Siege Turtle Feedback Thread [Merged]

1 hour ago, Dakiaris.2798 said:

I posted about this awhile ago and people kept "lul get friends"ing me so I stand my ground and say if it launches like this it's going to disappoint a lot of people. Making a headlining feature of the expansion require 2 people is a very bold move since most people are already lukewarm on the expansion due to the especs mostly being reused animations and very meh feeling.

Some will say I'm just a pessimist but honestly I'm not alone.

I agree. I'm not excited for the expansion at all. I will buy it mainly to play thru the story but hopefully there are some hidden gems we don't know about yet. 

• Like 2

The appearance of the Siege turtle is very good, assuming we can dye it different colors.  I like the two cannons mounted on either side. 

The Siege Turtle is moving way too fast.  It's top speed should move the same speed at we normally run/walk.  It's a siege weapon and siege weapons do not move fast.  Also, it's a turtle and turtles aren't known for speed either. 

When mounting the turtle, it would be a good idea to have the camera pan backwards.  I found myself looking at the back-side of the turtle when I first mounted it.

Attacking, having a turtle jump as an attack seems out of place again it's a turtle.  Siege weapons cannot defend themselves for close-in attacks.  The long distance cannon is nice and does the damage I would expect from a siege weapon.  But in the water it should be the same shooting style as on land.  Shooting in the water is instantaneous on land we have to aim. 

Moving along the surface of the water was a bit awkward.  I like the slow sinking aspect when going to the bottom in a lake.

The flying aspect is way too far fetched.  A huge weapon flying doesn't really make sense.  Also, the turtle tends to slide like a car sliding in the rain when it lands sideways. 

If everyone is using the turtle, the size of the turtle makes the area too crowded. 

I would recommend that one siege turtle for a squad of 5-6 players rather than two players.  Each one contributing a different aspect.  Example one positions the weapon, another fires the weapon, another controls the movements, yet another controls speed, etc.  Teamwork to make this weapon effective

It's a good concept but please consider looking at the siege weapon in the original Guild Wars.  That concept seemed to be very well balanced from my memory. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I don't understand all the complaints about a co-op mount not being fun solo. It's a co-op mount.

I think that the real issue, which is hidden by the solo/coop discussion is that it's not being fun for the driver. And the mount's owners cannot choose which seat they will be in - they will always be drivers, and thus lose out on fun. As such, who would want to be the one actually summoning that mount, instead of hoping someone else might do that?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Seems like a cool concept but in reality, the turtle mount is pretty boring and not worth using over faster and more agile mounts. While playing solo, there is zero reason to use this over the Skyscale.

If they don't come up with a way to make solo turtle mount more fun and engaging, I won't be using the mount at all unless it's required to pass some idiotic game design.

Edited by Zeph.5927
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I think that the real issue, which is hidden by the solo/coop discussion is that it's not being fun for the driver. And the mount's owners cannot choose which seat they will be in - they will always be drivers, and thus lose out on fun. As such, who would want to be the one actually summoning that mount, instead of hoping someone else might do that?

Exactly this ^

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Passenger needs to be unmounted by pressing any mount keybind, the way all other mounts work.  Hopefully requiring X (the generic mount/unmount keybind) is just an omission, because it should work like the rest of them and not be a special case.  I never use (or even waste a key on) the generic mount binding since I already have all the individual mounts mapped directly, and was surprised at finding the turtle holding me hostage.

Also, have to say my partner and I were both pretty disappointed at how little you gave turtle players to do, gunner especially.  We were expecting an array of firing options and fun things to do.  Still wish you would just let another player (or both players--let the driver stop driving and start playing while it lumbers to a halt and parks!) stand/walk on the turtle's back and play their class abilities as normal (obviously, smart riders will build for range or support, not melee, but even that bias adds play variety to some classes and enhances template utility--having a separate turtle-back template/build like our underwater settings would be lovely).  That would be a lot more fun than this being reduced to a single AoE strike.  Both turtle players have their play entirely replaced with a much less fun or interesting game, which really kills our interest in using the mount at all.  Turtle as ridable tank platform would have been a lot more fun.

The molasses-like slowdown on entering water is pretty ridiculous and fun dampening, too.  Turtles are obviously slower on land, not in water.

My partner and I always play as a team of two side-by-side on our couch, and I don't see us ever wanting to use this.  If we give it a pass, what place does it have?

Edited by Tyrian Mollusk.1563
  • Like 2

The turtle underwater should be looked into. Either that means unlimited jump jets until it gets out of water or controls like a slower skimmer underwater.

Depending on how far you go down, only 2 ways to get to the top with the turtle currently, is either the Number 7 skill to recharge or hop onto a higher underwater land piece, wait for recharge, and repeat.

• Like 1

@Sentient Anomaly.9473

OMG this guy is awesome. You guys did a great job making sure you could feel the weight of this creature without making it too cumbersome and difficult to drive.

Just a few things about underwater travel specifically:

1) The turtles footfalls on the ground while underwater are splashes and should perhaps be bubbles instead. It sort of broke immersion a little and confused my brain about whether I was underwater or not. 🙂

3) Maybe just.....a tiny bit more speed while walking underwater?

