Immersion

For a while now, ArenaNet has been adding items to the gemshop that are out of place in Tyria. This week a tea-set.

The more these items are added, the less I want to play GW2. My immersion is broken, I can no longer get lost in Tyria without being confronted with this game being very much a videogame, and that takes away my motivation to play this game.

This isn't a threat, this isn't a request for change. ArenaNet should make the game they want to make, but my desire to be a part of it is waning.

Thank you for all the good times, and much fun to those who do enjoy this kind of game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 2

This is the most trivial reason to "rage quit" the game that I've seen in a while...

Have you seen the Ancient Egyptian themed outfit yet? Or, really, anything from SAB? A tea kettle is the least immersion breaking item out of the ones that might be viewed as such. At least, I think, Tyrians drink tea.

• Like 13
  • Confused 5

Add me to the list of “mind boggled”. 

Tyrians don’t drink tea? Have you seen the teapot shaped irrigators in Kryta? The furniture is in keeping with many of the chairs of the world.

There really is nothing someone won’t complain about.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 10
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I get the feeling when OP says "immersion breaking" what they actually mean is "anything that isn't edgy breaks my immersion"

While not my style personally i would argue this teacup table is one of the most "lore friendly" and immersive roleplay items they have added to the game yet as far as miscellaneous toys go

Edited by Kayberz.5346
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

I'll tell you what, I actually feel the opposite on this one. I haven't been tempted by the gem store for a long time because the things being offered were too unattractive or lacked lore explanations for their existence. I'm not a hardliner on immersion (though it'd be nice to have more visual options in our settings panel), but it's at least a little important to me because I really quite like the world of Tyria and do flinch a bit when something is made to exist in it 'just because' when there are 40 million lore appropriate alternatives that weren't considered.

Now, the tea table? I am genuinely happy about this one. Good poses, good basic teapot/chair/table design to appeal broadly. Fits with the world, fits most player models. If anything, it adds immersion rather than taking away from it. The only quips I really have with it are the same as with many other chairs; graphical glitches (Asura drink the tea through their noses and some Charr body types hover above their seats, for example).

I can absolutely respect someone not enjoying the aesthetic (believe me, I feel that way about plenty of things in this game), but I feel like this item in particular is a big win for Casual Tyria Enjoyers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Telgum.6071 said:

There are tons of immersion-breaking items out there and I don't see why the tea-set is one of them, unless you run into four Charr drinking it at the top of the Mount Maelstrom.

Those Charr have a right to drink it up there. It's the perfect location for some nice hot tea. Everyone needs a break every once in awhile.

As for the real topic, I think the tea set is the least of the issues when it comes to immersion. There are much bigger offenders like that gaudy lego armor being to kitten shiny compared to something like a simple tea set with chairs which fits the world much better.

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Like 8

Yeah...I can't help but echo what others say: a tea set sold on the gem store is the straw that broke the camel's back, but something like Eternity or the SAB raptor skin or hats with panda ears or infusions that glow like a small sun...those were fine?

If anything, a tea set is perfectly fitting for Tyria, and is by far the least "out of place" or "immersion-breaking" gem store item they've offered in a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

More than nine years of WTF and a tea set is what throws you off?

^^my thoughts exactly! 

@AulisVaara seriously there are so many different other reasons that I can think of, of why you'd want to quit.  May I wonder if you were already dissatisfied, not enjoying Gw2 and simply made the time for tea kitten your scapegoat. 

I think on the whole players, myself included, that enjoy open world PvE, raids, fractals, strikes, WvW, sPvP or whatever it is, largely couldn't care less about a new tea chair and certainly not any reason to quit. I guess maybe you don't enjoy any of these game modes or Gw2 at all?

Personally I've played Gw2 for 8 yrs and it's the most sociable, friendly, casual drop-in-drop-out without missing much progress MMO.  But I also hate chairs, never have and never will waste my money on purchasing one. I play actively, i.e. mainly WvW, raids, fractals a little PvE until it bores me and find chairs a pointless waste of money, but some peeps love them else they wouldn't keep designing new ones and selling.  The fact I personally hate chairs in no way shape or form ruins my immersion or overall gaming experience, and neither should it for OP. 

Edited by Gregg.3970
  • Like 1

Wait, there's no tea in Tyria? How is a tea party chair immersion breaking? 

I mean, i guess when you pull it out and have a tea party in the middle of the Shatterer fight (someone do it, it would be hilarious!) but other than that, don't Tyrians drink tea?

EDIT: 

There's hamburgers in Tyria, why is a tea party such a problem lol?

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

It doesnt even have to come from the gem store to be immersion breaking, if you dont disable your character's ambiant dialogue in the option and make a chrono mesmer with "signet of inspiration", well you'll end up with a toon going about saying:"I can outrun a centaure" about every minute.
So you're going about THK doing the story (the end, the drama part) and all  your toon keeps saying is : I can outrun a centaure!!!  every 60 sec.....

Immersion breaker for free!!!
🤪

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Katastroff.1045 said:

It doesnt even have to come from the gem store to be immersion breaking, if you dont disable your character's ambiant dialogue in the option and make a chrono mesmer with "signet of inspiration", well you'll end up with a toon going about saying:"I can outrun a centaure" about every minute.
So you're going about THK doing the story (the end, the drama part) and all  your toon keeps saying is : I can outrun a centaure!!!  every 60 sec.....

Immersion breaker for free!!!
🤪

Are you saying your character can't outrun a centaur? I think they should hit the gym more to be able too. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think I should clarify for some here that the teapot is definitely not the thing that made me leave. It's just the latest thing that made me realize I feel disconnected from the game. Other items have built up that disconnect in the past, the teapot just made me realize how large that divide has become.

Loved many of the replies, so thank you for making me smile.

• Confused 2

Pretty certain the banana scythe wasn’t an immersive weapon in GW1 either

For a long while I was no fan of the lack of identity GW2 carved out for itself by basically putting any old item into the gem store that looks ridiculous for the game and it’s setting. But, it has been that way since the beginning. I mean we have had a disco ball for a mace since launch (which is actually brilliant by the way, I’m just saying). It won’t change now and asking for it isn’t going to make it happen any less either.

It brings people to the game, it makes them spend money for continuation of a game I played for 9 straight years and it makes people smile. Frankly I no longer care if it’s immersion breaking in that context. It’s a video game and it makes people happy.

Tea anyone?

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

I think I should clarify for some here that the teapot is definitely not the thing that made me leave. It's just the latest thing that made me realize I feel disconnected from the game. Other items have built up that disconnect in the past, the teapot just made me realize how large that divide has become.

Loved many of the replies, so thank you for making me smile.

This forum breaks my immersion. Honestly, this hasn't been the immersive game I'd hoped it would be at launch from launch. It's a good game, but it's not a particularly immersive one.  Just killing a deer that drops a mace is enough to be not immersive to me. In fact, MMOs in general aren't immersive games. I had thought this game would be more immersive than others, but every MMO I've ever played has stuff that pulls me out of it. Not the least of which is map chat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2