What are the max number of players on a Team in this new system?

Max pop on the maps havent changed nor is likely to change since the servers cant handle more and there is no real point in reducing it further than they've already done.

For the team question, well thats the major pro of the system - there is no fixed number. Anet can set any number of tiers and any target pop depending on the total pop. They can "delete" an entire tier with ease and give everyone higher average pop, or they can create a new one. Its far more flexible than current monolithic worlds. The average number they where talking about originally was ~2500 (this match the average world today).

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jalad Lantana.3027 said:

Interesting so a team can be any number up to 2500.

What is the upper limit of the total number of players (counting both teams) in a match?

At the same time on the map around 400 (around 100 per map, a bit less I guess) per team.

3 teams (not 2) per tier, currently 4 (NA) + 5 (EU)Tiers, so at the same time currently 4800 in NA and 6000 EU (plus unlimited (as long as AWS has server ANet is able to rent) number in EotM).

In total a match has 7 (days) * 24 (hours) * 400 (at the same time) = 67'200 people hours per team.

Each of the 2500 of a team must play 27h to fill the match completely 24/7 🙂

Edited by Dayra.7405

16 hours ago, Jalad Lantana.3027 said:

Interesting so a team can be any number up to 2500.

What is the upper limit of the total number of players (counting both teams) in a match?

That is not what I said. 

The average team size get determined by the shuffle (bi monthly if like now) based on a target population and tiers. If there is just 1 tier and 9000 players, thats 3000 per team. If there is 12000 players next shuffle, thats 4000 per team... or if now its 2 tiers, then its ~2000 per team. Etc.

When Anet talked about 2500 all those years ago it was an average, but the range on the current world sizes was huge. You had tiny worlds and massive worlds. This is the very reason linking started as a bandaid and alliances came to be as a concept. 

I dont think the pics are still there but they even showed us a chart of the population per server (but without a reference point so no numbers). It was a rollercoaster.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

41 minutes ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9rl1uevqgq1yot/2018-05-server-pop.png?dl=0

Sorry, I'm not smart enough to figure out how to actually link images, so you'll have to do with my dropbox link 😛

You cant link pics on the new forums anyway. Yes thats the one I meant. No names and no numbers, but since Anet said around 2500 we guess that is somewhere in the middle.