Are Warrior Mains Masochistic?

In my very humble opinion, as one who plays power mesmer, holo, weaver (maurader, avatar, condi), power rev.... you seriously need to be crazy or masochistic to play such a castrated class. 

Tried playing spell breaker and my biggest contribution is to "bait" a couple opponents on a side node. Unlike weaver where I can actually kill things, my goal is to simply annoy and waste opponents' effort. 

It does OK vs ranger and necro I guess but this class, ugh, needs a buff...and it's not even my main. I played it coz I know it's one of hardest to play. If you say otherwise, you're lying. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Warrior players are the best downplayers in the game class isn't actually bad has great defense a ton of reusable CC and all they need is one good one to kill you. Also every traitline is viable core zerker and spellbreaker. If your a class that doesnt have a ton of stun breaks or doesnt kitten out stab your going to have a hard time.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 7

22 minutes ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Warrior players are the best downplayers in the game class isn't actually bad has great defense a ton of reusable CC and all they need is one good one to kill you. Also every traitline is viable core zerker and spellbreaker. If your class that doesnt have a ton of stun breaks or doesnt kitten out stab your going to have a hard time.

Saying such things about warrior in 2021 should lead to 1 week ban, IMO.

• Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

Ive faced far to many good warriors to call the class bad. I have run into no good firebrands i have run into 2 good chrono's its definitely the class and not the player for those two. As for Warrior its for sure the player and not the class too many good warriors running around for the class to be bad, being difficult to play and being bad are two different things.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Warrior players are the best downplayers in the game class isn't actually bad has great defense a ton of reusable CC and all they need is one good one to kill you. Also every traitline is viable core zerker and spellbreaker. If your class that doesnt have a ton of stun breaks or doesnt kitten out stab your going to have a hard time.

I played it before the xpacs and it seriously feels like half the class it used to be. Mesmers got heavy nerfs but Im glad it's nowhere as terrible as warriors treatment. The NBA team is doing well though. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spellhunter.9675 said:

Vs a thief on a node, I sigh and admit that I must really hate myself for playing this class. Timed dagger leaps and the elite are my last resort but yeah, it's not fun. Granted, my skill level is not like yours or @Azure The Heartless.3261 

Off point, it's fun to CC roamers when we have majority of nodes captured and it has ok mobility but other than that, the revenant, any flavor, is superior. I gave it a try recently and played it for several days. Needs a face-lift. 

52 minutes ago, greedywholesome.9081 said:

Vs a thief on a node, I sigh and admit that I must really hate myself for playing this class. Timed dagger leaps and the elite are my last resort but yeah, it's not fun. Granted, my skill level is not like yours or @Azure The Heartless.3261

Off point, it's fun to CC roamers when we have majority of nodes captured and it has ok mobility but other than that, the revenant, any flavor, is superior. I gave it a try recently and played it for several days. Needs a face-lift. 

Good thieves should leave you alone after 15-20 seconds of engaging you, unless its at least 2v1 in their favor. If they are staying they must think they can kill you fast.

But yeah war is not very strong.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Good thieves should leave you alone after 15-20 seconds of engaging you, unless its at least 2v1 in their favor. If they are staying they must think they can kill you fast.

I've found that most Thieves in PvP behave exactly as they do in WvW; they'll follow you around the entire map constantly hitting you even though they stand no chance of killing you while their team loses the game, unable to let go of the pride of not securing a kill on a "scrub".

Very few Thieves actually want to play their role in PvP, which is why I shudder every time they end up on a team because it means the rest of us have to pull the dead weight.

Warriors may not do the most damage but at least I know they'll play the game. In fact, if there's any class I can trust go to a node and stay on it, its Warrior above all others. Maybe its precisely because of the lack of damage; I find the more a player is built for securing kills the more likely they'll chase enemies all around the map like a headless chicken, even long after realising that player isn't actually going to die.

Maybe it'd be more tolerable if the main mode wasn't Conquest, but eh.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

I've found that most Thieves in PvP behave exactly as they do in WvW; they'll follow you around the entire map constantly hitting you even though they stand no chance of killing you while their team loses the game, unable to let go of the pride of not securing a kill on a "scrub".

Very few Thieves actually want to play their role in PvP, which is why I shudder every time they end up on a team because it means the rest of us have to pull the dead weight.

