New Asian faces

4 hours ago, Biermeister.4678 said:

Put curlers in their head and a smoke in their mouth and you would have one that looks like Yuen Qiu's character from Kung Fu Hustle 

Sounds like you’ve got a challenge for the lookalike thread.

Now what armor most looks like a baggy nightgown?

Edited by Gibson.4036

1 hour ago, Harak.8397 said:

I expected them to look like Asian people... and they do. I do get the argument that they could have spruced them up with a little more "fantasy flair" but at least they still look like living people.... the Charr on the other hand look like Shishi... which are STONE STATUES. ( I swear, they have run out of ideas with that race )

Now those "Asian" Asura ladies however... 💗

As an Asian i can tell you that. those face are less then10% of Asian people look a like. we dont look like that. and those face are extremely ugly. its like 2~3 out of 10. 

Edited by JUN YANG.4328
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

I don't think anybody would have a problem if one or two of the faces were as they are now. But there's no variety. Every face has the same unattractive scowling built into it. As I said in my last post here, the male faces have a lot of variety (I was almost able to recreate my GW1 Assassin...well, without the blind eye and giant scar running down his face, that is 😂) - why can't the ladies have the same?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, JUN YANG.4328 said:

As an Asian i can tell you that. those face are less 10% of Asian people look a like. we dont look like that. and those face are extremely ugly. its like 2~3 out of 10. 

I've grown up with Asians all over the place in school and now at work. YMMV obviously. It's quite possible Anet has people of Asian origins working for them who would know what's what. Hey that's an idea, do they still have a studio in China? Have those guys come up with Asian faces and see how the populace like them ? 😉

As a side note: Almost none of the "white people" faces look like real people either.

Edited by Harak.8397
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harak.8397 said:

I've grown up with Asians all over the place in school and now at work. YMMV obviously. It's quite possible Anet has people of Asian origins working for them who would know what's what. Hey that's an idea, do they still have a studio in China? Have those guys come up with Asian faces and see how the populace like them ? 😉

One thing i dont understand. Is their boss (NCsoft) no problem with that? btw Idt they still have studio in China. (not sure)..

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, JUN YANG.4328 said:

One thing i dont understand. Is their boss (NCsoft) no problem with that? btw Idt they still have studio in China. (not sure)..

My (limited) understanding is that they MUST have one if they are going to sell their game in the country.

14 minutes ago, Harak.8397 said:

My (limited) understanding is that they MUST have one if they are going to sell their game in the country.

Are they? as i knew they cant get into Chinese market. they tried when GW2 initial launch (like 6~7 years ago) but they failed. also they had bad experience on GW1 as well.  and trust me the Chinese wont like anet's EOD made up language. they used part or the Chinese charater to recreated.  and is  so similar and so confuse.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Belisaria.8136 said:

white american male gamers angry that they have to actually look at real humans rather than anime waifu faces. 😭

I'm sick of this "Haha you like to play pretty characters in games, TOO BAD!" western mindset. Meanwhile if I watch an american tv show every man AND woman are 10/10 models, but video games? nah, gotta be ugly!

Sick of this.

Edited by Shiyo.3578
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

27 minutes ago, JUN YANG.4328 said:

Are they? as i knew they cant get into Chinese market. they tried when GW2 initial launch (like 6~7 years ago) but they failed. also they had bad experience on GW1 as well.  and trust me the Chinese wont like anet's EOD made up language. they used part or the Chinese charater to recreated.  and is  so similar and so confuse.  

I'll take your word for it, as I may have said, I'm not very well informed on the issue. I know they HAD a studio when they launched in China back in the day but it may well have gone belly up and the game with it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

I'm sick of this "Haha you like to play pretty characters in games, TOO BAD!" western mindset. Meanwhile if I watch an american tv show every man AND woman are 10/10 models, but video games? nah, gotta be ugly!

Sick of this.

The game is make for and make by westerner. they dont really care about how Asian feel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Sick of this.

I don't care at all if people want to have beautiful characters. But this thread is swarming with bad faith faux outrage about 'realism' and 'racism' when this is all about men wanting to ogle their characters and nothing more. At least be honest about what you want rather than hiding behind all this nonsense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 9

1 minute ago, Belisaria.8136 said:

I don't care at all if people want to have beautiful characters. But this thread is swarming with bad faith faux outrage about 'realism' and 'racism' when this is all about men wanting to ogle their characters and nothing more. At least be honest about what you want rather than hiding behind all this nonsense.

Wait, I'm a man?

Holy cow! When did that happen!? I'm fairly certain that thirty seconds ago before I read your comment, I was a woman who wanted to create lovely female characters and was annoyed at the lack of variety...but now I'm a man who wants to ogle pixels?

Don't look now, but your bias is showing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Shiyo.3578 said:

Sick of this.

I understand your frustration, however GW2 is a western game - this is what you sign up for when you log in. Asian games are totally unapologetic when it comes to following global trends or even technology advancements in gaming. Why western games need to compromise only? There are of course exceptions on both sides. And so are racist elements - just saying.

