Oh Gods! "Blade Runner" Kaineng City is real :(

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love it (and I hate Blade Runner beyond its visuals). I think this is exactly where GW2 should be going. It’s never been classic fantasy and the magi tech tropes have been increasing in prominence f

Latest Artwork for New Kaineng City Don't get me wrong, the original "Blade Runner" is one of my all-time favorite movies. But - and sorry to repeat myself - I don't want GW2 to be turned into a

I don't think most players who have been playing GW2 since launch started this game so they would be playing in a cyberpunk universe. I hate this direction. I feel 100% alienated by it, and I'm s

I'm absolutely devasted over what Anet did to Cantha and especially Kaineng. This whole Jade Tech thing can go to hell if you asked me.

When i wanted Anet to make Cantha in GW2, i hoped for the total opposite than what we've seen today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 1

So I find it a shame to find the Kaineng City of Guild Wars 1 completely razed under the ocean. After that it's not totally a bad idea, as long as this area is or will be explorable in living history (LW6). So on that I'm crossing my fingers for a future map exploring ancient Kaineng City under water.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kaineng_Ruins

For the moment we will only be entitled to a very small part of it. (hardly recognizable by the way). 🤐😔

I hope at least that the new city Kaineng city will be big enough to be interesting... (it's still small maps for an extension I think compared to Path of Fire).

Edited by rylien.3824
  • Like 5
  • Confused 5

From the stream it really looks odd, like something made using the Build engine (Duke Nukem 3D), or some early 2000s experiment requiring lots of fog to reduce draw distance, with massive restrictions on geometric complexity and layout. It doesn't look even remotely finished, for example there are rails missing from the edges of sheer drops, some buildings look like they have no textures. I don't see how it will be finished by release, since they should be into final testing phases by now.

Edited by nosleepdemon.1368
  • Like 2
  • Confused 8

With the City of Amnoon, we got a beautifully designed place, but... it was so small that there were no living quartes anywhere to be found (no doors/entrances in the pyramids, so those aren't apartment buildings). I have always been wondering where its citizens actually reside - underground?

Kaineng City, on the other hand, certainly does not have that problem. You really buy the title "City" here, and its verticality looked quite amazing in the live stream.

On the downside, all districts looked more or less the same to me. There was little to no variety. They mentioned "lush gardens" in the rich upper districts, but I failed to spot them (only the occasional tree). There were no slums, either. The only place so far we have been shown that had some visual variety and love for detail (once you upgrade it) was Arborstone.

Hopefully, there will be sewer dungeons beneath the city to explore, in contrast to the homogeneous metropolis. I also hope we will be able to disable that blue-tinted fog (the same as on Shing Jea and in the Echovald) via Post-Processing Effect toggle. They probably attempted to create a "film noir" feel with it, but the tint just doesn't go well with the surroundings in any of the locations we have seen.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

With the City of Amnoon, we got a beautifully designed place, but... it was so small that there were no living quartes anywhere to be found (no doors/entrances in the pyramids, so those aren't apartment buildings). I have always been wondering where its citizens actually reside - underground?

For example:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Empty_Quarter

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
On 2/5/2022 at 3:36 AM, rylien.3824 said:

So I find it a shame to find the Kaineng City of Guild Wars 1 completely razed under the ocean. After that it's not totally a bad idea, as long as this area is or will be explorable in living history (LW6). So on that I'm crossing my fingers for a future map exploring ancient Kaineng City under water.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kaineng_Ruins

For the moment we will only be entitled to a very small part of it. (hardly recognizable by the way). 🤐😔

I hope at least that the new city Kaineng city will be big enough to be interesting... (it's still small maps for an extension I think compared to Path of Fire).

rofl so they just already Lion-Archenized it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Remember: the maps are huge and there will be many different places. That said, I really felt disappointed a bit. Everything looks bland, flat and dead. Sure, there will be NPCs added but still: the buildings with these huge flat concrete areas completely destroys the look and feel of old Kaineng. Compare this with the Raisu Palace and I just felt let down:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Raisu_Palace_(explorable_area)

Hopefully, there will be many different areas.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I'm not fond of these streams tbh. It's nice that they're having fun, explaining tidbits, and showing us something, but they're hardly professionally done and tend to meander around instead of getting to the point.

Anyways, what they showcased of Kaineng feels like the difference between Kotor and Kotor TSL; one was tightly made, felt alive and finished, while the other felt like a half-baked mod until it got modded itself. Previous maps in the series have always had a refined quality about them, even my least favourite ones - they felt done. Kaineng does not so far. They seem to have gone for scale and forsaken the detail.

That being said, it's hard to experience much through someone else's screen when they're not stopping to really appreciate what's around them.

I'm underwhelmed so far, but cautiously optimistic it will perform better once I see it, and this "jade-punk" for myself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

for example there are rails missing from the edges of sheer drops, 

Call the Ministry of Building Codes!

And while they’re at it, they should come look at my home in Rata Sum. That drop is terrifying.

As to filling it up, more NPCs will definitely help, but during the livestream I was also imagining looking up at all that verticality and seeing skyscales wheeling about overhead. In my head it’s a pretty epic sight. We’ll see how it actually manifests.

It didn’t occur to me until just now, but all that height combined with ledges and wide open spaces is going to make Kaineng City a potential Griffon playground. 

I was a little disappointed in the social stratification they showed us. After the GW1 slums, the street level Tengu district looked only mildly low class compared to the upper levels.

Is this because Cantha is opening up and becoming more liberal so they don’t want us to feel the economic disparity is too oppressive? Maybe we’re not supposed to feel too bad about Canthan society because the threat is supposed to be the Jade Brotherhood? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I was a little disappointed in the social stratification they showed us. After the GW1 slums, the street level Tengu district looked only mildly low class compared to the upper levels.

