End of Dragons Elite Specialization Updates

Fire Attunement.9835

Excuse me while I go on a BIG wall of text about this, but I hope at the very least, you'll take the time to skim what I have to say. Before I go on, I'd just like to point out, that Catalyst will never work without a higher base health pool and a STRONGER Downed state. 

Without further ado, this will be mostly referring to the Alacribender stuff.

I don’t believe we should depend on each Class for a specific Boon, this is stupid, as if Chronomancer were truly the only class that had alacrity, then Chronomancer would depend on Alacrity upkeep, rather than its own core mechanics, meaning the only reason anyone would keep a Chronomancer in a group, whether it be raid, wvw, pvp, or squad, is due to its alacrity.
If it didn’t have alacrity, then it really wouldn’t be useful. That shouldn’t be the case, because really in most raids, you’d be better off with Chronomancer, and find other ways of getting alacrity, heck even two renegades will allow for a perma alacrity without Chronomancer.

Willbenders being allowed to use Alacrity is 100% acceptable, but I don’t think it should be a support type subclass at all. If we make every elite spec capable of filling as much as roles as possible, no one would play the older ones, thus pushing them out, to an extent anyhow. 

Willbender being focused on different playstyles of DPS works way better, especially since Guardian’s base/core support is already so powerful, it wouldn’t need too much. What I really like about Elite Specs is that they’re supposed to be a key, a door, to the new playstyle of Classes in GW2, and the one spec that does this THE BEST is Specter. 

Specter, the new elite spec for thief, is not a wannabe necro, but rather the combination of the two classes to create something new, my only complaint is that its shroud needs improvements. Other than that, it was executed well in comparison to most classes.

Elementalist has always been a favor of long-range, and mage type abilities, for it’s elite specs to not be focused on fewer things but to be a generalist turns the Espec into a power-up rather than an entirely new feel of a class. The problem is Elementalist is a generalist, so its still gonna mostly feel like power-ups no matter what with each ESPEC.

Tempest was originally a heavy support, partial condi, or heavy condi, partial support. While it still pertains somewhat to this as of today, it’s focus is no longer on those two things, but rather the “generalist” feel on elementalist.

Again. It’s not an elementalist anymore. It’s a tempest now, it shouldn’t feel “generalist”, same goes with Weaver. As far as pvp content goes, Weaver is at a place where it feels “generalist” and “dps-oriented” but not “focused on dps playstyle”, meaning it can still do a little bit of everything. 

For PvE, not so much, it actually does pretty good in PVE, and personally, I prefer PVE Weaver. 
Catalyst, the new espec falls in the same issue. Catalyst is supposed to have a “steady presence in combat”, essentially, what they’re saying is they want it to be tanky, so rather than being group support, it should be more self-sustaining itself, with a higher base armor + health/vitality. 

It should have abilities that can synergize by keeping itself alive while beating down its opponents. I love that some of the new updates to it, allows the possibility of a zerging Catalyst, which would do the opposite of its proposed idea, which would actually fit really well. 

I think Catalyst should be capable of some really tanky kitten, or really zergy strike damage stuff. Elementalist isn’t as “zerker” as it used to be, the glass canon staff for example, was one of the prime examples of how Elementalist could do anything back in Core, and it was incredibly powerful, with still obvious weaknesses. 

However, other builds could change this where Elementalist was more condi, or support, or a hybrid of any of them, it basically had everything, but then Elite specs came in, and well...it caused clunky issues. 

Anyways I’ve begun to ramble on, so before I start saying kitten that’ll be confusing, I’ll end here with a bit of a TLDR

Willbender should be allowed to use and grant Alacrity, but I don't think it should be focused on it, or something it can primarily do, as it's based off of a "Shaolin Monk", what I mean by this is if you notice, Willbenders tend to fall in a "powerful quick execution fighter with a bit of martial arts". 