The main point is true though - the graphic design for EoD is just not as good as for previous releases. Pretty much like anything else so far.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Belisaria.8136 said:

You might be unware, but women like to have pretty looking characters and dress them up. Barbies are a thing for a reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Harak.8397 said:

I expected them to look like Asian people... and they do. I do get the argument that they could have spruced them up with a little more "fantasy flair" but at least they still look like living people.... the Charr on the other hand look like Shishi... which are STONE STATUES. ( I swear, they have run out of ideas with that race )

Now those "Asian" Asura ladies however... 💗

Regardless of ugly or pretty faces all races have them, but the question is why create ugly ones for a fantasy game where fashion war is the end game? No? Look at all those infusions and legendary trinkets with fanciful effects, they are for the super super rich and for players who want to show that they have reached the end game status and have nothing to do but grind and farm all day now.

Is ANet just stereotyping asian? I remember seeing cartoons that portrait asians with single line eyes and exaggerating buck teeth. And, over the years I believed because of the constant outcry of racism, we don't see those now.

Some one need to introduce the design team to some really pretty modern day asian beauties, like you know who 😏😄 

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

11 minutes ago, Mil.3562 said:

Regardless of ugly or pretty faces all races have them, but the question is why create ugly ones for a fantasy game where fashion war is the end game? No? Look at all those infusions and legendary trinkets with fanciful effects, they are for the super super rich and for players who wants to show that they have reached the end game status and have nothing to do but grind and farm all day now.

ANet is just stereotyping asian. When i was younger, I remember seeing cartoons that portraited  asians with single line eyes and exaggerating buck teeth. And, over the years I believed because of the constant outcry of racism, we don't often see those now.

Some one need to introduce the design team to some really pretty modern day asian beauties, like you know who 😏😄 

They dont need people to introduce to their design team. their boss is Korean.  unless they dont communicate at all. or they do it on purpose. 

Edited by JUN YANG.4328
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Doctor Minovsky.2958 said:

Yes, perhaps some Anet customers prefer epicanthoplasty or blepharoplasty operations on women. Not my jam personally but I’m not here to condemn anyone’s subjective esthetic preferences. 

7 hours ago, Rukasu.3097 said:

Those are Asian women before plastic surgery. 

So they are correct and realistic. I have no problem with them. 

PS. You are all anime addicts lol. 

I'm not that pressed about the faces themselves, they (at least the human ones) represent a pretty narrow range of what (East) Asian faces can look like, but it's fine, I'm just not going to use them.

However, comments like the above, implying that any Asian face that *doesn't* look like the offered choices is a result of plastic surgery - that's way more frustrating to me than the faces themselves.

(For the record: I'm Asian (Chinese), and I know my very numerous family and friends well enough to know kitten well they haven't had plastic surgery.)

18 minutes ago, Mil.3562 said:

Regardless of ugly or pretty faces all races have them, but the question is why create ugly ones for a fantasy game where fashion war is the end game? No? Look at all those infusions and legendary trinkets with fanciful effects, they are for the super super rich and for players who want to show that they have reached the end game status and have nothing to do but grind and farm all day now.

Is ANet just stereotyping asian? I remember seeing cartoons that portrait asians with single line eyes and exaggerating buck teeth. And, over the years I believed because of the constant outcry of racism, we don't see those now.

You'll get no argument from me. Still beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder.  I know for a fact that some people find the Charr faces I dislike "Wicked cool, man!"  (*ahem* May have gotten away with the impersonation bit there) whereas the only redeeming value I find in them is that they can be hidden under a helmet and have no part of them poking through.  Over all I'm a fan of "leave them in but add more that are different and that goes for all races.

Awesome, telling Asian people how they should be represented.  Don't complain it's fantasy.  No you're lying you're not Asian but a white male weeb.  No you people don't look like that you look like this.  Lastly, why are you complaining, what's with all this talk about racism I just want to play my game.  Then don't even enter this thread just ignore it and go about your day.

Edited by Mushin.6789
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I remember a long thread way back at the beginning of the game with people complaining there weren’t enough ugly faces, and that they felt shoehorned into pretty characters. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Played around with the new faces and hairstyles tonight and came up with several attractive looks. 

Yeah, there’s not a lot of variety, but that’s been true from day one. And now there’s at least more variety across all faces than there was back then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I remember a long thread way back at the beginning of the game with people complaining there weren’t enough ugly faces, and that they felt shoehorned into pretty characters. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Played around with the new faces and hairstyles tonight and came up with several attractive looks. 

Yeah, there’s not a lot of variety, but that’s been true from day one. And now there’s at least more variety across all faces than there was back then.

This is the thing that gets me the most. I messed around with the faces quite a bit, and it's very easy to create a conventionally attractive face with the bases we were given (except that some of the sliders seem to be busted at the moment but this was released with a host of bugs). I said it before but I want to know what kind of women the people complaining about the human faces are looking at that if they think they are ugly. There's only two that I would not consider conventionally attractive.

Honestly this whole thread is kind of upsetting lol.

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3