Can someone explain to me why one of the new human female hairstyles is a historical hairstyle for MEN?

moxxi.1902

4 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

EDIT: With the added info that this hairstyle is actually available for both genders, I personally don’t think this is an issue, any more. Giving the hairstyle to the wrong gender may be considered insensitive to a culture, but giving it to both genders for gameplay reasons seems fine in a game that isn’t about historical accuracy.

props to you for not taking a polarized, dogmatic stance. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

I am, however, curious about how "historical accuracy" applies to a fictional world?

I think that the more important part is, how it "applies" to the people playing the game and their knowledge (or lack thereof) of the origin of the hair style.

Non-fictional topics will always find their ways into fictional settings, like Jormag being treated as "they" due to the modern (most prominently in the U.S.A.) gender "diversity" debate, rather than being an it or having a specific gender (like all other dragons so far). It's an topic from reality, not Tyria, just like the topic about this hair style.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I think that the more important part is, how it "applies" to the people playing the game and their knowledge (or lack thereof) of the origin of the hair style.

Non-fictional topics will always find their ways into fictional settings, like Jormag being treated as "they" due to the modern (most prominently in the U.S.A.) gender "diversity" debate, rather than being an it or having a specific gender (like all other dragons so far). It's an topic from reality, not Tyria, just like the topic about this hair style.

So it doesn't apply.  In order for it to be "historically accurate", it would have to apply in Cantha.  So can you show me that, instead of this?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, moxxi.1902 said:

The only situation a woman would wear a topknot with manggeon would be if she was dressing up as a man.

It's entirely possible that there will be exactly a case like that. We do know there will be some transgender characters in EoD. So, it's not impossible one of them will have that exact hairstyle, and they decided to just make it available for players too.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It took all of a single minute to literally see this as available for both male and female characters. 

It took all of this thread for OP to complain about it being female only and literally being proven absolutely wrong...

It took me this third line to say most of us Asian people are pretty open about our culture, so long as people aren't using it in an offensive light, which this isn't....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Hoover.6394 said:

Looks like This expansions hair style is heavily referencing Korean culture, while most the building structures are more based on Chinese and Japanese culture.

Yeah the mix of cultures is why it was originally banned by NCsoft but I assume/hope humans are less racist nowadays.

Especially as someone whos family is a heavy mix of different cultures and races.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Gender Identity Politics vs. Cultural Representation politics.  To quote Jordan Peterson: "I would rather have my corporations greedy than virtuous. It's more trustworthy."  IMO this isn't a big deal: we're not amorphous and a-temporal blobs of physical features.  While it is interesting that the hairstyle has a traditionally male heritage, that means very little with whether women can wear it or not in modern times.  

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

It is called "wangjin" or "网巾"。  originally wear by Taoist of both genders.  During Ming dynasty it became a fashion for man.  Which then spread through asia(including Korea).  Do Korea women wear them?  I do not know.   But it was never intend to be a male only cloth, but for anyone who wear hat. 

Just saying.. it is consider very rude if you wear them without a hat.

P.s. the traditional wangjin has a string that ties to the knots on top.   we dont see here, which make it a "懒收网"。 Only front area being transparent, this is a popular style in korean.   Overall this is really a hybrid.  You are safe to wear them 😃

P.s.2 that hair style also originate from China.  For both genders...so dont worry about disrespect Chinese culture XD

Edited by decease.3215
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

For what its worth, everything added to this game only has to pass Chinese standards, not the standards of other Asian cultures. If the game had a Korean or Japanese version it might be different, but for now as far as doing business goes all the devs really have to care about is whether it passes for acceptible in China.

This is likely why it took us so long to get Cantha. The entire original Canthan District of Divinity's Reach was completely destroyed because it was too much of a cultural appropriation, as was GW1 Cantha in general.

This time around they likely have alot higher standards to meet and are probably doing their best at it, so I'd cut them some slack and be grateful we're getting Cantha at all since investors are likely watching everything with the eyes of a hawk. There's alot of negativity directed at this expansion already.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

If u watch a lot of Asian Wuxia shows u often see some female character cross dress as men which enable them for a lot of social activities since a lot of those are allowed for men only, so I don’t really mind seeing that hair style available for female, I do want to see more styles available though… 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

For what its worth, everything added to this game only has to pass Chinese standards, not the standards of other Asian cultures. If the game had a Korean or Japanese version it might be different, but for now as far as doing business goes all the devs really have to care about is whether it passes for acceptible in China.

This is likely why it took us so long to get Cantha. The entire original Canthan District of Divinity's Reach was completely destroyed because it was too much of a cultural appropriation, as was GW1 Cantha in general.

This time around they likely have alot higher standards to meet and are probably doing their best at it, so I'd cut them some slack and be grateful we're getting Cantha at all since investors are likely watching everything with the eyes of a hawk. There's alot of negativity directed at this expansion already.

Other then blood, violence.. And openly hangs flag of a terrorist group.  Am unaware of any culture appropriation.

Say about this district been destroyed.. You got any proof?  There are 56 official race amongst China.  Each with their own culture..   

Edit. Almost forget China also have issue with addictive substance..including smoking.  And pronageph..which extend to revealing cloth..eg. Bad for child

Edited by decease.3215

10 hours ago, Stelawrat.6589 said:

I'd like to think this as well except that, according to the OP, "It is the sangtu hairstyle - the headband is identical and even has the buttons on right spots by the ears. It's accurate."

I imagine that the artist did do some research, adopted the exact appearance of this male hairstyle & by mistake, attributed it to females. 

I know that it's just a game, but if I had an Asian background, specifically if I was Korean, while I probably wouldn't be offended, I would still wonder wth? If I was a Korean man, then it would definitely irk me, given that the style isn't also available for use with male characters.

Yeah, it's hard to say since everybody is different. I'm a Korean male, but I'm personally not offended by this. That doesn't mean other Koreans who may be offended by this are wrong, though. Everybody has a right to their own opinion as long as people keep things civil.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I miss the giant hole. It was so intriguing.