Suggestion Spend More Time on Fixing Your Game and Less Time Making Cosmetic Items

Idk I could be wrong but I think if  as much time and resources are being put for cosmetic items and trading post items, were to be reverted to actually fixing the game, especially wvw, then the game wouldn't be in the state its in and you wouldn't have lost more than half your players. Just sayin.... you want to make a stream on siege turtle mounts yet alliances are still "being worked on". Yeah okay, and no definite time frame. You trolled the wvw community, good job didn't think you had it in you anet. Go ahead and remove this since you don't want the general population to see it.

And let the anet yes sayers start their passive aggressive trolling in the comments. 

AND GOOOOO.......................................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 17

Wow, the people who design/implement the cosmetic items and the people who work on integral structures of the game are the same team!? Dang, those are some talented devs!

...in all seriousness - chill. Yes, Alliances are still being worked on. It's a restructuring of how an entire part of the game works. It takes time. And yes, I know, it's been years in the making. I don't pretend to know just how ridiculously complicated the spaghetti code for this game engine is, but going by past dev comments...it's complicated. I'd personally rather they release a functional working system than something horrendously broken that renders the entire WvW mode unplayable for who knows how long while they scramble to fix it.

Just have patience.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
1 minute ago, Batel.9206 said:

Wow, the people who design/implement the cosmetic items and the people who work on integral structures of the game are the same team!? Dang, those are some talented devs!

...in all seriousness - chill. Yes, Alliances are still being worked on. It's a restructuring of how an entire part of the game works. It takes time. And yes, I know, it's been years in the making. I don't pretend to know just how ridiculously complicated the spaghetti code for this game engine is, but going by past dev comments...it's complicated. I'd personally rather they release a functional working system than something horrendously broken that renders the entire WvW mode unplayable for who knows how long while they scramble to fix it.

Just have patience.

youre making excuses for them. they couldve had this game fixed long ago, couldve had alliances. but they pooling resources in teh wrong areas. the resources to make a stream to show off a mount couldve been put forth in hiring more devs that know how to balance and how to fix the spaghetti code. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 13

I wonder if there is anyone who can fix such an old and probably ell-long code just like that without breaking things in other corners again.

Not that I mean to say that things don't need to be worked on. Or at least be acted better from the support side. I had e.g. recently a case where I did not get an Achievment, although I have done everything right and the support only said, this bug is known but they can do nothing and I should just try again and again ... only that was the diving goggles of Not so secret and that I will certainly not try so long until I have times luck ...
Had the same case once with one temple of Orr which was bugged forever and where not only I just got the Achievment for the Precurser collections from the support.

Wonder why sometimes things work and sometimes not. People are different, but services should not be uu.

• Confused 2

Clearly the  <checks notes> Community Managers and <hmm> Writers should be coding Alliances. That's the perfect plan. And if they can't? We'll post a job, train a person, let them get familiar with existing code, and that'll surely get it done this week!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

They’ve been working on alliances for how long now? and after all that time and work the WvW beta had to be cancelled early because it was not working. 

possibly it’s harder to upgrade WvW than people think and firing devs who provide the game and the devs with a monthly income isn’t going to make fixes arrive faster. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They'd actually fix the game faster if they replaced their cosmetic designers with more talented people who could actually make good looking quality armor skins and knew how to design it to correctly fit on all genders and races.

People would then spend more money on cosmetics, allowing them the funds to fix the rest of the game for you.

So they should continue to spend more time on cosmetics, but with better designers behind it. Because too much of it is wasted on poor quality stuff no one buys, as well as focusing on the wrong types of things too often.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Confused 3
12 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

So they should continue to spend more time on cosmetics, but with better designers behind it. Because too much of it is wasted on poor quality stuff no one buys, as well as focusing on the wrong types of things too often.

Yeah, clearly no one buys it, because when cosmetics are released, I don’t see a bunch of people in LA or at meta events showing it off the very same day.

