Are Warrior Mains Masochistic?

59 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

This is the first time I've heard (the implication that) Berserker has a "high skill cap" instead of just admitting that it doesn't have enough mitigation to deal with players smart enough to not stand next to it for extended periods of time. 

That's unironically really funny. It's terrifying but also funny.

Over the course of years we went from "Warrior has a low skill floor so it should be nerfed" to "Warrior has a high skill cap so it shouldn't be buffed.".

So be it though.

I didn't say any of that.

All I said is that people overexaggerate "how useless" it is.

Let me put this into perspective:

1. Spellbreaker is still better than Warrior or Berserker.
  2. Spellbreaker is still better than Core Guard Burst or FB, and at least as good as a DH.
  3. Spellbreaker is still better than Core Rev or even Renegade at this point imo.
  4. Spellbreaker is still better than Core Engi or Scrapper.
  5. Spellbreaker is still better than a Druid and at least as useful in a team as a Core Ranger or Soulbeast.
  6. Spellbreaker is still better than a Deadeye and at least as good as a Core Thief Condi Burst.
  7. Spellbreaker is at least as good as any Core Mes, Chrono, or Mirage.
  8. Spellbreaker although not ultimately as universally strong as a Core Necro, at least is able to hard counter this spec in 1v1 situations due to enormous CC output. And Spellbreaker is at least as good as a Reaper and arguably better than a Scourge at this point.
  9. Spellbreaker is still better than any Core Ele, and is at least as useful as any Tempest.
  10. The only things that a War main can realistically say "are stronger than a Spellbreaker or more useful" are Core Guard Support, Power Herald, Holosmith, DP Daredevil, Core Necro, Fire Weaver. <- All of which is the SAME stuff that always outshines everything. Spellbreaker is actually better than most of the classes/builds in the game. It isn't in a bad spot, it's middle-tiered at worst, and in fact it sits at the top of the middle-tiered builds, right there with things like Soulbeast & DH & Mirage, ect ect.

Maybe it's not that Warrior is so weak, but more that some things that sit in that forever lasting meta, are only doing that becomes of some broken abilities they possess that almost everyone unanimously agrees needs to be nerfed. A couple good examples would be Flashbang or how Thieves just output WAY too much blind spam.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

Warrior also got kitten harder than any other class (maybe excepting Mallyx) by the changes to Resistance.

Imagine if Healing Signet, Revenge Counter, Featherfoot and Berserker Stance were still functional as anti-condi, it'd go a long way to improving warrior sustain.

Edited by Ragnar.4257
  • Like 2

^That. Warrior has been 💩 on by Anet since Feb2020 with only a meaningless change to OH skills that impressed nobody, resulted in nobody dropping shield or OH axe for other choices, but somehow was rolled out with a stern warning that the devs would be watching them in case they over performed.

Spoiler: weapons can't over perform if the change is to put a bow on a kitten. They're still turds in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

^ This

I'm kind of tired of hearing it tbh. Well played Spellbreakers are still strong as hell.

I'm not saying it's OP like Core Necro right now, but it's definitely not bad or nearly as weak as people claim it to be.

Pretty sure people just get confused because they compare it to the current performance of something like Core Necro, which is able to literally go ham and spam skills in any order right off of CD and be effective, along with having too much easy disengage. Whereas War/Berserker/Spellbreaker is a precision class that requires knowledge & experience to understand how to wield, waiting for counter-offensive plays and knowing which skills to use in those exact moments. Pretty sure people who think War is bad, are people who aren't understanding the difference between high skill cap play and low skill floor easy entry.

Furthermore, I don't think some people are realizing that Spellbreaker isn't meant to be a side node anymore unless someone is exceptionally talented at it like Vaans as example. If they played their Spellbreaker as DPS oriented and played as a Roamer for +ing, they'd do alright. Spellbreaker is an exceptionally dangerous + imo. I personally feel like Spellbreaker is one of the most dangerous +s in terms of its ability to assist someone in actually killing you, because of the ridiculously large amount of CC that it pumps out. 

Even I do alright on a Spellbreaker when playing Roam and I'm maybe a bottom plat 1 Spellbreaker at best.

I'm tired of hearing "well played spellbreaker" since if you tie that to almost any other class, they'll get better results than a well played warrior. Warrior isn't that bad but you have to work 2-3x as hard as other classes to get the same result with kitten toolset.  WvW small scale/roaming it's also way more noticeable of a power difference since everything isn't diluted to boring stat sticks and you have the freedom of stat choice. 

