Fighting as catalyst

I’m no combat expert by any means. I have a tempest main, so I’m trying to get the hang of catalyst. Anyone have tips? Underwater is going well, but fighting things that move rapidly, like even regular ice worms, is really hard. I’m used to ranged combat, and I haven’t figured out how to run back and forth that quickly or how to use the orb skill so that it stays put over the ice worm. 

thanks 

Edited by WaveIn.4091

Have you ever tried full celestial dagger warhorn tempest? It's basically auramancer with high mobility thanks to fire 2 and earth 2.you can spec it for either more damage or more tanky. You will survive much more either way without sacrificing too much damage. 

The damage is split between strike damage and condi. You won't see big numbers like on other classes but many small dots that summed up makes a good damage for generic pve. And you won't be squishy. 

You panic button would be either mistform at the beginning as you learn to use it or just switch earth. Cause if u take Earth trait like there the last bottom major trait in earth that prevent you from receiving any critical damage. You will also be pretty much immune to condition in both versions of the build as auras can remove conditions in both fire and water. 

Experiment with it and tailor it to your playstyle ☺️

Variants or this build works amazingly in PvP and wvw roaming as well! 

Edited by Aedil.1296
  • Thanks 1

That sounds like it would be worth a try! Currently I have air/water tempest with scepter/warhorn/staff. It’s a lot more effective than I used to be, but I’m squishy and can’t solo stories. I’ll give it a try! Thanks for explaining that clearly!

My current strategy is to use overload lightning unless I need a more rapid response and then I rotate fire and lightning and rarely earth. Overloading fire also works well. When I’m dying I switch to water. Casting water spells rapidly heals me and so does overloading water. I also use mist form. I’ve recently discovered the tornado ten skill can be a lot more effective than rebound, for me at least. Probably I’m using rebound wrong. 

Edited by WaveIn.4091
More info also correction

14 hours ago, Aedil.1296 said:

Have you ever tried full celestial dagger warhorn tempest? It's basically auramancer with high mobility thanks to fire 2 and earth 2.you can spec it for either more damage or more tanky. You will survive much more either way without sacrificing too much damage. 

The damage is split between strike damage and condi. You won't see big numbers like on other classes but many small dots that summed up makes a good damage for generic pve. And you won't be squishy. 

You panic button would be either mistform at the beginning as you learn to use it or just switch earth. Cause if u take Earth trait like there the last bottom major trait in earth that prevent you from receiving any critical damage. You will also be pretty much immune to condition in both versions of the build as auras can remove conditions in both fire and water. 

Experiment with it and tailor it to your playstyle ☺️

Variants or this build works amazingly in PvP and wvw roaming as well! 

So, you are saying to fight like a catalyst,

On 12/1/2021 at 4:48 AM, WaveIn.4091 said:

I’m no combat expert by any means. I have a tempest main, so I’m trying to get the hang of catalyst. Anyone have tips?

thanks 

you need to play dagger warhorn tempest?

• Thanks 1