Daunting ranking pip return requirements

I guess I am an average greedy WvW goer, rather than motivated through the "super amazing and engaging mechanics of getting stomped or stomping in zergs" I am here for rewards.

And rewards that matter to me come primarily from pips/track progression and thus it would seem that the level of my activity and involvement has close to zero bearing on my rewards.

One could argue that ranking up would increase my pip gain but that is where I see the problem,

I have an unpleasant impression that I will likely collect most pip related rewards prior to even reaching silver regardless whether I manage to occasionally flip the SM and manage to fulfill a wxp reward objective every 5 minutes or I am just AFKing and then finding a camp to flip every 10 minutes. I can run a squad and I often do, but compare that to tabbing in every 10 minutes and doing 2 minutes of effort and sometimes it's not worth it nor even possible to get a 10man squad.

As someone playing off and on since release without focusing on WvW primarily I am rank 340ish and popular response on "how did you get such a high rank" Is usually "having played during a specific time when ranking up was easier".

Given I missed that time and so have many others who did not do WvW at the golden age I would like to see something of a rank squish or at least attach higher pips to lower requirements regardless of rank, while maintaining the level of recognition for people who simply played during the right time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
58 minutes ago, koxsos.6258 said:

I guess I am an average greedy WvW goer, rather than motivated through the "super amazing and engaging mechanics of getting stomped or stomping in zergs" I am here for rewards.

And rewards that matter to me come primarily from pips/track progression and thus it would seem that the level of my activity and involvement has close to zero bearing on my rewards.

One could argue that ranking up would increase my pip gain but that is where I see the problem,

I have an unpleasant impression that I will likely collect most pip related rewards prior to even reaching silver regardless whether I manage to occasionally flip the SM and manage to fulfill a wxp reward objective every 5 minutes or I am just AFKing and then finding a camp to flip every 10 minutes. I can run a squad and I often do, but compare that to tabbing in every 10 minutes and doing 2 minutes of effort and sometimes it's not worth it nor even possible to get a 10man squad.

As someone playing off and on since release without focusing on WvW primarily I am rank 340ish and popular response on "how did you get such a high rank" Is usually "having played during a specific time when ranking up was easier".

Given I missed that time and so have many others who did not do WvW at the golden age I would like to see something of a rank squish or at least attach higher pips to lower requirements regardless of rank, while maintaining the level of recognition for people who simply played during the right time.

They’ve already done a ‘rank squish’ for the mist-forged triumphant.  Originally the chest piece needed rank 2000.  Now it’s ‘only’ 500.

They have also recently buffed  PiP gain by two for anyone that plays.

Again, if you want this particular ‘shiny’ (which gives no statistical advantage over Ascended) then it takes time.  

And if you just want legendary armor, the the PvP version and the Raids version takes less time.

Welcome back.

Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Like 1

Rank 340 is about 7-8 weeks of play for a semi dedicated player and around 4 weeks of hardcore WvW play.

Rank 340 was what I had after 3 years of occasionally dabbling in WvW, meaning I would go im every once in a blue moon. Once I actually started playing the mode regularly I flew past this rank.

As to "every one with a high rank got ir during some special easy time", grow up. That argument/complaint is nonsense.

I personally have seen 3 people hit rank 10k in the last 3 years (out of the WvW circles I've played in). That wasn't done while circle farming EotM. It was done via consistent and continous play of WvW. Me, I'm close to 6k now and that was done via via varying degrees of hardcore gaming over 3.5 years.

Here is what you need for a "high" WvW rank:

1. Use boosters and Wxp gain increases like: amulet enrichment, guild buff, celebration/birthday booster, experience boost if available, WxP boost, ascended food

2. Play WvW regularly 

Done. If you want to speed up the process, join a server with a regular karma/ppt train, those are around. Was never needed for me, but there are some players who enjoy ppt do more power to them.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did not know what I expected really, revealing my "baby" rank besides being asked to "grow up".

Thank you for your kind words of input.

