If you're playing WvW for rewards of any sort, you're doing it wrong.

Shroud.2307

Rewards are integral to any area of the game per ANet's vision of player freedom to progress where they're most comfortable.

WvW does have gear and material progression, but because players have a much more direct control over that progression, it needs to be over a longer period of time.
Ie. If rewards came as easily and significantly as they do in overland PvE, WvW would be the most efficient place to farm because people could organize to trade objectives, kills, etc., much like what happened with EOTM.

ANet may have some questionable balancing decisions in this regard, but the point is that if players were rewarded as significantly as they demand it would ruin any semblance of competition (which is already struggling due to a lack of purpose).

If what motivates you to play is rewards, there are plenty of options to pursue. The reason WvW should not be the place is because it's purpose is strategy, combat, and camaraderie. Rewards are there only as a means to progress people who choose to spend all their time in WvW, not as the focal purpose of playing it at all.

Additional note,
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think low effort should mean low rewards. If all you do is AFK and flip Supply Camps off cooldown, or lurk inside objectives to repair things, you're contributing basically nothing and in some cases even being harmful. Roaming may have the worst contrast of effort/reward ratio, but WvW is generally meant for group play - and thus participating in that is the most effective way to earn rewards. Join a open Squad or create one, throw on some boosters, and see what your group can achieve. Who knows, maybe you'll even have some fun.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12

I haven't heard anyone asking for comparable rewards to pve maps, mostly just comparable to their time and effort. Trading kills with another blob wouldn't be the most efficient way to farm, especially for anyone dying too soon or not being able to tag everything. 

You're lying to yourself if you claim you're not playing for reward. You're going to want some skins or materials and I guarantee people in your guild want rewards, see how hardcore they are about playing in your utopian WvW with no rewards. 

If people are out hitting camps and supply, they're contributing. You might want to reconsider how useful you are running with a blob back capping paper towers for a couple of hours straight. If someone lurks inside an objective and takes it with no team deaths, that's great. What are you doing? 

People play for fun and rewards at the same time. Feel free to tell people how to play though. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I actually disagree. While I think you should never put rewards before the content I don't think low rewards make it better. EOTM and dungeons are dead after all.  Like Kash said

1 hour ago, kash.9213 said:

mostly just comparable to their time and effort.

It's simply more of a matter of respect, that they should make good on WvW being a "cornerstone of the game". This being an MMO means materials are always going to matter. And the fear of leeching should not overwhelm that-- we shouldn't all be punished because some people abuse the system.

Obviously people that don't care for the game mode and aren't here to contribute should be a low priority. I've always felt the game as a whole promotes leeching. It's like those people in Open World that would rather tag more mobs than help fallen teammates. Or just do as little possible to succeed. Yes, those ways should be not encouraged, but on the other hand, you also need something easy to encourage people to actually come in. Gatekeeping is bad. Maybe 9/10 people come to just farm their gift of battle. But the 1/10 is what matters.

But that doesn't mean WvW shouldn't be rewarding. It just means that certain low effort activities shouldn't be rewarded as much.. And yes, there's been some good ideas that have been pushed, even if they need work.

For example, a long time ago, I remember someone needed a POI that was a keep, but couldn't get it. They ended up tagging for it. Did they come back? I dunno, but they contributed quite a bit because they wanted something.

And there is no doubt the current system is bad to new players with so many things locked. It's very easy when you have full legendary armor to say nobody needs rewards. Well, of course you won't care; you're already past that point.

Which is why I've always suggested to compress the rewards in reward tracks. That makes certain undesirable elements out faster, while also putting less crap in my inventory.

I would argue that even if WvW rewards were open to that of open world it would not always be the same because WvW has the much greater chance of failure. Yes, when there's no population,. you can karma train and have no chance of failure. But we're not balancing around that if we're going for alliances, right?

edit: I think the Emblems were a good move too. It takes  a bit more effort to get the rings than the armor. Of course, any WvW player is going to have too many of them due to the ease of getting them, but it's still a good start. Now if only we could do things with them...

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, kash.9213 said:

snips

hes a diamond legend, you should get in line.

jokes aside, i get where you're coming from OP. thing is the community asked for more rewards when there were none. i think rewards in wvw should allow you to mostly do wvw and then grind a bit in pve to get a few shinys every now and then. i agree that wvw shouldn't be comparable to pve cuz that would attract a bunch of ppl who don't care about wvw at all.

