Prismatic Champion's Regalia and Future Legendary Acquisition

This is really one for someone at ANet, but I'm fully aware they rarely respond, so I welcome the community's opinions too!

I've really appreciated the fact that with Living World Return, ANet have given us a new way to acquire a piece of Legendary equipment, and most notably, one that doesn't have timegating (beyond initial release) or egregious material requirements.

So with that out of the way, I'm curious to know if the intention moving forward is to provide similar ways of obtaining other pieces of Legendary equipment.

I for one would much appreciate it, and think it shows an increased respect for the time of the player.

Of course, if you disagree, please, expand on why!

I have laid out my case many times before, and believe that increased build flexibility for all players can only benefit the game in the long term, allowing for increased build diversity and exploration of otherwise ignored stat combinations. Legendaries that are more interesting  and easy to acquire are obviously one route to achieving this.

And in closing, I'd like to ask if there's any intention to retroactively look at other Legendaries in the game and give them similar paths to acquisition that also don't require timegates and/or huge materials investment.

Ideas for acquisition paths welcome!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is really one for someone at ANet, but I'm fully aware they rarely respond, so I welcome the community's opinions too!   I've really appreciated the fact that with Living World Return,

A lot of people crinkle their noses at what they perceive to be an 'easier' way to get legendary gear, but I welcome the thought of more players having stat-swapping available to them across all of th

Sorry, but this is suggesting that "1 spammers on the world boss train that wear whatever drops for them" will have a realistic use for theory crafting with legendary gear. They wouldn't. If someone c

A lot of people crinkle their noses at what they perceive to be an 'easier' way to get legendary gear, but I welcome the thought of more players having stat-swapping available to them across all of their characters. There's a hefty segment of players who wish the rest would 'git gud' and I absolutely think the benefits of legendary gear can help with that. There should always be a journey and an investment of time/effort involved with legendary things (you do want people to engage with the game after all), and from what I've seen of the Return To achievements, I'd say both of those measures have been met.

So, more paths to reach legendary gear? Good, fine, go for it. I can see this being genuinely helpful.

As for going back and adjusting older legendaries, I have a 50/50 feel on it. On one hand, you'd have people expecting compensation if the old legendaries became 'easier' to get, but on the other hand, those legendaries become more attainable for more people. I lean a bit more toward no on this if only for the fact that it'd be better to bite the bullet, leave old legendaries alone, and simply introduce new ones using new methods. People will get to carry the cosmetics of the old leggies for whatever prestige it grants them, and other avenues will be available for those who don't care about prestige.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

Good points @AgentMoore.9453, and to be fair to ANet, they have already gone back and provided alternate ways of acquiring precursors other than dumb luck.

Myself, I'd still like to see the second half of the Legendary journey expanded to be more in line with the first instead of just being a massive material and gold sink.

While not being one of the original Legendaries, getting Aurora is quite similar, and it felt a bit of a cop-out to get to the end of the interesting part (apart from the Draconis Mons timegate), only to be faced with a characterless material investment in order to complete the journey.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I've really appreciated the fact that with Living World Return, ANet have given us a new way to acquire a piece of Legendary equipment, and most notably, one that doesn't have timegating (beyond initial release) or egregious material requirements.

We have to wait until next week to see if there are really no egregious material requirements.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The only things negative about this way of aquiring legendary gear are 1) the loss of a true long term goal and 2) it is making every non-legendary piece of equipment for the slot irrelevant.
1) With easy/cheap/less time consuming methods of aquiring legendaries a main object of long term progression s lost. This can lead to people burning  out faster and leaving the game or running out of things to do.
2) When I can get an account wide legendary amulett in maybe 40 hours of rather relaxed gameplay, why should I ever bother with ascended again. This makes all aquisition methods for ascended amuletts irrelevant.

I'm not trying to gate-keep legendaries or anything. I've got my account filled with plenty of them so I don't care how easy it is for you to get there. But there are reasons for making these tedious long term things. It brings relevance to all the content included in the process, like meta events or achievements. And since it is so tedious, it also brings relevance to the content that gives you alternatives. Ascended trinkets were rather easy to get with the LS3 maps so many people went to these maps to get ascendeds rather than the legendary.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

What percentage of players actually create and test out their own builds instead of going online and grabbing one from someone else?  Probably very small. I don’t feel that the “increased build diversity” argument is a very valid one. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 5
5 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

What percentage of players actually create and test out their own builds instead of going online and grabbing one from someone else?  Probably very small. I don’t feel that the “increased build diversity” argument is a very valid one. 

Uh, while there's a cost associated with swapping stats on gear, sure, not very many. But that's kind of the whole point.

Not very many people experiment with builds because it's not cheap or easy to do so at the moment.

