Really upset you cant buy PoF on sale now!

I knew this would happen! Amazon isnt selling them now and anet wont put it for sale on their site. Im so mad because a bunch of us couldnt even buy it before they sold out. Seriously wth is the deal, now all the seller sites bought up all the keys and we are sol. Why even point us to these sellers if they dont have the stock? I mean they sold out in an hour, mainly bought up by sites that resell keys for even more.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 5
  • Confused 8

18 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

The PoF expansion has been on a 50% sale many times over the past couple of years. Why didn’t you buy it then?

Excuse me this is the first time I have seen it on sale with HoT included and btw wth advertise it on sale for a month and poof its gone in an hour? Sounds like anet didnt give many codes,so why not honor the sale on its own site? This is freaking ridic a lot of people never even got a chance to buy it, the non supported sites bought up all the keys And you cant buy from those sites because anet says they are not legal lol Maybe not sell at amazon they are getting sketch 

It’s a great time to dive into Guild Wars 2 and get ready for the third expansion, Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons™. The Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ expansion is included, so you’ll get everything you need to unlock gliding, mounts, and two sets of elite specializations. From November 26 until December 31, get 50% off when you purchase of Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire™ from one of our participating retailers.

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 3
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Excuse me this is the first time I have seen it on sale with HoT included and btw wth advertise it on sale for a month and poof its gone in an hour? Sounds like anet didnt give many codes,so why not honor the sale on its own site? This is freaking ridic a lot of people never even got a chance to buy it, the non supported sites bought up all the keys And you cant buy from those sites because anet says they are not legal lol 

PoF has included HoT since like 2019.  August 30th, 2019 to be exact where they made it included and retroactive as well. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

PoF has included HoT since like 2017. 

Well thats wrong because I didnt start this game till late 2018 and then didnt buy the expansions till 2019 and they were sold separately.  It was later in 2019 they bundled them. 

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035070613-FAQ-Heart-of-Thorns-Refund-Eligibility

Edited by Zuldari.3940
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

40 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

The PoF expansion has been on a 50% sale many times over the past couple of years. Why didn’t you buy it then?

I dont get this reply, just because it happened before doesn't invalidate that fact their sale today is only available to specific region. Problem ain't about didn't buy before but what wrong with available to everyone? What if a new player want to buy this expasion now but not in available region?

Oh i'm sure somebody gonna give advice how to bypass the region restriction but do people have to go through all the hoops and BS just to buy something so simple?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Well thats wrong because I didnt start this game till late 2018 and then didnt buy the expansions till 2019 and they were sold separately.  It was later in 2019 they bundled them. 

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035070613-FAQ-Heart-of-Thorns-Refund-Eligibility

I edited my post as you created yours. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

I dont get this reply, just because it happened before doesn't invalidate that fact their sale today is only available to specific region. Problem ain't about didn't buy before but what wrong with available to everyone? What if a new player want to buy this expasion now but not in available region?

Oh i'm sure somebody gonna give advice how to bypass the region restriction but do people have to go through all the hoops and BS just to buy something so simple?

There’s no region restriction for the game. You can buy a key from a vendor in another country and it’ll work anywhere in the world. 

• Like 1

If the discount is truly available until December 31st, are you sure there will be no more codes?  A few months ago, when codes were discounted, and they ran out, ArenaNet released more codes to the official retailers. 

I imagine we will hear something about the issue tomorrow, when the Devs come back from the Thanksgiving holiday. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

There’s no region restriction for the game. You can buy a key from a vendor in another country and it’ll work anywhere in the world. 

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-sales-on-gem-cards-and-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-this-weekend/
so only Amazon have this restriction? I can't understand other site so i dont want to risk it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/big-sales-on-gem-cards-and-guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-this-weekend/
so only Amazon have this restriction? I can't understand other site so i dont want to risk it

That's not a region lock on the game. Some retailers have websites dedicated to various countries such as what you see with Amazon. You can order the digital code from any of them and use it to unlock the expansions regardless of where you live. 

I’m assuming IT stands for Italy which currently does still have PoF registration keys available for sale.  If they’re arbitrarily doing a region lock on purchases made on their website, you can get around this by just creating a new account and using a payment method that doesn’t have a billing address. 

Edited by mythical.6315

4 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

That's not a region lock on the game. Some retailers have websites dedicated to various countries such as what you see with Amazon. You can order the digital code from any of them and use it to unlock the expansions regardless of where you live. 

I’m assuming IT stands for Italy which currently does still have PoF registration keys available for sale. 

If you pay with creditcard you have to enter your real address. Then amazon will tell you, you are not eligible to buy from their (region specific) site. I tried all of them. I am lucky I had German at high school and paid a tiny bit of attention:) so I could buy from a German game site.

So, yes the keys are not region locked. However,  retailers somehow gate this sale geographically. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Buying from another region's retailer also means dealing with whatever the exchange rate is between your currency & their's, in addition to VAT, taxes, which can result in a few dollars off the regular price of $29.99 vs a reduction of $15.00. 