Thank you guys for all of your fantastic work!

Edited by veniatulip.3905
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

A bit surprised to see so many people talking about it in the solo experience. The turtle always felt like it was meant to fill the particular niche of having fun with a friend, especially one that might not have mounts or doesn't know the game as well. I suppose they could move some of the duo options to the driver if they are solo, just to give it a little more playability, but I'm not really bothered by it. It's super fun to mess around with with a friend and its goofy aspects only add to that.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

It is pretty fun but I feel the slam could likely benefit from keeping the cone while adding a slight area of effect circle around the impact point. It is extremely easy to miss currently, more so when moving at max speed to give your gunner more shots. Just a minor tweak to make it a bit more driver friendly really.

huge props for each limb properly curved to the surface. Turtle sounds, looks and feels like the most 'grounded' direct extension of the player offered so far by the Joy of Movement suite. biggest draw has been the fact that engage doesnt dismount you. this mount has immediately become my go to simply because whether or not i waypoint first, this is our first permamount. it kinda feels like everyone at anet was waiting to make this one haha. i have been finding myself in some alien version of subnautica just hanging out in the waters around sandswept isle just begging for pests to act tough.

its honestly been like 2 hours since i did anything land based, this has been a completely refreshing way to experience underwater. the overall suite of water mechanics grew on me exponentially as i watched them all come together and then remembered elevation increased slam dmg. bouncing off the water like a skipping stone as a party trick is surely to be something somewhere. 

i keep forgetting to even look for ppl to ask if anyone wants to hop in gunner seat so i can see what thats like. im honestly hooked on its solo capabilities but im sure slam damage will have continued fine tuning before and after holiday break. overall, the gw2 experience as of today is honestly bringing me back to those abstract childhood dreams made of all my favorite games and worlds

my single improvement suggestion would be increase the forward grip on its underwater walk but decrease its speed, then we can still game the sliding around mechanic for maximum slide, or focus on maintaining tight grip movements while tapping w in walk mode perhaps.

the devs have done an amazingly consistent job synergizing the timing of movement and animations in-engine so that what we interact with on screen is as reliable as can be learned.

Edited by Hofulu.7325
  • Confused 3

Haven't tried it in co-op mode yet but so far, land movement, AMAZING, it feels heavy and clunky and walk mode is SO slow and plodding it's perfect. Only thing I think would be nice is if the momentum bar and speed built up a little more slowly? It doesn't feel very rewarding to try to get high momentum rn and that seems to be the driver's primary contribution to the shooty pewpew parts.

Underwater, though, not so great. I like the "sink to the bottom" mechanic, but the "drifting" is a billion times worse even though it should be less? Water has more resistance than air, you'd lose momentum faster. And just from a gameplay angle, taking the mobility hit under water of the speed decrease is already more than enough without giving us even more of the sliding. It feels not great.

Also, switching to walk mode underwater goes faster than on land, which is fine, except the walking animation is identical and the same speed, leading to a really weird look of sliding across the sandy underwater floor. And as I saw someone else mentioned, the footsteps under water make splashes, which looks really weird.

• Like 1

I love the siege turtle! I love the big slow boy.

The underwater movement does kinda feel funky when walking perpendicular to an incline. The hover out of water feels a little short but I know there's a mastery to increase it, so maybe that'll feel better with it fully mastered. The engage skill feels satisfying for damage but I do have to sit and wait for enemies to get close enough to use it (especially underwater).

Overall I'm so stoked for my turtle baby in the expansion.

• Confused 2

I LOVE the Turtle, I understand the reasoning for the walking underwater, but I feel that the driver can only really drive unless something is lined up perfectly for a slam, maybe change the attack underwater to a front face gun, it kinda feels like I get to drive and that is it underwater.

I had not experienced the game crash with invisibility

We tried to teleport, it did not pull my passenger

if I am running solo, it feels like there is no point in using the Turtle, maybe access to a non siege class weapon for the driver in this instance

I was taking full advantage (and I do not know if you all planned this) of using the jump to burn swarms of enemies around me

Maybe a little better handbraking on the drift? 

None of this is do or die, just my feelings on it

5 hours ago, ffletcher.3468 said:

Why do I get the feeling that I am going to have no desire to play this clunky looking creature ever?  And that being unable to play it solo will cinch that? And that getting multiple levels of mastery for it will be the kiss of death for this new expansion? Real bad feeling here.

You're not a glass half full kind of person?  Not even a glass half empty?  More like a someone-drank-half-the-glass-with-their-disgusting-mouth kind of person?

I don't know.  Can I get some more hints?  It's a really hard question to answer considering I can't read your head.

Oh, oh, are you a there-isn't-a-glass-anymore-because-some-idiot-exploded-it kind of person?

Edit:

On topic, I remember the slew of threads complaining about how limited the skyscale was when it was released.

Now there's threads about how it is so good it's mandatory.

People are making snap judgements with little to no information.

Edited by Rogue.8235
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1