Especially the amulet enrichment bit I completely missed, who would have known it applies to wxp.

It's Monday and my chests are finished though.

Did one day commanding a zerg and other day flipping a camp every 10 minutes.

The time assesment is correct I only played enough to make one ascended set cause back then it seemed like an interesting way to skip crafting requirements and now I am a week away from conflux, based on skirm tickets alone I never lasted long, usually just popping in for obligatory gift of battle and prioritizing tickets.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, koxsos.6258 said:

Did not know what I expected really, revealing my "baby" rank besides being asked to "grow up".

Especially the amulet enrichment bit I completely missed, who would have known it applies to wxp.

The time assesment is correct I only played enough to make one ascended set cause back then it seemed like an interesting way to skip crafting requirements and now I am a week away from conflux, based on skirm tickets alone I never lasted long, usually just popping in for obligatory gift of battle and prioritizing tickets.

Yes, what did you expect?

You come in, tell people everyone above your "baby rank" somehow cheated or exploited (btw the EotM farm was changed/nerfed in 2016: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Edge_of_the_Mists. That's close to 5 years past yet somehow, players still believe that every single high rank player since used that to get their high rank), and expect wide range approval?

This mode has been out for YEARS. YEARS! Others have been playing for YEARS. Turns out, playing for YEARS yields a lot of WvW ranks without having to resort to gaming the system. Did you get the part where I mentioned that players have been gaining WvW ranks for YEARS?

You want the higher pips, stick with the mode and eventually you too will have a high rank. Even with the recent 2 bonus pips which everyone got. It's that simple and there is absolutely 0 magic or exploiting or gaming the system necessary.

EDIT:

oh and FYI, flipping camps and semi afk farming pips is one of the worst ways to actually gain WvW ranks. So if you are perceiving the mode and gaining Wxp as a long grind, that right there is one of the reasons.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In a nutshell: TC didn't know how to maximize wxp gain from all possible boosters, didnt know that eotm rankfarm hasnt been a thing in 5 years, didn't know that rank 340 is reeeeeally low for a game thats several years old, didnt know that anet boosted base pips quite recently . (Semi-afking probably doesnt boost ranks much, btw. Unless anet should reward wxp by the minute). Yet he/she wants more base pips, even after anet keeps raising the base pip number.

Weirdly reminds me of people who want easy leggies, now that leggy armory is a thing. 

Nah, i cant be THAT wrong, can I?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, koxsos.6258 said:

I think you should be grateful people cared enough about you to give advice.

After all, if you are just here for the rewards and the occasional semi afk farm, it doesn't matter to anyone else if you are here or not, much less to change the game in your favor. Which would probably be a waste of time.

Also would you really waste thousands of hours gaining ranks just to pip farm faster? That's simply irrational and to think people that bothered doing that are somehow better off is also irrational.

One thing to concede would be the acceptance as boosters as a norm, which would mean the base output is pretty low I think.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

After all, if you are just here for the rewards and the occasional semi afk farm, it doesn't matter to anyone else if you are here or not, much less to change the game in your favor. Which would probably be a waste of time.

Also would you really waste thousands of hours gaining ranks just to pip farm faster? That's simply irrational and to think people that bothered doing that are somehow better off is also irrational.

One thing to concede would be the acceptance as boosters as a norm, which would mean the base output is pretty low I think.

This 100%.
Players used to lose gold playing WvW instead of it being a "reward farm". I did fractals just to finance WvW.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

This 100%.
Players used to lose gold playing WvW instead of it being a "reward farm". I did fractals just to finance WvW.

Yea it is no different from crying that Fractal God gets 4 more encryptions and 4 more bags of fractal relic. 

The real secret is playing the game, instead of writing a lot of text. Forums don't give Wxp (sadly)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

Weirdly reminds me of people who want easy leggies, now that leggy armory is a thing. 

