way to defend the GW2 graphics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

14 hours ago, Mortifera.6138 said:

is not 2 decades ago

It looks like 2 decades ago but worse in terms of style with shaders slapped on. Like Shing Jea is just not only only subjectively ugly but also objectively just terribly saturated - who would ply that actively for longer time? Jade see is better in this regard, but still terrible in my opinion when we talk about taste.

Edited by Mik.3401
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Mik.3401 said:

It looks like 2 decades ago but worse in terms of style with shaders slapped on. Like Shing Jea is just not only only subjectively ugly but also objectively just terribly saturated - who would ply that actively for longer time? Jade see is better in this regard, but still terrible in my opinion when we talk about taste.

"objectively"

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:14 PM, WaveIn.4091 said:

I love the jade color they’ve picked. It feels high tech, and I’m keeping with siege turtles with rockets and jade constructs. Hoping we will see more interesting technology in this expansion 

Yes, it obviously aims at the new, younger clientel that's also into horrible anime designs and wild mixes of genres. They've already milked the veterans enough, ey? Time for the next load of players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2