Power block is way too strong on pvp

Zekent.3652

TLDR cover your heal. You can fake cast it, or move behind the mesmer while casting it, or using stab\aegis\blind, or going behind a column to cast it. There's 100 different ways to deal with it, all of them work, and you still chose to cry on the forum

THE LONG VERSION
Let's settle the thing once and for all, because this thread is popping here and there with alarming frequency.

A mesmer running domination has NO resustain and virtually no cleanse. It's not something situational, it can't be mitigated; that's how things works with mesmer. You'll have to trust me on this one. Their only resustain comes from healing skills themselves, which are all alarmingly bad (very low heal) and none of those has any kind of cleanse... except Well of Eternity (LOL)
That being said, SOMETIMES said domi mesmer can deny your resustain, if you're goofy enough to cast your long kitten heal with no stab\aegis\blind\los to cover it.

Now, I want you to remember those words because I chose them very carefully. The domination mesmer has 0 resustain WHATEVER THE CASE, whereas you get reduced resustain ONLY IN SOME CASES, IF YOU kitten IT UP BIG ENOUGH.

Now, quick question: is it reasonable that a mesmer with 0 resustain (and... not that high of a damage, really, holosmiths with a grenade AA deals more damage than a good 75% of my skills) is allowed to have some actual tools to face classes that can tank twice as much damage as himself? Or your plan is being able to facetank 16 skills, then get heal rupted and still going on as usual because there's no penalty?
Power block is the counterplay against resustain spammers (and sometimes it's still not enough, as some can still facetank everything even with just the passive resustain; looking at you, holosmith enjoyers). If you are one of those people you still have plenty of room to kitten it up, don't worry. You can still facetank everything as you usually do, just need to go behind a crate to cast that one skill you don't want to get rupted -usually your healing skill, I guess-

P.S.: My lawyer suggested I'd go with the word "goofy" instead of whatever I was going to say.

P.P.S.: Almost forgot. Remove power block and mesmers will have no choice but to play actual resustain. IDK if you like inspiration\chaos meta, but I sure as hell do not want that to spread even more.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

TLDR cover your heal. You can fake cast it, or move behind the mesmer while casting it, or using stab\aegis\blind, or going behind a column to cast it.

THE LONG VERSION
Let's settle the thing once and for all, because this thread is popping here and there with alarming frequency.

A mesmer running domination has NO resustain and virtually no cleanse. It's not something situational, it can't be mitigated; that's how things works with mesmer.
However, SOMETIMES  it can deny your resustain, if you're goofy enough to cast your long kitten heal with no stab\aegis\blind\los to cover it.

Now, I want you to remember those words because I chose them very carefully. The domination mesmer has 0 resustain IN EVERY CASE, whereas you get 0 resustain ONLY IN SOME CASES.

Now, quick question: is it reasonable that a mesmer with 0 resustain is allowed to have some actual tools to face classes that can tank twice as much damage as himself? Or your plan is being able to facetank 16 skills, then get rupted and still going on as usual because there's no penalty? Power block is the counterplay against resustain spammers, if you are one of those people you still have plenty of room to kitten it up, don't worry. You can still facetank everything as usualy, just need to go behind a crate to cast that one skill you don't want to get rupted -usually your healing skill, I guess-

P.S. My lawyer suggested I'd go with the word "goofy" instead of whatever I was going to say.

Yeah, i main warrior, and i always cover my heal, just because spellbreaker have fullcounter, without that, is really painful, especially on berserker, power block on berserk form/burst is painful. and Let's be honest, op or not, 3s icd for a class that have constant *ranged* easy rupts is way too low, most of powerblock mesmers punish really hard and they dont even notice that on most of situations.

Also, why is that guy on the video so salty, is he always like that?

Edited by Zizekent.2398

Just now, Zizekent.2398 said:

Yeah, i main warrior, and i always cover my heal with mending, just because spellbreaker have fullcounter, without that, is really painful, especially on berserker, power block on berserk form/burst is painful. and Let's be honest, op or not, 3s icd for a class that have constant *ranged* easy rupts is way too low, most of powerblock mesmers punish really hard and they dont even notice that on most of situations.

Helseth spends most of his streaming time being a jerk. That may make him toxic, but not wrong.

Now, as a general rule: you're a warrior, you shouldn't face condi mesmers.
If you still decide to do it, just LOS before healing. Mesmers -unlike thieves\revenants-  can't really chase beyond 600 range since both sword3 and axe3 won't cast at all.

1 hour ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

Especially on a class that have that many interrupts so easily done, needs a nerf, like a bigger icd, or something else more healthier for the game.

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Edit : The confused emote button is not the downvote button i have no idea how you can be confused about me coming here to laugh at you.

Edited by Genesis.5169
AHAHAHAHAHA oh man thanks i needed that.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Quoting a mesmer main to defend mesmer is not that convincing. But yea.

