Siege Turtle Feedback Thread [Merged]

Pros:

+ Amazing design, the turtle is juste stunning

+ Skills: there are very fun to use on both front and back of the turtle

Cons:

- The mobility, especially when you're trying to turn roght and left. Sometimes you have to move back a bit to be able to turn (like a real car).

Anyway, huge congratulations to the dev. team, I LOVE IT!

Edited by Adah.8371
  • Like 1

I tried it solo. 

Mechanically it feels alright. I think it is probably good to go without many changes.

I am not sure I would even us it for anything, or what it is supposed to be for? Solo obviously I woud be using a different mount. I am not sure why I would invite a friend to use it with me. If we have to go somewhere it is better to be both on individual mounts, if we are in combat it is better and more fun to be on foot. I am assuming that the rason for the mount is some sort of content in EOD that hasn't been announced yet. I am not sure on the need for it in the current game. Maybe just for open world players who like simple combat? 

That being said I am not against the mount being implemented as it is. If people really like it it is a good addition to the game.

Edited by ovenglove.9528

I only play solo, so the siege turtle is not as useful for me as I would like. I would like to see an option for cannon use by the solo player.

I did try it out to get a feel for controlling the siege turtle and found it to be difficult to turn when going full speed much like the roller beetle. I also think that it moves much faster than it should, being that it is supposed to be a turtle. I haven't tried it under water yet. Perhaps I will get to try that out today.

The turtle has a fun appearance, but it seems a bit impractical. There was no 1st person view zoom, so I could not examine anything while mounted. Also, when calling the mount, my character sat on the ground crosslegged for some time before the turtle appeared. 

I enjoyed falling long distances and using the jets like an astronaut.

• Like 1

I just played a little bit with the turtle:

Movement:

So far the movement doesn't feel right, it is drifting when going left or right, under water it is too slow and sinks to the bottom, nobody would use it there.

Hovering is … I must say ok, trying to turn left or right then is like real hovering (that means impossible). But for the short periods of hovering ok.

The speed booster from the back seat is nice and good.

Damage

From the front seat you have the 1-skill with about 11900 damage. Much for it, but ok. With 2 stomps the normal mobs in Orr are dead.

The burn damage (up to 5 stacks of burn) while hovering is a nice addition. 

From the back seat you can fire up to 5 … missiles? grenades? with a nice decent damage (also 2 shots for normal mobs in Orr). I would make the back greater that the front seat damage.

The big contra:

As solo player this mount will be the least used mount, it just makes no sense to use this as solo player. If you run around with a mate then it is ok.

• Like 1

I know you guys teased a secret mastery for the driver player that would make using the turtle alone feel better, but hear me out:

Seat Swap! 

When you're using the turtle without a second player, i wish you had the ability to swap into the back seat to use the cannons. This wish manifested when i was walking along the sea floor in istan and i kept having to dismount to fight off annoying sharks lmao.

I dont think letting a single-player turtle use the cannons is breaking the co-op idea of the mount, because a two-player turtle would still be the far superior way of using the mount. As a solo player, when you swap into the back seat you'd forsake the ability to move and slam, meaning you're extra vulnerable. It also means your ammo is limited to 5, so you can't just swap to the back seat and spam your cannons from a distance for forever, you have to swap back to the front seat to move and regen ammo. And lastly, there could be a decently meaty cooldown on the swap skill to prevent you from immediately swapping back once you have 5 ammo again.  

Right now, the turtle just feels kinda bad as single player, it feels restricted. I think that's why it wont see much use outside of a zerg setting. no-one's gonna mount up on a turtle and roam around doing nothing, while waiting for another player to party up and sit in the gunner seat. i also can't see people coordinating with randoms over chat like "hey wanna go turtle". Making the turtle more single-player viable is the best way to give players incentive to use it with multiple players. If i see tons of turtles running around, im gonna wanna join them! but if i see none, because noone's using them, there's nothing for me to join.

Edited by Lord Dumpling.7914
posted too early
  • Like 2

Since I care about the success of this mount please Anet allow solo players to access the cannons controls!
Maybe they just switch seat and they have to be stationary and then go back to driving to recharge the cannons but at least they have all the functions.
Also I really hope the turtle mount is really well integrated in EoD gameplay since at the moment other than a nice gimmicky mount I can't see it being too useful.

• Like 4

I've seen a lot of people complain about the driftiness of the turtle here, maybe it would be an option to give the turtle the same drifting mechanic/keybind as the rollerbeetle? so you can take sharp turns, but only with a lot of skill

I personally dont have an issue with the movement, but i have to admit it can be /very/ slidey.

