Siege Turtle Feedback Thread [Merged]

Hi,

I like the idea of turtle mount with the new expansion coming up as that fits what is there.  Agree with other replies that turtle should be slower on land and faster and swim in water.  Don't think there should be a jump with the turtle but a siege weapon on the turtle for the range like having siege turtle in GW1 I like.  Maybe instead of fast walking and a splash for damage, keep a little range and have a defensive bonus for being on mount (and maybe have the turtle have an ability for greater defensive bonus when stopped and "in shell" mode but can't use offense).

Didn't get to play a whole lot with turtle though.

I like the turtle, but I think there are some things that can still be improved.

Movement: I get that the turtle is supposed to feel heavy and thus can't do tight turns. However I feel the turtle is sliding too much at low speeds, which makes the turtle feel less heavy and more slippery. Have you ever seen an elephant slide? Another thing that could make the turtle feel more heavy is tilting it a little bit when turning. Normally animals would lean into a curve, however the turtle has its legs so far apart, that I feel it would turn more like a truck, leaning to the outside.

Combat: Please make switching seats possible. This would not only allow people to switch roles on the fly, it would also allow solo players to operate the cannons while stationary. Riding the turtle with two people would still be beneficial because it allows to move, shoot and collect ammunition at the same time.

• Like 5

I'd like to add my own +1 to requests for some way for a solo driver to use a weaker or disadvantaged form of the cannons. The seat switch idea (at least at the most superficial level) seems the most straightforward; if a solo driver wants to pewpew, they have to give up movement, the stomp, and the ammo regen to do that. I feel like that is a logical tradeoff, and would be inferior enough to having an actual gunner that there's still incentive to follow the original co-op design.

Another simple solution would be to add a much weaker, smaller gun for the driver. It could have decent range (900-1000, maybe) and modest splash damage, but it should probably require a target to fire.

On 12/8/2021 at 11:04 PM, BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

However I feel the turtle is sliding too much at low speeds, which makes the turtle feel less heavy and more slippery. Have you ever seen an elephant slide?

I've seen a crocodile slide. An elephant's legs aren't positioned sideways last I checked, nor do they rest on their chest. Maybe an elephant isn't a good comparison?

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

...nor group content, for that matter, since this will absolutely ruin the immersion, with dozens of turtles blocking your view during each and every single mass meta in this game.

I didn’t do any world bosses during the beta. Were they overrun with turtles? 

Do you find world bosses to be the immersive part of the game?

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

...nor group content, for that matter, since this will absolutely ruin the immersion, with dozens of turtles blocking your view during each and every single mass meta in this game.

...but the mounts we currently have aren't capable of obscuring your view already, right? And you're totally not bent on creating problems where there's none, great reasonable feedback 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

...but the mounts we currently have aren't capable of obscuring your view already, right?

Sure, because everyone stays in the air on the back of the skyscale during battle? :classic_huh:

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And you're totally not bent on creating problems where there's none, great reasonable feedback 😉 

Ditto. Very reasonable to deny the problem that we will get to see all across Tyria, during (as stated before) mass events such as map metas, once the mount becomes available. Ignorance is bliss, I guess? :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Sure, because everyone stays in the air on the back of the skyscale during battle? :classic_huh:

If turtles will be worth using for dps during events in the first place, you'll be using it too and nothing will be "obscuring" your vision any more than it currently is, since everyone/most people will be playing in a similar form anyways? :classic_huh:  Mind that "worth using for dps" means dealing dmg worth of 2 players.

Ditto. Very reasonable to deny the problem that we will get to see all across Tyria, during (as stated before) mass events such as map metas, once the mount becomes available. Ignorance is bliss, I guess? :classic_wink:

Problem? What you're consistently making up here is far from being a realistic "problem" and that's the point. Did you play during the turtle beta and had any issues there? Or... you chose to be ignorant about it just so you can make up unsubstantiated complaints on the forum later on? 😉 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Sure, because everyone stays in the air on the back of the skyscale during battle?

This is actually a pretty solid point; right now mounts in open world are only an issue out of combat (Which is an issue that has plenty of feedback threads as a result), whereas Turtles are a 'fight while mounted' sort of deal. In either case, the issue of 'there are too many mounts and effects clogging up my screen that I can't shut off' has been raised many, many times and so it's worth bearing in mind when adding a new and quite large mount to the game.

One encouraging thing I noticed during the beta is that when getting close to another player's turtle, their mount will become transparent. I don't know if this will help with the possible problem of 30 turtles obscuring objectives during a fight, but in fairness we also don't know if the turt will be worthwhile in open world activities outside of EoD. If the turtle is too good in a fight, you might very well see crowds of them blocking visuals (the transparency doesn't kick in until you're right on top of another player) - if the turtle isn't optimal, people will dismount to engage which would eliminate the problem (and also complain that the turtle needs to be buffed).

So, good to keep in mind, but we'll need to see it in action before we find out if it's going to be a problem or not.

• Like 1