I do want easy leggies, they did make that happen in WvW. It is kinda why I am here. It's literally in the OP. As well as reason why I would not play otherwise.
And yes, leggy armory certainly pushed the convenience to another level, before it was armor I still had to bounce around character which set it on equal footing with ascended version for my use.

11 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

You come in, tell people everyone above your "baby rank" somehow cheated or exploited

I said no such thing.

10 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

That's close to 5 years past yet somehow, players still believe that every single high rank player since used that to get their high rank), and expect wide range approval?

I expect no approval, I specifically stated I got that as a response from someone who was a high rank. I did not even make it up, it was something something there "Used to be better wxp boosters and bigger rewards and we ranked up a lot during that time. It is not that great now."

10 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

This mode has been out for YEARS. YEARS! Others have been playing for YEARS. Turns out, playing for YEARS yields a lot of WvW ranks without having to resort to gaming the system. Did you get the part where I mentioned that players have been gaining WvW ranks for YEARS?

Not all that encouraging for people trying to get into it.
Unless I am years in, I don't get even gains.
And it is absolutely great that you have better rewards once you invested years into it, certainly, I just wish those were a bit more visual rewards which do not really relate as much to relative time investments to get your weekly chests done.
I am not after your prestige, I am literally here just to farm up easy leggies. It is in the OP.
Squishing +5 pips into 100 - 500 bracket would help that along a bit, it might even have me a bit more excited to follow a tag in karma farm or be that tag myself, but yeah I just want things without the blood sweat and tears for literally years and therefore commit heresy.

5 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Would prefer it not being a waste and it would serve as a really good motive to get involved a lot more given the tradeoff was reasonable and not 'irrational' as you put it.
I hope I am not twisting your words on this, but it would seem like you are backing my point.
I would prefer for people to "come for the pips, stay for the content, cause it can be fun, here's how!"

4 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

Is saying "thank you" and "your assesment is absolutely correct" ungrateful? How?
I am not even disagreeing with anyone, after all, my opinion is irrelevant given I am compared to a child in a dismissive manner.

Now if we are done flexing that your rank is bigger than mine, can we please skip to the point at which we discuss the subject rather than me and my rank? I really hope we got that out of the way, I fully acknowledge it, I am not denying it, it is stated in the OP.

I concede that basis of the argument in "I think there is more than one person that missed out on that power wxp train experience and find myself lacking some gains from that and want a bit of free candy" was little off.

But let's lead with 

21 hours ago, koxsos.6258 said:

I have an unpleasant impression that I will likely collect most pip related rewards prior to even reaching silver regardless whether I manage to occasionally flip the SM and manage to fulfill a wxp reward objective every 5 minutes or I am just AFKing and then finding a camp to flip every 10 minutes.

Do you disagree? Silver's probably low, I am actually somewhat nearing it, so I might most definitelly get silver prior to finishing a a single full leg set, even if it means earning almost as much WXP as I have earned so far in total, I will inevitably get there.
Let's change that to gold.

My point is, I think I would be more excited to grind up on those karma trains which honestly means I remain mostly mentally afk and just press F and hit lord and repeat, which is still kinda meh, but nevertheless I would deal with that for the sake of having a better outlook on improving the pip gain at reasonable rate while at it.
I mean I already try to lead them if there is a position of command available, for the commanding pips I went as far as actually buying the tag for the sake of more pips back in the distant past.

Do you think people would be better motivated to participate more actively provided there is a return in form of a better pip gain available earlier on?

Would you make any changes? Would you say the system as is is in the scope of pip gains related to WvW rank is perfect?
Would you prefer it were more difficult or easier? Why?

Would it hurt you personally to squish the pip gain progression? How?

Do you perhaps think there could be more sources of pip acquisition to help motivate people to do things that matter? Embracing simplicity, war score probably is the best indicator, but how does an individual really affect the war score? In the end flipping that boring but doable camp back constantly after a big zerg runs through might be the best source of contribution an individual can come up with on their own without grouping.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
5 hours ago, koxsos.6258 said:

Now if we are done flexing that your rank is bigger than mine, can we please skip to the point at which we discuss the subject rather than me and my rank?