Catalyst needs a higher base health pool, and Elementalist needs a rework otherwise it's only to get clunkier from here on out.

ESpecs need to feel more like a subclass, than a power-up.

Finally, I'd like to point out one more time, that Willbender being capable of healing is just utterly stupid, and with that I conclude my rambling rant. Thank you ~ A Major Fan of this Game Franchise. 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 5:17 AM, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

It's pretty simple to understand really. Inital Luch Forest promoted you running full shoutheal builds and spamming them Off CD with no actual interaction. It simply became a press all your skills to gain Lush Forest and have them reacharge to spam them more. That's not very intuitive gameplay, especially for warrior which is a class it has been argued to lack depth in gameplay options/potential.

Initial Lush Forest would nerf Tactics, would increase shout CDs even. If that didn't happen, it would hit Tactical Reload, an elite that has use outside of Shout builds.

Arguably this version of Lush Forest (ICD of 1 sec isn't much of a nerf tbh) provides benefts at the start of the fght wthout havng burned out your CDs to engage. Not sure if they follow a similar strategy for Unshakable Mountain. Point being, Ammo -> Tactical Reload -> Ammo still gives you said benefit with 3 consecutive CD decreases, allowing you to store a final charge for actual use. 

Last beta some would basically spam SiO and spam every other skill to bring it back, just to capitalize on Lush Forest, leaving someone with no stunbreak for example till the skill refreshed.

Unlike Mantras, this isn't a situation you don't want to use your final skill at all. You want to keep it for when it matters. Lush Forest and Tactical Reload with the number of Ammo skill we can have can easily compensate you with the first charge of your skill in the meantime. 

Managing skills with Lush forest has simply become more elaborate. It needs some resource management. That's quite good gameplay other classes should have since we are the bar to ok balance. 

Ah, I'm not sure I feel the same, but I guess we'll see how it ends up. Thanks for elaborating.

• Thanks 1

Vindicator's Greatsword has poor synergy with Kurzick Alliance skills

One problem with Vindicator's greatsword skills, besides being generally too vanilla/generic, is that they have little to no synergy with the Kurzick side of the alliance.

Let's suppose that a player may wish to go for a Ventari+(Kurzick)Alliance support build. They will clearly use Staff in one weapon set, but what about the remaining set? Mace/Axe and Sword/Sword are both kind of pointless in a support build, and Shield is Herald-exclusive. For that reason, Greatsword needs to have some extra utility that a support Vindicator would wish to have, or else there is a clear mismatch between what is an exclusively DPS weapon and a hybrid legend.

But there's still another problem, which is how overloaded Staff is as a support weapon. It has everything. It is great at support, great at self-defense and great at CCing foes. It does way too many things too well. So I suggest Anet to take away one of the staff's 3 strenghts and put it into the greatsword. The most obvious one is self-defense: staff is meant to be about support, so that one shouldn't go; and greatsword has no CC skill; it does have, however, a block skill, so we can start with that. Remove the evade from staff #5 (and compensate it by putting more power somewhere there, like additional healing in its heal skills, for example, or reverting #5 initial's charge time), and further improve Greatsword's defensive properties. This would make Staff+Greatsword complement each other for support-focused builds that wish to invest on Kurzick's side of the Alliance Stance. Basically, take away from a weapon that does too many things too well, and put it into a weapon that is kind of one-dimension and needs something more if Vindicator is truly meant to be hybrid dps-support (or, at least, if it is meant to be played as one, even if optionally).

So, what kind of things can be done to Greatsword?

First, #3 could gain evade frames, if it doesn't already. And either #2 or #3 could apply Chill, both to combo with #5 and (in competitive) to help allies kite their opponents.

For #4, add an AoE taunt on Imperial Guard, and a Slow or Blind on True Strike. Those are very Revenant-ish effects, so they wouldn't be out of place. They would also add some additional synergy with the kit. From a DPS point of view, an AoE taunt will allow to pull in melee enemies, which in turn will make it easy to AoE bomb them, which is what this weapon is supposed to be good at, right? Open-world pve players would especially enjoy that. From a support point of view, both the taunt and the slow/blind speak for themselves.