• Like 2

Op I'm gonna guess ur new to gw2 or its forums considering u posted such a thread lol. If u peruse the threads in this forums pvp u can get a good idea of the majority mentality of this games pvp playerbase, I donno maybe cuz its free and easy to entry kinda game that the game attracts the pvp players it does. Ill let in in something, any non warrior player will tell u that warriors fine or that it is in fact strong because why would they want a class that they don't play to be a strong opponent vs the classes they play, they would rather win vs have a decent fight, just they way they are here in gw2, even in pve players complained hot was too hard haha. This is not the playerbase that will give u honest opinions about classes they don't play. Warrior could have 0 representation 8n the next 20 mats due to it being in a bad place balance wise comparatively to the roster and still most non warrior players would answer ur thread with warrior is fine/strong posts. Op ur better off just deleting the post to be honest.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Lucentfir.7430 said:

I'm tired of hearing "well played spellbreaker" since if you tie that to almost any other class, they'll get better results than a well played warrior. Warrior isn't that bad but you have to work 2-3x as hard as other classes to get the same result with kitten toolset.  WvW small scale/roaming it's also way more noticeable of a power difference since everything isn't diluted to boring stat sticks and you have the freedom of stat choice. 

Spellbreaker is a top roamer in wvw with pve gear/consumable options and wvw skill splits.

And herein probably lies the answer as to why they don't buff anything in pvp, because it's already strong in wvw.

Maybe the real problem is they removed too many damned options from pvp, making the game much too different in spvp than in wvw, which obviously would make it difficult for them to balance anything at that point without continuing to do skill splits, further exasperating the problem.

• Confused 1

War is alright, it has alot of great things going for it. Its 1v1 potential is still one of the best in the game, and it matches up well enough with most sidenoders to where you're not at a huge disadvantage for playing it. It goes without saying War is great in 2v2s and bigger fights, even with its sustain being a bit on the lower end right now.

Ironically enough the main thing Warrior struggles with right now are the Roamers. Mirage, Daredevil, Herald, and Holo(flashbang) all win the matchup vs Warrior pretty easily. 

Wars main value is when its in a 1v1, you know that 1v1 is going to end much faster, and CDs will be forced much faster than any other duelist would win it/lose it or force CDs. Thats very valuable in a situation where your team understands that and capitalizes, not so much in Ranked which is a big hit to its viablity and effectiveness.

Edit: War also debunks the best out of every sidenoder rn, theres a reason why Prot Holo never saw play on EU, War could kill it, War could kill Water Weaver, War is the bunker buster on the sidenodes

Edited by Grimjack.8130

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

2. Spellbreaker is still better than Core Guard Burst or FB, and at least as good as a DH.
  3. Spellbreaker is still better than Core Rev or even Renegade at this point imo.
  5. Spellbreaker is still better than a Druid and at least as useful in a team as a Core Ranger or Soulbeast.
  6. Spellbreaker is still better than a Deadeye and at least as good as a Core Thief Condi Burst.
  8. Spellbreaker although not ultimately as universally strong as a Core Necro, at least is able to hard counter this spec in 1v1 situations due to enormous CC output. And Spellbreaker is at least as good as a Reaper and arguably better than a Scourge at this point.
  9. Spellbreaker is still better than any Core Ele, and is at least as useful as any Tempest.
  10. The only things that a War main can realistically say "are stronger than a Spellbreaker or more useful" are Core Guard Support, Power Herald, Holosmith, DP Daredevil, Core Necro, Fire Weaver. <- All of which is the SAME stuff that always outshines everything. Spellbreaker is actually better than most of the classes/builds in the game. It isn't in a bad spot, it's middle-tiered at worst, and in fact it sits at the top of the middle-tiered builds, right there with things like Soulbeast & DH & Mirage, ect ect.

Maybe it's not that Warrior is so weak, but more that some things that sit in that forever lasting meta, are only doing that becomes of some broken abilities they possess that almost everyone unanimously agrees needs to be nerfed. A couple good examples would be Flashbang or how Thieves just output WAY too much blind spam.

This man just said Spellbreaker is better than Renegade ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Lucentfir.7430 said:

I'm tired of hearing "well played spellbreaker" since if you tie that to almost any other class, they'll get better results than a well played warrior.

