Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Really want to like this game


Recommended Posts

But there is just way too few features and content in this game actually rewards the player. I do really love the art style and how characters look, even though there is no story and/or bound to a paywall I enjoyed the scarlet event back in the day. I just can't get the work the economy in this game, I came back to time to time, there is just too many group content and too few solo things to do. I do not want to create 10 useless alts to get some lumber from a tree or park them there daily. I think what this game fails to do, is solo focused content, not many people can join a guild with people they do not know, nor they should, many guilds are die hard hardcore people kicks people eith a single mistake. I understand this is a MMORPG game but there should be solo content too in acceptable size. From what I see even dungeons behind a DLC and no one doing strikes. plus their rewards are trash, just random boxes chests that gives nothing valuable.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 19
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we play the same game?

Besides Raids i play 90% of the Game solo. I don't plant Alts on nodes or anything like that. I play the way i want and do enjoy the things i like.

Your entire post makes zero sense. And the contribution with the guild shows me that you probably had one or two bad experience and therefore are now salty and want to make that known and pick  stuff out of your sleeves that you may have heard from someone just to be salty.

Good that there are more games than just GW2.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not every game is for every person.  That said, I solo 95% of the time in GW2 and love it.  I never have "nothing to do."  Have you tried crafting?  I find it fun but some don't.  I love exploring on my own, don't like strikes or PvP so I don't do that content.

 

If you do want to try group content, it's easy to find a beginner-friendly guild.  I agree that some guilds and some players are horribly rude and discouraging.  Get away from that toxicity.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ezikeo.5047 said:

This game is probably one of the most solo-friendly game. Also with the amount of time you spend, the game is rewarding, hence it respects your time. Gearing is extremely easy also, there's so many different paths you can take. What game are you playing?

The downlevel system killed solo game. Most of the solo dungeons I've seen are using exploits and tricks (special objects) and armor-swap addons, and some of them arent soloable like citadel of flame or arah.

  • Confused 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, frareanselm.1925 said:

The downlevel system killed solo game. Most of the solo dungeons I've seen are using exploits and tricks (special objects) and armor-swap addons, and some of them arent soloable like citadel of flame or arah.

Dungeons are a tiny part of this game. I realise other MMOs train players to fixate on dungeons and raids and see everything else as a training ground for entering dungeons but that's not the way GW2 works. Which is part of the reason it's a very solo-friendly game: a lot of the 'end game' activities which give interesting rewards or simply lots of stuff to sell, achievements etc. are in open-world maps so even if you can't do it truly solo with no one else around you can still complete it without having to form a party by playing alongside anyone else who happens to be there when you are.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SaskiaElite.8132 said:

But there is just way too few features and content in this game actually rewards the player. I do really love the art style and how characters look, even though there is no story and/or bound to a paywall I enjoyed the scarlet event back in the day. I just can't get the work the economy in this game, I came back to time to time, there is just too many group content and too few solo things to do. I do not want to create 10 useless alts to get some lumber from a tree or park them there daily. I think what this game fails to do, is solo focused content, not many people can join a guild with people they do not know, nor they should, many guilds are die hard hardcore people kicks people eith a single mistake. I understand this is a MMORPG game but there should be solo content too in acceptable size. From what I see even dungeons behind a DLC and no one doing strikes. plus their rewards are trash, just random boxes chests that gives nothing valuable.

 

The vast majority of the content in this game is solo oriented or solo-able. You've got 90+%, do you begrudge others the remaining 10?

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SaskiaElite.8132 said:

But there is just way too few features and content in this game actually rewards the player. I do really love the art style and how characters look, even though there is no story and/or bound to a paywall I enjoyed the scarlet event back in the day. I just can't get the work the economy in this game, I came back to time to time, there is just too many group content and too few solo things to do. I do not want to create 10 useless alts to get some lumber from a tree or park them there daily. I think what this game fails to do, is solo focused content, not many people can join a guild with people they do not know, nor they should, many guilds are die hard hardcore people kicks people eith a single mistake. I understand this is a MMORPG game but there should be solo content too in acceptable size. From what I see even dungeons behind a DLC and no one doing strikes. plus their rewards are trash, just random boxes chests that gives nothing valuable.

