Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Oh Gods! "Blade Runner" Kaineng City is real :(


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

I have just seen Rafe Judkins butcher my favorite Fantasy bookseries The Wheel of Time with the Amazon TV adaptation so I can not be phased anymore by Kaineng all of a sudden looking like Bladerunner.  I am ok with it.  We will have to roll with the punches. 

LOL you have reached the stage of acceptance.

On a more serious note, I do find myself saying "I've made my peace with X" much more often about GW2 these days, rather than actually being happy about stuff. Which is fine for me, of course - I just wonder how many other people share this kind of patience with the game.

  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love it (and I hate Blade Runner beyond its visuals). I think this is exactly where GW2 should be going. It’s never been classic fantasy and the magi tech tropes have been increasing in prominence f

Latest Artwork for New Kaineng City Don't get me wrong, the original "Blade Runner" is one of my all-time favorite movies. But - and sorry to repeat myself - I don't want GW2 to be turned into a

I don't think most players who have been playing GW2 since launch started this game so they would be playing in a cyberpunk universe. I hate this direction. I feel 100% alienated by it, and I'm s

3 hours ago, Tyncale.1629 said:

I have just seen Rafe Judkins butcher my favorite Fantasy bookseries The Wheel of Time with the Amazon TV adaptation so I can not be phased anymore by Kaineng all of a sudden looking like Bladerunner.  I am ok with it.  We will have to roll with the punches. 

I for one like that it is different from the books since if I wanted the books Id just read/listen to them again.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I for one like that it is different from the books since if I wanted the books Id just read/listen to them again.

This makes me curious. I only got partway through the series. The books just kept getting bigger and bigger, and it felt like each chapter was just a revisit of another character stewing in their angst and not moving the story forward, kinda like soap operas do.

Maybe I'd find the series to be everything I initially liked without the stuff that made me abandon the books.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2022 at 11:32 PM, Naxos.2503 said:

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want... A fully urban map. With urban warfare, or urban conflicts at least. It's one of those environemental designs we haven't seen much of beside Amnoon, and that was very tame. I want to see dark alleys with cuthroats. I want to see gang warfare. I want to see factions forced to mingle together despite hating eachother, and sometime failing to maintain civility. 

You and me both, my friend.  Ironically, that would probably do a lot to bring at least the tone of the quests in line with the feel of GW1, for what that might be worth. 

Edited by Lyssia.4637
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lyssia.4637 said:

You and me both, my friend.  Ironically, that would probably do a lot to bring at least the tone of the quests in line with the feel of GW1, for what that might be worth. 

I third this idea. GW2 cities have always failed to have a truly "bad part of town," and having a seedy underbelly to a highly urban environment would be cool. Incidentally, that kind of environment and simmering tension is sort of ageless - it works in high fantasy, current day, and cyberpunk environments as well.

  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The new trailer... oof.

So it's jade tech and eye-kitten green all across Cantha, as feared -- fantastic. 😒

I am really looking forward to it - looked awesome in the trailer! 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The new trailer... oof.

So it's jade tech and eye-kitten green all across Cantha, as feared -- fantastic. 😒

I am sorry that this theme causes you pain 😕 I will attempt to enjoy it enough for both of us 😬 as I am super excited about it 😃

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The new trailer... oof.

So it's jade tech and eye-kitten green all across Cantha, as feared -- fantastic. 😒

Yes and we will surely spend so much time there instead of being AFK in LA or DR 😒

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Finally they setup some sort of story idea.

That's actually an excellent way of looking at it. 👍

3 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

No, listen, I got it all figured out. Neon Cantha is actually just World 3 of Super Adventure Box. [...]

🤣

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2022 at 11:34 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

This makes me curious. I only got partway through the series. The books just kept getting bigger and bigger, and it felt like each chapter was just a revisit of another character stewing in their angst and not moving the story forward, kinda like soap operas do.

Maybe I'd find the series to be everything I initially liked without the stuff that made me abandon the books.