With my suggestions, I believe Greatsword's kit would feel more "complete": extra synergy with the support side of the legend; but it would also give it a clearer combo/rotation to use even for DPS builds, which I feel it is lacking at the moment. Greatsword, so far, is mostly a collection of copy-pasted skills from somewhere (besides #5, which is clearly the star of the show) and with no clear gameplay plan. By having easier access to chill, you would be able to combo it with #5; and by having an AoE taunt, you would have an easier time to ball your enemies or to not let them spread.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Tails.9372 said:

What they should have done here is to add bonus effects to the traits that buff the player when the mech isn't summoned

They specifically removed this kind of traits years ago from classes like berserker. They very specifically dont want you to be of any good on downtime. They call it... "the trade off". I think is some kind of drug that eats their brain cells.

Edited by Mesket.5728

7 hours ago, Skyroar.2974 said:

Vindicator's Greatsword has poor synergy with Kurzick Alliance skills

One problem with Vindicator's greatsword skills, besides being generally too vanilla/generic, is that they have little to no synergy with the Kurzick side of the alliance.

Let's suppose that a player may wish to go for a Ventari+(Kurzick)Alliance support build. They will clearly use Staff in one weapon set, but what about the remaining set? Mace/Axe and Sword/Sword are both kind of pointless in a support build, and Shield is Herald-exclusive. For that reason, Greatsword needs to have some extra utility that a support Vindicator would wish to have, or else there is a clear mismatch between what is an exclusively DPS weapon and a hybrid legend.

But there's still another problem, which is how overloaded Staff is as a support weapon. It has everything. It is great at support, great at self-defense and great at CCing foes. It does way too many things too well. So I suggest Anet to take away one of the staff's 3 strenghts and put it into the greatsword. The most obvious one is self-defense: staff is meant to be about support, so that one shouldn't go; and greatsword has no CC skill; it does have, however, a block skill, so we can start with that. Remove the evade from staff #5 (and compensate it by putting more power somewhere there, like additional healing in its heal skills, for example, or reverting #5 initial's charge time), and further improve Greatsword's defensive properties. This would make Staff+Greatsword complement each other for support-focused builds that wish to invest on Kurzick's side of the Alliance Stance. Basically, take away from a weapon that does too many things too well, and put it into a weapon that is kind of one-dimension and needs something more if Vindicator is truly meant to be hybrid dps-support (or, at least, if it is meant to be played as one, even if optionally).

So, what kind of things can be done to Greatsword?

First, #3 could gain evade frames, if it doesn't already. And either #2 or #3 could apply Chill, both to combo with #5 and (in competitive) to help allies kite their opponents.

For #4, add an AoE taunt on Imperial Guard, and a Slow or Blind on True Strike. Those are very Revenant-ish effects, so they wouldn't be out of place. They would also add some additional synergy with the kit. From a DPS point of view, an AoE taunt will allow to pull in melee enemies, which in turn will make it easy to AoE bomb them, which is what this weapon is supposed to be good at, right? Open-world pve players would especially enjoy that. From a support point of view, both the taunt and the slow/blind speak for themselves.

With my suggestions, I believe Greatsword's kit would feel more "complete": extra synergy with the support side of the legend; but it would also give it a clearer combo/rotation to use even for DPS builds, which I feel it is lacking at the moment. Greatsword, so far, is mostly a collection of copy-pasted skills from somewhere (besides #5, which is clearly the star of the show) and with no clear gameplay plan. By having easier access to chill, you would be able to combo it with #5; and by having an AoE taunt, you would have an easier time to ball your enemies or to not let them spread.

Yeah, let's nerf the single good one of the revenant weapons just because greatsword is undertuned trash and you are trying to ram a role into a spec that should have never been a support spec when Herald and Renegade already exist.