 

Back in June you said you were farming dungeons regularly, so I'm not sure how you're now under the impression that they're all part of DLC. But in case you've forgotten since then: it's actually the opposite. All the games dungeons are available to everyone (even free accounts) there are none which are part of expansions or Living World episodes, those only give you access to raids and strikes which are like mini raids with just 1 boss. As well as the 8 which were in the game at release there's Fractals which is like a set of dungeons but with some unique mechanics to give it long-term progression, with increasing rewards as you go up the levels.

However as I said in my last post dungeons are a tiny part of this game, not the be-all-and-end-all end game they are in some other MMOs. The majority of content takes place in open-world maps, including base game maps. Silverwastes (on the west side of the base game area, next to the Heart of Thorns maps) is one of the most popular farming maps in the game and available to everyone. You don't need to be in a guild or group, you can just go there and join in with the events just like you would on any other map.

I'm also not sure how you can miss the main story since the only way to get the green story prompt off your screen is to complete the entire thing. Side stories are easier to miss - each dungeon has 4 for example (1 in story mode and 3 in explorable mode) but many players will skip the cut scenes and ignore the other dialogue, but it's there if you want it. Likewise a lot of maps and event chains tell a story but you need to listen to the NPCs if you want to know about it.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SaskiaElite.8132 said:

But there is just way too few features and content in this game actually rewards the player. I do really love the art style and how characters look, even though there is no story and/or bound to a paywall I enjoyed the scarlet event back in the day. I just can't get the work the economy in this game, I came back to time to time, there is just too many group content and too few solo things to do. I do not want to create 10 useless alts to get some lumber from a tree or park them there daily. I think what this game fails to do, is solo focused content, not many people can join a guild with people they do not know, nor they should, many guilds are die hard hardcore people kicks people eith a single mistake. I understand this is a MMORPG game but there should be solo content too in acceptable size. From what I see even dungeons behind a DLC and no one doing strikes. plus their rewards are trash, just random boxes chests that gives nothing valuable.

 

You honeslty seem to have the wrong impression. Im sorry that your experience lead you to think this. I can assure you the game has many casual guilds that dont ever kick people unless they are just really negative or mean or inactive a very long time. Most guilds try to keep an active roster and might remove long idle players. Maybe that's what happened? 

 

GW2 is mostly all soloable, but starting out with only core spec depending the class and build I can see how you might feel like you want some friends along, but honeslty if you go through the trial and error of making some mistakes and learning you would find the game is designed to do things like revive you have NPCs who assist with things like reflect bubbles and checkpoints in stories that usually let you avoid getting stuck as long as you figure out the objective and do what ever mechanics and interactions are required. I will be the first to say some content may not always be ideally designed to lead the player to the next objective, but in those cases you will find answers here, the wiki, youtube, map chat, etc.

 

If you are trying to base everything you know from the F2P DL client then I would just say even that is very good, but its hard mode in comparison because its designed to let you play but still limit things enough that a serious player would logically want to buy the game eventually. If you have been playing years maybe buy the game and see for yourself. Most of the players here payed for the game and have not had the experience you did. I can only guess you have not given it much effort and are making assumptions about things like guilds based on your limited perspective as F2P. Personally, I avoid inviting F2P players to my guild because they can be trolls and scammers and I have had them do things like steal from the guild vault in the past when I tried to be inclusive. So again I think you are just mistaken and maybe focused too much on things like low level game experience as f2p.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we talking about Guild Wars 2 here? Anyway, assuming you genuinely believe what your post, in a sense you are right, most well rewarding content in the game can be called group content, it's even called such by the game (either "meta" or "group" event). However, most group content in this game can be perfectly enjoyed without the need to join pre-made groups. Although it's content that cannot be finished solo, you don't need to join a group to finish it either.