Warriors may not do the most damage but at least I know they'll play the game. In fact, if there's any class I can trust go to a node and stay on it, its Warrior above all others. Maybe its precisely because of the lack of damage; I find the more a player is built for securing kills the more likely they'll chase players all around the map like a headless chicken, even long after realising that player isn't actually going to die.

If you spend time as a thief rotating away from every fight you'll get absolutely nothing done outside of not dying and giving the map to the enemy team. I've tried it multiple ways i've tried rotating away just on a decap thats not good enough because you still have to rely on the team in a full team fight which is still 50/50. Every deadeye thief i've played who tried to play who you think they should always ends of making me or some other class not meant for side noding or no mobility to rotate far costing us games.

The games i win the most is when i full cap and decap and stay regardless if i can kill if i can keep that point decapped or 2 ppl occupied thats fine imo the most dangerous place for a thief to be is in mid too many factors to cleave you out of existence by awful players they stay on you or in that 1v1  because that situation they can control the most.

40 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

No bad thieves do that because no good player dies in 15-20 seconds regardless of the build even if your an 11k FA core ele you do not die in 20seconds only scrubs do. And thieves can reliably 1v1 every class in the game but rev...what an awful take.

Edited by Genesis.5169
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Genesis.5169 said:

No bad thieves do that because no good player dies in 15-20 seconds regardless of the build even if your an 11k FA core ele you do not die in 20seconds only scrubs do. And thieves can reliably 1v1 every class in the game but rev...what an awful take.

maybe if you chain obsidian flesh, mist, earth shield 5, and then mist in downstate

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Ive faced far to many good warriors to call the class bad.

^ This

I'm kind of tired of hearing it tbh. Well played Spellbreakers are still strong as hell.

I'm not saying it's OP like Core Necro right now, but it's definitely not bad or nearly as weak as people claim it to be.

Pretty sure people just get confused because they compare it to the current performance of something like Core Necro, which is able to literally go ham and spam skills in any order right off of CD and be effective, along with having too much easy disengage. Whereas War/Berserker/Spellbreaker is a precision class that requires knowledge & experience to understand how to wield, waiting for counter-offensive plays and knowing which skills to use in those exact moments. Pretty sure people who think War is bad, are people who aren't understanding the difference between high skill cap play and low skill floor easy entry.

Furthermore, I don't think some people are realizing that Spellbreaker isn't meant to be a side node anymore unless someone is exceptionally talented at it like Vaans as example. If they played their Spellbreaker as DPS oriented and played as a Roamer for +ing, they'd do alright. Spellbreaker is an exceptionally dangerous + imo. I personally feel like Spellbreaker is one of the most dangerous +s in terms of its ability to assist someone in actually killing you, because of the ridiculously large amount of CC that it pumps out. 

Even I do alright on a Spellbreaker when playing Roam and I'm maybe a bottom plat 1 Spellbreaker at best.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 4
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Warriors may not do the most damage but at least I know they'll play the game. In fact, if there's any class I can trust go to a node and stay on it, its Warrior above all others.

Yeah, Not only that but I've also observed spell breakers (and true warrior mains)  are least likely to quit early or AFK or throw tantrums. Most complainers/afkers in-game are necromancers. Perhaps because it's the most played class or something else...

Though I dont play in MATs or very high tier, I'm still considerate about my contribution to the team despite Qing solo. 

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

^ This

I'm kind of tired of hearing it tbh. Well played Spellbreakers are still strong as hell.

I'm not saying it's OP like Core Necro right now, but it's definitely not bad or nearly as weak as people claim it to be.

Pretty sure people just get confused because they compare it to the current performance of something like Core Necro, which is able to literally go ham and spam skills in any order right off of CD and be effective, along with having too much easy disengage. Whereas War/Berserker/Spellbreaker is a precision class that requires knowledge & experience to understand how to wield, waiting for counter-offensive plays and knowing which skills to use in those exact moments. Pretty sure people who think War is bad, are people who aren't understanding the difference between high skill cap play and low skill floor easy entry.

Furthermore, I don't think some people are realizing that Spellbreaker isn't meant to be a side node anymore unless someone is exceptionally talented at it like Vaans as example. If they played their Spellbreaker as DPS oriented and played as a Roamer for +ing, they'd do alright. Spellbreaker is an exceptionally dangerous + imo. I personally feel like Spellbreaker is one of the most dangerous +s in terms of its ability to assist someone in actually killing you, because of the ridiculously large amount of CC that it pumps out. 

