Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?

Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should Anet fix the oversaturated green jade like it was in GW1?

• Tint it right like in Gw1, the oversaturated green doesn't look good.
    • Keep it I like the green

I am one of the most vocal critics on this, but I also understand how a more layed back person could perceive the criticism as an overreaction.

Yes, "it's just a game" and we definitely shouldn't forget to have fun. I think the reason the criticism as this point is this vocal is that the people hope that now there is still time to be heard - on release, it would be too late for such changes.

Yes, "it's just a game", but you could as well say, "Hey, that sweater your aunt gave you for Christmas is just as sweater! No need to get your knickers in a twist about it being a toxic green." :classic_biggrin:

A lot of people are visually sensitive to their surroundings, be it in RL or in-game, and when something feels out of place, it irritates them - they can't simply ignore it, at least not without effort, which takes the fun out of "having fun." 😉

Edit: Okay, this video has some valid points worth considering - but as WP says himself, "Okay, you've written a cool story that explains why this place looks like a toxic sludge dump. But what we're left with is a toxic sludge dump [re: exploration- and captivating-wise]." :

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

That’s the video about the trailer. Which could have been made in a better way to show the map. The stream changed his view as you can see in the newest video. As did the opinion of the map for several ppl that had the same worries about the jade. Mine included. After seeing it on stream I found it very good.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

If the hue of the jade is this expansions biggest issue, EoD will be awesome. People get aggravated by the silliest things these days....

Copy & paste for the win, ey? 😉

Just let me repeat my previous answer to your comment then:

Sure, because I am playing games with my eyes closed, so what's displayed on the screen has no impact on my perception of the content, right? :classic_sleep:

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

23 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

If the hue of the jade is this expansions biggest issue, EoD will be awesome. People get aggravated by the silliest things these days....

sure, if you don't care about colors lucky you!
Some people like to play games that look good instead.
As I said it's a weird choice from Anet that doesn't match the original at all and if they messed up something so basic about the lore like the color of the Jade Sea I wonder how much they messed up on the rest...

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

19 minutes ago, Dantert.1803 said:

sure, if you don't care about colors lucky you!
Some people like to play games that look good instead.
As I said it's a weird choice from Anet that doesn't match the original at all and if they messed up something so basic about the lore like the color of the Jade Sea I wonder how much they messed up on the rest...

As far as I understood it, the jade has absorbed part of the dragons magic after their deaths. Causing it to become more empowered and changing the color. 

So this isn't a lore fail yet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/21/2021 at 7:15 AM, Freya.9075 said:

That’s the video about the trailer. Which could have been made in a better way to show the map. The stream changed his view as you can see in the newest video. As did the opinion of the map for several ppl that had the same worries about the jade. Mine included. After seeing it on stream I found it very good.  

His change around on opinion is nothing to what i've seen on twitter.  I mean we are allowed an opinion., even if Anet doesn't like it.

At least the stream looked 'better' than the trailer.

Edited by Dami.5046
  • Confused 2

On 11/22/2021 at 8:14 AM, lokh.2695 said:

Have you seen anyone hyped for anything in EoD other than turtles? Specs sucks, big time (and it was probably the more important), masteries so far sucks, although we need a few more unveiled, no new raids no new dungeons (just strikes, the cheapest form of instanced content you can get)... and even the maps are not reaching the mark. So yeah no, green its not the only issue at all! 

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, witcher.3197 said:

Isn't this just pure speculation?

yes, but to judge something to be a loreinconsistenty, we first need to know whether their is a contraditiction somewhere. And as no explanation has yet been given, and their is a completely reasonable explenation, its to soon to call it a mess up of the lore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Copy & paste for the win, ey? 😉

Just let me repeat my previous answer to your comment then:

If it's necessary to have 9138758907z9 threads about the same issue, I get to copy/paste my response as well. 😉

And I'm not blind or playing with my eyes closed. Also I don't igore design and aesthetics, I'm actually quite interested in visual arts and the likes. Can people not like a certain hue? Sure, to each their own. But making this the be all and end all argument against EoD, or "DEMANDING" that ANet changes it because it's "just that horrible" goes way too far. As I said, you want to get aggravated about something, be aggravated about the lackluster Elites, be aggravated about the fact that fishing is somehow EoD's big selling point, be aggravated about something that actually has to do with the gameplay. If the saturation of th colors makes you this upset, you might want to look into the visual settings of the game and/or your PC and tone them down that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dami.5046 said:

His change around on opinion is nothing to what i've seen on twitter.  I mean we are allowed an opinion., even if Anet doesn't like it.