Herald is rotting in absolute irrelevance as a support in PvE, outranked by renegade in every way, and here you are wanting to nerf staff so you can pursue the absolute gimmick that would be greatsword support with that Kurzick gimmick that should not exist as a heal spec to begin with.

Vindicator was supposed to be the power DPS spec, period. Saint Viktor and Archemorus should both be serving offensive needs, with Viktor probably providing offensive support like boonstrips, mobility, blocks while Archemorus applies the damage and CC aspects.

Incredible that we have players trying to fit a square into a circle socket and would rather break perfectly functional tools to do so.

Edited by Zenith.7301
  • Like 8

Many of the changes are very welcome and appreciated, but I have to point several aspects remain to be adressed :

Mechanist : Nerfing the mech may have been inevitable, but doesn't solve the problem of the Mechanist themself not being particularly strong when it is killed off. Adding to it the incentive to use the Mace to trigger some of the Mech's attacks further limits it's ability and leads in squarely on my second point :

Confusion. Is. Weak. Confusion is not well supported by engineers and none of the Mechanist traits change that. Sigils and runes that could potentially help with that requires going All in on Confusion when Bleed and Burn are far, far more effective. Confusion needs to be supported better for the Mace to be an attractive proposition.

I'm going to link this in to hammer in my point Confusion - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) Take a look at the amount of traits that synergize with Confusion. Now take a look at Bleeding : Bleeding - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) . Then Burning : Burning - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) . There is no contest here. And please dont use that as me asking you to nerf Burning and Bleeding. Just give Engineers a Confusion Potential. Because they have none.

Lastly : Engineer is one of the weakest class underwater due to a large quantity of it's skills being unusable underwater, vastly limiting it's fighting potential. I understand animating the mech underwater is a lot of work, but keep in mind you're making an elite spec that is revolving almost entirely around this one mech. Yet you remove it during underwater sequences. That's not going to make players like underwater content more.

Edited by Naxos.2503
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Zenith.7301 said:

Yeah, let's nerf the single good one of the revenant weapons just because greatsword is undertuned trash and you are trying to ram a role into a spec that should have never been a support spec when Herald and Renegade already exist.

Herald is rotting in absolute irrelevance as a support in PvE, outranked by renegade in every way, and here you are wanting to nerf staff so you can pursue the absolute gimmick that would be greatsword support with that Kurzick gimmick that should not exist as a heal spec to begin with.

Vindicator was supposed to be the power DPS spec, period. Saint Viktor and Archemorus should both be serving offensive needs, with Viktor probably providing offensive support like boonstrips, mobility, blocks while Archemorus applies the damage and CC aspects.

Incredible that we have players trying to fit a square into a circle socket and would rather break perfectly functional tools to do so.

I've never said that staff should be nerfed. You misunderstood me. I said that Staff's design is overloaded, and it should be remade as a more specialized weapon, instead. That means that any loss in power by taking away one of its tools should be compensated with additional power put in its remaining tools. Therefore, in theory, it would be a neutral change, power-wise, not a nerf nor a buff. I'm talking about skill design, you are talking about skill balance, which is not quite the same thing.

Purely from a design perspective, staff being so good at so many roles will always restrict Anet's ability to make future weapons stand out. Especially more so when Anet, for some absolutely unclear reason, decided to give us a third support legend in a row.

BTW, I do agree with you that Alliance should never have been focused on support, ever. If I were Anet's devs, I would redesign Alliance's skills so that the Red side would offer frontloaded/build-up damage rotation and damage buffs, while the Blue side would offer sustained self-defense and long-term offense. This would make Vindicator be clearly defined as a bulky/dps bruiser class, in contrast to the squishier, assassin-style offered by S/S Shiro. But Anet did not go in a similar direction. Why? Who knows. Maybe even them don't know why, because it feels like they are still trying to discover what exactly the hell they want to do with the new elite specs they have created.

