nickname for chats

Balsa.3951

15 minutes ago, Embered.5089 said:

You have an account name and a character name, and anyone who adds you can nickname you in their friend's list. That's 3 potential names, why do you need more?

u mean when I use my guardian with name blubblub for example than I switch to ranger and my name stays blubblub in guildchat? 

How can I enable that feature, I didn't found it

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Balsa.3951 said:

u mean when I use my guardian with name blubblub for example than I switch to ranger and my name stays blubblub in guildchat? 

No, that's just due to lag. Your guild should always be showing both your current character's name and your account name at all times, provided that you are fully logged in (not in the character selection screen). So if you switch to your ranger, your guild should update to show your ranger's name after some time. But if it's specifically your guildmates who you want to call you a nickname, just tell them. They should honor it.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

My guild calls me by my chosen use name rather than my character name as a standard. This may be more a matter of you and your guild getting to know each other better if they are having difficulty calling you blubblub because you changed characters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

My guild calls me by my chosen use name rather than my character name as a standard. This may be more a matter of you and your guild getting to know each other better if they are having difficulty calling you blubblub because you changed characters.

I can't ask ppl to remember 23 names tho 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Embered.5089 said:

No, that's just due to lag. Your guild should always be showing both your current character's name and your account name at all times, provided that you are fully logged in (not in the character selection screen). So if you switch to your ranger, your guild should update to show your ranger's name after some time. But if it's specifically your guildmates who you want to call you a nickname, just tell them. They should honor it.

i see i never noticed that account name in chat 

• Confused 1

You won't see anyone's account name in chat unless they are marked as familiar. Familiar people include friends, followers, and guildmates. In order to see the person's account name in chat, hover your mouse over their character name.

It's not a setting that you turn on. It's just something that the game does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Embered.5089 said:

You won't see anyone's account name in chat unless they are marked as familiar. Familiar people include friends, followers, and guildmates. In order to see the person's account name in chat, hover your mouse over their character name.

It's not a setting that you turn on. It's just something that the game does.

in that case my suggestion stays valid to set a Nickname

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Embered.5089 said:

It won't be allowed. Otherwise, people would parade around with the same name and pretend to be someone else. It would also make it harder for someone to mail you or gift you, especially anonymously, if they didn't have a unique name to send it to.

I suppose it could be restricted to choosing one of your character names or your account name (in which case it would include the numbers). That way you can't pretend to be anyone else, but you can specify one of your names for everyone to use.

But I have to agree with everyone else that it doesn't seem necessary. I can only think of two occasions when everyone in guild chat didn't just use the account name to identify people. One was someone many of them had known for years, who was known by a shortened version of a character name from a previous game. It only mattered at all because they were the person to contact to join raid and Fractal groups and the message of the day used their old nickname. The solution there was to change the message and tell people who asked who it was refering to.

The other was a guild where all the members knew each other in real life, so we all used our real-life names. Then no fix was needed because everyone knew who everyone was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

No one's said they're against it, just that we don't understand the benefit of adding it, because it hasn't been explained yet.

Sometimes account and character name doesn't match the nickname. Idea is to expand a system 

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you want to be recognizable, use similar nicknames for your characters. If you're talking with someone and want to swap characters... tell them you're swapping characters. If you're talking with someone who's in your friendlist or guild, hoveing over their character names in chat reveals their account name.

I still don't see the purpose of having YET another ingame name on top of account/character names.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm always amazed how a simple question of "why is this needed for anything?" is being carefully avoided just to pretend the idea is being shot down for no reason.

I answered this, just because u dont need something doesn't mean others dont like a feature. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Balsa.3951 said:

Im always amazed how people in forums shot down additional features which would not bother them personal but help others.

I'm always amazed that people who want an unpopular feature don't realize that dev time and energy is spent to create that feature. That their niche request isn't alone.  There are thousands of niche requests that only would help a tiny number of people. If Anet did them all, there'd never be anything else done.

I saw someone recently ask for a reordering of where mats are taken from when crafting. They wished that the crafting interface would take the mats you need from mat storage before your bank. Aside from the fact that that wouldn't work for me, it's not a big deal now, and it can stay as it is, because there are hundreds if not thousands of tiny little requests. And while each of those requests might not take a huge amount of time (and they're all likely to take longer than we think do to sphaghetti code that always crops up in older games), the cumulative budget requirement in time and money (really the same thing in programming) would be far out of whack.

People wouldn't care if Anet could wave a magic wand and poof, it's done, but that's simply not the case. Most people would rather champion the stuff that makes sense to them, or that they see a reason for.

How is this in any way unreasonable?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

I answered this, just because u dont need something doesn't mean others dont like a feature. 

Sorry, but "just because you don't need it doesn't mean others don't like it" isn't an answer to the "why is this even needed?" question. I'm aware of the fact that people can like different things, but -again- that doesn't show the purpose/need of the idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1