• Like 3

I got legendary armor, a legendary backpiece and two legendary rings via WvW. To me, it is quite rewarding. Also, the reward tracks are a nice way to shorten the time to obtain some grindy PvE items. For example, I got my significant otter infusion mostly via WvW, as well as some living world currencies.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Rewards are integral to any area of the game per ANet's vision of player freedom to progress where they're most comfortable.

WvW does have gear and material progression, but because players have a much more direct control over that progression, it needs to be over a longer period of time.
Ie. If rewards came as easily and significantly as they do in overland PvE, WvW would be the most efficient place to farm because people could organize to trade objectives, kills, etc., much like what happened with EOTM.

ANet may have some questionable balancing decisions in this regard, but the point is that if players were rewarded as significantly as they demand it would ruin any semblance of competition (which is already struggling due to a lack of purpose).

If what motivates you to play is rewards, there are plenty of options to pursue. The reason WvW should not be the place is because it's purpose is strategy, combat, and camaraderie. Rewards are there only as a means to progress people who choose to spend all their time in WvW, not as the focal purpose of playing it at all.

Additional note,
Maybe I'm crazy, but I think low effort should mean low rewards. If all you do is AFK and flip Supply Camps off cooldown, or lurk inside objectives to repair things, you're contributing basically nothing and in some cases even being harmful. Roaming may have the worst contrast of effort/reward ratio, but WvW is generally meant for group play - and thus participating in that is the most effective way to earn rewards. Join a open Squad or create one, throw on some boosters, and see what your group can achieve. Who knows, maybe you'll even have some fun.

People will play for whatever reason they want to. Unless you are going to pay others to play your way then you really don't have any call to inform them on how you want them to play. For some players it will be for fun, for some it will be WxP or rank, some will be for gear and others for pure bragging rights, some will be all the above and more. This is an MMO, aka a time sync. People spend time here to be entertained in however they would like to find that entertainment. Most people that play MMOs are also looking for that feel of progression which can be translated in many different ways and in some forms of the above and in other ways. It’s not up to me to tell the player that feels that sense of progression comes from loot that they are wrong, because they aren't if that's one of the things that provides that feel to them. Each to their own there.

As far as your point on risk/reward, based on your definition than squad play should pay nothing as it provides the least risk. You used a camp flip as an example so let’s go with that. So it was more of a value when 50 took a camp over 1? Who risked more? Now today the 50 were overall rewarded more be that in WxP and or loot for less effort so I am not sure I would use that as an example. Let’s go the other way, was it more risky for 3 to take a keep over 50? Again, no but the 50 were paid more overall. Now only when the 50 meant another 50 does their risk increase, so again over a curve there is less risk whenever its squad play. Now I am not saying we shouldn’t have squad play. Have said overtime we need all levels for the game to excel, but when people try and push a version over another, that’s where I will question. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Additional note,

What is the point of all this? 

I've not seen or heard of anyone asking for turning wvw into some "efficient place to farm", nor will it ever turn into some farm zone even if they did improve rewards.... However, players have asked for improved rewards, and wvw should get improved rewards. Irenio even mentioned improving rewards to be more in line to PvE, but not as extensive.

And to think improving rewards would "ruin any semblance of competition" in some way is rather silly. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I feel like some of you missing my point.

I'm not saying "play the way I want you to", nor am I saying WvW should give no rewards. I thought I was pretty clear, but to put it another way,

What ever you want you can get from WvW, but it will take more time than it might elsewhere. Increasing rewards isn't inherently bad, but it is easy to manipulate. And if ANet decided to do so people would exploit in some way and subsequently have it taken away (XP removal from wall repairing is a great example).

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Swagger.1459 said:

What is the point of all this? 

I've not seen or heard of anyone asking for turning wvw into some "efficient place to farm", nor will it ever turn into some farm zone even if they did improve rewards.... However, players have asked for improved rewards, and wvw should get improved rewards. Irenio even mentioned improving rewards to be more in line to PvE, but not as extensive.

And to think improving rewards would "ruin any semblance of competition" in some way is rather silly. 

I mean, there is a literal 11 page thread complaining about XP being removed from repairing. Lots of comments in there tell of how people view their time in WvW as only doing anything for the rewards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Shroud.2307 said:

I feel like some of you missing my point.