My suggestion was logical considering Anet's vision for a dps-support hybrid class. Add more support and self-defense to greatsword, and make the staff more specialized (weaker self-defense, stronger support) and less jack-of-all-trades, master-of-most-of-them set, so that each of them can distinguish from each other at that role.

Alternatively, just revamp the Blue Alliance side entirely.

Edited by Skyroar.2974
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

Bladesworn  - what about the dragon slash execution putting weapon swap on cd, effectively locking you out of BOTH your regular weapon sets??

I think they're already doing what you want in this regard - copied this from the OP

• Dragon Trigger: Exiting Dragon Trigger after using a Dragon Slash will no longer place Sheathe Gunsaber on cooldown.

one of the main problem i have with most of the new espec is how unfun and underwhelming they feel. (not all, but most of them.)

since i main engi ill speak about it first.

was scrapper fun when it first get out? yes.

amazing hammer skills.

clunky but unique gyro skill (which got fixed and are now better than ever.)

a variety of trait for very different playstyle and made flamethrower build viable 🙂 [Click and drag to move]

holosmith. YES. when PvE stats was still used for WvW it was like playing super sayan mode. very rewarding but also risky because of the overheat. good spells, awesome ultimate. very fun to use.

the trait tho were a bit too focused on the new spec BUT you had some synergy with explosions and would change the way you would play. you could even play double static discharge which was fun before the related trait nerf.

now mechanist. is it fun? mixed feelling here. but i ll say ultimately, no..

_as an enginneer enthusiast we now have no more toolbeltskills.

_our main espec gameplay revolve around an AI. (it has targeting problem vs high mobility players)

_some signets only trigger on golem when it is on.

_one less trait line when the golem die (and as a mainly WvW player the golem dies ALOT).

_no super amazing ability as ultimate. (scrapper had cool aoe invisibility, vanilla cool rampage/moa, holosmith very cool laser beam. mechanist? visually very cool ion beam from golem that only fire in a straight line so never hit anything under or above, with poor range and poor turning speed(which should have been fixed))

_mass confusion as condi which is the most hated condi to play against or to use to dps stuff...

_underwater ... no golem. actually the barrage you can use underwater looks awesome and id like to be able to use it on land too.

like maybe make it the utlimate when golem is dead so it comes from the sky with the barrage. that would look awesome.

_the golem actually does more dps than you.

_most golem skills get out dps by golem range auto attack.

_melee golem doesn't work against players.

mass have nice spells but still feel lacksluster and does not synergise well with golem at all. (the golem can't follow your target correctly. or when it is ranged it often miss an escaping target.)

the golem look awesome but lead to a very passive gameplay.

passive gameplay don't lead to engaging fights.

some of its spells don't even work properly (aka the ultimate) and the trait line have no synergy whatsoever to anything else than golem.

but what about open world pve? well yeah, you have a super pet that aggro everything for you so you can play in super easy mode...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledernierrempart.6871 said:

one of the main problem i have with most of the new espec is how unfun and underwhelming they feel. (not all, but most of them.)

since i main engi ill speak about it first.

was scrapper fun when it first get out? yes.

amazing hammer skills.

clunky but unique gyro skill (which got fixed and are now better than ever.)

a variety of trait for very different playstyle and made flamethrower build viable 🙂 [Click and drag to move]

holosmith. YES. when PvE stats was still used for WvW it was like playing super sayan mode. very rewarding but also risky because of the overheat. good spells, awesome ultimate. very fun to use.

the trait tho were a bit too focused on the new spec BUT you had some synergy with explosions and would change the way you would play. you could even play double static discharge which was fun before the related trait nerf.

now mechanist. is it fun? mixed feelling here. but i ll say ultimately, no..

_as an enginneer enthusiast we now have no more toolbeltskills.

