Do you think this will be the last expansion for GW2?

Just now, Ashantara.8731 said:

No. Why?

Well, the entire Guild Wars 2 saga has been about the dragons, with the next expansion bringing that to a close, it can also suggest it would be the last expansion.  Do they change directions and make an entire new threat that doesn't have to do with the dragons for future expansions, or do they end Guild Wars 2 and the team focus on Guild Wars 3 or an entire new IP?

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, eisberg.2379 said:

Well, the entire Guild Wars 2 saga has been about the dragons, with the next expansion bringing that to a close, it can also suggest it would be the last expansion.

It's been said multiple times by the devs in live streams (and elsewhere) that End of Dragons does not mean the end of GW2.

A simple forums search would have answered this for you.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 14

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It's been said multiple times by the devs in live streams (and elsewhere) that End of Dragons does not mean the end of GW2.

Simple forum search did not answer the question, their search function is really bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

I doubt even Arenanet knows for sure since it depends on how successful End of Dragons is, the ongoing commercial viability of Guild Wars 2, and to an extent the whims of NCsoft.

I think it's possible that EoD could be the last expansion, the game is already 9 years old after all, but not necessarily the end of new content of any kind. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/19/2021 at 11:29 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Did they ever specify this wouldnt be the last expac or that this wouldnt be the end of gw2 in general? Just playing devil's advocate here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, they did: on the first EoD live stream, for instance, and on several other occasions.

Edit:

And were did thery say this would not be the last expansion?

I hear nothing about more expansions after EoD there.

Edit

I do see how I was kinda vague in that post so will edit it.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Linken.6345 said:

And were did thery say this would not be the last expansion?

[...]

I do see how I was kinda vague in that post so will edit it.

Yeah, this. 😉

As for your question: I am certain that the expansion format will continue to exist, simply because it has returned after players voiced their disappointment about the lack thereof for years. It's the best release format there is, for various reasons, and I can't imagine them wanting to drop it for good.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, tim.4596 said:

I don't know. But it might be. The game feels like it's lacking direction at the moment.

How is it lacking direction? An expansion is coming out with a whole new story that will lead, according to the devs to new adventures. Not sure by what metric you'd say the game is lacking direction.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

How is it lacking direction? An expansion is coming out with a whole new story that will lead, according to the devs to new adventures. Not sure by what metric you'd say the game is lacking direction.

Lack of post expac news? Ppl likely looking for another roadmap or smth.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

We didn't really get much news about what was coming after PoF and we certainly didn't have a clue what was coming after HoT.  Just seems like an odd comment.

Thats not true, big part of the pof marketing was that it would be a seemless transition from the lw to the expac and back into living world. Yeah we didnt have anything about hot and we got a 9 month droubt so you can see why ppl would be sceptical now since they didnt talk about post eod content yet.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, zealex.9410 said:

Thats not true, big part of the pof marketing was that it would be a seemless transition from the lw to the expac and back into living world. Yeah we didnt have anything about hot and we got a 9 month droubt so you can see why ppl would be sceptical now since they didnt talk about post eod content yet.

We only knew Living World was coming out. But Anet said they were going to continue the story. Is that really different?  We didn't know anything about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2