I'm not saying "play the way I want you to", nor am I saying WvW should give no rewards. I thought I was pretty clear, but to put it another way,

What ever you want you can get from WvW, but it will take more time than it might elsewhere. Increasing rewards isn't inherently bad, but it is easy to manipulate. And if ANet decided to do so people would exploit in some way and subsequently have it taken away (XP removal from wall repairing is a great example).

I get that, reward rate is a shaky fine line I've seen destroy pvp in other games (or kill off a game entirely). This game is different from how I've seen it go down before though. I played an mmo that was pretty standard in that each game mode had it's own gear progression for appropriate stats, becoming the new best in slot for that mode earned by points from kills and objectives. that was heavily exploited and that game never recovered from it. We don't have to grind for pvp stats and kill trading would probably be a huge step back in kill/points rate realistically with how WvW normally plays out. I don't see the Silverwastes or other meta event crowds switching to WvW if rewards were even brought up to par, it would be too uncertain of a haul each day. 

I'm mostly fine with where we're at right now but it can feel kind of like a budget brand game mode when we consider our need for game wide items and materials and our WvW exclusive items collections not being a light task compared to our kill and objective rates that we can maintain any given day depending on the matchup. 

I mostly agree with your premise that WvW players should primarily be playing for the social aspect rather than filling our inventory, but that's an easier idea to get behind when your game mode isn't cut off from the rest of the game. 

4 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

Well, isn't it exactly this that people are concerned about? I think you're making a mistake assuming that people want equal rewards (though an equal chance to play the true endgame of trading-post tag would be nice). What people want is some sort of comparability.

Why? Because the balance as it is now impedes players freedom to progress where they are comfortable and makes the WvW progression unintuitive. Players are recommended to wait with WvW, players farm for their WvW stuff outside of WvW and players that are comfortable and wants to progress here are simply encouraged to go elsewhere because the difference is so large that you are doing yourself a disservice trying to gear for WvW in WvW. You can sell your memories, throw away your tickets, marks and badges and just get what you need from PvE (or get it from sPvP where you never even use it).

• Like 1

started playing wvw after years of playing (started in early access) for the purpose of getting legendary armor. I'm actually having a fun time in wvw and I didn't esxpect it. Play for rewards and it works out, go figure.

I would say that I think the payout of skirmish tickets is a bit off. To cap weekly, you need to play wvw way too much, and beyond that you get a faster rate of return the more you play (until your cap). This reward structure is the opposite of every other tried tested and true reward strurcture in every other MMORPG (that gives the best reward at the beginning with diminishing returns). The way GW2 sucks for anyone who wants to enjoy other aspects of GW2, play other games, have life responsibilities etc.

Finally, I'll add that legendary weapons have required the Gift of Battle since their inception, which means that a large number of people will play WvW just for the rewards (as there is no other way to make their legendary).

• Like 5

Saying people don't think about rewards while playing wvw is similar to saying blobs go to dead bls for the fights.  It's tough to say either with a straight face, unless you're so naive that you actually believe either is true. 

Saying the individual (off time, newbie, guildless or just a spawn residing result of what wvw has become) player is low effort for flipping a sentry every 5 mins whilst completely ignoring the aforementioned dead bl fight seeking blob members who are so busy participating that they can sleep while a wall comes down (in record time now) on the same bl that lower effort player is on is also a one sided way of thinking.

At the end of the day everyone plays for their own reasons and in their own way, that's just how it is.  We shouldn't argue that people do their thing, we should be thankful, regardless of what they do while there, that they still populate the mode.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, subversiontwo.7501 said:

Well, isn't it exactly this that people are concerned about? I think you're making a mistake assuming that people want equal rewards (though an equal chance to play the true endgame of trading-post tag would be nice). What people want is some sort of comparability.

Why? Because the balance as it is now impedes players freedom to progress where they are comfortable and makes the WvW progression unintuitive. Players are recommended to wait with WvW, players farm for their WvW stuff outside of WvW and players that are comfortable and wants to progress here are simply encouraged to go elsewhere because the difference is so large that you are doing yourself a disservice trying to gear for WvW in WvW. You can sell your memories, throw away your tickets, marks and badges and just get what you need from PvE (or get it from sPvP where you never even use it).

That's not what most complaints about the "bad" reward system are about tho. I'm inclined to agree that exotic (stat selectable) and ascended gear should be more acessible via WvW, so new players who want to play the game primarily for WvW can skip the PvE part, if they want to do so.