Well get used to. Because things in GW2 pvp can be divided into two categories:

Lower Skill Cap Easy Entry Potent For Low To Middle Tier:

• Necromancer/Reaper/Scourge
  • Condi Rangers/Druids/Soulbeasts
  • Condi Thieves
  • Burn Guards/DH/FB & Support Core Guardian
  • Condi Heralds & All Renegades

Higher Skill Cap Hard Entry But Outperforms The Above When Played Correctly:

• Spellbreaker
  • Power Herald
  • Power DH
  • Power Based Ranger/Soulbeast
  • Holosmith
  • DP Daredevil
  • Core Mes/Chrono/Mirage
  • Weaver

Necro/Reaper/Scourge & Support Core Guardian are the only two that are both easy entry level and perform at high skill caps. Both of them need nerfs. Necros need sustain nerfs for sure, arguably nerfs to some utilities like Ring Of Fear, and Guardians AT LEAST need Signet Of Mercy nerfed. It needs to either take twice as long to cast or have double the ICD.

Notice the trend here though. It's all condi builds that are easy entry, and all power builds that are higher skill cap. Necro being an exception because it's just overly tweaked in every aspect right now. Weaver being the only other exception because it can't really avoid being a hybrid power/condi.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Grimjack.8130 said:

This man just said Spellbreaker is better than Renegade ?

Oh there are definitely many Spellbreaker players in even just NA that I'd rather have on my team than any of the Renegades in NA, regardless of who was playing the Renegade.

Maybe just my perspective as a Ranger player, but I find Renegades definitely inferior to Power Herald and in general kind of not threatening. Renegade is one big telegraph that is too easy to counter. The build didn't stand the test of time once everyone has adapted. Only thing it has going for it is the Dwarf Taunt, Binding Chains or w/e the hell it's called. Only thing that makes it threatening.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Ragnar.4257 said:

Warrior also got kitten harder than any other class (maybe excepting Mallyx) by the changes to Resistance.

Imagine if Healing Signet, Revenge Counter, Featherfoot and Berserker Stance were still functional as anti-condi, it'd go a long way to improving warrior sustain.

Berserker stance was trash even before the resistance changes and healing signet would still likely be passed over for Mending, but Featherfoot and Revenge Counter got really shafted and it's sad, especially since that pushes everyone into Tether and MMR for sustain and CC.

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Spellbreaker is a top roamer in wvw with pve gear/consumable options and wvw skill splits.

And herein probably lies the answer as to why they don't buff anything in pvp, because it's already strong in wvw.

Maybe the real problem is they removed too many damned options from pvp, making the game much too different in spvp than in wvw, which obviously would make it difficult for them to balance anything at that point without continuing to do skill splits, further exasperating the problem.

That first sentence was just so laughable.  Top roamer? You forgot to mention Thief, Ranger, and Rev, all classes with some combination of ports, low CD ground motility, stealth, and extremely long range damage.

Warrior has 1 and still has the problems of being warrior, like that it has to set up damage with its slow CC that does no damage. 

You also very conveniently failed to mention that other classes have better skill splits and access to PvE gear as well. You WILL blow up if these other classes, or almost all of them to be honest, catch you with your pants down, but they all still have their better tools that warrior just can't compete with. 

Edited by CutesySylveon.8290
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Top roamer don't think so, a decent one sure. I see far more Ranger, Engis, Theives, Revs, Ele and Necros in roaming than I do see warriors, and most of the time if I do encounter a warrior, it's a zerg spec'd one running warhorn trying to get back to a bigger group, or a new player that doesn't know any better.  My gripe here is spvp balance philosophy is absolutely awful for WvW, since Spvp is balanced is around the absence of other stat selections while WvW has pretty much every stat combo and fun options you'd find. Wouldn't be an issue if Spvp balance philosophy was only kept in spvp and stopped leaking into WvW. 

1 hour ago, CutesySylveon.8290 said:

That first sentence was just so laughable.  Top roamer? You forgot to mention Thief, Ranger, and Rev, all classes with some combination of ports, low CD ground motility, stealth, and extremely long range damage.

Warrior has 1 and still has the problems of being warrior, like that it has to set up damage with its slow CC that does no damage. 

You also very conveniently failed to mention that other classes have better skill splits and access to PvE gear as well. You WILL blow up if these other classes, or almost all of them to be honest, catch you with your pants down, but they all still have their better tools that warrior just can't compete with. 

Dude what are you talking about?

It's pretty well known thing that in wvw you're looking at this for top roamers:

1. Condi Mirage
  2. Tempests/Weavers
  3. Soulbeasts & Druids
  4. Spellbreakers
  5. And maaaaaybe good Holos

But other classes don't compare to the above, which are able to abuse pve gear options in ways that other classes are not.