Even I do alright on a Spellbreaker when playing Roam and I'm maybe a bottom plat 1 Spellbreaker at best.

If played exceptionally well, Warrior (and especially SpB) is OK.  At best.  Even at its best, though, it has severe limitations.

-It has decent damage spikes, but those come almost exclusively from Arcing Slice.  You also hilariously get out damaged in melee range by rev and even ranger(!).  For a class that has as little to offer outside of melee presence, Warrior should absolutely be doing more in close quarters.

-Warrior as a class has almost no damage mitigation (protection, aegis (except on bladesworn), barrier) outside of Endure Pain, which pigeonholes it into running GS for the evade frame on Whirlwind Attack and taking shield as its second weaponset OH.  And relying heavily on Full Counter, of course.

-Warrior has access to decent sustained healing in the forms of might makes right, adrenal healing, and vigorous shouts.  However, each one of these healing mechanisms is on a separate trait line, meaning most of the time you only have access to one of them (since you're likely running spellbreaker and discipline in the other 2 slots).  And despite your healing being "decent", it still isn't as good as some other classes, nor is it as valuable as ,say, being able to continually pump out thousands of hit points of barrier like a weaver or scourge can.

-Warrior has decent mobility skills, but that again mostly restricts you to using GS, esp since mainhand sword is severely underpowered and useful really only for Savage leap.

-Despite that decent mobility, many other classes are still far more mobile than you.  Lack of Z-axis movement skills/teleports also really hurts you on many maps

-Most of your meaningful damage must be done in melee range, making the aforementioned mobility limitations even more problematic

-Most of your damage comes in the form of a few hard-hitting skills (arcing slice, cyclone axe, etc) and not sustained damage output.  This makes you very susceptible to blind, weakness, and aegis dramatically reducing your damage output. 

-the great majority of Warrior's utilities are either a.) useless, or b.) simply not good enough to compete with the indispensable Endure Pain, Shake It Off, and Bulls Charge.  This leads to very little (viable) build diversity.

And if you still don't believe me, consider the fact that in the past 4 MATs, there has been exactly ONE warrior in exactly ONE match (rerolled to different spec in the next map) in high level tournament play.  Warrior was still nearly non-existent before the past 4 MATs as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Warrior players are the best downplayers in the game class isn't actually bad has great defense a ton of reusable CC and all they need is one good one to kill you. Also every traitline is viable core zerker and spellbreaker. If your a class that doesnt have a ton of stun breaks or doesnt kitten out stab your going to have a hard time.

This is true in WvW. Idk about pvp.

Contrary to recent statements by devs Warriors are not in a good place with successful builds in all content.

Bubble is a clutch skill in Zerg v Zerg for sure, but otherwise you're better off rolling something else in WvW.

In PvE banners are unique and always wanted, but they just make a good group faster and are uninspired and not fun to play. Even there you are better off rolling something else.

In PvP the only remaining builds either just stall for time or require such game knowledge to function on par with others that yet again you're better off rolling something else.

There is a lot that is decent about warrior in any given game mode, but other than high base armor and HP it excels at nothing, and that is the problem. It's decent, possibly good in the most capable hands, but it's not great at anything.

Give damage back to Hammer CC's and a few others on the class, then it'll be at least on par with the others. In PvE rework banners to function more like facets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Whereas War/Berserker/Spellbreaker is a precision class that requires knowledge & experience to understand how to wield, waiting for counter-offensive plays and knowing which skills to use in those exact moments. Pretty sure people who think War is bad, are people who aren't understanding the difference between high skill cap play and low skill floor easy entry.

This is the first time I've heard (the implication that) Berserker has a "high skill cap" instead of just admitting that it doesn't have enough mitigation to deal with players smart enough to not stand next to it for extended periods of time. 

That's unironically really funny. It's terrifying but also funny.

Over the course of years we went from "Warrior has a low skill floor so it should be nerfed" to "Warrior has a high skill cap so it shouldn't be buffed.".

So be it though.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
behold, my opinion returns
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Over the course of years we went from "Warrior has a low skill floor so it should be nerfed" to "Warrior has a high skill cap so it shouldn't be buffed.".

So be it though.

The first one can be a legitimate reason to nerf a class a little, and could be justifiably be used to nerf half the specs in popular use at the moment.

The second one is just an excuse to keep a poor performing class in the dirt.

• Like 2