However almost all complaints regarding the reward system are about tickets - or with other words - about getting easy legendary gear. Something that is a) completely optional and not required to be competitive whatsoever b) not supposed to be something a new player can scoop up within a few weeks and c) doesn't even provide long term rewards, because once a player has all the legendary gear he needs, tickets become pretty worthless.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

well, i partially aggree, but only to a certain extent. I´m totally with you that the main focus of WvW should be competition (which is a result of all you mentioned). However, what´s the point of a competition, if there is nothing to compete about?

The point to not make the rewards too easy, or their value too high, in order to prevent things like "afk-farming" is totally valid. However, there needs to be an incentive, that attracts people to actually play "for the win". 
The current system doesn´t really incentivize winning a matchup  in any way, since winning a match doesn´t give you anything in return. It currently only determines the next matchup, which (with the current server system) can sometimes even be a thing you probably want to avoid intentionally (well, it feels like servers tanking themselves down to avoid certain matchups has decreased recently, but it´s still possible and to some extent relatable). 

Also, i think it would be difficult to balance out ongoing rewards based on effort. There´s so much that can be considered useful, how do you determine which of those actions is worth more or less?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

I mostly agree with your premise that WvW players should primarily be playing for the social aspect rather than filling our inventory, but that's an easier idea to get behind when your game mode isn't cut off from the rest of the game. 

This right here is the thing for me, and maybe it's that I'm taking it too literally that's the problem.
I feel like a lot of people are thirsting for rewards because they say things like they're done playing WvW, or what's the point of doing this or that if it doesn't give them loot.
And it frustrates and upsets me because I feel like fun for a lot of these people is dependent on what they gain rather than what they experience. Like, I did a lot of EOTM, but I was never there because of loot, I was there because it was social and I loved teaching people things and shooting the breeze. So it's a little depressing to me when I see people talk like they don't care about this.

But, some of what has been said in this thread has made me reconsider some of my thoughts on rewards, or maybe allowed me to better articulate my feelings, so that's good at least.
I never intended for it to be a play this way or you're wrong, or rewards are pointless, but rather that balancing it can be difficult, and it's better to just chill with friends and not focus on what you're getting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

31 minutes ago, Shroud.2307 said:

This right here is the thing for me, and maybe it's that I'm taking it too literally that's the problem.
I feel like a lot of people are thirsting for rewards because they say things like they're done playing WvW, or what's the point of doing this or that if it doesn't give them loot.
And it frustrates and upsets me because I feel like fun for a lot of these people is dependent on what they gain rather than what they experience. Like, I did a lot of EOTM, but I was never there because of loot, I was there because it was social and I loved teaching people things and shooting the breeze. So it's a little depressing to me when I see people talk like they don't care about this.

But, some of what has been said in this thread has made me reconsider some of my thoughts on rewards, or maybe allowed me to better articulate my feelings, so that's good at least.
I never intended for it to be a play this way or you're wrong, or rewards are pointless, but rather that balancing it can be difficult, and it's better to just chill with friends and not focus on what you're getting.

The twisted part to a lot of these threads is I think most of us that are still here, after; realizing there is nothing to be gained to win, having very little new development, pretty much no new maps, little change to game mechanics, and worse rewards then other game modes, and having lost other gamers due to said issues are still here because we have fun. Had a new player join WvW and ask, if there is nothing to be gained in winning why play, and my only response was because it's fun, its fluid beasuse players drive the content, and we don't want to lose. To that player they got it, but using the same line on other new players I have seen them just go to. Personally I wanted them all to stay figuring queues time can be balanced by just adding more servers/shards where as when you lose players, you just have less people to play with. We seem to error on the side of fear of the AFKer where in other game modes, nothing is done about them, we need the game code to encourage inclusion and not remove features from active players while trying to combat them.  But, thats me even as a roamer/havoc player I would prefer more people on all maps, but your mileage will vary. Good hunting and have fun!

On 12/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, Shroud.2307 said:

I mean, there is a literal 11 page thread complaining about XP being removed from repairing. Lots of comments in there tell of how people view their time in WvW as only doing anything for the rewards.

Who cares? None of our concern what other player motives and incentives to play are. You play how you want, others will play how they want. And acting as if it’s some big thing that people are bothered by removal of rewards, pips, whatever… it’s not. Especially since WvW has a crappier low end reward system in the first place.

And it’s also silly to make it seem like the devs have to be so ultra careful with improving rewards or it may upset the competitive balance… WvW isn’t some ultra competitive mode, it’s a casual competitive mode where various maps are dead half the time across servers anyway. 