You also mentioned Thief & Rev Roamers in wvw which I am unsure of why, because these classes are actually not good in wvw roaming. Thief can survive, but it can't actually kill the aforementioned 5. It simply can't benefit from pve gear options in the way those 5 classes can.

@Lucentfir.7430

Staaaahp dude. Just because you see a lot of things doesn't mean they're good. And just because you joined a conversation, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. IE: Necromancers are terrible roamers, despite every other person using it. Well known fact. Another well known fact, you won't see many Condi Mirages, but when you do and if they play at least at a plat 1 pvp level in wvw with a proper build, they're friggin nigh invulnerable and it WILL kill you if you aren't one of those 5 mentioned classes, another Mirage, Tempest/Weaver, Soulbeast or Druid, or a Spellbreaker. And a Thief could run but it couldn't actually engage the Mirage in combat for very long in wvw.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.  Personally, I would disagree with many of your assertions above.

But even if I grant you all those assertions, it's worth noting that we are A) talking only about Spellbreaker, not Core War or Berserker, and B) we're probably talking about Strength spellbreaker with magebane tether, GS and dagger/shield (or maybe axe/shield), Mending, Endure Pain, Shake It Off, Bulls Charge, and probably Rampage.  And you'll be running Berserker Amulet with Rune of the Fighter.  

My point is that there is an extremely narrow range of "what works" when it comes to Warrior.  See any condi spellbreakers up there in Plat?  Any rocking Mace?  Or Hammer?  How many berserkers do you see?  Core Wars?  I'm sure there are a sprinkling here and there, but I very much doubt they are meta-defining.  And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, just look at the MATs...

So even if I grant that "Spellbreaker is decent" or even "good,"  I think that the evidence overwhelmingly supports that Warrior, as a profession, is NOT in a good spot right now, at least in competitive modes.  Which is the point of the OP and this thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Lucentfir.7430

Staaaahp dude. Just because you see a lot of things doesn't mean their good. And just because you joined a conversation, doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. IE: Necromancers are terrible roamers, despite every other person using it. Well known fact.

It's an observation on the roaming and small scale scene in WvW, and in the perspective of someone that roams quite frequently on warrior and other classes, by all means ask others who roam what it looks like if you don't want to take my word for it, but there's certainly tons of cele, trailblaizer, builds running around or instant delete soulbeasts (no shortage on those).  Don't undersell Necromancers in roaming, it depends on the type of necromancer you run into, I've ran into plenty of roamer Terrormancers and power reapers while roaming that are plenty obnoxious to fight. Do you even roam much Trevor or do you spend all your time in Spvp?

25 minutes ago, Lucentfir.7430 said:

It's an observation on the roaming and small scale scene in WvW, and in the perspective of someone that roams quite frequently on warrior and other classes, by all means ask others who roam what it looks like if you don't want to take my word for it, but there's certainly tons of cele, trailblaizer, builds running around or instant delete soulbeasts (no shortage on those).  Don't undersell Necromancers in roaming, it depends on the type of necromancer you run into, I've ran into plenty of roamer Terrormancers and power reapers while roaming that are plenty obnoxious to fight. Do you even roam much Trevor or do you spend all your time in Spvp?

I stream wvw roaming pretty frequently. Usually for like 4 to 6 hours at a time.

Spellbreaker is a strong Roamer as long as people actually build it right and take advantage of the options provided. It's one of the only Roamers that a Druid/Soulbeast can encounter that is actually threatening in a 1v1. Other things you can either kill or they can't kill you.

You guys need to back up and read the first 3 times I specifically mentioned that I did not say "Warrior is ultimate meta power class" I said that "Spellbreaker is not nearly as weak as people claim that it is." I said that "Spellbreaker is middle tier as worst." I did also say that Spellbreaker is a top roamer, and it is. It may be at the bottom of the list of the top roamers, but it's definitely one of the top roamers.

Warrior in general also has A LOT of template swap power that still 99% of people just completely ignore and don't notice that they can be using. Warrior is extremely flexible with the kinds of builds & purposes they have, in wvw at least. IE: You're roaming on full DPS mobility but you see someone approaching that it would be better to swap to a tanky sustainy longbow build. IE: You are roaming but then you merge with a 30 man squad and so you swap to a front line build. IE: You merge with a squad and they have plenty of frontline so you swap to a high velocity high powered unblockable Gunflame build. Not all classes have such viability like this for so many different types of roles. Don't act like this isn't part of the Warrior's balance, because it is. Warrior is strong in wvw no matter what role it plays, even commanding.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

I stream wvw roaming pretty frequently. Usually for like 4 to 6 hours at a time.

