Bought the game, now what?

Sorry for the somewhat misguiding subj, but for me the game sums up to the following:

PvE - run with the crowds, otherwise - you stomp regular mobs, but can't do squat against almost all champions and whatnot interesting.

PvP - efficiency fest, for any profession. You either run the most optimal build or get wrecked. Boring. I get that all the time in RL, thank you very much:).

WvW - haven't tried that yet, to be honest, but from reading the forums I imagine it's "run and prevent running", the rest doesn't matter that much.

I actually seek help here, not trolling. I love the game's visuals, I love my character's fighting animations (most of them anyway), but ULTIMATELY my question is: will I get any fun out of this game if I'm NOT the competitive type?

Yes because the competitive stuff isn’t really a big enough part of the game. If you don’t wvw or go to spvp, there is virtually no competitive stuff in open world. And the competitive stuff is largely neglected anyway. WvW does benefit from being part of a larger community though.

Everything in pve  is deliberately designed for either solo or cooperative play. And it’s the mmo that does this better than any other. Yes there will be mobs you need to team up with to beat,  but that is to be expected. There are plenty of champs or lower mobs and events and stories and collections and achievements that can be done solo.

What specifically do you need help with?

Edited by Randulf.7614

First of all, make sure you join a Guild that suits you best, GW2 is a very sociable MMORPG and its enjoyed better when having people to talk and play with. You can also get help from them in case you got questions.

Now, the game is sepparated in 2 modes, PVP (WvW and sPvP) and PVE. I'll be talking about what can you do in PVE.

You can divide PVE in two categories, Open World and  Instanced. Your description for pve fits well for Open World, where you just run around doing events and beating bosses. Instanced however are naturally more challenging due to it having a limited player cap, so its less of a "zerg boses until they die" and more about sound strategy and compositions.

I'll list the instanced activities from easier to harder, you can do your research after.

Strike Missions are 10 man encounters that are relatively easy to do, you do need some healers in your squad but overall its a friendly introduction to instanced content.

Fractals of the Mists 5 man group content. you could say these are the modern Dungeons, they are really fun to do and learn because it introduces to a lot of mechanics that makes GW2 a fun 3D combat MMO game. There are 4 levels that we call Tiers, Tier1 is the easiest and its very friendly so feel free to start learning from there. T4 however might be considered one of the hardest instanced content on the game.

Dungeons is a 5 man instanced content and comes in 8 dungeons in total and each one has two parts: Story and Explorable, story is self explanatory and its relatively easy to do in groups, and tells a story parallel to the Personal Story (Your lv10-80 storyline). Explorable however is really tough, each dungeon has a minimum of 3 different paths you can follow from the start, some paths are tough but others are complete ruthless. worst of all is that this is abandoned content and not many people actively run dungeons unless its a Daily.

Raids are 10 man group content and the one that requires a good group composition to complete. You might need previous preparation for this type of content since it does require that you can lift your own weight and put your part in order to prevent failing. It is not really hard and daunting at it sounds though, but i'm only saying that you do need some previous preparation before joining a group, so make sure to ask around for builds and roles, join discord servers and look for Raid Training Groups if youre up for the challenge.

There are also Dragon Response Missions that were added recently and are part of the Story (Finale of the Icebrood Saga), but honestly these are pretty dull and are basically glorified open world events but limited to 5 players.

And Story, which you might have probably already started, its really fun and interesting.

Edited by Wolfb.7025
  • Confused 1

Sorry to undermine your attempt to help, but the phrase

6 minutes ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

You can also get help from help

is not so reassuring:). Anyway, my thanks for replying. The story is NOT that much interesting, compared to the best of single player game (sorry for the comparison, but that;s what I have "in store"), but it's good. it's got the good idea. However, I thank you for explaining the basics... my knowledge of using the Internet comes down to reading what's avail-ably written:).

I find it interesting the parallel you noted between PvE and PvP. How PvP is about efficiency yet in PvE killing a Champ is very hard. 

It is that dedication to build efficiency that is seen in competitive modes that is required to make a build that can kill OW champs solo.  However since OW has different variables to be aware of, and the professions offer so many build options, that there is no ‘right’ way to build for OW. 

For myself this has been an area of interest, making OW builds that include profession mechanics I enjoy, with enough power and sustain to endure pretty much anything.  Perhaps exploring build-crafting will open up the game for you  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Gwaymor.9607 said:

PvE - run with the crowds, otherwise - you stomp regular mobs, but can't do squat against almost all champions and whatnot interesting.

Hum ? That actualy what I and some other people do and have fun with.