We're much better off waiting for ArenaNet to host the sale on their own site, at the full discount, which I imagine they'll do again sometime prior to the release of EoD. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I knew this would happen! Amazon isnt selling them now and anet wont put it for sale on their site. Im so mad because a bunch of us couldnt even buy it before they sold out. Seriously wth is the deal, now all the seller sites bought up all the keys and we are sol. Why even point us to these sellers if they dont have the stock? I mean they sold out in an hour, mainly bought up by sites that resell keys for even more.

Doesn’t PoF only cost 30€? Who needs a sale for that? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

29 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Doesn’t PoF only cost 30€? Who needs a sale for that? 

I think that the OP is more upset by the fact that there were so few codes, that they sold out long before the sale end date, in addition to missing out on being able to take advantage of the sale price. 

To your point though, many people need sales when making all kinds of purchases, especially purchases that are for entertainment purposes only.  

Personally, even if I could find a way to do so, why would I pay 30 Euros, which is $43.09 CAD currently, plus VAT, taxes etc., when I could pay $15.00 CAD? 

With apologies yoni, if you were being sarcastic & I misunderstood you. 🤔 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

I’m assuming IT stands for Italy which currently does still have PoF registration keys available for sale.  If they’re arbitrarily doing a region lock on purchases made on their website, you can get around this by just creating a new account and using a payment method that doesn’t have a billing address. 

Amazon also locks sales of digital goods in it's regional stores over here in Europe which are all serviced by the same subsidiary located in Luxembourg (tax reasons). The only exception is Austria which is serviced by the German store as well. If they run out of codes in Europe, it won't matter if it's the UK, German or French store.

Creating a new account for Amazon in another country is quite difficult and unless you have a working mobile phone number of that country, a payment method that links you to an address to that country and an existing address in that country, they won't sell to you. They don't want any anonymous buyers for a variety of reasons nowadays.

Trying to buy from one of the small retailers that don't restrict their sales as much might be a bit tricky as well. Gamecardsdirect (Dutch retailer) seems to have run out of codes sometime yesterday afternoon and the Czech one seems to be low on keys as well since they removed the discount sometime during the night.

Right now you are basically left with GameLiebe (Swiss retailer), if you are desperate to buy.

20 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

I mean they sold out in an hour, mainly bought up by sites that resell keys for even more.

No, they didn't sell out in an hour. It took them at least half a day or so.  :classic_tongue:

From what I've seen, those scummy resellers aren't really offering that many discounted codes yet either. It's mostly those market place folks who might have bought some additional codes to make a quick buck here and there.

It seems more likely that people who got the free heroic edition via Amazon/Twitch Prime (and other F2P players) are upgrading in much higher numbers than expected. There might also be a large number of players who want to buy more secondary accounts in preparation for EoD.

If you only want to upgrade your main account, consider buying the deluxe edition which is also discounted by 50%. In my opinion that's the only deluxe edition from any GW2 release that's actually worth buying.

That doesn't change the fact that this sale is another mess similar to that one in 2019 that quite outraged the community. Personally I think that Anet's PR regarding this sale is also highly amateurish and it's not even about the fact that they don't bother to proofread the news they publish on their own website. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Sarajiel.5830
sarcasm tags and clarification
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

do people have to go through all the hoops and BS just to buy something so simple?

This right here is the problem, because it seems to be a recurring issue when ArenaNet runs this kind of promotion. Either it's not available for people to buy because of where they live, or it's a promo through a sub shop only located in myth, or the planets align perfectly and it's available through a retailer you can access - but the stock is gone before you can sneeze.

It isn't that ArenaNet's not allowed to do promos or that they can't partner up for wonky little marketing offshoots, but it sure would be nice if they offered more 'hey, get our product directly from us for less than usual' sales too.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Canadians aren't alone just now.

Ironically, even though the holidays are over, Americans still can't buy PoF from Amazon US either so... 

Europeans are doing fine though. 😛 Every European Amazon retailer listed not only offers the game at 50% off, but some of them also offer the gems and / or the combo game & gems right from the same page, all on sale, all available for residents of their respective countries only. 

I'm still confident though, that another sale on the game will be offered prior to the release of EoD. 🤞 

Edited by Stelawrat.6589
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Two questions.

Is it an Amazon sale or an ArenaNet sale?  ArenaNet has no control over the Jeff Bezos conglomeration of nightmares.

Is there problems with the GW2 Collection that cotnains every expansion?  It's priced at $50 but I can't tell if it's pro-rated if you already have any of the expansions (such as HoT).  Still, $50 for all three expansions seems preferable to what I did which is #30 for each expansion as they came out.  

Sorry, question 3:

Is there a problem with waiting for a sale on the official store?  It seems best to bypass the retailers and wait for a sale from ArenaNet directly.  

None of these questions are meant to be offensive in any way.  I'm just trying to understand the depth of the problem posed in this thread.  I, personally, never bother with retailers when it comes to ArenaNet and only purchased things directly from them.  I'm not sure of the advantages of going to a retailer so I may be missing something.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Is it an Amazon sale or an ArenaNet sale?  ArenaNet has no control over the Jeff Bezos conglomeration of nightmares.

