Ele has zero need of another melee weapon

scerevisiae.1972

2 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

You forgot to add focus to range which makes 3 v 3

Everyone always referring to that one line on character creation? Well if you look at core ele that is still largely true. The elite specs aren't so much ele as evolutions of that were originally meant to help cover gaps/weak spots in the core class. Hence dragon hunter getting bow because Guardian had no range to speak of.

I would imagine if there is a 4th spec it may be more likely to have some sort of ranged coverage but hard to say for sure. It'll depend on how catalyst pans out.

Focus wasn't forgotten, it doesn't fit in the category of mainhand weapons. Ultimately, whether a set is primarily ranged or melee depends on what's in the main hand - most offhands are designed to be useful regardless of whether they're paired with a ranged or melee mainhand*, but if you combine any offhand with a melee mainhand, it's at best a melee set with a couple of high-recharge ranged attacks.

*With the exceptions mainly being on professions where all their ranged weapons are two handed, like warrior and rev. 

3 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

You forgot to add focus to range which makes 3 v 3

Everyone always referring to that one line on character creation? Well if you look at core ele that is still largely true. The elite specs aren't so much ele as evolutions of that were originally meant to help cover gaps/weak spots in the core class. Hence dragon hunter getting bow because Guardian had no range to speak of.

I would imagine if there is a 4th spec it may be more likely to have some sort of ranged coverage but hard to say for sure. It'll depend on how catalyst pans out.

Since when focus is main hand weapon?

On 2/15/2022 at 1:45 PM, giblets.6401 said:

looking at main-hand weapons...

Ele: 
melee (3): dagger, sword, hammer
ranged (2): staff, sceptre 

Necro:
melee (2): dagger, greatsword
ranged (4): staff, sceptre, axe, pistol

Mesmer:
melee (2): sword, axe
ranged (4): staff, sceptre, greatsword, dagger

-------------------> Ele is a majority melee class now :wtf: :boggle: :ohgodwhy: <---------------------

OK, including offhands as well then...

Ele
melee (4): D/D,  D/W, Sw/D, hammer
ranged (2): staff, Sc/D
hybrid (3): D/F, Sc/F, Sw/F, Sc/W

Necro:
melee (1): greatsword
ranged (11): staff, Sc/D, Sc/F, Sc/T, A/D, A/F, A/W, A/T, P/D, P/F, P/W
hybrid (4): D/W, D/D, D/T, D/F

Mesmer:
melee (1): Sw/Sh
ranged (11): staff, Sc/F, Sc/T, Sc/Sw, Sc/P, GS, D/F, D/T, D/Sw, D/P, D/T
hybrid (8): Sw/F, Sw/T, Sw/Sw, Sw/P, A/F, A/T, A/P, Sc/Sh 

...including offhands just makes it even more clear than Ele is a primary melee class.

Edited by scerevisiae.1972
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Wait did you guys forget we have the conjured FROST BOW skill though!!!!!

(reads all the stats)..... oh god...its awful 😕 

They really do need to revamp conjured skills AGAIN and redistribute the conjure traits per each relevant attunement. Fire traitline shouldn't hog it. I'd even be ok with them all turning into elite skills equivalent to the fire greatsword. The ele elites are so imbalanced from a theme perspective. Why is only fire the elite weapon and the air is the only elite form?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, Kain Francois.4328 said:

Thank you for trying to talk sense into people.

Sadly I don't think most people consider the implications beyond internal roleplay fantasy. Furthermore, people want something until they have it. Then they don't care.

Realistically, I imagine a "Ranged Ele" spec will end up a lot like Dragonhunter.

All that said, if people have problems with Scepter and Staff, then the worst possible solution is to do a ranged spec, because it doesn't fix a core class issue.

I have yet to see a single argument why we shouldn't fix Staff and Scepter.

Then there's the matter of conjures...

See the thing about elites is when you pick one, the best option and really main only option is to use the weapon they bring. Weavers always use swords, tempest always use warhorns, almost every build you can find for each spec it using their main weapon, this is true for all classes. Even if base staff and scepter were buffed to a point where it could be considered balanced, it would still be weaker than sword because of the buffs and balances for weaver are made around using a sword, the only way to be able to use ranged weapons effectively to match up against other players is to have a elite spec for it since we don't get weapon swap, so we only get one weapon loadout as opposed to other classes that can use their spec weapon and another of their choice.

10 hours ago, Lalaboompoo.1289 said:

See the thing about elites is when you pick one, the best option and really main only option is to use the weapon they bring. Weavers always use swords, tempest always use warhorns, almost every build you can find for each spec it using their main weapon, this is true for all classes.

I don't think that's true at all.

The true mark of a good elite spec is the extent to which it makes existing weapons relevant again by providing interesting new ways to play.

This is one of Catalyst's biggest design failures. It's just a field, which makes it like core Ele, traits borrow heavily from tempest, and augments are really bad as well.

That's before you consider Hammer as a PVE-only melee weapon, which just obliterated Sword PVE specs.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scerevisiae.1972 said:

I don't think that's true at all.

The true mark of a good elite spec is the extent to which it makes existing weapons relevant again by providing interesting new ways to play.

This is one of Catalyst's biggest design failures. It's just a field, which makes it like core Ele, traits borrow heavily from tempest, and augments are really bad as well.

That's before you consider Hammer as a PVE-only melee weapon, which just obliterated Sword PVE specs.  

A small side note; personally I think power hammer should be better than power sword and condi sword better than condi hammer. Weaver overall has more skills and traits that favour condi/hybrid, while Cata seems more power/hybrid. I think that would give both a place in a way.

• Like 1