Plush Raptor Skin

9 minutes ago, Head Kracker.4790 said:

I really love the gryphon and raptor plush skins, but does anyone else feel like the raptor one looks so close to Yoshi in its base dye? I swear I'm one SFX away from smash bro flashbacks.

I hadn't thought about that, but I suppose it sort-of does.

Is it weird that makes me want to use it with the 'armadillo' roller beetle which I've dyed blue?

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, ollbirtan.2915 said:

It's honestly so out of place and immersion breaking.....Even pepegasus wasn't as bad. 

What immersion is there left to break? ANet threw that out the window long ago. This game is a hodgepodge of different aesthetics and themes.

Honestly I find it kinda cute. I agree with @Mungrul.9358, it gives me major Toy Story vibes. Won't be buying it, but it is very well-executed and the textures are fantastic.

• Like 10

I am happy with it.  I even have a canon, rp reason why it exists.  My necro-scourge who is a cheerful sort of person, always has been, had a bad encounter waaaay back when in the early days of the game where others got squicked out by her blood minion, to the point she stopped using it.  So she's aware that some people like an insulating layer.  She's also icly a talented tailor.  Since becoming a scourge and learning to harness the life-force energy that's seeped into the world's minerals over the eons, her mounts have tended to be stone constructs (eg lithosol).  For Wintersday she has decided to sew a cover for her lithosol raptor.  Enter the plush!

Plenty immersive for me.  And I love the floppy spikes and the gotta-hug-it nubbliness of the fabric.  The dye channels even work nicely.  Kudos, artist.

Edited by Donari.5237
Curse this forum's enforced extra spacing after I hit enter.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2021 at 9:16 AM, ollbirtan.2915 said:

It's honestly so out of place and immersion breaking.....Even pepegasus wasn't as bad. 

If that's what it takes to break your immersion, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I mean we already have tixx making animated toys that are minis. Princess dolls. Not to mention princess doll tonics.  The idea of a mount that's actually made as a giant toy doesn't break my immersion at all.  I don't think anyone is looking at it as a living thing.  We have watchknights that are made to look like enemies, why not a toy that functions like a real mount?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

If that's what it takes to break your immersion, I'm not sure what to tell you.  I mean we already have tixx making animated toys that are minis. Princess dolls. Not to mention princess doll tonics.  The idea of a mount that's actually made as a giant toy doesn't break my immersion at all.  I don't think anyone is looking at it as a living thing.  We have watchknights that are made to look like enemies, why not a toy that functions like a real mount?

Tixx and all the Xmas stuff is largely visible only during the event - which is OK. But the raptor skin will stay. that makes a huge difference. 

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, ollbirtan.2915 said:

Tixx and all the Xmas stuff is largely visible only during the event - which is OK. But the raptor skin will stay. that makes a huge difference. 

But Tixx exists in this world and his minis like the princess doll and the toy ventari mini still exist after Wintersday as do their tonics.  Almost since launch I've been able to walk around as a princess doll.  So what's the difference that this exists after Wintersday when Wintersday exists in this world. Wouldn't it be unlikely that the things you bought and used, the gifts you got during Wintersday would be there after Wintersday?  If it exists in the world for 3 weeks, it exists in the world.  That's it. You may not like it, but that has nothing to do with immersion.  I mmmerse myself in the world that exists. I don't predetermine what that world should be, based on a set if arbitrary criteria.

Do you know what breaks immersion? When you kill a deer and it drops a mace.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Donari.5237 said:

I am happy with it.  I even have a canon, rp reason why it exists.  My necro-scourge who is a cheerful sort of person, always has been, had a bad encounter waaaay back when in the early days of the game where others got squicked out by her blood minion, to the point she stopped using it.  So she's aware that some people like an insulating layer.  She's also icly a talented tailor.  Since becoming a scourge and learning to harness the life-force energy that's seeped into the world's minerals over the eons, her mounts have tended to be stone constructs (eg lithosol).  For Wintersday she has decided to sew a cover for her lithosol raptor.  Enter the plush!

Plenty immersive for me.  And I love the floppy spikes and the gotta-hug-it nubbliness of the fabric.  The dye channels even work nicely.  Kudos, artist.

I love that!

My elementalist made her own mounts because she finds them more convenient (and an elemental springer doesn't keep trying to eat her leaves), but your story is a lot more original. 🙂

39 minutes ago, Barrett.7912 said:

Hi, I am new player and I don't understand the "getting it with a key" concept. Can you elaborate, please? I love this skin!

It's short for Black Lion Chest Key. Black Lion Chests are GW2's loot boxes. The chests themselves drop in the game and are tradable, but you need a key to open them and those are account bound and mainly come from the gem store, but there are also ways to get them in-game for free. (The only reliable and easily repeatable one being to replay the level 10 personal story on a new character once a week.)

One of the items in the current chest is this raptor skin. They often do that with the expensive mount skins sold individually in the gem store. The majority of things in the chests are either tradable or available another way, so if you want those things it's generally better to buy them directly than to buy keys and hope you get lucky, but if you've got free keys from in-game or you're opening chests anyway there's a chance you could get it without having to buy it.

Each chest also has a small number of items which are account bound on acquire and aren't available any other way. (The current ones are the Ebonhawke Crossbow Pistol Skin and Lunar Backpack and Glider.) If you want those the only option is to open chests and hope you get lucky, or collect 60 black lion statuettes from opening chests then wait for them to be available on the statuette vendor, which usually takes a few months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1