It's an ArenaNet sale in cooperation with their official retailers according to the GW2 website. We probably won't get any explanation why it turned into such a mess  (again).

Is there problems with the GW2 Collection that cotnains every expansion?  It's priced at $50 but I can't tell if it's pro-rated if you already have any of the expansions (such as HoT).  Still, $50 for all three expansions seems preferable to what I did which is #30 for each expansion as they came out.  

Depends on what you already got and whether you want an additional lvl 80 boost and shared inventory slot or not. Spending $10 more could be worth much for many players regardless if the already have a HoT license or not. Personally I'd always buy the HoT & PoF bundle and the EoD expansion separately for that reason alone.

Is there a problem with waiting for a sale on the official store?  It seems best to bypass the retailers and wait for a sale from ArenaNet directly.  

We don't know when the next sale will happen. It could be quite a long wait. We also don't really know yet if they sale of PoF on amazon.com actually stops tomorrow or not. Originally it was announced to last till Dec. 31st.

At the moment NCsoft seems to have a marketing agreement with Amazon for their Twitch Prime service giving away promotional goodies for other games than GW2 as well.

Edited by Sarajiel.5830
typos
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Sarajiel.5830 said:

It's an ArenaNet sale in cooperation with their official retailers according to the GW2 website. We probably won't get any explanation why it turned into such a mess  (again).

Kay, looking at the webpage (here for any reader that wants to see it)  It looks like they do officially endorse the sale with "participating retailers"

From the webpage: "[f]rom November 26 until December 31, get 50% off when you purchase of Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire™ from one of our participating retailers.."  (emphasis added).

I'm not sure what's going on in the background, but the emphasized part indicates that there exists a possibility that not all retailers wanted to participate in the sale.  As well, the sale is only done with those retailers that have an agreement with ArenaNet.  There's a lot of background processes for why or why not retailers of any given region will or won't form a business partnership with ArenaNet.

This is one of the wonders of the Eurozone and the lack of truly international laws.  Things are going to be different for every different country because each different country has a different government that wants to do its own, different thing.

47 minutes ago, Sarajiel.5830 said:

Depends on what you already got and whether you want an additional lvl 80 boost and shared inventory slot or not. Spending $10 more could be worth much for many players regardless if the already have a HoT license or not. Personally I'd always buy the HoT & PoF bundle and the EoD expansion separately for that reason alone.

Absolutely did not think of that.  Good point there.

47 minutes ago, Sarajiel.5830 said:

We don't know when the next sale will happen. It could be quite a long wait. We also don't really know yet if they sale of PoF on amazon.com actually stops tomorrow or not. Originally it was announced to last till Dec. 31st.

At the moment NCsoft seems to have a marketing agreement with Amazon for their Twitch Prime service giving away promotional goodies for other games than GW2 as well.

Yep, I can see a problem with this.  If the sales are pretty sporadic with no discernable pattern, that could definitely be a frustration.

Edited by Rogue.8235
The post posted before I clicked post somewhow, and I had to finish it

58 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

There are more participating shops than the Amazons of the world. Have you tried the others?

In my region its only amazon US doing it. But that dont matter I went ahead and bought the digital deluxe they had some left on amazon at half off. So its a good deal you get some good things with it like the permanent lily of elon pass, the max boost, xtra character slot , identity repair kit. Its still sad you cant get such a great deal since they are sold out, and some regions cant even get it at all. More promotion and keys would bring a lot of new players to the game, esp now people are looking toward EoD. Dont cut off your nose to spite your face Anet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/29/2021 at 3:37 PM, Zuldari.3940 said:

Excuse me this is the first time I have seen it on sale with HoT included and btw wth advertise it on sale for a month and poof its gone in an hour? Sounds like anet didnt give many codes,so why not honor the sale on its own site? This is freaking ridic a lot of people never even got a chance to buy it, the non supported sites bought up all the keys And you cant buy from those sites because anet says they are not legal lol Maybe not sell at amazon they are getting sketch 

First of all, POF always comes with HoT since the announcement a couple of years ago now.  It's included. On sale, not on sale., no matter where you buy it from, HoT comes with PoF. It's not part of any sale.

Secondly Anet doesn't randomly send keys to Amazon, it's not how sales work. Amazon orders keys from Anet.  When I was in software, and advertisted stuff on sale, I estimated what I needed and ordered that many or maybe a few more. Distributors and manufacturers didn't just send me product.  You have to order product.

Amazon misjudged how much they need and they're a big enough company that they don't react to shortages very quickly, particularly over a weekend.  They simply eat whatever they lost and move on. There are hundreds of items on sale this weekend on Amazon, many of them what would have sold more than Guild Wars 2.  Big business doesn't make it's money on one product but lots of products. If they made a mistake on this one, they don't care that much. It's sad, but it's true. They're still making bank.

But let's not blame Anet for not supplying enough codes, because that's silly.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1