Also, I remember once upon a time, I watched a steamer using ranger to beat another ranger to show that ranger is fine..

I guess the stealth, distortion, blink, Juant does not help liveability at all.

Edited by Crozame.4098
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Helseth spends most of his streaming time being a jerk. That may make him toxic, but not wrong.

If you still decide to do it, just LOS before healing. Mesmers -unlike thieves\revenants-  can't really chase beyond 600 range since both sword3 and axe3 won't cast at all.

Ty for the tips tho, i'm just gonna avoid most of mesmers from now in that case (as warrior).

9 minutes ago, Crozame.4098 said:

I'm sorry man, next time we talk about mesmer mechanics I'll make sure to leave the talking to someone who doesn't know a single thing about mesmer.

That being said, I'm defending power block but I don't play it myself; you could remove it tomorrow and nothing about my gameplay would change, but the game would become much poorer, for the reasons I explained. 

3 minutes ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

Ty for the tips tho, i'm just gonna avoid most of mesmers from now in that case (as warrior).

From a warrior's PoV it's probably one of the worst matchups you could possibly fathom, other than d\p thief. That being said, if you manage to regularly cast your heal with LoS the thing should become much more manageable, since the clones will proc full counter regardless of whether the mesmer wants to or not; a single tether denies blink\sword ambush\torch 4\signet of midnight\jaunt... basically half of mesmer's skillset is gone.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Crozame.4098 said:

Also, I remember once upon a time, I watched a steamer using ranger to beat another ranger to show that ranger is fine..

I guess the stealth, distortion, blink, Juant does not help liveability at all.

I guess you didnt get the part where mesmer has kitten sustain so it uses power block to cut down their enemies sustain.
Its an interesting gameplay mechanic but I guess we cant have that.
Its not like 95% of the builds can create free opening for their healing skills to go uninterrupted.

@Zizekent.2398
Against a mesmer ( with power block and mantra in general ) you want to defend your key skills. You dont even have to make it impossible to deny them, just make it harder for mesmer.
1 use stability to heal, stomp is a decent skill for this, as clones will give you stability when you hit them, you can also use it to kill phantasms as well as pressure mesmer into dodging and THEN heal, but its more advanced, its just a decent skill.
2 Use los to use easy to rupt skills ( for example if you need to run and use rush | its easy to rupt rush |, go around los first, mesmer will either have to walk around, and thus you create distance before he can do anything, or he has to use another cooldown to stop TLDR
always los/stab against mantra mes, even if you get rupted at least have him use his jaunt/blink to do it.

Imagine being a warrior with a million stuns that has no need to time for an interrupt and can kill you with just 1 stun of many that you dont block dodge or stab. Then imagine you being that warrior complaining about powerblock.

Man the irony here is too much my sides in are out of space. If you think powerblock is too strong you should be willing to eat the removal of half of your warrior CCs.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

What does "los" mean?

LoS = Line of Sight

Mesmer has 2 main interrupt tools: diversion (F3, 30-something s cd, AoE daze around the mesmer) and mantra of distraction (24s cd, 1s daze, 1200 range, 2 charges, 24s to reload a charge and 5s cd between each use)

Diversion can only be used at melee range, and mantra of distraction (the main rupt tool) can only be used if the mesmer can see you. Healing behind something (a crate, a column, anything solid) will prevent the mesmer from seeing you, so no rupt should occur.

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695

And i just wanna add how many people have died to a warrior in one cc because they caught you off guard with no STAB or breaks? 

And how many times has a mesmer killed you with powerblock and not the shatter on inactivity traitline this thread is absolute nonsense and the people in this thread enabling the guys who knows better should stop. Not only is power block underpowered the OP's choice of class has no business complaining about CC this thread is hilarious.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I'd like to point out some things. 

1 hour ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Not only is power block underpowered ...

It's not underpowered or overpowered. It's useful for what it brings and the domi line is glass enough to justify it. 

1 hour ago, Genesis.5169 said:

the OP's choice of class has no business complaining about CC this thread is hilarious.

2 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Imagine being a warrior with a million stuns that has no need to time for an interrupt and can kill you with just 1 stun of many that you dont block dodge or stab. Then imagine you being that warrior complaining about powerblock.

???

I don't understand how people aren't making the complete connection that warrior is generally struggling right now due to their kit being no-damage high telegraph stuns that must be landed to do the actual damage (and that follow up damage can also be evaded or invulned/blinded/blocked/interrupted), coupled with a lack of sustain to make that happen reliably, but seem aware of enough of their kit to use it as a cudgel when the grievance being aired is about a trait that adds cd time to a skill you wanted to press on any interrupting cc from the mesmer, one of which has no telegraph or cast time at all (Mantra of Distraction, which I assume is what the complaint is about).

You shouldn't be able to hold both of those ideas simultaneously. One of those sets of hurdles is clearly higher than the other set, but people insist on claiming the opposite.

