Please get rid of Ambush skills, please do something else for the Unleashed mechanic, and please focus on making Hammer the best it can be.

While we all definitely appreciate the effort to deliver (especially on short notice) something extra to other weapons while being unleashed, I feel the concept is not great in practice. I would like to suggest removing these Ambush skills and make being in or out of Unleashed mode offer something passive to the character instead. Random examples...

Player "Unleased" Mode Benefits...

- +10% outgoing damage. Stacks with other sources. 

Player NOT in "Unleased" Mode Benefits...

- 10% incoming damage reduction. Stacks with other sources. 

Whatever, it doesn't matter. The most important thing is to get the MAIN things right. Those things are making sure that hammer will be a great and versatile weapon to use. That the slot skills are top notch. That the traits can weave in well with the build and make it better. Honestly, please drop these Ambush skills so they don't take time and effort away from the things this spec needs. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Swagger.1459
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I would have preferred that instead of ambush skills, skill 5 for all weapons would just permanently changed while the character is unleashed. Because unlike the Mirage, you can't easily/actively unlock these ambush skills. Specially since the cool down for the ambush skills and the actually unleash activations are different.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Having to change the Unleashed buffs target is a bit annoying, like if you want to keep the Unleashed on yourself and still use the Amush attack you have to switch twice to get it,

It should passively change to the Ambush attack every few seconds passively, maybe it take a longer time to recharge than by changing Unleashed and not unlock while out of Combat (Though it would make sense to have it at the start of a fight, with it being named Ambush)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

I say make Ambush skills the Opening Strike Mechanic for each weapon, they are permanently available while Opening Strike is available. Then you can just refresh Opening strike with the Untamed trait. Brings a ton more synergy to the spec.

With 2 easy ways to refresh it ambush skills would get nerfed to the ground.

• Confused 4

I see a lot of requests to have ambush skills be passively activated, and I really disagree. I like the ability to control when I want to use the skills, much like the ability to control what my pet does. Easy example is on the axe skill, which is a melee ranged skill on a ranged wep set. It takes some time to adjust to what is in your toolkit, but I really like the active thought required. 

• Confused 1

The ambush skills needs to linger longer when you initially Unleash. 

Hammer needs to be more impactful. The current state of hammer is difficult to land compared to Warrior hammer. Core Warrior hammer burst skill is a better "Thumper" than this spec plus it has better survivability.  Make the CC part of the hammer ALL CC skills. 

The traits need to be adjusted more or reworked to really improve the survivability of the Untamed. The grandmaster traits are terrible. Ferocious Symbiosis needs something else besides the lame 25% max speed and damage bonus. Make it 33% faster and add an attack speed increase. 

Overall, this spec is still very subpar compared to the rest of the e-spec. Either throw it in the trash and completely rework it or adjust EVERYTHING else. 

• Like 2

Ambush mechanic is good. I feel there is some new in untamed. Unleashed, celestial avatar, merge feel the same. If they lowering the cd it will be the untamed primary mechanic. Need some serious bug fix and polishing.

For hammer, I think it will be best if they drop the 2 form skills. I used Wild Swing and Savage Shock Wave only in unleashed, Overbearing Smash only for cc, Thump for if cc would necessary but most case used in unleashed. 
Enhancing Impact is only usable with not unleashed. 
No pet skill! 
I would like it this way:
Skills:
#2 Unleashed Wild Swing
#3 Overbearing Smash with the unleashed version damage, and the pet next attack removes 2 boon
#4 Unleashed Savage Shock Wave
#5 Thump with the unleashed version damage.

• Like 2

I really like the unleashed abilities, probably the only one I don't like is the Shortbow skill, I hate the idea that it stops you attacking  and then you have to readjust your aim wasting time which is precious in the 2 second time limit of the untamed ambush mechanic making it feel extremely clunky at times. I hope they make it so it automatically just fires out with no ground targeting at your enemy. Or like you shoot a bundle of spores at the enemy, it sticks, then exploding poisoning nearby enemies. 

• Like 6

Hammer gets all unleashed skills but #1. Other weapons get unleashed #1. It's... strange. 

I just don't understand how "copy current skill, but add a condition/boon/damage bump" is too much effort for every skill of every core weapon. 

Here, a couple examples:
Unleashed Swoop: Also deals damage to enemies in the path. Grants Fury if it hits.
Unleashed Rapid Fire: The final hit grants 3s Quickness.
Unleashed Hornet Sting: Inflicts 2s Slow.
Unleashed Whirling Defense: Allows movement.

None of these are hard to implement. No new functionality is created.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, The Boz.2038 said:

Hammer gets all unleashed skills but #1. Other weapons get unleashed #1. It's... strange. 

I just don't understand how "copy current skill, but add a condition/boon/damage bump" is too much effort for every skill of every core weapon. 

Anet opened the cans of worms then they decided to implement the dual hammer and then ambush skills. Although i understand the aggresive aspect they want to implement in the untamed, maybe this wasn't the way. I don't tyhink ambushes do what they are supposed to do althought the idea is cool and fun to watch is not very interactive. 

I still think instead so much investement with very situational attacks which are providing nohing to increase the depth of  the class Anet devs could have gone for something that is already there: trigguer a One_Wolf_Pack_(effect) when disabling a foe while the untamed has the goo. Maybe this one  is not unblockable and it has a bigger delay like 1s but has no iCD to it can hit multiple targets in cleave attacks, as that makes this attacks to have a different flow than the original stance effect. This could go for the pet too when the pet has the goo. 

It is simple, it is different from what is already there and deppending how the numbers are implemented it can even switch how the hammer works with the goo on and off. 

For example while without goo Wild_Swing would be the hard hitting skill while having the goo it would be this one Overbearing_Smash . Which means the dynamics and rotation changes without the dual aspects. This could be expanded to traits or other skills to in some cases the Untamed can apply more daze or extend the duration of those or to do more damage in those unatural strikes (or however anet decided to call them) .

This would also fix the total lack of damage in WvW/PvP where CCs do 0 damage.

Even additional traits could work on that addtional strike causing addtional effects like applying a short slow or alike. Something like: Disabling a foe grant you stability. Unnatural strikes grants you addtionaly quickness. (Modified Enhancing_Impact ) .

This simple change makes the untamed to be able to play more aggresively as the traits entice the player to go full in by providing a short stability and a short quickness shortly after.  I don't know what else i can say to defend this design. I mean it would not be perfect but i think it would be just better. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Like 1