GW2 Fishing!!! Yay!

Ok lol, i got infraction on the words i used, lemme rephrase lmao😂

PS: I don't want to freaking fish, i want to stab Leviathan in action.
Jeez Anet, wtf are you thinkin. You already had the best underwater combat mode than any other game.
You could have at least add an underwater world boss or two.

But seriously, its boring.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Sparrowspoo.8209 said:

I'm not the biggest fan of fishing just seems boring and I never liked underwater combat either,

Seems understandable to most gamers.

Most people just like horizontal gameplay.

I personally played games with a xyz axis eg: Battlefield series where I pilot jets and choppers or Gundam battle operations 2 space battles.

Have you tried underwater in action cam?

• Confused 3

Fishing was an odd choice and so far, it's not wow'ing me at all.
Also adding fishing to a game with great UW-combat once you wrapped your head around the 3D movement just makes no sense. If I, the commander of the pact, dragonslayer and god-stomper, want to go after some fish, I dive for them on my mighty skimmer and hunt the down.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Norbe.7630 said:

Jeez Anet, wtf are you thinkin. You already had the best underwater combat mode than any other game.
You could have at least add an underwater world boss or two.

If there's no underwater content in this expansion, I'm going to throw a tantrum. 😄

I'm serious: underwater exploration has been shamefully neglected by ANet for most part. Since the Jade Sea is no longer 100% solid jade, I am expecting some exciting underwater action!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

Also adding fishing to a game with great UW-combat once you wrapped your head around the 3D movement just makes no sense. If I, the commander of the pact, dragonslayer and god-stomper, want to go after some fish, I dive for them on my mighty skimmer and hunt the down.

What would the commander do? Use a harpoon gun to fish? Harpoon guns for fishing! Lol! What's next? Spearfishing? Lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Quench.7091 said:

What would the commander do? Use a harpoon gun to fish? Harpoon guns for fishing! 

The slayer of dragons, god killer, immortal deity of a commander can definetly go fishing...

... unless he's an engineer in which case fish swim faster than the harpoon gun and if a projectile by some miracle connect with a fish, the fish stops, turn slowly, glare at the commander and then laughs as it swims away.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If there's no underwater content in this expansion, I'm going to throw a tantrum. 😄

I'm serious: underwater exploration has been shamefully neglected by ANet for most part. Since the Jade Sea is no longer 100% solid jade, I am expecting some exciting underwater action!

Yep underwater needs some love.

I came from a country which have the most beautiful bodies of water in the world surrounding it and fishing is never an enjoyment to me.

I would just dive 20ft feet below the crystal clear waters to hand catch fishes, crabs, lobsters etc, then grill it and have feast with beer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

The slayer of dragons, god killer, immortal deity of a commander can definetly go fishing...

... unless he's an engineer in which case fish swim faster than the harpoon gun and if a projectile by some miracle connect with a fish, the fish stops, turn slowly, glare at the commander and then laughs as it swims away.

As an Engineer you obviously resort to the noble art of dynamite fishing.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

I mean... if you want to gather some herbs or chop some wood, then you -the commander of the pact, dragon slayer and godstomper- buy some or send some peasants to grab them for you. And yet, for some reason, you keep your gathering tools with you to gather that stuff yourself. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I mean... if you want to gather some herbs or chop some wood, then you -the commander of the pact, dragon slayer and godstomper- buy some or send some peasants to grab them for you. And yet, for some reason, you keep your gathering tools with you to gather that stuff yourself. 🤷‍♂️

Nah, I am a commander, dragonslayer and god-stomper of the people who enjoys gathering at least some of the materials he uses for himself. Keeps you connected to the common folk, you know 😉

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, lokh.2695 said:

Nah, I am a commander, dragonslayer and god-stomper of the people who enjoys gathering at least some of the materials he uses for himself. Keeps you connected to the common folk, you know 😉

Thanks for re-explaining my point, where exactly same logic applies to the activity you were commenting on 😁 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Thanks for re-explaining my point, where exactly same logic applies to the activity you were commenting on 😁 

Well, got me there.
But would you be hyped for an Expansion where "chop wood all around the world" was one of the biggest selling points? Does "Hey there, customer wondering wether or not to get into this! Did you know in GW2 you can harvest plants on more than 50 beautyful maps?" sound ike a good sell?

Look, I never got what the "We need fishing nao!"-crowd got from this activity and always thought it would be a waste of resources to implemet it. That worked when these were just the weekly suggestion threads. Now we know, fishing is happening and all there's left for me, is hoping they will pull off something amazing with this, imho extremly boring, concept. They did mounts after all...

But so far, and I know we didn't get to test/play it yet, it looks exactly as I imagined it to be. You find a spot and play a mini-game for semi-randomized loot and probably some, i fear rather grindy, collections. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea and many people like to play mini-games, I even like to play some of the activities now and then or when they're daily, but I don't think it makes for a major feature of an Expansion.