Spellbreaker is a strong Roamer as long as people actually build it right and take advantage of the options provided. It's one of the only Roamers that a Druid/Soulbeast can encounter that is actually threatening in a 1v1. Other things you can either kill or they can't kill you.

You guys need to back up and read the first 3 times I specifically mentioned that I did not say "Warrior is ultimate meta power class" I said that "Spellbreaker is not nearly as weak as people claim that it is." I said that "Spellbreaker is middle tier as worst." I did also say that Spellbreaker is a top roamer, and it is. It may be at the bottom of the list of the top roamers, but it's definitely one of the top roamers.

Warrior in general also has A LOT of template swap power that still 99% of people just completely ignore and don't notice that they can be using. Warrior is extremely flexible with the kinds of builds & purposes they have, in wvw at least. IE: You're roaming on full DPS mobility but you see someone approaching that it would be better to swap to a tanky sustainy longbow build. IE: You are roaming but then you merge with a 30 man squad and so you swap to a front line build. IE: You merge with a squad and they have plenty of frontline so you swap to a high velocity high powered unblockable Gunflame build. Not all classes have such viability like this for so many different types of roles. Don't act like this isn't part of the Warrior's balance, because it is. Warrior is strong in wvw no matter what role it plays, even commanding.

Good to know I'll take your word for it. I'm not saying Spellbreaker is an awful roamer either, it's a decent one, but to say it's up there as a top roamer is a bit of a stretch when you're matching it up against other roamer/people of equal skill level on said roaming classes, which is where I'm tired of seeing the whole "Well played Spellbreaker" line, sorta hit the buttons, because well played spellbreakers aren't getting good payout for playing well, when compared to other roaming classes.

Template swapping is a different beast of a discussion, that really shouldn't have any sort of sway in the discussion of warrior's current state. You're basically glorifying the ability to swap to a zerg build on the fly that everyone has. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Spellbreaker so stronk in roaming I died once to it in months, and only because I was talking with someone and my Riptide caused more fall damage than Spellbreaker himself 😆

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Lucentfir.7430 said:

Template swapping is a different beast of a discussion, that really shouldn't have any sort of sway in the discussion of warrior's current state. You're basically glorifying the ability to swap to a zerg build on the fly that everyone has. 

You can do it on any class at any time while roaming. If you watch my wvw footage of Ranger play as example, if I approach a Necro, as example, I swap to Sic Em One Wolf Pack Soulbeast. If I approach a Condi Mirage, I swap to Cele Druid. If I approach a 1vX situation I swap to Soulbeast with Gazelle if I want to disengage and run or I swap to Cele Druid if I want to stay and engage. If I join a Zerg I swap to Cele Druid if I want to roll with them "literally" or need to command, or I swap to Soulbeast if they need backline sniping. It's just all situational.

Warrior has even more specs for template swapping to play an even deeper game of rock/paper/scissors in wvw. It is a part of class balance as template swapping before engagement is very real in wvw. A very underlooked build for Warrior roaming right now is cele with longbow. <- This is virtually unkillable and will win vs. you in time unless you are running a top stat attribute tweaked top roam like Mirage/DruidSoulbeast/Ele also abusing Cele boon durations and expertise. That build is mainly why I say Warrior/Spellbreaker is a top roamer. I think most people who are reading this are only pvp players and are unaware of how ridiculously strong cele war longbow is in wvw.

14 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

1. Spellbreaker is still better than a Druid and at least as useful in a team as a Core Ranger or Soulbeast

~~~~~~ Lets buff ranger more Yayeeeeeee~

Edited by Crozame.4098
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Oh please. Keep the trolling coherant.

Can you even quote the last time I said ANYTHING at all about buffing a Ranger?

Go ahead, give it a shot, scroll back through the pages and try looking for it.

Enjoy.

Nah, you did not. I just find all your comments related to ranger funny

Spellbreaker is far from being a top roamer. Can a good player do well with it, sure. But a equally skilled player on an actual top roaming spec will kill it no problem.

Hell, I eat spellbreakers with my reaper frequently, but that has more to do with me knowing warrior and not running typical roaming utilities on my reaper.

• Like 2