the mech needs more toughness than the mechanist

Lynx.9058

It's about impossible to get your mech to tank for you in open world content right now.  With the way stats and scaling were changed, the mech never has higher toughness than you, which seems to be what most enemies go for first; so you always end up face tanking mobs despite the mech having 3-4x more health than the mechanist.

Can we please get this changed for the next beta or eod release.  Not only does it make soloing harder, it feels stupid as hell that my little asura mechanist is having to tank for a giant warbot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I've had the opposite issue. I despise having it tank for me and the ranged aspects of the mech made it feel possible to have it behave like a fire support unit while I do the actual dancing and fighting with mace and shield, but it attracts everyone and the whole ranged thing becomes redundant when they all pile on the mech.

So no, it doesn't need more toughness. More armor perhaps to soak the damage in a tanking position but it could use reliable means to generate more or less threat than the player to suit the playstyles.

Edited by MrForz.1953
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, MrForz.1953 said:

Honestly, I've had the opposite issue. I despise having it tank for me and the ranged aspects of the mech made it feel possible to have it behave like a fire support unit while I do the actual dancing and fighting with mace and shield, but it attracts everyone and the whole ranged thing becomes redundant when they all pile on the mech.

So no, it doesn't need more toughness. More armor perhaps to soak the damage in a tanking position but it could use reliable means to generate more or less threat than the player to suit the playstyles.

If you're using the pistol arms on it, sure.  I run a melee mech and fight alongside it with blast arms to get might stacks, and it is significantly tougher than my mechanist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Diovid.9506 said:

Doesn't the Mech get 1000 toughness + 100% of the Engi's toughness? Shouldn't that mean it's base toughness is 2000 and that it always has a 1000 toughness more than the Engi? Or did I misunderstand something?

It gets the same 1000 base as the mechanist and then whatever the mechanist has on top of that.  It ends up with identical toughness to the mechanist, which makes it bad at keeping aggro

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Diovid.9506 said:

Doesn't the Mech get 1000 toughness + 100% of the Engi's toughness? Shouldn't that mean it's base toughness is 2000 and that it always has a 1000 toughness more than the Engi? Or did I misunderstand something?

Not exactly, those type of mob/bosses don't use toughness only as aggro but the whole defence, ascended gear give you 1118 (1182 with shield), so you need to use rare gear (942) or less to leave the aggro to the Mech.

An easy fix could be to have Barrier Signet give you -10% damage (as now) and +200 toughness to the mech (instead of the -10% damage).

Depending on your gear, letting the mech tank isnt a great idea. The mech survivability is garbage despite having a lot of HP. On my zerk build, I try to kite and use terrain as well as some block to survive so my golem can DPS without having to worry about others. However, when my golem takes the aggro, it dies very fast and I end up having to do both the DPS and the tank. 

On my trailblazer set however, the golem has both HP and toughness to take hits so I dont really mind that much. In fact it helps me just focusing on DPS and sometime using the healing signet for the golem.

10 hours ago, Aznarb.6347 said:

they should just reduce aoe dmg to taking by the mech in pve as he never dodge.
The recall is not enough, you can't watch your pet all the time as you dps and do mechanic.
RN it die way to fast, and w/o it the profession become totally unfun 

I think there is some misunderstanding, this thread isn't about survivability of the mech, but his aggro.

In 1st beta the mech had a base of 1374 toughness that was more than enough to exceed the 1182 defence points of the mechanist armor+shield (the extra toughness is the same for both mech and mechanist); in 2nd beta the mech base toughness dropped to 1000, so every enemy that seek defence for aggro is now attacking the mechanist and not the mech anymore.

As I've said before, I personally think it wont be bad to have Barrier Signet giving damage reduction to mechanist and toughness to the mech, that way anyone can choose wich one have the aggro just by equipping that skill (of course other solutions are welcome).

Yep...this is but a taste of what rangers have gone through for years..trust me, it won't be fun to have that golem dead 80% of the time during zerg fights in WvW or anywhere with heavy AoE dmg, but hey..you still have 2 very well made elites that don't use a pet, so you can always switch when you get tired of your dieing pet

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, Arheundel.6451 said:

Yep...this is but a taste of what rangers have gone through for years..trust me, it won't be fun to have that golem dead 80% of the time during zerg fights in WvW or anywhere with heavy AoE dmg, but hey..you still have 2 very well made elites that don't use a pet, so you can always switch when you get tired of your dieing pet

Mech and ranger pets are fully different.

Mechanist uses a whole e spec just for the mech and the mech isnt even close to perm if it dies.
Ranger can just swap the pet and soulbeast can just enter and go out of beast mode again and ur pet will be 100%.

Rangers have the ability to heal their pets.
Mechanist can just heal the mech by the signet.

If the mech dies u ll stand there 50 seconds with 2 core specs, no e spec and no toolbelt.
If ranger pet dies u ll just swap the pet or enter beastmode or go out of beastmode to revive the pet instantly.

Also mech does more damage than ranger pet so its even worse if the mech dies.
Maybe nice that the mech deals more dmg than the pet, thats how u could see it. But that means that the players will deal less damage so u r more dependant how ur ai does, which is imo not very nice. If you are playing afk-mode thats ofc super nice.

This is not a taste of what rangers have gone through for years, this is actually far worse what rangers got.
We got a spec fully built around a pet that has a 50 second cooldown if it dies and we cant even heal it.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

Mech and ranger are fully different.

Mechanist uses a whole e spec just for the mech and the mech isnt even close to perm if it dies.
Ranger can just swap the pet and soulbeast can just enter and go out of beast mode again and ur pet will be 100%.

Rangers have the ability to heal their pets.
Mechanist can just heal the mech by the signet.

If the mech dies u ll stand there 50 seconds with 2 core specs, no e spec and no toolbelt.
If ranger pet dies u ll just swap the pet or enter beastmode or go out of beastmode to revive the pet instantly.

Also mech does more damage than ranger pet so its even worse if the mech dies.

This is not a taste of what rangers have gone through for years, this is actually far worse what rangers got.
We got a spec fully built around a pet that has a 50 second cooldown if it dies and we cant even heal it.

Yep.

The problem is they give us a pet on a class which never got designed to work with a pet, then not giving us the required tools to do so either.

Literally every ranger healing skill heals the pet as well. It is a needed design principle to make the pet function. They should have made all engineer healing skills heal the mech by default, too, then give the signet another niche.

• Thanks 1