Oh, wait…

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OP's a little rough, but I kinda get the sentiment. There are some pretty significant things that have been broken for a long time (some of them since launch!), so I can see why someone would be annoyed to see a million cosmetics churned through the store and features added (or monetized) that weren't requested very much by the playerbase in comparison. It isn't that the same people are working on these things, but the impression is that the cosmetics team can somehow get it together whereas the QoL and playtesting team can't.

Personally, I think they're equally important to the success of the game. Cosmetics are the payday that allow this to be a buy-to-play game, but ensuring that the game itself is working as intended also seems like a pretty big deal when it comes to keeping the players that you do have. It's ironic that the turtle is being used as an example here, because the issues in the OP may actually collide due a technical error that's currently being exploited for trolling purposes with the new 2-seater chair (which may function the same as the upcoming 2-seater mount).

• Like 3

so 3d artists have the exact same job as software designers?

Programmers and animation artists are the same?

Concept artists and software engineers have the same duties?

Next, are you going to suggest that the accounting department needs to start fixing the software functions as well?

What about marketing?  Marketing and computer science are basically the same thing right?

I think I made my point.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

without cosmetics items they will no have resources,, so u create a catch-22 dilemma.

i dont understand recent hate towards cosmetic's BL stuff on these forums, its obsviously that stuff is what maintain gw2 alive, just look at insane number of responses on "BL returning items" posts. People just want more and more and more cosmetics... and its good, its signal theres a long future for this game, as long there ppl hungry for cosmetics.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 4

The thing about coding and implementation teams, is the bigger they get, the less efficient they become. So often times you can't even hire your way out of a slow development cycle. If you cut some artists and hired developers, it might not make things go any faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Nocturnal Lunacy.8563 said:

And let the anet yes sayers start their passive aggressive trolling in the comments. 

Talk about the blind leading the blind...

But seriously, ANet is a business, first and foremost. If they don't sell you cosmetics, they won't have the money to work on the game. Then what?

Edited by MikeG.6389
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the invisible 2x2x4 meter square wall section on DBL thats been broken for 5ish years fixed yet?

If there is anything Anet has taught us, its that making 2 expansions, 5+ living stories, entire new sPvP maps, countless gemstore items and soon probably alliances... is far easier combined than fixing the mesh of a small section of wall that already exist in 2 out of 3 tiers.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
8 hours ago, Nocturnal Lunacy.8563 said:

youre making excuses for them. they couldve had this game fixed long ago, couldve had alliances. but they pooling resources in teh wrong areas. the resources to make a stream to show off a mount couldve been put forth in hiring more devs that know how to balance and how to fix the spaghetti code. 

I'm going to tell you right now, the amount it costs them for rando asset artists to make a few gem store items and then yeet off to another job in Seattle after a few months is NOTHING compared to what it costs to hire competent programmers and train them for weeks/months on how to wrangle the 4 dimensional code that makes up this mess of a game

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Nocturnal Lunacy.8563 said:

AND GOOOOO.......................................

Nothing like proving you're intellectually dishonest and a bad faith actor in your first post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
9 hours ago, PseudoNewb.5468 said:

The thing about coding and implementation teams, is the bigger they get, the less efficient they become. So often times you can't even hire your way out of a slow development cycle. If you cut some artists and hired developers, it might not make things go any faster.

The saying I've heard is "9 women can't make a baby in 1 month". Some things can be done collaboratively and may go faster with a team, others need to follow a set procedure or need someone who understands the system intimately and there's no way to rush those, it just ends up adding layers of complication - like taking time out of doing the work to have team meetings to find out how far everyone has gotten with their bits and make sure they'll still join up when it's done.

My week at work so far has been dealing with the mess created by a similar situation - too many people on the project, all working away at their little bits and making assumptions about what everyone else is doing and discovering the hard way that bits got forgotten or misunderstood or lost along the way because everyone thought someone else was doing it.

• Like 3