Gaining Pips (Commander Bonus)

This specific bonus is a huge problem. It incentivizes creating a squad and does nothing to incentivise actually joining it. The result is that you see a people tagging up, hoping to attract people so they get the bonus without having to do any actual leading. As a result people are naturally suspicious of joining a squad unless it's lead by a person known in the community. And then it still g ives them an advantage that no other person can get.

I would suggest that its either expanded  to cover people joining a squad, so there's an equal reason to join one. And what would be the different between now and then other than people were in squads when they were solo playing.

That or remove the bonus completely. No one gets it, neither squad members or commanders.

Both would instantly remove the seperation as there's a huge difference between the people who have and the påeople who lack.

Edited by Malus.2184

I have honestly not seen the issue that you are trying to describe.

Most servers I see have so few tags that any extra tag appearing on an empty map is an addition to what they do, no matter how inexperienced or unproductive.

Instead, I see most servers heavily struggling with too many players clinging to far too few leaders (most of them also do little to nothing to help those leaders lead), up to the point where it is now getting absurd and people rather flock to whomever is regarded #1 than supporting #2 or #3 who usually are experienced and rather decent players in their own right. Many maps are empty (with one map queued), several days are empty even on highly populated servers.

Edited by subversiontwo.7501

I haven't seen any of these issues either, and I mainly play WvW by joining whichever open tags I can find.

The nearest I've seen to someone trying to command a squad without doing any 'actual leading' was once when the commander was just standing in our base, but it turned out he had just tagged up and thought he should wait for 10 people to join before doing anything. When someone pointed out that a couple of people had joined then left when he wasn't moving he decided to start taking camps and build up to other things once we got more people. From that point on he was as active as any other commander. Not the best I've ever followed but certainly not the worst. (That was a guy who yelled at us because we wouldn't build siege to attack our own keep.)

If anyone's refused to join an open tag because they don't know the commander they haven't said anything about it. It's fairly common to see people in Team chat asking if there's any tags open and I never see them saying they don't want to join that one, or asking for other options or anything.

Finally it's not true that no one else can get that bonus - it's just limited to 1 person per squad. If you want it you can tag up and lead a group. If the only other tag on the map is just hanging around hoping people will join so they can get a bonus without actually doing anything I'm sure people will be happy to join your group instead.

The entire reason and purpose of the bonus was to "encourage" people to tag up and lead. Prior to ANET implementing this, too many times there would be no tagged commanders at all or Invisable "Fight" commanders (that did not want pugs). So to fix this, they implemented the bonus pip for commanders.

There are still too many maps and times with no commanders, but this at least helped somewhat to fix the problem, definitely needed more now then ever.

Edited by Pagan Highlander.5948
mispelling