Improving SpellBreaker Part I: GM traits

oscuro.9720

Currently spell breaker is our strongest spec in competitive modes, but many would admit, from warrior mains and non warrior mains, that it is underpowered in the current meta. Sure, in good hands it can be dangerous, but that is the same with many other classes that outperform Warrior. One way to revitalize spell breaker to an extent is by addressing its Grand Master traits. 
Currently, Magebane Tether is by far the strongest. What I propose is to alter Enchantment Collapse and Revenge Counter to be viable alternatives by making the following changes:

Revenge Counter: 

Full Counter transfers conditions instead of copies. Full counter now deals a set damage value of 1350 (damage mod of .001, enough damage to kill Mesmer clones on a crit w/ 200% crit damage), and deals 50% bonus damage to foes with barrier.

Enchantment Collapse:

Full Counter now removes 3 boons from foes and applies taunt (2s) instead of Daze. The previous effect of stripping boons from nearby foes still applies.

Magebane Tether:

Magebane Tether now applies Disenchantment (1s) every pulse, to prevent boon application to the tethered foe. 
This would make the GM traits more meaningful and really impact gameplay style imo. It gives warrior small utility bumps that it needs without being game breaking by drifting 10-12k like it did before. 

Thank you for reading my opinions on the matter. Have a nice day everyone 🙂 

Edited by oscuro.9720
Mobile formatting is a pain — turns out words are a pain as well…— Turns out I can’t use the wiki properly either
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Currently spell breaker is our strongest spec in competitive modes, but many would admit, from warrior mains and non warrior mains, that it is underpowered in the current meta. Sure, in good hands it can be dangerous, but that is the same with many other classes that outperform Warrior. One way to revitalize spell breaker to an extent is by addressing its Grand Master traits. 
Currently, Magebane Tether is by far the strongest. What I propose is to alter Enchantment Collapse and Revenge Counter to be viable alternatives by making the following changes:

Revenge Counter: 

Full Counter transfers conditions instead of copies. Full counter now deals a set damage value of 1350 (damage mod of .001, enough damage to kill Mesmer clones on a crit w/ 200% crit damage), and deals 50% bonus damage to foes with barrier.

Enchantment Collapse:

Full Counter now removes 3 boons from foes and applies taunt (2s) instead of Daze. The previous effect of stripping boons from nearby foes still applies. FC cool down is increased to 10s. 

Magebane Tether:

Magebane Tether now applies Disenchantment (1s) every pulse, to prevent boon application to the tethered foe. 
This would make the GM traits more meaningful and really impact gameplay style imo. It gives warrior small utility bumps that it needs without being game breaking by drifting 10-12k like it did before. 

Thank you for reading my opinions on the matter. Have a nice day everyone 🙂 

I really like these ideas, oscuro. Nice job!

My take on Enchantment collapse is that FC should a) remove additional boons like you said, and b.) Inflict disenchantment for 3s on all targets struck--even if they have stability and thus didn't lose any boons from FC directly.

I'm not sold on swapping out daze for taunt, but I know that a lot of folks have wanted something like that. Could be good.

I certainly wouldn't want to increase FCs CD tho (it's 12s baseline, btw; shorter if you run discipline) since that is so key to SpB's sustain.

Again, thanks for the ideas! Good post!

2 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

I really like these ideas, oscuro. Nice job!

My take on Enchantment collapse is that FC should a) remove additional boons like you said, and b.) Inflict disenchantment for 3s on all targets struck--even if they have stability and thus didn't lose any boons from FC directly.

I'm not sold on swapping out daze for taunt, but I know that a lot of folks have wanted something like that. Could be good.

I certainly wouldn't want to increase FCs CD tho (it's 12s baseline, btw; shorter if you run discipline) since that is so key to SpB's sustain.

Again, thanks for the ideas! Good post!

I’m dumb and forgot to change to wvw on the wiki. Updated post.

Good changes.. But I would rework enchantment collapse for offensive version of fullcounter insteed of your oppinion. Something like fullcounter no longer need to take a hit to be activated, it no longer absorb next following attack but deal let's say 1/2 damage of revenge counter and apply taunt. Just for pve or pvp/wvw offensive playstyle

I'd like Full Counter's block window of 1.5 seconds increased slightly. When you compare it to something like Ranger GS Counterattack's 3 second block window, it feels embarrasingly underpowered and punishes early activation a little too much.

3 seconds is probably a bit too much considering how powerful a successful activation is, but 2 seconds seems like a good compromise.

• oscuro.9720 changed the title to Improving SpellBreaker Part I: GM traits