Suspicious streak of bad luck with Tequatl

The Boz.2038

I do the Tequatl event nearly every day, at least six times a week, and have been doing so for over a year now. It used to be a steady way of getting ascended weapons for my toons. The wiki suggests an ascended weapon box drops for a participating player ~3% of the time, and my own experience used to confirm exactly that: I'd get an ascended box about once per month.

However, the last time I got an ascended drop from the event was around the 20th of July. That's about 150 days ago, during which I have done the meta at least 120 times. Going 90 or a hundred days on 0 drops was a bit suspicious, but a full 150? That's getting a bit extreme. Is it possible it's not dropping ascended boxes because I have unopened ascended boxes in my bank? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

[...] Is it possible it's not dropping ascended boxes because I have unopened ascended boxes in my bank? 

No, that's not how it works. You can safely keep your ascended boxes unopened in bank without it affecting your future drop rate. It's probably bad luck. The other option would be that the drop rate was changed by ArenaNet but I think it is just plain old bad luck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In my early days I did Teq and all the other world bosses every day and the worm 1 time a week in an organized group.
In one year I had one Asc drop from the worm, nothing else.

That is just RNG.

With your Asc-drops and the Infusion drop you have more luck as the most people i know, who play this game since launch ^^.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, The Boz.2038 said:

If it is bad luck, man, my entire account must be *entirely cursed*.

3400 hours, 0 precursor drops, really (really!) rotten luck with the mystic coin conversion... the only thing I ever got worth over 100GP is the healing winter's heart infusion.

How is it "entirely cursed", when you literally said you were consistently getting "the average drop" this whole time?

Seems like the usual: rng on my side? Everything's k. Rng not on my side? Rigged/cursed account/anet changed drop rates. But that's not how rng works. Averages are averages, but the deviations from the expected drop rate are perfectly normal, which is also pretty much why we use "averages" to assess drop rates in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

8400 hours played, no precursor, nightly Teq/Karka/Leyline reset with KVO for years rarely missing a night because I have no life, I have only had a few Teq chests, I have had quite a few other stats. There was one spell I was getting one nearly every night in a week, I think 5. 1 of those was Teq stats.

It's just really random, you will go a spell without getting one and it seems like a long long time, then suddenly you get one, and 3 other stat weapon chests.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Its just that rng is.....

Never got any infusion from a chest, once got a precursor for 80 Gold and thats it. 

U actually have more luck than me. 

But yes its really frustrating when u see ur friends getting big loot. Like one friend got chaos sword (200 gold) a few days ago and yesterday got Winters heart infusion. Then also getting precursor for 300 Gold and so on. 

Its just bad luck.

Its how rng works, some people are lucky, some not. Its not really fair sometimes but get over it. 

• Like 3

It’s just RNG. You have been doing Teq about a year and it looks like half the year you got consistent drops and the other half you did not. What makes you think that there’s something wrong with the drop rate since July when you could have just been lucky instead for the first part of the year when you got the drops?   You should also know that 3% is average across a substantially large data set. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

If it is bad luck, man, my entire account must be *entirely cursed*.

Trust me, many players are in the same boat as you. This game's drop rates are abysmal... or at least extremely weird (I can say I have had tons of ascended drops since I no longer need them due to the legendary armory ... if only I had had that luck before 😄).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

It’s just RNG. You have been doing Teq about a year and it looks like half the year you got consistent drops and the other half you did not. What makes you think that there’s something wrong with the drop rate since July when you could have just been lucky instead for the first part of the year when you got the drops?   You should also know that 3% is average across a substantially large data set. 

It's known as an outlier account, and apparently they are quite a few of them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Well, considering "this whole time" is "the average seems to be about half what I actually should be getting", then sure, everything's k.

Reading comprehension. 

This is what you've wrote: "The wiki suggests an ascended weapon box drops for a participating player ~3% of the time, and my own experience used to confirm exactly that: I'd get an ascended box about once per month."

So what exactly are you talking about now?

And while we're speaking of "reading comprehension", if you read and understand what I (and other people in this thread) wrote in the previous post, you'd stop pretending you somehow "should be getting" anything here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

On the average for the year, it's about half the drop rate. Clear now?

No, in light of your initial claim about getting the amount of drops wiki specifies as "average", it still isn't clear what you're trying to say. "this whole time" means the "whole period of time where you've concluded your drop rate was equal to the expected average". If you consistently kept getting "the average", then your account isn't somehow "cursed" just because you start seeing drop chance deviations, which are expected due to the nature of randomness.

Hence:

9 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Seems like the usual: rng on my side? Everything's k. Rng not on my side? Rigged/cursed account/anet changed drop rates. But that's not how rng works. Averages are averages, but the deviations from the expected drop rate are perfectly normal, which is also pretty much why we use "averages" to assess drop rates in the first place.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1