40 slot legendary bag!!!

What would be the "legendary" mechanic of this bag? That you can change its type on the run (like "normal", "invisible", etc)?

Edit: LOL @ getting a negative reaction emoticon upon asking the OP a question. I wasn't suggesting anything but wondering myself what the ues of a legendary bag would be. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I like the idea of leggy bag if you can equip it simultaneously across all characters. Depending on the price of making it and the number of characters you have/play it might be cheaper to get the leggy bag than to buy extra slots for all characters. 
The option to change the type of bag for sorting/visibility would be nice too. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Topalai.4789 said:

I like the idea of leggy bag if you can equip it simultaneously across all characters. Depending on the price of making it and the number of characters you have/play it might be cheaper to get the leggy bag than to buy extra slots for all characters. 
The option to change the type of bag for sorting/visibility would be nice too. 

Having a *ahem full* number of characters, I could appreciate this.  I've been collecting armor on my main for so long, the idea of crafting legendary armor and weapons and then having to trash all those trasmuted ascended/exotics breaks my heart; I'd rather craft the bag to open up some space and be able to use it on all my characters instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No need for 40 slots I think, even just Legendary versions of the 24+ slot bags would be useful. Craft it once, equip on all characters simultaneously. When you have alot of alts, Legendary items are cheaper in the long run.

Also, Legendary food that you only have to craft once and then could use on any character with any available stats. It would lack the Karma/WXP/etc. buffs of Ascended food to still keep it useful, and instead of replacing Ascended food would mainly be used as an alternative to accessing the more rare and expensive stats.

While we're at it, bring in Ascended Runes & Sigils as well. Give them one extra bonus at a reduced rate (e.g Asceneded Sigil of Force +5% +1% damage), and with built in AR (for PvE) or guard damage increase/resist (for WvW).

Edited by Hannelore.8153

On 12/22/2021 at 11:00 PM, Serephen.3420 said:

I can't imagine a reason for having this.😕

11 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I don't see the reasonable need for it.

11 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

Just slapping the word "Legendary" onto something doesn't make it a good idea

Do you guys really not see any utility at all for 40 extra slots of storage across all of your characters? Like sure, there are alternatives to doing this (settling for fewer inventory spaces/buying multiple bag slots), but 40 slots is still 40 slots and more than the current maxed bags can hold. Looking at what's already in the game, the alternative to existing legendaries is to simply use ascended stuff, yet we still have a whole host of legendary items.

If someone was proposing legendary gear today, would guys really still be saying 'I can't imagine why anyone would need this'?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Do you guys really not see any utility at all for 40 extra slots of storage across all of your characters? Like sure, there are alternatives to doing this (settling for fewer inventory spaces/buying multiple bag slots), but 40 slots is still 40 slots and more than the current maxed bags can hold. Looking at what's already in the game, the alternative to existing legendaries is to simply use ascended stuff, yet we still have a whole host of legendary items.

What a great non-response where you literally quote the posts saying "can't imagine a reason for having this"/"I don't see the reasonable need for it" and then all you do is... ask them again if they can't see any reason. Yes, that's exactly what the posts you've just quoted said. You've just quoted the answers to the question you're subsequently asking. 🤔 

And if your best justification for "legendary" bags is "because they would have more than the current maxed bags can hold", then hopefully you're also ready for the release of ultra-legendary 42 slot bags, since those too will hold more than the previous legendary ones. What you've just said isn't a potential "legendary bag" property, it's "just another bigger bag" and as such it's hardly any reasonable argument for them being "legendary bags".

If someone was proposing legendary gear today, would guys really still be saying 'I can't imagine why anyone would need this'?

Strawman btw. And the correct comparison here would be if you've tried to call our ascended gear legendary (or make legendary gear with the same properties as the previous tiers, but with more stats) "since they're stronger than the exotics we previously had". And just like what you've wrote about these hypothetical bags above: that's not the property of legendary gear.

Facts can be super confusing, I know 😁 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

ask them again if they can't see any reason

I asked and then provided a couple of the reasons they 'can't imagine' for wanting such a bag as I wasn't understanding how someone could look at what's being suggested and not be able to see it as objectively useful or convenient for those wanting additional/more convenient storage in the same way that people find legendaries with selectable stats and accountwide accessibility to be useful. Or would you have preferred a confused emoji and no elaboration?

If the idea of a 40-slot legendary bag whose storage function (invisible, crafting materials, etc.) you can choose at will and which is accessible across all characters on an account is something you wouldn't use or wouldn't feel compelled to craft, that's fine - plenty of people never chase legendaries at all. But that's not what was being posted. My confusion stemmed from the seeming inability of some posters to see how/why others might find a legendary-tier bag desirable.

