Shields needs more ATTENTION

Hagion.1086

Hi,

Shields in GW2 are one of the most forgettable weapons in the game, and I think they deserves more love...

The bonus defense and reduction of DMG is almost zero impact in u survival...and only in specific situations they skills 4 and 5 has some use...

Because of GW2 "rewards" a DPS gameplay way better than others "rolls", shields became a skipped weapon in pretty much every profession, almost a trap weapon tbh.

Hell! Even gemstore never give us shield skins, because they know that weapon are skipped by players.

Plz ANET! Makes shields more relevant and impacting in the game!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Not sure I agree. There have been threads about shields before and lots of people admit to using them. I’m a big fan of Warrior and Guardian shields and I certainly think Warrior shield is in a great place. I’d be wary of any changes - Guardian shield has cycled through changes before to mixed results. Maybe some numerical adjustments, but Id be unhappy with any wholesale changes 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

The thing I dislike most with shield is that when you hit an enemy with a shield, even a random mob, you'll get a magic "evade"-sound. I wish shields had "CLONK" sounds like you really hit hard on something made of wood or metal.

Also, yes, there are really some nice shield skins, but nothing rewards shield play.

Edited by Rhywolver.8250
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:

The sooner we get mainhand Shield, the sooner can become Roller Beetles 

I'd also like to surf mine like Legolas and Captain America.

Maybe even lash on to another mounted player and water-ski behind.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hagion.1086 said:

Hi,

Shields in GW2 are one of the most forgettable weapons in the game, and I think they deserves more love...

The bonus defense and reduction of DMG is almost zero impact in u survival...and only in specific situations they skills 4 and 5 has some use...

Because of GW2 "rewards" a DPS gameplay way better than others "rolls", shields became a skipped weapon in pretty much every profession, almost a trap weapon tbh.

Hell! Even gemstore never give us shield skins, because they know that weapon are skipped by players.

"Buff what I like" posts never get old.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Hagion.1086 said:

Hi,

Shields are one of the most used weapons in competitive play.  Shields also allow for solo pve play without investing any defensive stats as they completely mitigate damage.

If you're only concern is core map open world pve, then yes, shields are not needed there.  Even then, they bring break bar damage.  The game is more than just DPS open world mobs in core Tyria.  

Moreover, there are too many complaint threads about expansion map open world difficulty and boss mechanics for there to be a complaint about shields.  

As for shield skins, They're great.  They really highlight the aesthetic of the weapon set and there are many black lion shield skins as well as .  Now, what you don't see are stand-alone underwater weapon skins.  That's a different matter.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Three of my five characters use a shield - Healbrand, Chrono, and Holosmith. These are everyday builds for open-world, fractals, dungeons, metas, etc. The shield on all of them add sustain through blocks, aegis, stuns, etc. I'm not sure why you would think they don't improve your defense; because shield certainly does for these three classes.

There is more to the game than Raids and Raid builds. There is a lot of content where balancing DPS with a little sustain actually goes a long way to helping you to DPS more during a fight. The high DPS potential of a build doesn't mean squat if you're laying around waiting for someone to revive you, or you're constantly running away waiting for heal to get off cooldown because you're always about to die.

Edited by Stone.6751
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Shield is commonly used on Holosmith.

Sure! Its only offhand weapon option for this profession. *Facepalm"

12 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

As for shield skins, They're great

12 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I think there are a lot of very attractive shields

16 hours ago, Tiilimon.6094 said:

for skins, I think the Wolfheart shield looks very good.

I do not say that shields no have good options for skins. I mentioned the GEMSTORE almost never give us new options... Ok ok wolfheart and Mist Stranger are great, but that's it? 2 good skins for gemstore in 9 years?

Shields are more like a weapon with bad DPS than an shield...

This is just my opinion, but I disagree. I think the shield serves their purpose as a secondary weapon, as is the case in real-life battle.  (there are exceptions, but I think it would be a good idea to not deviate too much.) The shield for the Warrior? Shield bash gives a lovely stun, if traited right it can reflect projectiles. As a Guardian, it can give Aegis to up to 5 people and block incoming projectiles. On the Revenant, it can give some nice buffs. (If I'm remembering right.) On the Chronomancer, it serves as CC as well as alacrity. As the OP mentioned later on in this topic, Engineers use shield as projectile reflects and stuns. In regards to skins, I've acquired and used a great many of them, all of which I either got in a BLC, world events, instances, and so on. I feel as though the problem lies in their underutilization, not the lack of utility.  4 of the 9 classes can use a shield, all of which serve a purpose. Also, sorry if this is word soup, I haven't slept yet. 

Edited by Tsakhi.8124
Edited because I'm dumb.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

because sheild is supposed to be a good DPS weapon? What does this even mean? Sheilds ARE bad DPS weapons so 🤷‍♂️

Dude... when do I said shields supposed to be good DPS weapon?

I says that shields in this game don't fell like a defensive equipment...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Hagion.1086 said:

Dude... when do I said shields supposed to be good DPS weapon?

I says that shields in this game don't fell like a defensive equipment...

Again, you make some statements that don't make sense "Sheilds are more like a weapon with bad DPS ... than a shield" ... well, yeah, that's exactly what they are because they aren't offensive weapons. How that statement is worded, you seem to be implying they shouldn't be weapons with bad DPS ... well the alternative is what? It's good DPS. 

If shields don't feel like defensive gear, that's just a weird thing to say. It's some of the most defensive weapon you can use; every single shield implementation in this game is either some sort of damage mitigation or a hard CC. What more do you think they should do if they aren't defensive enough for you?

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2