An option for single players with the mount would be a single player mode and a multiplayer mode. The single player mode can do whatever the multiplayer mode can do but 1/2 or 1/4 the damage and once in single player mode it cant be put in multiplayer mode without summoning it again. Also not having skill 1 make it return is a bad idea as there are already problems with people on mounts killing groups of monsters that are needed for heart quests.

10 minutes ago, Silvercyclone.1462 said:

An option for single players with the mount would be a single player mode and a multiplayer mode. The single player mode can do whatever the multiplayer mode can do but 1/2 or 1/4 the damage and once in single player mode it cant be put in multiplayer mode without summoning it again. Also not having skill 1 make it return is a bad idea as there are already problems with people on mounts killing groups of monsters that are needed for heart quests.

Why not just have a swap seats option then? Make it immobile when you are in the gunner seat.

• Like 1

Spent a little bit of time with it, solo and duo, and have the following feedback:

1. Turning, speed and acceleration on land is ok once you get going, but the initial acceleration and turning speed needs to increase I think. It felt way too slow to turn after stopping and felt too slow to get moving again. I am ok with the awkward sliding turn when you pick up speed, as it really made it feel like you was controlling a heavy creature. But the initial speed is too sluggish.
  2. I am ok with the speed dropping underwater, but it feels way too slow currently. I think it should be increased slightly.
  3. The slam was often tricky to hit with, if you was not angled right. I think this attack should be a point blank AoE ability that hits all around you out to a certain radius, rather than a cone AoE (which doesn't make much sense to me for a slam attack).
  4. It would be good to have a second attack or ability for the pilot, as the slam gets boring very quickly. Maybe a bite attack or something that adds 1 ammo to the cannon?
  5. Jump jets need a bit more initial boost. While it conveyed the turtle was heavy, it also made it feel like the jets were too weak, which made it difficult to get over a lot of terrain that the jets really should have been able to help you get over. An increase in the initial jump would help here I think.

Overall the turtle felt fun, and will be fun to run around with a friend blasting and slamming enemies as we thunder around the place. However, I think it needs some tweaks to make it feel better, and to get going from standing a bit quicker. I cannot see it replacing other mounts when solo, unless more reasons to use it are added, but then I guess that is not the point of it.

Edited by Rin.1046
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 5:33 PM, Sentient Anomaly.9473 said:

Let us know what you think about the siege turtle! What do you really like? What needs to be improved or adjusted?

Siege Turtle Feedback/comments:

1. Please allow player to switch between driver seat & gunner siege (maybe F1, F2 buttons), a GUI of where the player is sitting would help as well for visual indicator, example:

2. Not sure if possible at this stage, add Uni-directional (front facing only) guns/cannons for driver (video above), similar to the guns from the in-game TT6-B Devourer from story mission Forging Steel

3. Add 'Siege Mode': maybe a mastery or special skill on utility bar during mount, where turtle becomes 'locked' in place (can't move), but cannons now have longer range like an artillery, to balance, it could have a slower firing rate, example:

4. Party/Squad usability: if a player is outside group and presses 'use key' (F) trying to enter gunner seat, a popup prompt can display to the owner/driver with options to 'allow' or 'deny' entering gunner seat

5. Group Dungeons/PvE/Strike Missions/Instances (5-10 players): since players are 'grouped' in the instance by default, any player can drive any gunner seat if turtle is allowed and/or summoned, or have 'cap limit' of 1 Turtle maximum per map (as a vehicle similar to a Siege Golem)

6. WvW (if turtles are later allowed after EOD launches):
- Spawn turtles as 'vehicles' (no owner) that are drivable at spawn at an interval in order to retake keep (can limit 1 per spawn or map instance), or:
- During a 1-week match, if 1 side is completely overwhelmed (keep constantly taken), Siege Turtle can be summoned from NPC Commander Siegerazer by players (similar to how the Luxon turtles worked in GW1 Fort Aspenwood), example below:

Edited by Woop S.7851

Like the overall look and design of the Turtle.  Came across a few things while playing around with it. Here are my thoughts an concerns. 
1) When Turtle dies from fall damage the pilot will survive but the passenger dies. Not sure if a bug or intentional. 
2) Control seems a lil clonky, but that may be due to lack of masteries or what not. The chunky boy likes to drift when turning. 
3)Would prefer different thrust animations for under water. Like bubble jets or something. 
4) The ability for Driver and gunner to swap seats without having to resummon the Turtle. 
WvW concerns for the Turtle, These are just my opinions so far on them. 
1) the health pool of the Turtle is way to high for WvW hands down. 
2) the cannons would need to lose the Burn tics or least lower it to that of the flame ram.
3) Would make the Cannon's use up Supply like the Warclaw's chain pull on gates. 
4) The height of the hover jets may need to be lowered to prevent abuse in certain maps. 
5) the travel speed is fine since it would be moveable siege, like the Charr car. 

