Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a while now, ArenaNet has been adding items to the gemshop that are out of place in Tyria. This week a tea-set.   The more these items are added, the less I want to play GW2. My immersio

This is the most trivial reason to "rage quit" the game that I've seen in a while... Have you seen the Ancient Egyptian themed outfit yet? Or, really, anything from SAB? A tea kettle is the least

Add me to the list of “mind boggled”.  Tyrians don’t drink tea? Have you seen the teapot shaped irrigators in Kryta? The furniture is in keeping with many of the chairs of the world. There r

37 minutes ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

Why, back in my day all we needed for hours and hours of immersion in a video game were two rectangles and a dot.

A rectangle on each side, dot back and forth across the middle, and you're playing tennis.

Both rectangles on one side, and the dot bouncing off one side of the screen? That's racquetball.

😄

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, witcher.3197 said:

Police car siege turtle skin will be here in a year calling it now.

Following that sentiment, it's interesting how the latest skimmer skin didn't spawn threads like this one. But I guess the hover bike is more in line with the sensibilities (i.e. age) of the general player community than a teapot...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MikeG.6389 said:

Following that sentiment, it's interesting how the latest skimmer skin didn't spawn threads like this one. But I guess the hover bike is more in line with the sensibilities (i.e. age) of the general player community than a teapot...

That’s my general take. It appears that for some hover bikes are cool but playing tea party is silly. Not really so much about immersion, but preconceptions about what kind of stories are appropriate for this game.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sorudo.9054 said:

so....no, it doesn't

a Gatling gun is huge, you need two hands to hold it.

you can enlighten me with the rocket launcher and no, the turret doesn't count.

A Gatling gun does not have to be huge. It is the design functionality that makes it a Gatling gun, not its size. So a rotating multi-barrel automatic firearm is a Gatling gun. That said, the original Gatling guns were too large for even two hands to wield, requiring a weapon mount to use. There are Gatling guns today that are far too large for any one person, or even several people to wield by hand.

 

A rocket turret, which launches rockets, is by definition a rocket launcher...still I was referring to Aim-Assisted Rocket.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

A Gatling gun does not have to be huge. It is the design functionality that makes it a Gatling gun, not its size. So a rotating multi-barrel automatic firearm is a Gatling gun. That said, the original Gatling guns were too large for even two hands to wield, requiring a weapon mount to use. There are Gatling guns today that are far too large for any one person, or even several people to wield by hand.

In GW2, thats called an arrowcart.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MikeG.6389 said:

Following that sentiment, it's interesting how the latest skimmer skin didn't spawn threads like this one. But I guess the hover bike is more in line with the sensibilities (i.e. age) of the general player community than a teapot...

If it was up to me then yes, hoverbike skimmer wouldn't have made it live either. However it's at least not that big of a stretch when we look at something like Inquest tech or Rata Sum. Asura in general were redesigned to be way more advanced than they should be, if you look at early GW2 trailers or the Rata Sum loading screen even, that's way more reasonable. They went from magitech to sci-fi tech. So the real problem is the asura, not the skin.

In a way the tea set can look more out of place than the skimmer skin, when it's on a battlefield or used by anything other than humans. With norn and charr it just looks like an out of season april fool's joke.

Edited by witcher.3197
  • Confused 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2021 at 1:12 PM, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

For a while now, ArenaNet has been adding items to the gemshop that are out of place in Tyria. This week a tea-set.

First sentence: I agree 100%
Second sentence: Huh?! :classic_blink:

How are tea sets "out of place" in Tyria? There are (unfortunately) many items that are breaking immersion - a tea set with classic tableware definitely isn't one of them. I am certain the nobles in Divinity's Reach sit down at tea time a lot to share the latest gossip. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That’s my general take. It appears that for some hover bikes are cool but playing tea party is silly. Not really so much about immersion, but preconceptions about what kind of stories are appropriate for this game.

Isn't there a fencing blade in the game? If there's fencing, there's tea parties.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

There are a few rapier skins, but no profession is actually using them for fencing.

I mean, a basketball wouldn't exist without the game. I wasn't implying any profession fences, but I can totally see it being part of human culture. The only benefit to that type of sword to exist would be to use it as it's meant to be (in lore, not actual gameplay). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...