Soloing hard Champ/Leg/DG/Fractal, finding the right build for them, it's very fun for some of us :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

For myself this has been an area of interest, making OW builds that include profession mechanics I enjoy, with enough power and sustain to endure pretty much anything.  Perhaps exploring build-crafting will open up the game for you  

Misjudging was always my undoing, so - thank you for pointing my probable mistake.

Champs are soloable, as others have already mentioned. Part of the long-term fun of this game's PvE is figuring out how to build a class to solo such challenges. Even the notoriously flimsy elementalist can be built (in both tempest and weaver elite specs, at least) to hit disgustingly hard while also having a variety of avoid/escape/sustain tools. Necromancer and ranger in particular are good places to start, as those classes can be inherently more forgiving in terms of soloing stuff not meant to be soloed.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Gwaymor.9607 said:

I actually seek help here, not trolling. I love the game's visuals, I love my character's fighting animations (most of them anyway), but ULTIMATELY my question is: will I get any fun out of this game if I'm NOT the competitive type?

Looking for non-crowd, non-competitive content?

• Tons of story content
  • Tons and tons of Achievements, Collections, and what not
  • Map exploration
  • Fractals (5-people endgame content)
  • Raids (10-people endgame content)
  • Dungeons (also 5 ppl)
  • Guild Hall acquisition and decoration (you can spend months, even years on this)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Gwaymor.9607 said:

To be honest: hopes only:). I played the game somewhere during its launch, and got caught in a lot of trouble in RL since that. Then I thought to myself "why not", and that was the cause:).

Hope you find what is fun and appealing to you in game, many good suggestions and posts here.  Best wishes for you irl and in Tyria.  

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Gwaymor.9607 said:

Sorry for the somewhat misguiding subj, but for me the game sums up to the following:

PvP - efficiency fest, for any profession. You either run the most optimal build or get wrecked. Boring. I get that all the time in RL, thank you very much:).

WvW - haven't tried that yet, to be honest, but from reading the forums I imagine it's "run and prevent running", the rest doesn't matter that much.

You can solo most champions and even many legendary bosses, but you have to know what you're doing.  Is that something you would find interesting?  That's up to you, but it is not accurate that you can't do squat against champions.  Example.

Competitive modes are not only about build, so if it feels that way to you then you're probably just new and losing doesn't feel good.  Blame whatever you like for that, but I'd advise simply accepting that no matter what build you play you will lose a lot when you solo roam because many players who are confident enough to roam alone have put thousands of hours of practice in and will simply beat you due to lack of experience.  Accept it or run with a squad.  Even hot shot streamers who try to jump in without experience get wrecked.

8 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

You can solo most champions and even many legendary bosses, but you have to know what you're doing.

Well, the example IS astonishing, but I didn't even see you evade a single time. Does that mean your armor and/or sustain is such that you needn't evade? How did you get your hands on such equipment, or what am I missing here?:)

4 hours ago, Gwaymor.9607 said:

Well, the example IS astonishing, but I didn't even see you evade a single time. Does that mean your armor and/or sustain is such that you needn't evade? How did you get your hands on such equipment, or what am I missing here?:)

That particular clip was originally designed to showcase a build with very high passive sustain.  What better way to do that than to take down a heavy-hitter like Balthazar HP while using neither dodge nor active heal, right?

There's a little more to the story, however.  The boss can be stunned twice during the fight (four times, actually, but that requires slowing down the pace considerably!).  Since the fight only lasted 40 seconds, those stun windows actually make up a significant amount of time where I'm able to burn the boss hard without taking any damage in return.  If the fight had dragged on much longer I would have had to start dodging because there were no more breakbars to buy time with.  Since the sustain is unsustainable, the damage is the other key component.

That isn't the only way to play it, though.  That build used fire/earth with trailblazer stats.  Here's a clip of fire/arcane weaver taking down the vampire broodmother HP champion while only getting hit twice (I think?) the entire fight.  The armor was completely useless there.  However, sometimes you can't dodge everything and it's actually even stronger if you give up some armor and add some healing power and boon duration to the mix with celestial fire/arcane.

That's why I say "if you know what you're doing."  The build system is very freeform, which means you can make a lot of really bad builds that don't work.  There's also that action combat element.  If you aren't good at reading enemy telegraphs and dodging, you'll struggle in a lot of solo situations as facetanking even with high armor builds isn't a great way to go in most cases.

So, maybe you found something of interest to work toward, huh?  Also, check out videos by Lord Hizen.  He's the guy who first inspired me to start learning how to do this kind of stuff.

• Thanks 3