Doubt it. The tv series is very very different from the books. It's not like they just trimmed out things to make it shorter. They completely changed loads of things (even plot-centric ones) that had nothing to do with screentime, making the story worse and making the characters' decisions look completely nonsensical. And added in unnecessary things that weren't in the books. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The new trailer... oof.

So it's jade tech and eye-kitten green all across Cantha, as feared -- fantastic. 😒

Sees the first EoD trailer ->  😥 because there's a ""wrong"" shade of green.

EoD is available for preorder -> instantly -or almost instantly- pays for it(?), while still 😥 

Sees advanced tech that mostly was in the gw2 anyways -> 😥

Sees release trailer -> 😥  "omg as I feared" (how could anyone expect EoD will look exactly like what we've been shown for the past x months?!)

 

I wonder why some people force themselves (or pretend) to -apparently- suffer like that. Nobody is forcing anything on you, but you're still paying for it, you'll play through it and then you'll pick your content to keep replaying. And yet, here you are doing this exact same thing you did for the past few months. I don't get it. What else could you possibly expect here?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sees the first EoD trailer ->  😥 because there's a wrong shade of green.

EoD is available for preorder -> instantly -or almost instantly- pays for it(?), while still 😥 

Sees advanced tech that mostly was in the gw2 anyways -> 😥

Sees release trailer -> 😥  "omg as I feared" (how could anyone expect EoD will look exactly like what we've been shown for the past x months?!)

 

I wonder why some people force themselves (or pretend) to -apparently- suffer like that. Nobody is forcing anything on you, but you're still paying for it, you'll play through it and then you'll pick your content to keep replaying. And yet, here you are doing this exact same thing you did for the past few months. I don't get it. What else could you possibly expect here?

Shhhhhhhh! You don't want them to become self aware! That's how Skynet starts!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even in GW1 the Kaineng part of the game was very different from the rest of the game.,.. on that picture i see 1 digital board (there are probably more in live game). Is THAT what you are worried about?

Remember that GW2 takes place 250 years after GW1... Now compare that digital board with the things we, humans, have done to our planet in the last 100 years.

Edited by GODh.3892
stupid whitelines
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sees the first EoD trailer ->  😥 because there's a wrong shade of green.

EoD is available for preorder -> instantly -or almost instantly- pays for it(?), while still 😥 

Sees advanced tech that mostly was in the gw2 anyways -> 😥

Sees release trailer -> 😥  "omg as I feared" (how could anyone expect EoD will look exactly like what we've been shown for the past x months?!)

[...]

 

I pre-ordered because I want to see the 9.5-year old story arc played out, as this will be the Elder Dragons finale.

And I can complain as much as I desire, it's none of your business. I have the right to dislike certain aspects of EoD, especially if they are so prominent and obviously badly designed (unless you have the eye-sight of a mole or are colorblind).

Not everyone can be - what's the term again that gets used on here these days? ... right - a "fangirl."


P.S. I probably would have perceived jade tech quite positively if it wasn't so goddamn ugly. The unbearable color(s) aside, all the golems/bots look like plastic toys.
 

2 hours ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

Shhhhhhhh! You don't want them to become self aware! That's how Skynet starts!

I am self-aware, thank you. :classic_rolleyes:
 

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I pre-ordered because I want to see the 9.5-year old story arc played out, as this will be the Elder Dragons finale.

And I can complain as much as I desire, it's none of your business. I have the right to dislike certain aspects of EoD, especially if they are so prominent and obviously badly designed (unless you have the eye-sight of a mole or are colorblind).

Not everyone can be - what's the term again that gets used on here these days? ... right - a "fangirl."


P.S. I probably would have perceived jade tech quite positively if it wasn't so goddamn ugly. The unbearable color(s) aside, all the golems/bots look like plastic toys.
 

I am self-aware, thank you. :classic_rolleyes:
 

And here I thought we used the term Whiteknight.