• Like 1

The mount is good overall but the massive drawback is when I use the passenger seat.
I have motion sickness when I'm on passenger seat and it's kinda sad for me that I cannot enjoy this part of the mount 😞

The thing that the camera change might be the root cause.

I like the movement so far, but it feels just a hair too steery. I get that it's a huge animal and there needs to be a feeling of momentum, but it feels just slightly off. Maybe if it kicked up a little dust when you're "drifting" to convey the momentum a little bit better, since right now it feels more like sliding on ice than fighting inertia on regular land with normal traction.

• Like 1

Solo player here it is pretty sad to be restricted to only use the slam. IMO :

-If a player is riding a siege turtle alone, you should be able to take the gunner seat without having the person in your party. However there should be a priority for party member. For instance player A is currently riding the pet alone but is in a group with player B. Random player C arrives and sees player A alone so he decides to hop in and take the gunner seat. Player B arrives afterward but the gunner seat is already taken. Either player A ask player C if he can leave the spot for player B since they were originally in group and player C accept (best case scenario) or because player A is in group with player B, player B decides to mount so the game just kick player C from the seat and replace it with player B. 

-There should be an option to switch to the gunner seat and switch back to the pilot seat. Let solo player have the possibility to use both seat. However only the pet summoner can use the pilot seat.

-The slam is ok but it is weird that the AOE is a cone in front of the pet. It should be a circle around the pet, I mean it makes sense it's a ground slam. If the pet jumps in the middle of 5 target, it should hit all 5 of them, not just the one in front.

-It feels heavy and slow but I dont really mind that. 

19 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

Solo player here it is pretty sad to be restricted to only use the slam. IMO :

-If a player is riding a siege turtle alone, you should be able to take the gunner seat without having the person in your party. However there should be a priority for party member. For instance player A is currently riding the pet alone but is in a group with player B. Random player C arrives and sees player A alone so he decides to hop in and take the gunner seat. Player B arrives afterward but the gunner seat is already taken. Either player A ask player C if he can leave the spot for player B since they were originally in group and player C accept (best case scenario) or because player A is in group with player B, player B decides to mount so the game just kick player C from the seat and replace it with player B. 

That is a bad idea in general. It is never a good thing in any MMO where multi-person mounts are involved to take control away from the player on who can join or not on the mount. It should always be within the party for best control, and it should also not allow randoms to join it without permission. That is a recipe for disaster if it was allowed without consent first.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

It should always be within the party for best control, and it should also not allow randoms to join it without permission. That is a recipe for disaster if it was allowed without consent first.

The turtle is already restricted to party.  You can't just hop on someone's turtle because the seat is open.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Hide.6345 said:

That is a bad idea in general. It is never a good thing in any MMO where multi-person mounts are involved to take control away from the player on who can join or not on the mount. It should always be within the party for best control, and it should also not allow randoms to join it without permission. That is a recipe for disaster if it was allowed without consent first.

You didnt read everything I posted.

If you're driving alone you're not going to use the canons anyway so if someone else joins you then who cares if it takes the seat ? You aint gonna use it anyway. 

If you're in a group and a random takes the seat first, then your group mate can just kick him out of the seat.

If Anet allows you to use the gunner seat in solo then as a pet master you can just kick him out of that seat.

I fail to see where it is going to be a disaster. 

Just now, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

You didnt read everything I posted.

If you're driving alone you're not going to use the canons anyway so if someone else joins you then who cares if it takes the seat ? You aint gonna use it anyway. 

If you're in a group and a random takes the seat first, then your group mate can just kick him out of the seat.

If Anet allows you to use the gunner seat in solo then as a pet master you can just kick him out of that seat.

I fail to see where it is going to be a disaster. 

I did read everything. It doesn't matter if you can kick or not. You are still taking away player control. Now, if it was opt in thing you can turn on to allow randoms to join, then sure that would work. But it has to be that since I would not want in to be not optional because I don't want randoms to just hop in willy-nilly. 

Now for the option to kick people in group as well I would be for as well to give people more control over the situation without breaking or leaving the party.  It would a be disaster mainly due to the fact trolls could abuse it even if you could kick because they would jump in and you kick. They jump in again etc. It is very exploitable. So opt in if you really do want randos is the best option with your suggestion.