"You have more cc haha" isn't an argument, especially when the skill being accused of being op is part of a class that counters the class making the complaint.  One versatile tool is worth many situational ones. 

That being said, what has been mentored about line of sight and frustrating a mesmer trying to block your heal above is good advice. You can win this matchup on warrior if you're patient, stow your heal, and kite aggressively. Keep in mind that right now, the below is true.

4 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

3 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

From a warrior's PoV it's probably one of the worst matchups you could possibly fathom, other than d\p thief. 

I know there are some mesmers out there that find that fact upsetting to the narrative that mesmer is most in need  of competitive attention,  but most warriors and glass eles have you beat. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zizekent.2398 said:

Yeah, i main warrior, and i always cover my heal, just because spellbreaker have fullcounter, without that, is really painful, especially on berserker, power block on berserk form/burst is painful. and Let's be honest, op or not, 3s icd for a class that have constant *ranged* easy rupts is way too low, most of powerblock mesmers punish really hard and they dont even notice that on most of situations.

Power Block doesn't have a 3 sec ICD, it doesn't have an ICD at all. Which is a good thing, the only thing that is somewhat dumb is Mantra of Distraction, not power block. Mantra of Distraction is annoying even without power block.

4 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

And i just wanna add how many people have died to a warrior in one cc because they caught you off guard with no STAB or breaks? 

And how many times has a mesmer killed you with powerblock and not the shatter on inactivity traitline this thread is absolute nonsense and the people in this thread enabling the guys who knows better should stop. Not only is power block underpowered the OP's choice of class has no business complaining about CC this thread is hilarious.

calm down, the guys is fairly new, plays against a hard mechanic that also hard counters him.
furstration can be expected 

3 hours ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Power Block doesn't have a 3 sec ICD, it doesn't have an ICD at all. Which is a good thing, the only thing that is somewhat dumb is Mantra of Distraction, not power block. Mantra of Distraction is annoying even without power block.

It has 3s ICD. Its bugged. It has been reported bugged almost 3 years ago. Its still bugged, its here to stay.
Welcome to the mesmer club, we have fun and games!

I think the Power block active should be made into a weapon skill (probably some less used weapon that does kitten all), this gives intent telegraph since the mesmer is showing the weapon and the guy against it should play carefully cause he was "warned"(it wont change much but it will make uga players think sometimes). This nerfs the current trait but it opens up the build options with the restriction of needing to use some weapon.
Personally I do not like these type of everything is dangerous and dodge everything traits. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

It has 3s ICD. Its bugged. It has been reported bugged almost 3 years ago. Its still bugged, its here to stay.
Welcome to the mesmer club, we have fun and games!

ICD don't matter because if it works all skills go on a 3second interupt timer. So its pretty much there so you don't waste powerblock although it not having that ICD would be nice for it to stack with a certain rune set.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Confused 1

The problem ia that powerblock adds 10 seconds of cd to tje normal 4 for a tital of 14seconds.

Not only is this an increase of 250% but zhe cd addes is the same even for skills with cds lower than 14sec. (aka also Warriors burst skills)

Furthermore fake casting is not counterplay to rupts as the mesmer could wait to the last possible moment to rupt at higher level of play. And if you "fake" cast its essentialy a self rupt with the normal 4 sec cd. 

Regardleas of what you sacrifice its clear that the mechanic cant be balanced. The issue isnt even that its a rupt trait or that it increases cd. lets say it would add chill on rupt then you would still only need to go through 6 seconds of rupt cd.

Even a trait that makes skills go on full cd would be more balanced than power block

1 hour ago, Alabastrum.9361 said:

The problem ia that powerblock adds 10 seconds of cd to tje normal 4 for a tital of 14seconds.

Not only is this an increase of 250% but zhe cd addes is the same even for skills with cds lower than 14sec. (aka also Warriors burst skills)

Furthermore fake casting is not counterplay to rupts as the mesmer could wait to the last possible moment to rupt at higher level of play. And if you "fake" cast its essentialy a self rupt with the normal 4 sec cd. 

Regardleas of what you sacrifice its clear that the mechanic cant be balanced. The issue isnt even that its a rupt trait or that it increases cd. lets say it would add chill on rupt then you would still only need to go through 6 seconds of rupt cd.

Even a trait that makes skills go on full cd would be more balanced than power block

It's funny you mention chill, that would actually be much stronger as it slows down the recharge of ALL SKILLS not just the one that you interrupted while also slowing you to a crawl. Of course we're assuming it's chill for a decent length to be meaningful like 3-5s.

Think about how annoying chill is on a class that can keep spamming it out, they can kite you easily and they will win a CD war, essentially it's an amazing condition to have in a protracted fight.
What do those classes and skills require for this huge benefit that is every bit as strong as a GM trait that needs you to interrupt a skill with another skill? Just hit.
Now do you see why complaining about power block is a little silly? It's one of the few cool down increases that is targetted and requires more skill than hit with ability or even worse is passively applied.