Make combo fields great again

Mell.4873

The real problem with combo fields is that they don't stack which mean someones dps rotation can place the wrong combo field for you. The simple fix is to have all combo fields stack and apply all the buffs or conditions.

The next change is the aura skills since most a useless in groups, being hit to achieve a boon it very unrealistic. Why not just provide a boon or condition when attacking much like spirits do for ranger.

Edited by Mell.4873
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

The real problem with combo fields is that they don't stack which mean someones dps rotation can place the wrong combo field for you. The simple fix is to have all combo fields stack and apply all the buffs or conditions.

The next change is the aura skills since most a useless in groups, being hit to achieve a boon it very unrealistic. Why not just provide a boon or condition when attacking much like spirits do for ranger.

+1 on both.

Combo fields used to be the selling point of GW2. When the game was first released, being able to combo or not is what set apart players. No fire field blasting? No might for you. No water field blasting? WvW zerg die. Nowadays, it contributes so little to the overall effectiveness that most people don't even care to combo. I don't even remember the last time a commander ask for a water field or blast. They ask for "engi bubble" instead.

Combo fields need a big buff.

Edited by Sunshine.5014
  • Like 5

Having your own fields be prioritized would fix the issue far better than your suggestion.

Just imagine Necromancers farting out all the fields they already do in sPvP and combo'ing them all at once...

Given that Arenanet refuses to apply real nerfs to Necromancers, your idea would almost literally break sPvP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demented Yak.6105 said:

Comboing with all fields seems way over the top. I can't imagine the ridiculous amount of burning people would get from projectiles on 100 fire fields. Comboing with up to 3 fields or all fields from your party sounds good though.

Aura suggestion is great.

I would go for comboing with every type of field once. That way people can't overwrite your fire field with a poison one, but you also can't get instant 25 might from stacking 9 fire fields. For combo fields of the same kind it doesn't matter with which one you combo. Stats and traits are always taken from the player doing the finisher. Also this would incentivize having different combo fields out, which could increase class and build diversity.

"Only 5 unique combatants can combo with a given combo field." This is another rule I would abolish. The availability of combos has long since been balanced through the availability of combo finishers. Or at least scale this up to 10 players for raids and other 10 man content.

• Like 2

If you control the field you combo in that field if its not still bugged.

Combos dont do strong effect effects is what it comes down to. There needs to be a real look at the blast boons and leap cc for all fields. If the effects are the same for leap and blast then that is a waist of an effect.

Ice field Blast should be a boon (Resolution maybe) or even a barrier frost aura should stay with leap only OR we make the leap a ice burst from the sigil effect.

Ethereal field should be a boon (Alacrity) on blast OR the leap needs to be needs to be a displacement and or gravity effect.

Lighting field should be a Quickness on blast not swiftness (truth be told i think swiftness needs to be cycled out of the boons and +33% should be given to everyone all of the time.) The leap seems fine.

Poison field should be fury on blast. The leap being weakness fits well.

Smoke field the leap needs to be a reveal and a root. Blasting stealth is fine.

Water field the leap needs to be a daze. Blasting water for a aoe heal is fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sunshine.5014 said:

+1 on both.

Combo fields used to be the selling point of GW2. When the game was first released, being able to combo or not is what set apart players. No fire field blasting? No might for you. No water field blasting? WvW zerg die. Nowadays, it contributes so little to the overall effectiveness that most people don't even care to combo. I don't even remember the last time a commander ask for a water field or blast. They ask for "engi bubble" instead.

Combo fields need a big buff.

Very true and believe if they were buffed it would provide a meaningful buff to Elementalist. Right now the whole class seems lost in meta of gw2 with no defining role. 

11 hours ago, Demented Yak.6105 said:

Comboing with all fields seems way over the top. I can't imagine the ridiculous amount of burning people would get from projectiles on 100 fire fields. Comboing with up to 3 fields or all fields from your party sounds good though.

Aura suggestion is great.

It might sound op but would be another boon support playstyle where elite squads would try keep up applicants of fields, it would also be much harder since they are stationary buffs unlike boons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

I would go for comboing with every type of field once. That way people can't overwrite your fire field with a poison one, but you also can't get instant 25 might from stacking 9 fire fields. For combo fields of the same kind it doesn't matter with which one you combo. Stats and traits are always taken from the player doing the finisher. Also this would incentivize having different combo fields out, which could increase class and build diversity.

"Only 5 unique combatants can combo with a given combo field." This is another rule I would abolish. The availability of combos has long since been balanced through the availability of combo finishers. Or at least scale this up to 10 players for raids and other 10 man content.

I think by allowing only one type of field to stack would be fine, that way each class would have a unique application. Like Thief providing smoke or mesmer providing chaos fields.

4 hours ago, Jski.6180 said:

If you control the field you combo in that field if its not still bugged.

Combos dont do strong effect effects is what it comes down to. There needs to be a real look at the blast boons and leap cc for all fields. If the effects are the same for leap and blast then that is a waist of an effect.

Ice field Blast should be a boon (Resolution maybe) or even a barrier frost aura should stay with leap only OR we make the leap a ice burst from the sigil effect.

Ethereal field should be a boon (Alacrity) on blast OR the leap needs to be needs to be a displacement and or gravity effect.

Lighting field should be a Quickness on blast not swiftness (truth be told i think swiftness needs to be cycled out of the boons and +33% should be given to everyone all of the time.) The leap seems fine.

Poison field should be fury on blast. The leap being weakness fits well.

Smoke field the leap needs to be a reveal and a root. Blasting stealth is fine.

Water field the leap needs to be a daze. Blasting water for a aoe heal is fine.

Love this idea, I also thought maybe the fields could combine to provide these boons but I'm sure that would be hard to implement.

6 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Love this idea, I also thought maybe the fields could combine to provide these boons but I'm sure that would be hard to implement.

I just think a leap and blast should not have the same effect. I believe they are more likely place holder effects from the start of the game.

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

They already fixed this, starting with the first class beta a while back you now prioritise your own combo fields over anyone else's. it was a bit buggy for a while, but it seems they ironed it out.

The irony is this change was made for Catalyst in particular.

Well that is good to hear, I still think they need some sort of group buff. It would give some of lesser used weapons on Guardian to shine like the hammer and buff Elementalist alot.