I'm still open for ANet to wow me. If anyone can suprise me with *fishing like it's never been done before" it's ANet. It just doesn't look a lot like it's happening at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Well, got me there.
But would you be hyped for an Expansion where "chop wood all around the world" was one of the biggest selling points? Does "Hey there, customer wondering wether or not to get into this! Did you know in GW2 you can harvest plants on more than 50 beautyful maps?" sound ike a good sell?

Oh, but you were talking about it from the perspective of ingame lore, so to speak, so that's what I commented on. If now you're deciding to change your take on that, I'll respond accordingly with two things that come to my mind here:

1. this is not the same mechanically, since fishing is more like a minigame -whether you like it or not- where you need to actively do something to succeed, while gathering is just pressing F.

2. Why do you think this is supposed to be "one of the biggest selling points"? The biggest selling points are the ""basics"" that make the expansion in the first place, like story going forward; new maps/items/events/metas/other inherently map-related additions; especs. Then you throw in additional/new stuff like 2-player mount, skiffs (which are basically another type of multiplayer mount with ability to walk freely on them) and a new activity, which is the fishing. I'm not sure why people complaining about the fishing make an effort to pretend that anyone "wants them to buy expansions so they can fish 24/7, since this is what this expansion is". It just isn't, since the expansion is the whole package.

Not commenting on the rest of the post, since it seems to be "I don't like it, I don't want it" -ok, you're free to dislike/not want it. But lets not pretend that anybody expects you to "buy the expansion so you can fish all the time" or something. The expansion is much more than a single feature.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

Maybe the fishing here will be a little more... dramatic than we expect. As in, maybe at some point our eager anglers might step back and say something like, "I think we're going to need bigger grubs."

Say! Has anyone read 'The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth' by Roger Zelazny? Heck of a fishing story! Be cool if someone at anet was inspired by it.

See also:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Oh, but you were talking about it from the perspective of ingame lore, so to speak, so that's what I commented on. If now you're deciding to change your take on that, I'll respond accordingly with two things that come to my mind here:

1. this is not the same mechanically, since fishing is more like a minigame -whether you like it or not- where you need to actively do something to succeed, while gathering is just pressing F.

2. Why do you think this is supposed to be "one of the biggest selling points"? The biggest selling points are the ""basics"" that make the expansion in the first place, like story going forward; new maps/items/events/metas/other inherently map-related additions; especs. Then you throw in additional/new stuff like 2-player mount, skiffs (which are basically another type of multiplayer mount with ability to walk freely on them) and a new activity, which is the fishing. I'm not sure why people complaining about the fishing make an effort to pretend that anyone "wants them to buy expansions so they can fish 24/7, since this is what this expansion is". It just isn't, since the expansion is the whole package.

Not commenting on the rest of the post, since it seems to be "I don't like it, I don't want it" -ok, you're free to dislike/not want it. But lets not pretend that anybody expects you to "buy the expansion so you can fish all the time" or something. The expansion is much more than a single feature.

You’ve made an awful lot of a tossed off post about how they’d rather just jump into the water and do battle than sit with a stick.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

You’ve made an awful lot of a tossed off post about how they’d rather just jump into the water and do battle than sit with a stick.

There was one response about that, then he said something else and I responded to that something else. My post you've quoted has nothing to do with what you're talking about here, since "jumping into the water and doing battle" part was already dropped at that point. Glad you hopped in to add nothing relevant to the topic though 🙋‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Iirc Fishing got the same screen time as skiffs, the turtle and Legendaries f.e. in the original teaser/trailer. So I think it's fair to say that, while no one is probably buying EoD to fish 24/7, at least for ANet it seems to be one of the main features of this expansion. It's just a rather underwhelming one imho.

Ok, so it's a more engaging form of gathering, cool we get to time our f-pressing now and maybe press another button every now and then. Tell me, does the mini-game look to you like it's going to be fun six months after its release? We already have quite a few mini-games that don't get much traffic outside of dailies.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, lokh.2695 said:

Iirc Fishing got the same screen time as skiffs, the turtle and Legendaries f.e. in the original teaser/trailer. So I think it's fair to say that, while no one is probably buying EoD to fish 24/7, at least for ANet it seems to be one of the main features of this expansion. It's just a rather underwhelming one imho.

Ok, so it's a more engaging form of gathering, cool we get to time our f-pressing now and maybe press another button every now and then. Tell me, does the mini-game look to you like it's going to be fun six months after its release? We already have quite a few mini-games that don't get much traffic outside of dailies.

Thing is fishing is a staple for most MMOs, so GW2 not having it has always been odd. Granted, I know some people don't care for it because they think it is boring, but there is also a lot of people that love fishing in MMOs as well though. I am of the fanbase that loves fishing in MMOs, so them finally adding it is a blessing to people like me with something that probably didn't take a lot of work compared a new map with events and stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HoT gave us gliding/masteries

PoF gave us mounts/masteries

EoD ..... fishing/masteries

Anet blessed WvW with gliding and a mount.

Give me one good freaking reason on how to integrate fishing in WvW.

An underwater mastery should have given hope to the ever continuous bleeding playerbase mode by making them think of a possibly new mode or map.

Are you not entertained.... Are you not entertained?

Edited by Norbe.7630
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4