My rank being higher or lower than yours is irrelevant and changes about nothing I said. I didn't bring that up anyways.

I can't be bothered to read any of the other stuff if you keep bringing that up.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
7 hours ago, koxsos.6258 said:

We've told you how the pip gain progression is already leaning to lower ranks, with 2500 ranks getting you almost twice as much as the next 8500 ranks.

Its just that you refuse to accept it because apparently thats not enough for you.

I do want easy leggies, they did make that happen in WvW. It is kinda why I am here. It's literally in the OP. As well as reason why I would not play otherwise.

Which is  the actual issue in your case. The way this content rewards specific items seems to attract players which are not interested in the content but only the reward.

I said no such thing.

Sure you did. You insinuated that players with a higher rank gained this rank via easier methods. Methods which have been unavailable for a LONG time.

I expect no approval, I specifically stated I got that as a response from someone who was a high rank. I did not even make it up, it was something something there "Used to be better wxp boosters and bigger rewards and we ranked up a lot during that time. It is not that great now."

Yes, and PvE has had better and worse farms which get balanced constantly. Like Istan getting nerfed or Aquatic fractal farming, which was possible to yield up to 60-100 gold per hour if done professionally.

That still doesn't mean that the majority of players did this, nor that the majority of gold came from there and least of all that it is the point to balance around.

Not all that encouraging for people trying to get into it.

But you aren't trying to get into it are you? You said so yourself: you are here only for the rewards. I have yet to see a single argument from you how any of this benefits the game mode or how any improvements could be made.

Not even that, you are only interested in 1 very specific reward on top of all: skirmish tickets.

I'd say, if this reward design is unattractive to a player with your goal and approach, it seems to be doing its job just fine.

Unless I am years in, I don't get even gains.

Yes, that's how a long-term game mode like WvW is built up.

And it is absolutely great that you have better rewards once you invested years into it, certainly, I just wish those were a bit more visual rewards which do not really relate as much to relative time investments to get your weekly chests done.
I am not after your prestige, I am literally here just to farm up easy leggies. It is in the OP.

and most players here are telling you that this type of player approach with this sole focus is undesired in this mode.

It's great that you can get what you want from the mode so far, but you are a let's call it "one day fly". You'll be gone from the mode long before you've interacted with it to any meaningful extent. As will any other players just "farming" for the rewards to check off.

As such, not really a player type which needs consideration for the long term health of the mode.

Squishing +5 pips into 100 - 500 bracket would help that along a bit, it might even have me a bit more excited to follow a tag in karma farm or be that tag myself, but yeah I just want things without the blood sweat and tears for literally years and therefore commit heresy.

I think having a player who enjoys doing the above is great. Lucky enough there are players who do that who are not only out for the rewards as primary motivator.

Would prefer it not being a waste and it would serve as a really good motive to get involved a lot more given the tradeoff was reasonable and not 'irrational' as you put it.
I hope I am not twisting your words on this, but it would seem like you are backing my point.
I would prefer for people to "come for the pips, stay for the content, cause it can be fun, here's how!"

Your suggestions are the opposite though. You want players to come for the pips and stay for the pips via increasing the pips so far that it becomes more lucrative to do so.

There are tons of ways beyond pips or skirmish tickets which could be boosted. The type of player who solely focuses on skirmish tickets or only pips is not the go-to person for how rewards should be handled.

Is saying "thank you" and "your assesment is absolutely correct" ungrateful? How?
I am not even disagreeing with anyone, after all, my opinion is irrelevant given I am compared to a child in a dismissive manner.

Now if we are done flexing that your rank is bigger than mine, can we please skip to the point at which we discuss the subject rather than me and my rank? I really hope we got that out of the way, I fully acknowledge it, I am not denying it, it is stated in the OP.

