Oh Gods! "Blade Runner" Kaineng City is real :(

It might be that the Jade Tech color blends more harmoniously in the Cantha landscapes, or that I've just gotten used to it, but it looks to me that the neon greenish tint seems more tilted to the blue side of the spectrum now instead of the yellow.  Maybe it really did get tweaked a bit from the earlier version.  Whatever the reason it doesn't seem as obnoxious to me in this trailer.

I like the futuristic cityscape, too, at least what we've seen of it here.

Edited by Kaliwenda.3428
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love it (and I hate Blade Runner beyond its visuals). I think this is exactly where GW2 should be going. It’s never been classic fantasy and the magi tech tropes have been increasing in prominence f

Latest Artwork for New Kaineng City Don't get me wrong, the original "Blade Runner" is one of my all-time favorite movies. But - and sorry to repeat myself - I don't want GW2 to be turned into a

I don't think most players who have been playing GW2 since launch started this game so they would be playing in a cyberpunk universe. I hate this direction. I feel 100% alienated by it, and I'm s

9 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

It might be that the Jade Tech color blends more harmoniously in the Cantha landscapes, or that I've just gotten used to it, but it looks to me that the neon greenish tint seems more tilted to the blue side of the spectrum now instead of the yellow.  Maybe it really did get tweaked a bit from the earlier version.  Whatever the reason it doesn't seem as obnoxious to me in this trailer.

I like the futuristic cityscape, too, at least what we've seen of it here.

I always tell my wife, pick the bolder wall color. In a week or two it'll seem tame.

It's amazing what we can get acclimated to. 😄

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
22 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I always tell my wife, pick the bolder wall color. In a week or two on the wall, it'll seem tame.

Colors can look different depending on the colors that surround them. 

• Like 1

To be fair, the jade stuff in the gameplay trailer is super bright. We won't have a good feel for it until we play it on our own rigs. "Bladerunner" style city is also something I'll hold my judgement on until I'm in it. I love that we are walking into a powerful nation this time and hope it causes a different feel than the usual hero must save the day story telling. All in all I'm looking forward to it. I hope Skynet... er, I mean Ashantara is able to enjoy it regardless of reservations. If not, I stand by what I said. I will have enough fun for two 😃

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
7 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

Colors can look different depending on the colors that surround them. 

This is absolutely true.

I’m confident they lied to us, and it was a white dress with gold trim.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
9 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Kaineng trailer is up and it looks even better than expected. A great balance between the maze like original feel and the futuristic style they are pushing towards. Looking like an amazing place to explore 

Absolutely. It looks fantastic! 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
8 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I thought this map couldn't possibly get any worse than the teaser image we got previously.

I was wrong.

Don’t know what you are talking about. But it looks great! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Oooh, I just read the announcement.

Quote: "Take in the view on the top levels, [...]"

Now, that is getting me quite a bit excited. Perhaps there will be something similar to Factions' Kaineng City, which sported not only overpopulated, dangerous slums outside of the majestic city center and the palace, but also dark, dirty and mysterious sewers filled with monsters and even ancient temple locations.

38 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I thought this map couldn't possibly get any worse than the teaser image we got previously.

I was wrong.

😄 Well, yeah... I obviously don't need to repeat my own, similar stance on jade tech and "that green." 😉 But (quote) "change is imminent", so there is still hope! 😋

53 minutes ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Just because one of the maps is more futuristic doesn't mean the game itself will become cyberpunk from now on.

That, of course, is true.

53 minutes ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

The other 3 maps we got weren't cyberpunk in any way.

"In any way" is not accurate, because we saw jade tech even in the Echovald Forest and those little high-tech terminals everywhere. But as you said, it doesn't necessarily have to be the future direction of the whole game (let's hope not).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
21 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

"In any way" is not accurate, because we saw jade tech even in the Echovald Forest and those little high-tech terminals everywhere. But as you said, it doesn't necessarily have to be the future direction of the whole game (let's hope not).

I think to be called cyberpunk it would need a different vibe, like a city full of tech (like Kaineng). So it's either cyberpunk or it isn't, and the other maps (if I remember correctly) are not cyberpunk. 

Just to be sure, I checked the definition of cyberpunk: 

1. a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
3 minutes ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology.

Isn't that basically the background of the new Jade Brotherhood?

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I have a different opinion on this. Blade Runner (the old movie) - was super boooooring. Old Kaineng in GW1 only looked good in certain areas. Majority of areas only had crappy ugly wooden structures.

So this here is definitely a huge improvement. Though it also would have preferred a bit less fancy - more in the style of the Shing Jea monastery. (Less ugly wooden - more traditional chinese with looking beautiful. :D)

But I guess it makes sense to have futuristic design. It is the biggest city (at least it was in GW1) ... and they already made Lion's Arch look much more technically advanced. If there were Asura all the time in between GW1 and GW" - not unusual.

They would have needed a lore/story with total isolation not even with Asura or technical people there + tech being banned. To have different development.

Vertical setup might still be possible - to in include annoying collections (coins or stuff). 😄 We'll see.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 3
On 2/2/2022 at 2:16 PM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Just a little postscript to my last response, because your comment really bugged me:

Of course it did, because you understood what you've been doing and how little sense it makes 😉 

3 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Oooh, I just read the announcement.

Quote: "Take in the view on the top levels, [...]"

Now, that is getting me quite a bit excited. Perhaps there will be something similar to Factions' Kaineng City, which sported not only overpopulated, dangerous slums outside of the majestic city center and the palace, but also dark, dirty and mysterious sewers filled with monsters and even ancient temple locations.

See, they showed us similar tech/style to the one we've been shown before but now it builds excitement, but I agree that it looks good (just like it did before) 😄 

4 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Kaineng trailer is up and it looks even better than expected. A great balance between the maze like original feel and the futuristic style they are pushing towards. Looking like an amazing place to explore 

True, looks great!

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
On 2/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

I always tell my wife, pick the bolder wall color. In a week or two it'll seem tame.

Nice analogy, you're not wrong lol.  The bright green will seem less after playing in it for a while.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There's a line they used in the stream today that didn't make any sense to me. They said that the new city was built south of the old one and that they had to acquire lands and such. That makes no sense as look at any GW1 map and while it wasn't a playable area, there is clearly city south of Nahpui already.

GW1 Wiki Cantha Map

Edited by Faridah.8431
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1