 

If you are intimidated by how other mmorpgs treat their group content, forced pre-mades, no shared loot etc, you should know that none of that is used in this game, you can just tag along other players without joining their actual group. You will earn the same rewards by hitting the same mobs they do, you will get healing and buffs just by being close, instead of being party/group limited. It helps to join Squads if for nothing else, but to see where everyone is, it takes no effort to join one as well.

 

It might be called group content, it might look like group content, but it's nothing like group content of other games. It's more fun, more accessible and with zero commitment involved.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

If you are trying to base everything you know from the F2P DL client then I would just say even that is very good, but its hard mode in comparison because its designed to let you play but still limit things enough that a serious player would logically want to buy the game eventually. If you have been playing years maybe buy the game and see for yourself. Most of the players here payed for the game and have not had the experience you did. I can only guess you have not given it much effort and are making assumptions about things like guilds based on your limited perspective as F2P. Personally, I avoid inviting F2P players to my guild because they can be trolls and scammers and I have had them do things like steal from the guild vault in the past when I tried to be inclusive. So again I think you are just mistaken and maybe focused too much on things like low level game experience as f2p.

Free players cannot post on the forum, so the OP must be using a paid account.

(There was a bug where they could briefly post in the End of Dragons section, but then the tag under their profile picture said 'Free Member' instead of 'Member'.)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaskiaElite.8132 said:

many guilds are die hard hardcore people kicks people eith a single mistake

Now that's a lie -and in this case it's one of those mostly repeated by people not joining groups in the first place (possibly partially due to being scared away by claims like the one you repeated above).

And there's a lot of solo content, so I'm really not sure what this complaint in general is supposed to be.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

You honeslty seem to have the wrong impression. Im sorry that your experience lead you to think this. I can assure you the game has many casual guilds that dont ever kick people unless they are just really negative or mean or inactive a very long time. Most guilds try to keep an active roster and might remove long idle players. Maybe that's what happened? 

 

GW2 is mostly all soloable, but starting out with only core spec depending the class and build I can see how you might feel like you want some friends along, but honeslty if you go through the trial and error of making some mistakes and learning you would find the game is designed to do things like revive you have NPCs who assist with things like reflect bubbles and checkpoints in stories that usually let you avoid getting stuck as long as you figure out the objective and do what ever mechanics and interactions are required. I will be the first to say some content may not always be ideally designed to lead the player to the next objective, but in those cases you will find answers here, the wiki, youtube, map chat, etc.

 

If you are trying to base everything you know from the F2P DL client then I would just say even that is very good, but its hard mode in comparison because its designed to let you play but still limit things enough that a serious player would logically want to buy the game eventually. If you have been playing years maybe buy the game and see for yourself. Most of the players here payed for the game and have not had the experience you did. I can only guess you have not given it much effort and are making assumptions about things like guilds based on your limited perspective as F2P. Personally, I avoid inviting F2P players to my guild because they can be trolls and scammers and I have had them do things like steal from the guild vault in the past when I tried to be inclusive. So again I think you are just mistaken and maybe focused too much on things like low level game experience as f2p.

Play4Free players usually can't post on the forums.  OP states she/he enjoyed Scarlet Briar (Season One), so I'd guess she/he had been around for quite some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

People do strikes most days and honestly, that's not solo content anyway.  But the amount of meta events you can just rock up to solo is unheard of. Plenty of money to be made doing metas, and you never have to group with anyone aside from getting a taxi to the active zone.  I have no idea what the OP is on about.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Solo content shouldn't be as rewarding as group content, so if that's your complaint there's no help for you.  However, group content especially in open world is very solo friendly.  You don't need to join a squad in most cases. Just show up.

It's even possible to solo many open world bosses, even some legendary/meta bosses. What other game let's you do that as a solo player?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, frareanselm.1925 said:

The downlevel system killed solo game. Most of the solo dungeons I've seen are using exploits and tricks (special objects) and armor-swap addons, and some of them arent soloable like citadel of flame or arah.

That has nothing to do with downleveling and everything to do with the fact that ANet decided they were simply not going to any resources on dungeons.