Okay, let's focus on your suggestions or complaint again:

No, front loading rewards, and in this case a very specific reward only, would not be beneficial for the mode. It would likely encourage even more players with your attitude to jump into the game mode with 1 sole purpose: farm. This game modes main objective is not farming legendary gear. Changing reward design so it is makes no sense.

I concede that basis of the argument in "I think there is more than one person that missed out on that power wxp train experience and find myself lacking some gains from that and want a bit of free candy" was little off.

By now, pretty much every player in WvW missed out on the short, compared to the total age of the game, time period where wxp gains were higher. That said, let's not pretend as though the wxp in EotM was infinite. Players still farmed for a very very very long time to get high ranks, it was just shorter/different than now.

It's the same now: semi afk flipping camps for participation upkeep rewards far less wxp than roaming, roaming rewards less wxp than small scale, small scale rewards less wxp than blob ppt (karma train) and blob ppt rewards less wxp than blob fighting (if winning and having opponents).

Before asking for high wxp gains, maybe you should shift to actually making use of the higher wxp play-styles.

But let's lead with 

Do you disagree? Silver's probably low, I am actually somewhat nearing it, so I might most definitelly get silver prior to finishing a a single full leg set, even if it means earning almost as much WXP as I have earned so far in total, I will inevitably get there.
Let's change that to gold.

My point is, I think I would be more excited to grind up on those karma trains which honestly means I remain mostly mentally afk and just press F and hit lord and repeat, which is still kinda meh, but nevertheless I would deal with that for the sake of having a better outlook on improving the pip gain at reasonable rate while at it.
I mean I already try to lead them if there is a position of command available, for the commanding pips I went as far as actually buying the tag for the sake of more pips back in the distant past.

The irony of all this is:

You are so focused on your wxp rank, pip gain and skirmish tickets that you are missing out on a great game mode.

I'm sitting on 29k tickets atm and I could care less if they removed them or if they grew to 100k or more. No that is no flex, that is telling you: skirmish tickets stop mattering after a certain point to most players who enjoy this mode.

Do you think people would be better motivated to participate more actively provided there is a return in form of a better pip gain available earlier on?

I think people who are not motivated now to enjoy the game mode would only be forced to play it for the higher rewards received. Enjoyment for the actual mode would be secondary or nonexistent.

Would you make any changes? Would you say the system as is is in the scope of pip gains related to WvW rank is perfect?
Would you prefer it were more difficult or easier? Why?

There is 1 possible change which I personally considered:

- change specific rewards to a fixed amount unrelated to rank. Mostly gated rewards (in this case skirmish tickets) as to better allow balance around such rewards

- increase not gated rewards as rank grows more

Simple reasoning: higher rank players will mostly not care about if it takes 10 or 15 hours to get their max skirmish tickets, both because they likely already have enough or ideally because they engage with the mode long enough anyway. Meanwhile newer players would be boosted/slowed to an even playing field as far as gated materials are concerned.

Finally the developers could balance around a fixed gain instead of having to take into account the gains on multiple different reward levels.

The incentive to keep players around long-term would be done via better and increasing gold, material and overall repeat-able rewards increase from higher rank.

Do you perhaps think there could be more sources of pip acquisition to help motivate people to do things that matter? Embracing simplicity, war score probably is the best indicator, but how does an individual really affect the war score? In the end flipping that boring but doable camp back constantly after a big zerg runs through might be the best source of contribution an individual can come up with on their own without grouping.

All reward design should encourage engagement with the mode and engage player behavior with the mode. Rewards are no replacement for game-play and fun, so that should be more the primary focus.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

First of all, thank you for putting time into it and picking me apart.

5 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Sure you did. You insinuated that players with a higher rank gained this rank via easier methods. Methods which have been unavailable for a LONG time.

I would still insist I did not insinuate anything and that you should assume positive intent here and there once in a while.

Allow me to spell it out, "you are not all cheaters just because you played longer than me, I am just looking at the mountain of rank I would need to get to attain a certain goal I set for the sake of pips and well, it is so high that I will not need it by the time I get there and therefore I see less and less point in it."

