Hypothetically, if a certain publisher bought GW2, how quickly would you leave?

Zebulous.2934

If GW2 were sold to a cutthroat publisher when would you quit?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How quickly would you leave?

• instantly!
    • stick around until a specific line is crossed.
    • Stay till the bitter end!

1 hour ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Not viewed as profitable to Arenanet and NCsoft, other companies might make different decisions even using the same info that the current Anet uses.

Point was, industry-wide, the type of subscription model which I commented on is not common.  I was suggesting that the industry doesn't find such a model to be as profitable, or more, than models currently in use.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:
3 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Not viewed as profitable to Arenanet and NCsoft, other companies might make different decisions even using the same info that the current Anet uses.

My experience with such systems (in other sectors) is that in general they are more expensive for the people who use the service a lot. 

I problem is also that you lose part of what makes a subscription appetizing to the company. Some sense of stability. 

I've had enough experience with bad publishers that I know they'll just throw all my work, blood, sweat and tears into my characters into the garbage can. Or let the world I used to love gradually die through lack up updates/content until i'm bored, but they'll throw endless cash shop items at me. I've seen bad publishers break promises over and over. I just know, no matter what a publisher says, what they do is what they do and if I know they're bad, I'm not wasting any more of my time. 

16 hours ago, yann.1946 said:

My experience with such systems (in other sectors) is that in general they are more expensive for the people who use the service a lot. 

I problem is also that you lose part of what makes a subscription appetizing to the company. Some sense of stability. 

The one time I proposed this seriously my suggestion was to offer both a typical monthly subscription and a pay-as-you-go subscription which would be more expensive for most people, like how it works with phone contracts.

Say the company works out that the average subscriber plays for 50 hours in a month, and they pay $15 to do so. They could also offer 40 hours of pay-as-you-go time for $15. (Those are just random examples, I don't know what accurate numbers would be and it might even vary by game.)

For anyone spending average or above time in the game it would be better to get the monthly subscription, so most will do that, but it also gives them an oppertunity to appeal to the people who can only play a few days a week or aren't currently sure how much time they want to give to the game. For example instead of having to make a definite choice to quit when their sub runs out people who aren't sure they want to keep going could switch to pay-as-you-go and see how they get on with it, and might well end up sticking around longer as a result.

I can't be sure how it would work in practice because I've never seen it done and don't have access to the kind of data that would allow me to predict it, but I know I'd use it if the option was available. Whereas now I avoid pay-to-play games and don't subscribe to the one I play where it's optional.

5 hours ago, aspirine.6852 said:

I stayed when they were bought by that terrible ncsoft.

From the Wiki:

December 11, 2002 - NCSoft acquires ArenaNet.

April 22, 2003 - NCSoft and ArenaNet announce Guild Wars, then expected to be released during the second half of 2004.

April 28, 2005 - Guild Wars (now known as Guild Wars: Prophecies) launched in Europe and North America.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/NCSoft

Thus, we all stayed when NCSoft bought ArenaNet.  :classic_tongue:

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Like 2

Immediately.

The game industry is a kitten-show of great proportions. As much time as I've spent on this game(9 years), my life is more important. If Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Epic, Nexon, Tencent or any other of these sleazy, money-grubbing, exploitative companies get their mitts on gw2 I am gone. I refuse out of principle to support these sleazeballs. Given the news and allegations regarding corruption, sexual harassment, etc, in Acti-blizzard and Ubisoft, I draw the line. The game industry has enough of these blatant cash-grabs, especially the "AAA" section. We don't need more. gw2 is benign with its cosmetics, but it never was desperate enough to hawk stat boosters and level boosters in the gem store like freakin candy. gw2, for all its flaws, is a decent game with a good amount of content.

It depend on who aquired them. EG7 seems to be running lotro and ddo pretty well.

To be honest, anet probably has had too much freedom in the past. Ls1, the china localization, and the failed mobile title where alot of trend chasing that ultimately did not pan out in the end. I am kinda glad daddy ncsoft made them focus on expacs again.

56 minutes ago, Borked.6824 said:

Tbh the game already has all the framework and underpinnings of malicious things "X" publishers are doing with other games.  Nothing to fear really.  Hell, a decade ago GW2 basically ushered in the microtransaction model everyone sneers at today.

No, that model pre-existed GW2 by a few years.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

Just no Tencent,I hope I never ever have to see that company again

Agree with the sentiment entirely, though lets not kid ourselves...Tencent is quite literally trying to take over the western video game industry for the CCP.  We're going to hear a lot more from them.....

Edited by The Greyhawk.9107
  • Sad 2

I love how you asked the most open ended question with black and white answers as options.

It depends entirely on the studio that buys the franchise.  And it depends if they want to change the philosophy of the game. Etc etc. Sometimes games improve when they're sold to different studios. Sometimes they flop.

Though both GW1 and GW2 are anet games, they're made by practically 2 different companies. 

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, Amnariel.3659 said:

Just no Tencent,I hope I never ever have to see that company again

Tencent runs gw2 china. I would almost guarantee a pro CPC slant on the cantha story.  I do not expect the xenophobic authoritarian government set up in winds of change from 10 years ago. The parallels between this and president pooh bear will certainly be censored out of the final produce. Expect a very progovernment, utopian view of cathan, compared to how other all other world governments have glaring issues. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Massive stat boosters or other things that would make your character or entire party literally immortal/super strong, so... in other words when using real money gives you an advantage, then it's bad.

I don't really know how long I would stay, but probably to the point when I said to myself in every previous game "there is nothing to do here" or "this is pointless".

4 minutes ago, Excursion.9752 said:

Easy question for me because I have already done it before.

EA is a mmo destroyer. They come in kill what the game used to be then sell it to someone who will maintain it. I would literally stop playing the day the news broke. 

Ea kills games in general, there are tons of mmo company destroyers most of the companies do that themselves anyways lol, the genre is nearly dead and in its worst state since the golden age.

• Confused 2

Just now, Ryou.2398 said:

Ea kills games in general, there are tons of mmo company destroyers most of the companies do that themselves anyways lol, the genre is nearly dead and in its worst state since the golden age.

Only speaking to what I know. I played Ultima Online until EA took over and ruined the game. 

What companies like to do is "Make their mark" and it typically impacts the games core components. Which ruins it for veteran players to the point they get disgruntled and leave. Flash forward 5 to 10 years later when you hear news of new "legacy servers" to try and draw people back. 

• Like 1