Feature request - what to junk

There are many things you acquire in your journey, like history books, journals, gizmos and trinkets which have no sale value, can not be broken down, and many do not appear to be linked to additional achievements. It would be nice if their in game descriptions had some why to tell if they can safely be discarded. A very small number of these items already state in the in game description that they can be discarded. 

Note, relying on the wiki is not a solution as not only is that not in game, but a fairly large number of these items have no indication in the wiki if you can discard them or not.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, DemonAtTheWheel.1804 said:

There are many things you acquire in your journey, like history books, journals, gizmos and trinkets which have no sale value, can not be broken down, and many do not appear to be linked to additional achievements. It would be nice if their in game descriptions had some why to tell if they can safely be discarded. A very small number of these items already state in the in game description that they can be discarded. 

Note, relying on the wiki is not a solution as not only is that not in game, but a fairly large number of these items have no indication in the wiki if you can discard them or not.

Don't know how a completly new or you are a returning player, but as long I have been playing before there where any expansion to talk about GW2 wiki have been a very good source to decide what to keep, salvage, sell or if it had any value as for achievement or anything else. If you use Right Click on an item you will often see if it is only part of an collection (for achievement), so there is not really a need for more ingame information.  In most cases if something have a special use and/or are worth much you will have to exactly use its name to confirm that you want to delete it. That should be enough to check up if you really should keep it and for what use it is meant before confirming deletion.

Can you not list an item at Black Lion Trade Post nor use "sell" at any NPC vendor, then it is likely nothing that will need to keep (outside of your own use). Books (as part of story or achievement) are often possible to buy at NPC Merchant if you happens to delete them by accident for a low cost or you can just re-run story on another character. 

If you look for API (every item have one) you will know that this game have been build around Item ID (which you can use in chat with SHIFT+left click) and API to link item to other sources like gw2effiency. I would recommend to bookmark (in your web browser) some sites for what items that can be sold or use GW2Efficiency as that site also provide GW2 wiki links to check about how that item can be used for crafting etc.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, though you completely disregarded my intention. I have been playing for nearly 7 years almost daily. I use the wiki and gw2effiency regularly.

What I am specifically asking for is in game notations of things that are safe to discard. I even stated above that relying on external 3rd party sites is not a viable or reliable solution.

There are several items which have this noted as part of their in game descriptions, for example the Fragment of Prismatic Light, while other items which likely have no value after the achievement is complete like Drizzlewood Coast History Book has zero indication in game or in the wiki.

Well, the book, like most books, state 'Double-click to read'.  If the book has no value (to you, in-game) to read, it is safe to delete. If it has value to read, in-game, it is not safe to delete.  If it has value to read, but you can see that you can read it in the Wiki (like all books with text), it is safe to delete. 

I think the Wiki does a pretty darn good job with items in the game.  I also think the Devs are unlikely to go back through the game and add 'Safe/Unsafe to Delete' to every item since launch.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DemonAtTheWheel.1804 said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply, though you completely disregarded my intention. I have been playing for nearly 7 years almost daily. I use the wiki and gw2effiency regularly.

What I am specifically asking for is in game notations of things that are safe to discard. I even stated above that relying on external 3rd party sites is not a viable or reliable solution.

There are several items which have this noted as part of their in game descriptions, for example the Fragment of Prismatic Light, while other items which likely have no value after the achievement is complete like Drizzlewood Coast History Book has zero indication in game or in the wiki.

What where your intention here then?

You are suggeting that someone or a team at ANet will go through each item that you have mentioned and add a notification in tooltip if that item can be used somehow or safely thrown in the bin.

It is a lot of work you are asking and ANet have clearly made it clear that they support GW2 wiki as a source for this game with their GW2 Wiki Gold Project and Devs working on API for this game. Adding that feature you suggest for every item would most likely mean that some one have to both check future plans for usage of items, make sure that it is clear how that information can be understood in small space of tooltip for most players in game to avoid confusion and keep updating this if there are changes or error in tooltip.

As you have played this game for 7 years now then you should also know by this time there have been and still are some errors in tooltips, that never been fixed, so it is very unlikely something that ANet want to put more ressources on.

What I listed and explained above in my first response where that there are at least someway to know if an item can be used for something or sold, before deleting it.

CS have also been pretty responsive to replace items that have been deleted or sold by mistake as long it isn't too long time since that happened. At NPC vendors you have buy back options (as long you don't change instance or map), at BLTP you remove it from listed price as long it haven't been sold and so on. If you happens to delete something by mistake and then regret it, then at least you can ask CS to return it into Inventory/send it by ingame mail. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Well, the book, like most books, state 'Double-click to read'.  If the book has no value (to you, in-game) to read, it is safe to delete. If it has value to read, in-game, it is not safe to delete.  If it has value to read, but you can see that you can read it in the Wiki (like all books with text), it is safe to delete. 

I think the Wiki does a pretty darn good job with items in the game.  I also think the Devs are unlikely to go back through the game and add 'Safe/Unsafe to Delete' to every item since launch.  🤷‍♂️

Yes, the wiki does a good job, though massively incomplete. There are many items which are seemingly safe to delete which have no notation in the wiki one way or the other. Essentially meaning "best guess" is applied rather than definitive information.

Since each item has an item ID which is viewable via API, that would mean they are all stored in a database of some form. This means a relatively simple query could add a flag or icon to the in game descriptions indicating what is safe to discard. It would be very minimal work for a rather large quality of life improvement, especially for new players.

• Confused 1