Siege turtle is going to be coop exclusive.

5 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

[Awesome ideas snipped for length]

The problem with doing cool stuff like this though is that Anet doesn't like making content based around stuff that many players may not have access too, like mounts released in living world or an older expansion..
Imo this is a huge self imposed ball and chain and was a genuine concern a lot of us previously had about EoD before they confirmed that some PoF mounts would be given away in EoD so they wouldn't have to restrict their map design to count for people who didn't bother playing PoF thus wouldn't have them.
Imo though they should not be afraid to do this once in a while.
Other players will have those mounts so it's hardly like situations where you have a map full of people who cannot do the boss will ever really exist anyway, and there's probably a way to scale the breakbar phase to only count players who have the mount as well.
Plus it's incentive to get those players to go back and actually purchase and play older content to obtain those useful mounts/mechanics.. and that's a very good thing imo.

You've got some really great ideas that sound like they would be a blast.

Agreed that it's past time for ANet to reconsider their "this is only really useful in the place you get it" stance. There's so much potential in both mounts and old masteries. As long as nothing is critical to progress, there's no reason they couldn't generate content that has some unnecessary but nice rewards that incentivize players to go back and get things they missed.

It'd be possible, if they are clever, to even create multiple avenues to deal with the challenge. The toxic bacon HP was designed before Jackal, but now Jackal's pounce has become the number one way people do that HP. New events could have challenges that can be equally met by a PoF mount ability or a HoT mastery so that players who have purchased or completed different things have a greater chance of participating. They could even have "rental" mounts nearby so players can use the mount only for the run of the event, with players who already have them using their own.

53 minutes ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Is kinda more a novelty much like Warclaw is in PvE (since Anet won't just make that a core game mount already)
But im still glad to have both of them.

I'm very much looking forward to forcing the turtle into active roles against certain event bosses etc, I'd love to see more stuff like that being done in Gw2, and PoF missed a big chance to do that as well.

Imagine if they had put a giant sand elemental world boss in PoF that would have phases where it put up a huge sandstorm barrier around itself and the only way to get through it and break his Breakbar would be to use the Sand Jackels teleport.
That would have been pretty awesome.

It could even have had another phase where it erected sand walls around itself and you would have had to jump over them with springer to break his bar as well.

We could have had another roaming boss like the Ley Line Anomaly which would eventually flee really really quickly (like bloodstone moa) and players would have to chase it down on their Beetles and ram it with their skill 1 to trip it up and stun it.

The problem with doing cool stuff like this though is that Anet doesn't like making content based around stuff that many players may not have access too, like mounts released in living world or an older expansion..
Imo this is a huge self imposed ball and chain and was a genuine concern a lot of us previously had about EoD before they confirmed that some PoF mounts would be given away in EoD so they wouldn't have to restrict their map design to count for people who didn't bother playing PoF thus wouldn't have them.
Imo though they should not be afraid to do this once in a while.
Other players will have those mounts so it's hardly like situations where you have a map full of people who cannot do the boss will ever really exist anyway, and there's probably a way to scale the breakbar phase to only count players who have the mount as well.
Plus it's incentive to get those players to go back and actually purchase and play older content to obtain those useful mounts/mechanics.. and that's a very good thing imo.

You know I wouldn't be that bothered by it being a novelty..... If it was usable in wvw like the warclaw. However all we can do is use it in pve so the fact it's a novelty in the only place you can use it kinda killed my hype for the mount. The only reason everyone is going to end up getting the mount mastery in the long run is just for the bonus health to other mounts.

• Like 1

Very sad you can't use everything because not everyone has friends in this game or any active friends at all. My friend list has been dead for about 6 years and since I have had no luck with finding new ones so far I guess I have to skip this mount... 
As someone who's 99% of the time solo it's quite a slap in the face. I really hate being forced into groups or to coop with half the players either being toxic as kitten while the other half is not knowing what they are doing at all due to being too inexperienced. Especially if everyone just silently judges me and yells at me anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Very sad you can't use everything because not everyone has friends in this game or any active friends at all. My friend list has been dead for about 6 years and since I have had no luck with finding new ones so far I guess I have to skip this mount... 
As someone who's 99% of the time solo it's quite a slap in the face. I really hate being forced into groups or to coop with half the players either being toxic as kitten while the other half is not knowing what they are doing at all due to being too inexperienced. Especially if everyone just silently judges me and yells at me anyways. 

You have a very different experience of the players in this game than I do.

I've run across the occasional problem player in game, but by and large, outside of sPVP, I've found players to be friendly, talkative, cooperative and helpful.

Maybe instead of betaing the turtle, I should beta the players tonight when I play. My goal would be to see how many strangers respond to invitations to join as my gunner, and whether any become problematic.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Maybe instead of betaing the turtle, I should beta the players tonight when I play. My goal would be to see how many strangers respond to invitations to join as my gunner, and whether any become problematic.

Why does this sound like the epitaph on a gravestone?

"Here lies Gibson, the poor sod.  And his last words were..." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3