5 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

You are so focused on your wxp rank, pip gain and skirmish tickets that you are missing out on a great game mode.

Welp, you are not wrong there.
The only time I got "good fights" recently was during the beta switcheroo.
I had different compatriots daily in spite of setting a fixed server and they were all competent, well behaved, willing to cooperate and we did not run into a wall of meta zerg, at least not often.
And we had fun.
Now it's back to EB queue at 20 with one zerg farming bags while BLs get picked apart and zerg comes to raze you if you try anything elsewhere, cause they don't want to fight that EB tag.
I am trying to have fun on the journey rather than focus on the destination, and there are many ways to achieve that, but it does remain difficult at times.
I am sure big part of it is because I suck personally, but it is what it is.

5 hours ago, koxsos.6258 said:

I am just looking at the mountain of rank I would need to get to attain a certain goal I set for the sake of pips and well, it is so high that I will not need it by the time I get there and therefore I see less and less point in it.

If that's the case then why are you worried over it? if anything it's a bonus if you finish getting what you want before you reach whatever rank goal you had set. I would also advise not setting a goal above 1395 ranks.

Also a lot of the wvw exclusives are set pretty low. The sublime mistforged set use to be between 1200-2000 rank minimums but is now at 500, and isn't even required for the legendary armor as you can use the regular ascended version, the legendary backpiece is at 350, even maximum points you needed for masteries was rank squished years ago.

Now more recently we've had 2 permanent pips added to everyone, that's including to rank, which if you look at it you needed rank 4095 for 5 pips before but now you only need 2545 ranks, and even at rank 1395 out of 10000 ranks gets you 4 out of 8 pips from rank. The rank squish for pips already happened last month. They've also been running wvw bonus weeks like once a month for the past 6 months or so, including this week for dec.

I mean if you're going to ask for more, at least ask for more skirmish tickets per week....

Lastly, if you don't want to put in the time and dedication to actually play wvw... why do you deserve it's exclusive rewards?

Last lastly, 340 ranks in 8 years, why do I feel like even the people doing just wvw dailies for 8 years would have a higher rank than that...

• Thanks 1

And we had fun.

This is the key to it. WvW does reward better now than in any golden age. I am not certain what that player was referring to when they referenced that. The recent pip change (outside of the outnumbered change) has added more pips for all players and there have been a number of times when ANet has reduced the requirements on skills and gear and front loaded more abilities to account for differences in playtime. I admit I was finishing my third set of leggy armor when they announced the armory and realized I was done with that journey where I was planning on needing to do it 30 more times. So they do reduce time it takes over time. Not a fan of zerg play but do zerg surf at times, if you are looking to gain more than running with a group does reward better. It's always been a longer road as a roamer or havoc, but you can still get there.  If you are looking for smaller group play find a roamer / havoc guild or even a group and try and join them and you can pick up tips/tactics on why they do things they do.

As others said, if you are looking to max reward then should look into infusions, guild buffs from the tavern for extra WvW rank/rewards, and convert gold to gems and gamble on chests for boosters. Also make sure you maximize time in WvW during events and special weeks when you get bonus WxP.

But in the end its about time played for the most part and having fun. If your not having fun then that's where I would question the value of time spent. Good hunting!

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
forum double spacing bug
35 minutes ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

The recent pip change (outside of the outnumbered change) has added more pips for all players and there have been a number of times when ANet has reduced the requirements on skills and gear and front loaded more abilities to account for differences in playtime.

It actually did help a lot with my alt account. Granted that's level 15 and definitely not considering Legendaries on it xD

More telling issues for new players would be mounts (cannot get lance until the end). Carrying supply is also kind of a pain, but w/e.

17 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

I mean if you're going to ask for more, at least ask for more skirmish tickets per week....

Yes please! 😄
Even if it would be something like 10 skirm tickets in repeatable chest, it would still be more encouraging than "k, no more tickets for you".

Edited by koxsos.6258