Sitting here with my morning coffee and something really cool just popped into my head. The introduction of Skiffs and Siege Turtles has potentially opened up a new way of fighting and in turn has maybe meant that a differently designed world boss would be possible.

With Skiffs being able to carry an entire party, players can use them as mobile barges to either travel to set locations and then complete said objective OR use the Skiff as a mobile turret of sorts, the players being the guns. Imagine being out on the sea, islands dotted around and a giant...well, lets just say Kraken for now, in the middle. Evil Kraken dude is just throwing out old ships parts as projectiles, slamming its tentacles into the water and generally getting angry as all hell that we're in its home shooting at it. Skiffs as far as the eye can see racing to either get a better position or a mad dash to the neighbouring islands to complete the objectives. There's the occasional task under the water for those that crave a little underwater combat (you're mad) where the Skiff players jump out and Skimmer up to travel down into the depths. All the while Siege Turtles are bombarding the Kraken from afar or maybe have other objectives like breaking defiance bars of something getting in the way, dealing with adds on the islands or maybe used during set sequences to stun 'said beasty'. 

Skiffs and Siege Turtles are exciting as they are but I'm not sure players fully grasp the type of content they could bring with them. I'm not saying this is coming but there's potential there for something new and exciting.

• Like 2

Potentially, but not yet. I think skiffs are the prototype for bigger things with boats. There’s not going to be much water stuff yet I would think, but the ground work is there if they choose to go that route. It just depends if the devs can get over their phobia of water associated combat

Combat will be still be limited though. We’ve seen even adrakkar was heavily restricted in what it could. The movemen5 in the ice took them a massive amount of work alone, leaving very little in the way of imaginative fighting and that’s prob because GW2s engine can’t do much else 

Edited by Randulf.7614

Given that the Jade Sea still is mostly jade (which can be seen in their map preview trailer), even though it should have reverted to mostly sea water (just like the Echovald Forest has mostly reverted), I doubt there are any plans for wet world boss action.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1

I still think that inspite of things like the skiffs and the diving ability of the skimmer and even the presumed up coming confrontation with Bubbles in EoD that Arenanet has unfortunately and quite likely permanently abandoned Under Water content.  They haven't added a new skin for any UW weapon in YEARS and the majority of underwater spots in pretty much ever new map added Post-Launch has been pretty much barren of content or even mobs (I'm sure there are an exception or two but none come to mind).  I do hope I'm wrong as I actually like UW content, flawed as it is.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

I still think that inspite of things like the skiffs and the diving ability of the skimmer and even the presumed up coming confrontation with Bubbles in EoD that Arenanet has unfortunately and quite likely permanently abandoned Under Water content.  They haven't added a new skin for any UW weapon in YEARS and the majority of underwater spots in pretty much ever new map added Post-Launch has been pretty much barren of content or even mobs (I'm sure there are an exception or two but none come to mind).  I do hope I'm wrong as I actually like UW content, flawed as it is.

The siege turtle can walk along the bottom of bodies of water.  I'm hoping its weapons still work under water.

There are some submerged Inquest bases I'd like to siege.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Given that the Jade Sea still is mostly jade (which can be seen in their map preview trailer), even though it should have reverted to mostly sea water (just like the Echovald Forest has mostly reverted), I doubt there are any plans for wet world boss action.

Not necessarily. I mean the whole end of dragon’s logo reaks of an ocean theme. If we aren’t introduced to more water content then what’s the point of that logo? It could have just as easily have been a logo with jade color and siege turtles, lol. But seriously, we’re only just seeing part of the story and mainly involves the canthans and their Jade tech. I bet we see more story than just that, plus there has to be more to lead into possible future living world segments. The dragons are definately a topic, which anet has been very tight lipped about. And the tease of not showing us all features gets me wondering.

4 hours ago, Dark Red Killian.3946 said:

Not necessarily. I mean the whole end of dragon’s logo reaks of an ocean theme. If we aren’t introduced to more water content then what’s the point of that logo? It could have just as easily have been a logo with jade color and siege turtles, lol. But seriously, we’re only just seeing part of the story and mainly involves the canthans and their Jade tech. I bet we see more story than just that, plus there has to be more to lead into possible future living world segments. The dragons are definately a topic, which anet has been very tight lipped about. And the tease of not showing us all features gets me wondering.

The watery style of the logo could simply be a nod to skiffs and fishing, or a nod to Selbbub being called the Deep-Sea Dragon...

The watery style might not even have a meaning and it simply got chosen because they liked how it looks.

Edited by Fueki.4753
16 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

The siege turtle can walk along the bottom of bodies of water.  I'm hoping its weapons still work under water.

There are some submerged Inquest bases I'd like to siege.

Interesting.  Haven't gotten around to catching up on what they've released about the turtle....

8 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Interesting.  Haven't gotten around to catching up on what they've released about the turtle....

I won’t fully spoil it before you catch up, but It’s probably the most involved mount yet given it has a lot of different facets to it. It’s certainly a lot more significant than the initial announcement about it being a multi player mount made it out to be.

The magazine preview was also extremely positive

• Like 1

Just to clarify, my original post suggesting a new type of boss / new combat possibilities based on Skiffs and the Siege Turtle would be future content. Nothing we are going to see anytime soon but the thought of the type of combat these two could introduce to the game really makes me excited for the future of the game. I have seen many posts saying that they bring very little to the game but novelty value but when you start to look to the new mechanics that can be introduced as a result of these? Crazy IMO... just got to hope the devs have the same vision I guess!

Underwater combat itself... shouldnt be expanded upon IMO but it still has a place in the game in the form of short set pieces in, say, a boss fight or of course the exploration side of things.

This fight on the surface of the water has occurred to me as well! With the boss dropping AoEs on the water’s surface, the skiff owner would have a very real task of keeping their friends out of the AoE while they dps or cc the boss from the back.

Now, with what we know of the turtles, there could be more players underwater with their passengers doing damage to the submerged part of the boss.

There’s a lot of potential here for some really interesting world bosses.