 

3 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

aside from getting a taxi to the active zone.

and even that can be mostly avoided by arriving a bit early

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SaskiaElite.8132 said:

But there is just way too few features and content in this game actually rewards the player. I do really love the art style and how characters look, even though there is no story and/or bound to a paywall I enjoyed the scarlet event back in the day. I just can't get the work the economy in this game, I came back to time to time, there is just too many group content and too few solo things to do. I do not want to create 10 useless alts to get some lumber from a tree or park them there daily. I think what this game fails to do, is solo focused content, not many people can join a guild with people they do not know, nor they should, many guilds are die hard hardcore people kicks people eith a single mistake. I understand this is a MMORPG game but there should be solo content too in acceptable size. From what I see even dungeons behind a DLC and no one doing strikes. plus their rewards are trash, just random boxes chests that gives nothing valuable.

 

Go into your achievements, and start doing the ones with the rewards you want. Start with the weapons for the specializations. As for the reward chests, you use them to make gold and buy what you want, be it in the TP, or on the gem store. Without luck, most of the rewards can seem pretty bland, but I promise you, the mats sell, and the money adds up.

 

The problem you're having (just like myself long ago) is there is too much too do, and everything is left pretty open. This is far less a WoW clone than WoW players would lead you to believe. You aren't funneled into a certain path. You can do what you like, and not feel held back. You have to figure out what you want (gear, adventure, combat, PvE or PvP, etc) then you'll probably need to go outside the game to get a really good idea on how to do that. 

 

The collections are going to be the closest thing to gear quests you'll find. Figuring out a routine is good for learning the game, too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I laughed out loud reading your first sentence, the rest doesn't make much sense to me, either. I play this game almost exclusively solo (whatever that means in an MMO, anyway) and I have never felt unrewarded for my time. I think you are looking for something this game can't give you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

Go into your achievements, and start doing the ones with the rewards you want. Start with the weapons for the specializations. As for the reward chests, you use them to make gold and buy what you want, be it in the TP, or on the gem store. Without luck, most of the rewards can seem pretty bland, but I promise you, the mats sell, and the money adds up.

 

The problem you're having (just like myself long ago) is there is too much too do, and everything is left pretty open. This is far less a WoW clone than WoW players would lead you to believe. You aren't funneled into a certain path. You can do what you like, and not feel held back. You have to figure out what you want (gear, adventure, combat, PvE or PvP, etc) then you'll probably need to go outside the game to get a really good idea on how to do that. 

 

The collections are going to be the closest thing to gear quests you'll find. Figuring out a routine is good for learning the game, too. 

If he/she hasn't learned the game since Season One,  it may be a lost cause.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

That has nothing to do with downleveling and everything to do with the fact that ANet decided they were simply not going to any resources on dungeons.

@frareanselm.1925 is talking about completing dungeons solo, which compared to some other games is very difficult. In a lot of games, including several other MMOs, soloing dungeons is simply a matter of waiting until you're so far above the recommended level that it will be easy. For example Ascalon Catacombs story mode is level 30 so in many games by level 60 you'd be able to go in and one-shot everything because they're 1/2 your level. In GW2 that will never happen, because of down scaling - go in at level 80 and you're only slightly stronger than at level 30.

It is still possible to solo some dungeons, but it's slow and often requires using specialist builds rather than simply out-levelling it. I was able to do Caduceus's Manor story mode solo with my normal build on a level 80 ranger in full ascended, but it took over an hour, I died several times and sometimes had to resort to 'gimmicks' like using a longbow or pet to pull one enemy away from a group. I'm not the best player and my builds aren't amazing so it might be easier for some other people, but it's still not as easy as in games which don't use down scaling.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SaskiaElite.8132 said:

But there is just way too few features and content in this game actually rewards the player.

:classic_huh:

21 hours ago, SaskiaElite.8132 said:

there is just too many group content and too few solo things to do.

Again: :classic_huh:

I think you might not have given the game enough playtime to discover for yourself how wrong that assumption really is. I played solo for years before I actually gave group content a chance.

I suggest you try to start doing the story in chronological order, and the achievement related to it. You will find the game to be super solo-friendly in general and that it provides quite a few rewards for that playstyle.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...