the spanish inquisition

MarkoGold.7126

54 minutes ago, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

by that logic u have to learn german, french, spanish/portugese/brazil variants, because they all fail to use english way too often.

esp for germans i can only wonder, bc our people learn pretty solid quality english in school, normally. probably same with the other countries, though i can only speak for germans there 😛

I speak French, German, Swiss German, English, Dutch and a little bit Italian. 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, rune.9572 said:

as a roamer, will I have to learn German to play WvW now?

You can always ask the roamers that already spent months and months with half their world being germans.

If you dont already know the answer to that, you've never been on such links.

The only way this would ever change is if alliances bring a whole new higher class of roamer quality with well educated eager people that see the advantage and experience in learning a new language in their life.

I think we both know the answer to that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

ngl joining and seeing half the chat in German was hilarious.

@ArenaNet Team.4819 as a roamer, will I have to learn German to play WvW now?

You should know that German is the most spoken Language in the EU. And not every German Speaker is German. 

There are alot German speaking Players in GW 2. There is no fault to learn some Words in German, French and Spanish.

German and English are both germanic languages which are close related. I have a friend he is from the UK and he learned alot German in the past 3 Years from gaming this game on Drakkar Lake. A great thing when u ask me. 

• Like 1

Here is a random thought I had earlier.

It is possible to embed online translation into virtually all software these days.
Maybe Anet should add it to GW2 chat as an option so that those who wish to could get a translation of something they don't understand.
They could even add custom elements such as British people (and I think most English speakers?) usually say inner and outer when referring to the walls of SM and keeps whereas I believe the French use P1 and P2?
I know such translators aren't perfect but it would be better than nothing and should give people the general gist of what is being said.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:36 PM, Grebcol.5984 said:

You should know that German is the most spoken Language in the EU. And not every German Speaker is German. 

There are alot German speaking Players in GW 2. There is no fault to learn some Words in German, French and Spanish.

German and English are both germanic languages which are close related. I have a friend he is from the UK and he learned alot German in the past 3 Years from gaming this game on Drakkar Lake. A great thing when u ask me. 

>You should know that German is the most spoken Language in the EU. And not every German Speaker is German. 

Can I expense my German lessons on ArenaNet?

Edited by rune.9572
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Nidome.1365 said:

Here is a random thought I had earlier.

It is possible to embed online translation into virtually all software these days.
Maybe Anet should add it to GW2 chat as an option so that those who wish to could get a translation of something they don't understand.
They could even add custom elements such as British people (and I think most English speakers?) usually say inner and outer when referring to the walls of SM and keeps whereas I believe the French use P1 and P2?
I know such translators aren't perfect but it would be better than nothing and should give people the general gist of what is being said.

In LOTR: Rise to War there is a translate button on the chat interface right next to players dialogues. It translates well most languages, maybe excepting russian.

On 12/6/2021 at 5:58 AM, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

by that logic u have to learn german, french, spanish/portugese/brazil variants, because they all fail to use english way too often.

esp for germans i can only wonder, bc our people learn pretty solid quality english in school, normally. probably same with the other countries, though i can only speak for germans there 😛

But you still haven't answer the main question, which was "Why do Germans not use %?" 

ngl I really want to know about this.  

On 12/7/2021 at 11:36 PM, Grebcol.5984 said:

No. English is the language spoken by most people in Europe (51%), not German (36%).

As an addon to the thread in general:

Having played with both French and German links I don't really find it an issue, you pick up the few important words quickly and for the objectives "pinging" writes it in the language your game is set to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Camdal.6197 said:

No. English is the language spoken by most people in Europe (51%), not German (36%).

As an addon to the thread in general:

Having played with both French and German links I don't really find it an issue, you pick up the few important words quickly and for the objectives "pinging" writes it in the language your game is set to.

Just to clarify German is the most spoken NATIVE language in the EU, however English is the most spoken language overall due to those who have it as a second language.

English is also the most spoken language across all of Europe which is the main relevancy as GW2 has European servers.

However no-one should be forced to spend time and money to learn a language to play a particular game mode when that game have had special language provision in that mode for the previous 9 years.

The best thing would be for Anet to add a translation option of some description to chat. It isn't a perfect solution, but it isn't far off (and it beats holding a tablet/phone up to the screen using camera image translation).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Nidome.1365 said:

Just to clarify German is the most spoken NATIVE language in the EU, however English is the most spoken language overall due to those who have it as a second language.

English is also the most spoken language across all of Europe which is the main relevancy as GW2 has European servers.

However no-one should be forced to spend time and money to learn a language to play a particular game mode when that game have had special language provision in that mode for the previous 9 years.

The best thing would be for Anet to add a translation option of some description to chat. It isn't a perfect solution, but it isn't far off (and it beats holding a tablet/phone up to the screen using camera image translation).

Jup it is the most spoken Mother Tongue in EU. In whole Europe( Continent) it is Native Russian . English is only native on Britain and when u look back where the Old English language came from......you will find out that the Saxons and Angels (and Jutes) where from Germany/Danmark. Heck even the Queen is German. 😄

14 hours ago, Grebcol.5984 said:

Jup it is the most spoken Mother Tongue in EU. In whole Europe( Continent) it is Native Russian . English is only native on Britain and when u look back where the Old English language came from......you will find out that the Saxons and Angels (and Jutes) where from Germany/Danmark. Heck even the Queen is German. 😄

I am fully aware of the etymology of the English language. It is a mash up Celtic languages, Latin, various Germanic tribal languages, some Scandinavian and even a bit of French. Volumes could be written detailing the etymology of the English language however we are not discussing history here but current events.

I am also fully aware that although possessing German ancestors Queen Elizabeth II is in fact British as were her parents. The full family tree is available to view online should anyone wish to view it.

However this is entirely irrelevant to the conversation at hand regarding the handling of the plethora of European languages in a balanced and non-discriminatory way in WvW, or lack of such handling.

• Thanks 2