At least the stream looked 'better' than the trailer.

Ofc everyone is allowed an opinion. And they should give criticism ofc so anet knows their point of view. At the same time ppl that likes the colors should also be allowed to express their opinions of it. They are often more silent about it since they don’t feel the same need to express it. I simply felt I should post his newest view on the jade sea map since he did change his view and the video about the trailer would be misleading to ppl not knowing his updated opinion. Everyone has different taste when it comes to colors or anything really which is perfectly fine

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Freya.9075 said:

Ofc everyone is allowed an opinion. And they should give criticism ofc so anet knows their point of view. At the same time ppl that likes the colors should also be allowed to express their opinions of it. They are often more silent about it since they don’t feel the same need to express it. I simply felt I should post his newest view on the jade sea map since he did change his view and the video about the trailer would be misleading to ppl not knowing his updated opinion. Everyone has different taste when it comes to colors or anything really which is perfectly fine

Well he did change his view, that is the point, just as seeing the posts on twitter aimed at people who disliked the jade coming from content creators. At least WP kept it classy. 

23 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

If it's necessary to have 9138758907z9 threads about the same issue, I get to copy/paste my response as well. 😉

And I'm not blind or playing with my eyes closed. Also I don't igore design and aesthetics, I'm actually quite interested in visual arts and the likes. Can people not like a certain hue? Sure, to each their own. But making this the be all and end all argument against EoD, or "DEMANDING" that ANet changes it because it's "just that horrible" goes way too far. As I said, you want to get aggravated about something, be aggravated about the lackluster Elites, be aggravated about the fact that fishing is somehow EoD's big selling point, be aggravated about something that actually has to do with the gameplay. If the saturation of th colors makes you this upset, you might want to look into the visual settings of the game and/or your PC and tone them down that way.

Idk what you are arguing about here... Do you suggest all the critiques about EoD gets to be pooled in one big post when the news come by day by day? So that every topic gets lost in  between all the others?
It's clear by the reaction on the forums and the chat during the live presentation that there are many people not happy with the color so they are manifesting it through specific posts.
Sure the other topics are also important and I agree they make the next expansion less good overall but it doesn't mean we just need to focus on those topics and nothing else.
The look of the game is important for some people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/23/2021 at 2:10 PM, yann.1946 said:

yes, but to judge something to be a loreinconsistenty, we first need to know whether their is a contraditiction somewhere. And as no explanation has yet been given, and their is a completely reasonable explenation, its to soon to call it a mess up of the lore.

That's assuming there is a lore reason and it wasn't just a creative decision on the part of the artists. So far nothing indicates that there's an in-universe explanation.

"Lore inconsistency" isn't really what people are complaining about. Just inconsistency and bad design decisions. It used to look a certain way and got changed for the worse. It's not like giving it a lore reason will make it any more pleasant to look at either.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Jthug.9506 said:

Unpopular opinion: this is my favorite color and also the color of the purest jades.

Contrary to the name, the name "Jade Sea" has nothing to do with actual Jade.

Anyway, I agree that for the natural parts of the Jade Sea environments shown during the stream (i.e. not the cut out blocks that look like toxic green textureless jello), it looks fine, though admittedly I'd prefer the teal color. That said you could see the seafoam and the textures and from that standpoint, looks fine.

The blocks of toxic green jade however still look god awful. It honestly amazes me that they chose that to showcase for the trailer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

That's assuming there is a lore reason and it wasn't just a creative decision on the part of the artists. So far nothing indicates that there's an in-universe explanation.

No, its the statement that we dont know yet what the motivation is for the color, nothing more nothing less.

4 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

"Lore inconsistency" isn't really what people are complaining about. Just inconsistency and bad design decisions. It used to look a certain way and got changed for the worse. It's not like giving it a lore reason will make it any more pleasant to look at either.

Well it was the thing my original response was too. Danter said that they where afraid what else the might have kittened upabout the lore if they kittened up the color of the jade sea. That was the only thing i was adressing.

• Thanks 1

My only issue with the green blocks that some are comparing to giant jello cubes is not actually the color it's the reflectivity, if this were an actual block of real jade, no mater how pure and exceptional, it would be in a rough cut form, not polished like a skating rink. The texture should reflect a rough cut stone, not a highly polished gem.

• Like 2