WvW reward systems leave a lot to desire and we know it, so do the devs. Irenio already mentioned improving rewards, they just have to start implementing them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

On 12/16/2021 at 1:34 AM, Jemmi.6058 said:

I would say that I think the payout of skirmish tickets is a bit off. To cap weekly, you need to play wvw way too much, and beyond that you get a faster rate of return the more you play (until your cap). This reward structure is the opposite of every other tried tested and true reward strurcture in every other MMORPG (that gives the best reward at the beginning with diminishing returns). The way GW2 sucks for anyone who wants to enjoy other aspects of GW2, play other games, have life responsibilities etc.

But then again imagine having to reach cap in PvE, lol. Do all the dailies, fractals, raids, etc. WvW is chill for capping out.

• Like 1

WvW is too broad in terms of objectives compared to PvE and PvP.

In PvE you have a clear and single objective. Enter the raid/fractal/etc, avoid mechanics, kill boss, collect rewards for your legendaries.

In PvP you have a clear and single objective. Enter the ranked match, hope you don't get matched with bots, win the match, collect rewards for your legendaries.

In WvW you can go PPT all day, you can defend, you can escort, you can roam for easy ganks, you can roam for organized duels, you can roam smallscale, you can zerg for PPT, you can zerg for open field scrims, you can GvG, you can harvest synthetic nodes and log out, you can autorun on walls, you can autotreb SMC walls from a near tower. The participation system is common for all these objectives, some aspects have been tuned depending on the activity (see the repair participation thread), but it's difficult to assign an objective reward to each possible WvW activity, because it's impossible to "rank" activities based on an arbitrary effort needed to complete each one.

The result of this is a low common denominator where doing the bare minimum to reach diamond chest is rewarded the same way as capping all keeps 24/7 for the whole week, but I don't see an easy way to tune everything for every playstyle. They could give better rewards and maybe some gold from loot bags, but youhave to consider that if killing players in WvW becomes too lucrative, people will start bagfarming in EBG all day.

I would still slightly increase the skirmish tickets gain (or decrease the requirement) because yes WvW can be braindead to farm, but so can be raids and fractals once you learn the encounter mechanics and find a static group, it's always the same encounters repeated again and again. PvP can be farmed even if you keep losing so in a way it's similar to WvW.

9 minutes ago, Boh.4568 said:

WvW is too broad in terms of objectives compared to PvE and PvP.

In PvE you have a clear and single objective. Enter the raid/fractal/etc, avoid mechanics, kill boss, collect rewards for your legendaries.

In PvP you have a clear and single objective. Enter the ranked match, hope you don't get matched with bots, win the match, collect rewards for your legendaries.

In WvW you can go PPT all day, you can defend, you can escort, you can roam for easy ganks, you can roam for organized duels, you can roam smallscale, you can zerg for PPT, you can zerg for open field scrims, you can GvG, you can harvest synthetic nodes and log out, you can autorun on walls, you can autotreb SMC walls from a near tower. The participation system is common for all these objectives, some aspects have been tuned depending on the activity (see the repair participation thread), but it's difficult to assign an objective reward to each possible WvW activity, because it's impossible to "rank" activities based on an arbitrary effort needed to complete each one.

The result of this is a low common denominator where doing the bare minimum to reach diamond chest is rewarded the same way as capping all keeps 24/7 for the whole week, but I don't see an easy way to tune everything for every playstyle. They could give better rewards and maybe some gold from loot bags, but youhave to consider that if killing players in WvW becomes too lucrative, people will start bagfarming in EBG all day.

I would still slightly increase the skirmish tickets gain (or decrease the requirement) because yes WvW can be braindead to farm, but so can be raids and fractals once you learn the encounter mechanics and find a static group, it's always the same encounters repeated again and again. PvP can be farmed even if you keep losing so in a way it's similar to WvW.

Something i have seen some people suggesting, and i suggested it some times, is to make killing players and doing objectives award either tickets or pips directly (of course, all with proper cooldowns and stuff like that), people that are really participating in WvW would get a bit more rewards that the "Camp Capturers".
Another one i have seen is to allow selling all those Emblems you get (Conqueror, Spike, etc), could be for anything, tickets, boosters, XP, Memories of Battle, etc,. These of course, would have either a daily or weekly limit, kinda like Provisioner Tokens or Festival Weekly Vendors.