I hope this clears it up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I asked and then provided a couple of the reasons they 'can't imagine' for wanting such a bag

Wait, so you've quoted posts of people that can't see them as necessary and then... for some reason you felt the need to explain those exact same people why they can't see why it would be useful? What's the point of that? <.<

as I wasn't understanding how someone could look at what's being suggested and not be able to see it as objectively useful or convenient for those wanting additional/more convenient storage in the same way that people find legendaries with selectable stats and accountwide accessibility to be useful. Or would you have preferred a confused emoji and no elaboration?

But that's exactly the point. The proposed thing is "just another tier of bags with increased number of spaces", nothing legendary about that, as it's literally what any other tier already does. Also considering the ever increasing cost of those bags, even forgetting about the vastly increased "legendary" costs, it would easly be better to just get more bag slots. Or character slots (and then bag slots). For now, it just doesn't make sense and you didn't say why it could make sense, other then trying to come up with a completely irrelevant strawman about introducing legendary gear.

Anyways, good luck with your push for that incredibly useful addition to the game 🙋‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

The thing is, making it shared across characters would just be shared inventory slots (unless you mean you make it once and then every character can have a 40 slot bag to put anything they individually want in it, which has its own issues).  Per dev comments around material storage, and their keeping shared slots capped for very long stretches at a time, it's not a trivial thing to implement.  Adding 40 shared slots seems unlikely.

I understand the appeal.  I'm a major pack rat.  I just think there are a number of reasons why ANet would never do this.  (I don't say they for sure won't, I never say never after they proved able to implement core map gliding despite my certainty it was technically prohibitive).

53 minutes ago, Donari.5237 said:

(unless you mean you make it once and then every character can have a 40 slot bag to put anything they individually want in it, which has its own issues).

Ooh, I took the OP to mean this.  Didn't even think about the request as being for shared slots, since they're already a thing.  :classic_blush:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Donari.5237 said:

The thing is, making it shared across characters would just be shared inventory slots (unless you mean you make it once and then every character can have a 40 slot bag to put anything they individually want in it, which has its own issues).

Yeah, it'd be the latter - something that you would craft/obtain once that then goes into the legendary armory to be taken out/used by any of your characters. A bag that goes into the legendary armory and works like existing legendary gear - hence legendary bag. The thing that gets shared across the account is the ability to have a 40-slot bag with selectable storage filters, not the contents of said bag.

What are some of the issues you think this kind of bag could produce? These would be useful to be aware of when proposing solutions.

The biggest one I can think of is 'people might not buy as many bag slots if they could get 40 slots via in-game activities' but then again, legendary gear doesn't seem to stop people from continuing to use lesser tiers of gear across characters instead of investing into legendaries a single time, so it's similarly tough to say if something like this would kill whatever bag slot market currently exists for ArenaNet. I know for me personally, I only have one character with maxed bag slots and for additional storage it's cheaper to just make a new character than kit out the inventory of another one. In my case, the introduction of a legendary bag wouldn't impact bag slot purchases at all.

1 hour ago, Donari.5237 said:

I'm a major pack rat.

Man, me too. You wouldn't believe the amount of useless objects I carry around with me just because of the joy sparked by their dumb little icons, relevance to the character I'm on, or the suspicion I 'might need this one day.' 🐀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Wow, I wasn't expecting to get such a large response for my initial post. I'm happy a lot of people added some good suggestions of what could make a legendary bag legendary. From that I think the best ones for me were the bag available across all characters one and the choose what type of bag. The reason I wanted 40 slots was actually due to the fact that max bag slots right now equals 320 and that's just a weird number to me. 400 would be better imo, not so much for legendary vs ascended. It could be 32 slots and still have the features that others suggested honestly.

As for the argument that people would just rather buy another bag slot for 20 more slots for 400 gems, you go for it. Ultimately, everything is a trade off and how you spend your time earning your gold is up to you to decide.

Overall, I'd like to see something like this implemented. Thanks for all the discussion everyone, and as always, please remember to keep things civil!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

Personally, I think we should simply get a legendary 32-slot bag. The reason is because then it would work like other legendary stuff, in terms that it is a nice QoL feature but does not beat the ascended bags other than being account-wide. I also agree that it should be able to be turned into any type of bag at any time. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

If its going to be legendary then why 40? Thats skimpy for a legendary bag, make it 100. I mean im not about to grind out another 8 slots only when we have 32s in the game as is. Make it worth it for crying out loud

I find this to be pretty excessive. The benefit you gain is the idea of it being accessible on all character for a single bag, vs spending 100+ gold for one ascended bag that can only be used on one character at a time is enough QoL improvement imo. 32 or 40 aside. I'd easily spend upwards of 400g (Comparable to a leg sigil/rune) for a permanent bag that is available on every character I have now and in the future.

I even wouldn't be opposed if they had a list of craftable legendary bags for each type over the "stat selectable" bag if that made it easier to implement. Craft 9 regulars and 1 invis and be done with bag management forever!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1