Is this because Cantha is opening up and becoming more liberal so they don’t want us to feel the economic disparity is too oppressive? Maybe we’re not supposed to feel too bad about Canthan society because the threat is supposed to be the Jade Brotherhood? 

This might also be geo-politically motivated.

Maybe they didn't want parts of the Chinese inspired area to have the poorest living conditions in the game, which slums would have been.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
12 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I always assumed that everything outside the city walls were farms and not considered part of the actual "Free City of Amnoon." Like in medieval Europe, where there were those living behind the safe walls of the city, craftsman and other lines of work, and the farmers outside of the city providing for the local sovereign and the city.

Edit: I just realized where your point of interest is located. 😄I am quite certain they don't live in buildings that are completely buried in sand.

Edit #2 @ confused person:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 4
1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Edit: I just realized where your point of interest is located. 😄I am quite certain they don't live in buildings that are completely buried in sand.

Well the wiki blurb says that the quarter's former residents have also moved to the refugee camps, where the game doesn't otherwise acknowledge their presence.

Amnoon is just a far, far cry from core cities, which I consider unique amongst all other games for how well ANet managed to pull off a "people actually live here" feeling. In fact, Amnoon reminds me of the worst suburban "downtown" designs in the region where I live: a kind of busier section of town with huge, inefficient buildings that nobody lives in yet drives up rents - with people living in tents not too far away.

Just thinking about it makes me regret ever having advised the city to oppose Joko. If I ever do that story again, I'm selling the place off to the awakened immediately.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

Well the wiki blurb says that the quarter's former residents have also moved to the refugee camps, where the game doesn't otherwise acknowledge their presence.

Well, the city itself, i.e. everything behind the walls, sports no living quarters whatsoever. Are we to assume that everyone there used to reside outside of the city while not at work?

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
4 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I always assumed that everything outside the city walls were farms and not considered part of the actual "Free City of Amnoon." Like in medieval Europe, where there were those living behind the safe walls of the city, craftsman and other lines of work, and the farmers outside of the city providing for the local sovereign and the city.

Of course now they don't (and I was not trying to say they're currently living there), but at the same time it literally tells you where they live atm. Please read what I linked? 😄

The Empty Quarter is a point of interest within the Free City of Amnoon. This section used to be the noble district of the city before it was hit by a vicious sandstorm and engulfed in sand. Most if not all of its residents lost their homes as a result and were relocated to an impromptu refugee camp established in the harbor, where they are staying until the district is renovated.

Whether you consider it to be part of the city or not is irrelevant, since it just is part of it. It also specifically says they were living quarters, but currently their inhabitants were moved to impromptu refugee camp.

And here are the boundaries of Amnoon, so it doesn't seem like "I just decided what/where Amnoon is by myself":

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Free_City_of_Amnoon_map.jpg

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
21 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

From the stream it really looks odd, like something made using the Build engine (Duke Nukem 3D), or some early 2000s experiment requiring lots of fog to reduce draw distance, with massive restrictions on geometric complexity and layout. It doesn't look even remotely finished, for example there are rails missing from the edges of sheer drops, some buildings look like they have no textures. I don't see how it will be finished by release, since they should be into final testing phases by now.

I like this logic. No railings in core content, which was even before we had gliding and mounts? All good (or maybe it just didn't/doesn't matter since nobody really cared anyways)

No railings in upcomming expansion city? LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE! Rushed expansion using early 2000s build engine confirmed!

Here's rata sum btw:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/f9/Creator's_Commons.jpg

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/1/17/Rata_Sum_Port_Authority.jpg 

I have a weird feeling some people on this forum are reeeaaally bent on pretending there are problems where there's none.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3
4 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Of course now they don't (and I was not trying to say they're currently living there), but at the same time it literally tells you where they live atm. Please read what I linked? 😄

I did read it. It still does not explain why there are no doors leading into any of the story-irrelevant buildings within the city walls. :classic_huh: Perhaps I am wrongfully assuming there are rooms within the structures apart from the opened spaces.

Anyway, back to Kaineng:

9 hours ago, Incar.7358 said:

They seem to have gone for scale and forsaken the detail.

That sums it up. A homogeneous, monotonous design with no real differences between the quarters nor much love for detail from what I saw on the stream.

9 hours ago, Incar.7358 said:

I'm underwhelmed so far, but cautiously optimistic it will perform better once I see it, and this "jade-punk" for myself. 

I, too, hope this will be the case.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I did read it. It still does not explain why there are no doors leading into any of the story-irrelevant buildings within the city walls. :classic_huh:

Anyway, back to Kaineng:

That sums it up. A homogeneous, monotonous design with no real differences between the quarters nor much love for detail.

I, too, hope this will be the case.

You were able to see all the different quarters and details during the live stream? I wasn’t and they didn’t show everything 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
3 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

You were able to see all the different quarters and details during the live stream? I wasn’t and they didn’t show everything 

I edited my response shortly before yours: "[...] from what I saw on the stream."

Like I posted earlier, there was talk about "lush gardens" in the rich upper districts on the live stream, but when they went there, I couldn't spot anything like that. And the districts shown all looked homogeneous.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I did read it. It still does not explain why there are no doors leading into any of the story-irrelevant buildings within the city walls.

Except initially you've said the living quarters were nowhere to be found and you didn't know "where the citizens reside", which was at least partially answered by that single link, after which... you've said you didn't think it counted as amnoon and "you're certain people don't live in buildings that are completely buried in sand". If you've read the link then you would understand that I never said they live in those buried building -which is why it seemed like you really didn't bother reading it 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3