_our main espec gameplay revolve around an AI. (it has targeting problem vs high mobility players)

_some signets only trigger on golem when it is on.

_one less trait line when the golem die (and as a mainly WvW player the golem dies ALOT).

_no super amazing ability as ultimate. (scrapper had cool aoe invisibility, vanilla cool rampage/moa, holosmith very cool laser beam. mechanist? visually very cool ion beam from golem that only fire in a straight line so never hit anything under or above, with poor range and poor turning speed(which should have been fixed))

_mass confusion as condi which is the most hated condi to play against or to use to dps stuff...

_underwater ... no golem. actually the barrage you can use underwater looks awesome and id like to be able to use it on land too.

like maybe make it the utlimate when golem is dead so it comes from the sky with the barrage. that would look awesome.

_the golem actually does more dps than you.

_most golem skills get out dps by golem range auto attack.

_melee golem doesn't work against players.

mass have nice spells but still feel lacksluster and does not synergise well with golem at all. (the golem can't follow your target correctly. or when it is ranged it often miss an escaping target.)

the golem look awesome but lead to a very passive gameplay.

passive gameplay don't lead to engaging fights.

some of its spells don't even work properly (aka the ultimate) and the trait line have no synergy whatsoever to anything else than golem.

but what about open world pve? well yeah, you have a super pet that aggro everything for you so you can play in super easy mode...

I think this is a problem that happens with Ele pretty often. It’s not clear to me why Ele is the ‘min/max’ class. Look at the traits and elite spec of the Catalyst. 2% damage reduction per aura is supposed to excite people? Boon duration increases on a grandmaster trait, that is somehow still the best option in that tier? An elite that refreshes the cool down of 4 skills (not including auto attack) when we’d already have 3 other attunements to swap to?

why not give us different playstyles and options that allow us to do something besides take out a spreadsheet and figure out how to maintain a few percentage points of stat increases?

Edited by The Great Al.2546
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Milosz.5938 said:

Catalyst still is a joke - not funny one. Fire + Air have to be standardized to 1200, otherwise Catalyst will die everytime he will face any other spec in wvw

It'll still be joke even if you slap 1.2k range on it, it have like 2 heals and 1 block, 0 additional evades from hammer skills, that class is still sitting duck to anything with 900+ range.
Utility skill may be a bit more "usable", but weapon itself is still pepe-level of downed propeller.
Why Ele skill aren't like Rangers Greatsword? Imagine having in each and every attument atleast 1 heavy hitting skill, mobility skill with evade, defense skill and cc skill on fairly low cooldowns, now that would be interesting gameplay.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Milosz.5938 said:

Catalyst still is a joke - not funny one. Fire + Air have to be standardized to 1200, otherwise Catalyst will die everytime he will face any other spec in wvw

Extremely well said, only I would add, all primary hammer skills should be at 1200 not just fire and Air. If we need to move into melee range we have that option. As it is currently, we don't have the damage mitigation Tempest and Weaver have available to mitigate damage for a low health, low armor class.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

It'll still be joke even if you slap 1.2k range on it, it have like 2 heals and 1 block, 0 additional evades from hammer skills, that class is still sitting duck to anything with 900+ range.
Utility skill may be a bit more "usable", but weapon itself is still pepe-level of downed propeller.
Why Ele skill aren't like Rangers Greatsword? Imagine having in each and every attument atleast 1 heavy hitting skill, mobility skill with evade, defense skill and cc skill on fairly low cooldowns, now that would be interesting gameplay.

It's at least less of a joke at 1200 range, and melee range remains an option if it's absolutely necessary to take that risk.

1 minute ago, MudkipLover.3792 said:

REALLY looking forward to trying the Catalyst out again! That was literally the only elite spec that I really had any problem with due to how lack luster it felt. Still keeping my fingers cross that you guys are channeling Tetsuya Nomura and being massive trolls about there not being a new playable race xD

Its still the worst of all, dont worry.

• Like 4