I just wish this game had that one thing every other MMO has.

Some normal dungeons you can instantly queue for, that reward unique rewards such as armor sets and mount skins that can't be obtained elsewhere. (I know the original game features some of those, but we all know in which state they are, and besides that's still too few of them by this point)

If every LW episode since launch had brought one dungeon each, with unique armors, weapons and glider/mounts for every one of them (as well as progression towards long term goals like legendaries), the game would be much more appealing today.

I feel like it's a huge missed opportunity on a very basic, tried and tested MMO design element.

Edited by Aodlop.1907
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

I know what you mean, but I think it's more the delivery system that could use a tune-up. Specifically, the LFG system is a weak point when it comes to instanced group content. Not only do you have to advertise or join a party, but you then have to physically go to a specific map or portal in order to get where you're going instead of just selecting the desired activity from a list and getting a teleport prompt as soon as you have enough people or a space opens up in an existing group.

As a semi-relevant example, I can tell you right now that being able to use the World Boss Portal Device gets me doing world bosses way more than when I manually had to check maps or hope for an LFG listing I could get to the proper IP address for. Sometimes I open that thing and see an active boss I hadn't even considered going for that day and next thing I know I've done 4 or 5 of them. If I had a panel that'd let me opt-in to 'go do a dungeon' either at random or with specific selection, I'd be delighted.

For some, the manual nature of LFG is fine, but I think having a 'go do the thing from anywhere' method in addition to it would be useful in making instanced content more attractive/easier to pop in and do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Some normal dungeons you can instantly queue for, that reward unique rewards such as armor sets and mount skins that can't be obtained elsewhere. (I know the original game features some of those, but we all know in which state they are, and besides that's still too few of them by this point)

If every LW episode since launch had brought one dungeon each, with unique armors, weapons and glider/mounts for every one of them (as well as progression towards long term goals like legendaries), the game would be much more appealing today.

I feel like it's a huge missed opportunity on a very basic, tried and tested MMO design element.

Instead of 90% of the rewards being funneled through the gemstore?  Unfortunately, for long as this game remains free to play (after buying expansions), I don’t see this changing.  They need a source of income to fund further living story episodes with their existing staff. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2

I prefer the LFG system we have here. I almost never do dungeons in my other MMO precisely because the LFG tool dumps you into a random group, and that means you will get at least one person who apparently can't stand dungeons but feels forced to do them and so rushes through it as fast as possible, including skipping anything they can get past. That leaves the rest of the group with no option but to try to keep up or resign themselves to missing out on everything, including potentially the reward for killing the end boss. Doing the dungeons quest is out of the question but even checking out chests and other containers along the way means risking losing the end reward because the boss will be dead before you get in the room.

The system we have now means people who just want to get it over with as quickly as possible can advertise for like-minded people to join them but people who want to follow the story, explore or do anything other than a speed run can also use the LFG tool to find groups to play with.

I suppose we could have a random option in addition to the current system for people who find advertising or choosing a group too complicated, but I'd hate for that to be the only option.

Other than that it seems like we've already got what you're asking for, every dungeon has a unique armour set for each armour weight and a full weapon set and they're all fully playable.

I don't think we need one per living world episode. IMO one of the interesting things about GW2 which stops it being just another generic MMO is that a lot of 'end game' content is in the open world maps rather than restricted to short instances for small groups.

• Like 4

Why not both? I do like the instance dump feature suggested (used it in Lotro and SWTOR), but I also like being able to use the lfg and potentially fill it with friends

as for the rewards- nah, keep the gem store for mount skins and non legendary glider skins. I love this game and want it to keep going, so pay the devs 

On 11/21/2021 at 3:57 PM, mythical.6315 said:

Instead of 90% of the rewards being funneled through the gemstore?  Unfortunately, for long as this game remains free to play (after buying expansions), I don’t see this changing.  They need a source of income to fund further living story episodes with their existing staff. 

This. As long as gw2 remains a buy to play game, the bulk of cool skins we get will be in the cash shop, which makes them not-so cool as there isn't any exclusivity in their acquisition

I think a weekly dungeon path (Weekly bonus reward to promote playing a specific path) would do wonders for dungeons as well as a random grouping mode. (Just click enter to join any random group like Fort Aspenwood in GW1:Factions)

We have seen that the current Return to Living World is a greatly successful way to promote players going to existing content and allowing content that is not played too much to be fully active again.

• Like 1