Give people the tools to experiment more easily, you'll see more experimentation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

The only thing i want is a way to get legendary armour in PvE that's not linked to any group content and i can do in my own time. This has been blown out the water many times.😡

*sigh*

I guess i will need to do those 3 seasons of pvp again. 🤢

1 more set to go.

Edited by Dami.5046
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Anet should offer to trade the new legendary amulet for a legendary ring or accessory with the same visual effect so people may choose what trinket they still need. 

Because there is absolutely no point in having crafted Transcendance now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

Being mostly a PvE/Story solo player, I'm all for this way of acquiring legendries. 'Return To' has been a delight for me as this is the content I know and love and am happy to endlessly play and replay.

This might be answered with "why would you want legendries then?", and simply: I'm a long term player, that should be enough. Despite a lot of other's uncertainty about the future of GW, I'll be playing it well into that time.
In the meantime, I feel like I've missed a huge part of the game by not developing my own knowledge of how to create a build, or to know what's 'gud', and simply rely on other's know-how. As OP has stated, most of the reason I don't experiment with creating my own builds is almost purely the repetitive cost.
"Why would you want legendries then?" would probably asked again, and we can talk about WvW/PvP, which I also play but don't enjoy enough to play long enough in those modes. "Raids are PvE, play that!" I also don't scoff at Raids, but I am neither sociable enough, nor focused enough to see content I don't enjoy through to the end. 

All that being said, I also definitely wouldn't want to diminish the prestige of current legendary items.
Perhaps giving new ones acquired in this fashion far more generic aesthetics would be apt, that way people would also be drawn to completing the other smaller achievements/events with armour rewards (and for ANet's business model: paying out gold/gems for the 'look' they want elsewhere).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Absolutely for the idea of multiple legendaries for each slot

absolutely against the idea of getting rid of the highly expensive gifts. Legendaries absolutely should be gated. Intensely. If they are not already, make all stat combinations available in exotic for all equipment types. Do experimentation at that level

this particular quest for one amulet, I am okay, even happy, with (and I even had slumbering transcendence before this was announced), as long as it is a one off and not the start of a trend. 

Gate legendaries, hardcore. Behind both gold as they are currently, but increasingly behind content achievements, as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
11 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Uh, while there's a cost associated with swapping stats on gear, sure, not very many. But that's kind of the whole point.

Not very many people experiment with builds because it's not cheap or easy to do so at the moment.

Give people the tools to experiment more easily, you'll see more experimentation.

Again, I go back to my original question. What percentage of players would actually create and test out their own builds instead of going online and grabbing one from someone else?  I added an extra word (in italics) to the question I had previously asked. 

You list increased build diversity even though it wouldn’t actually do that. Build diversity would only increase from design changes made by the developers and not from a cheaper way to change stats.

You also should take into account that obtaining Legendaries has a considerable cost. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
17 hours ago, Mike.7983 said:

No material requirements, 24/24 your given it.

Effects of new leggy amulet! : Guildwars2 (reddit.com) taste the rainbow!!

I don't see the source of that claim? And yes, I also think there won't be any additional surprise costs, but right now it doesn't seem to be anything confirmed. It's not hard to have the last step, where you need to "visit taimi and gorrik" require you to give them a bunch of materials for research/restoration/whatever.

Again, to make it clear: personally I don't think it will be like that, but it's just my wishful thinking and nothing in your link confirms the information about no additional cost.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
11 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Experimenting with exotics is pretty cheap. And once you get into higher-end content, you keep getting some ascended gear drops as well. Legendaries should remain being the long-term goal.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I don't see the source of that claim? And yes, I also think there won't be any additional surprise costs, but right now it doesn't seem to be anything confirmed. It's not hard to have the last step, where you need to "visit taimi and gorrik" require you to give them a bunch of materials for research/restoration/whatever.

Again, to make it clear: personally I don't think it will be like that, but it's just my wishful thinking and nothing in your link confirms the information about no additional cost.

Look at the achievment, upon hitting 24/24 credit it lists amulet as the reward, so click the chest above minimap and done

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
3 minutes ago, Mike.7983 said:

Look at the achievment, upon hitting 24/24 credit it lists amulet as the reward, so click the chest above minimap and done

I understand that. But we don't know if the last step is literally just "talk to npc, click through the dialogue and you're done" OR if it's "talk to npc, get the list of materials, come back with them, then you're done". That's what I mean.

Again, I DO think there won't be added cost. But it's based on not much more than just wishful thinking and I was hoping for some confirmation in a form of official anet source.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
6 minutes ago, Mike.7983 said:

As for the speaking to taimi and stuff after dragonstorm, assume its more talk/lore, and aurene ends up giving you the actual amulet for being her champion.

Why multiple short posts in the row instead of one responding to what I said? 😛

Yes, as I said, I think so too, but there's no source for that information. It's nothing confirmed at this point, so I won't pretend it's a fact.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1