You do know you can watch a content creator play the story you dont have to pay and play it yourself at all mate.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2021 at 11:41 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Latest Artwork for New Kaineng City

Don't get me wrong, the original "Blade Runner" is one of my all-time favorite movies. But - and sorry to repeat myself - I don't want GW2 to be turned into a futuristic Cyberpunk Game. 😢

Make a new game if you must, but stop ruining this one by mixing genres to such extent. :classic_angry:

 

Look up Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty. Also coming out this month.

 

Ship done sailed, boss.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

P.S. I probably would have perceived jade tech quite positively if it wasn't so goddamn ugly. The unbearable color(s) aside, all the golems/bots look like plastic toys.

Maybe, just maybe.... whatever the big bad is for EoD, hopefully blowing it up also blows up the silly green devices too.

I wish I could express it more clearly, but all I can say is that I have a range for what "Guild Wars 2" looks like in my head, and with relatively few exceptions everything ANet has done stays pretty safely within that range. Unfortunately the color saturation on the very first reveal stream placed EoD solidly outside the "this is what GW2 looks like in my head" zone, and from there ANet's had an uphill battle against that to win my trust on EoD's visuals.

It never rose to the level of me questioning whether or not I'd buy EoD - sunk cost had that one in the bag a long time ago. I just hope I'll either be pleasantly surprised by what the EoD actually looks like on my screen, or that I'll just get over it quickly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

You do know you can watch a content creator play the story you dont have to pay and play it yourself at all mate.

Pfft, you must be joking. I haven't played since release to watch someone else run the last mile for me (and, on top of that, completely ruin the experience with unwanted commentary). Are you for real? 😂

What a suggestion...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Sees the first EoD trailer ->  😥 because there's a ""wrong"" shade of green.

EoD is available for preorder -> instantly -or almost instantly- pays for it(?), while still 😥 

Sees advanced tech that mostly was in the gw2 anyways -> 😥

Sees release trailer -> 😥  "omg as I feared" (how could anyone expect EoD will look exactly like what we've been shown for the past x months?!)

Just a little postscript to my last response, because your comment really bugged me:

First of, I can only criticise or praise something I have already seen or tested myself. I have seen the jade tech, I have tested the elite specs, and I have tested the siege turtle - and they are all aspects of EoD I don't find appealing (to say the least). I have also watched the preview of Arborstone and loved it, and I voiced that opinion just as loudly - but I guess that is a fact you decided to ignore, because it does not fit your argumentation (if one can call it that).

Second, you need to learn to differentiate, because - just like in real life - things are never just black and white, although you seem to believe so. Just because I dislike certain aspects of EoD doesn't mean that the other elements in it can't appeal to me, namely map exploration, story, strike missions (I am eager to play those), meta events, new achievements and collections. I just have not done any of those yet, so I can't say anything positive (or negative) about them.

And in all honesty, if you can't stand people "crying", you shouldn't be reading any gaming forums.

  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no denying it's definitely a tangent of what you would expect. I do love sci-fi and cyberpunk Universes but it threw off-guard seeing it pushed so hard in a GW2 title. I much prefer the magic/RP fantasy aspect it's known for. Yes we have subtle technological designs in this game but it's always a background theme.


Either way, this is what we're getting for probably the next 4-5 years.

 

 

  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Despond.2174 said:

There's no denying it's definitely a tangent of what you would expect. I do love sci-fi and cyberpunk Universes but it threw off-guard seeing it pushed so hard in a GW2 title. I much prefer the magic/RP fantasy aspect it's known for. Yes we have subtle technological designs in this game but it's always a background theme.


Either way, this is what we're getting for probably the next 4-5 years.

 

 

It’s not really being pushed hard. There are still many magic/RP fantasy aspects in Cantha, judging from the previews we had so far. 
besides that, this kind of technology has been a part from GW2 since launch. Asura and their technology, Aetherblades, portals, waypoints and so on. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...