Tools Trait Line

dontlook.1823

I like this trait line, but I feel as though it needs significant improvements. Other traits lines with the engineer class have powerful grandmasters. The tools grandmasters have lackluster traits. Gadgeteer does not need to be a grandmaster; adrenal implant could use a second skill fact; kinetic battery is very underpowered and makes core engineer with this trait line just silly. A little bit of superspeed and quickness? I'd rather play scrapper at that rate. Tools used to be the ferocity line way back in the day. The engineer always had unique traits. I don't even know where to begin with changes. Any suggestions?

• Like 2

I think gadgets should be baseline their gadgeteer version. They should make an elite gadget, for which there are many discussion posts. Then maybe cooldown reduction on them is justified. Kinetic battery is trash and should maybe do something like on every 5th activation, zap all targets surrounding you with a guaranteed crit.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Matoro.9708 said:

I think gadgets should be baseline their gadgeteer version. They should make an elite gadget, for which there are many discussion posts. Then maybe cooldown reduction on them is justified. Kinetic battery is trash and should maybe do something like on every 5th activation, zap all targets surrounding you with a guaranteed crit.

I like that idea a lot. I completely agree with you. The kinetic battery is underpowered for a grandmaster trait. In PVP/www, it's ridiculous to even consider it because even a decent amount of concentration gives minimal payoff. You cannot get good enough uptime. In addition, you have to hit five times, and the payoff is underwhelming. Engineers have so much access to super speed and even quickness. What is the point of that trait? The extra damage is a good idea. The value should be relatively high to make it fit into builds. Currently, I run tools, alchemy, and holo. Holo is the hybrid support/offensive. Alchemy is the defensive and Tools is what I like to use offensively. It's just silly, though, because I mainly take it for gadgeteer (rocket boots are super good for roaming in wvw). The damage modifiers and traits aren't enough to make tools a functional offensive line. 

• Like 1