Why is everyone so nice ?

Diotima.2674

Hey fellas, I'm just thankful people in this game always being nice to each other but I can't understand what is special with gw2 community. I mean I spent some considerable amount of time in almost any highly populated mmorpg, I don't want to name them but I've spent thousands of hours in some top rated ones. After all these years I wasn't really enjoying mmorpg's in general since everyone was being toxic and cursing on every situation.

I levelled a character last year just by questing and decided to pick it up from where I left off and I'm fascinated again with people still being nice in this game. People help me to revive when I die in open world. Everyone wishes a merry christmas after a public event. Whoever I whisper and asking something about the game they always willing to help. No one cursing on map chats.

But what is it making this game's player base helpful and chill ? I don't really like the gameplay and content in gw2 tbh, you guys in this game making it enjoyable for me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Its because Gw2 is a group focused game, theres public events, metas and map completions, you can help someone to do a quest and you will get xp or items in doing so so that creates a sense of community in the game that no other mmo has. 

Also, Welcome to the game and happy holydays!

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

Possibly also because it's so casual friendly.  "Hardcore" players are certainly around, but so are so many people who just stop by now and then and don't have much invested in being better than anyone else.  And the "from-launch" veterans tend to be really open to aiding others, which helps enforce the sense to new players that such behavior is what is common and expected.  At least, that's what my experience suggests.  😊 

Glad to have you and that you feel like it's home, whatever the reason!  Happy Wintersday!

• Like 12

Casual friendly, no fighting over resources, everyone gets credit for events, no rolling on loot, etc.  Tends to foster more of a community spirit, and also the ability that everyone can help others....not the classic trinity system.  No open world pvp.   

There's something for everyone, give it all a try, and glad you're enjoying the GW2 community.   Happy Wintersday!

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

What's this you've said to me, my good friend? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in conflict resolution, and I've been involved in numerous friendly discussions, and I have over 300 confirmed friends. I am trained in polite discussions and I'm the top mediator in the entire neighborhood. You are worth more to me than just another target. I hope we will come to have a friendship never before seen on this Earth. Don't you think you might be hurting someone's feelings saying that over the internet? Think about it, my friend. As we speak I am contacting my good friends across the USA and your P.O. box is being traced right now so you better prepare for the greeting cards, friend. The greeting cards that help you with your hate. You should look forward to it, friend. I can be anywhere, anytime for you, and I can calm you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my chess set. Not only am I extensively trained in conflict resolution, but I have access to the entire group of my friends and I will use them to their full extent to start our new friendship. If only you could have known what kindness and love your little comment was about to bring you, maybe you would have reached out sooner. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now we get to start a new friendship, you unique person. I will give you gifts and you might have a hard time keeping up. You're finally living, friend.

Spoiler

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Happy Holidays!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Casual friendly, no fighting over resources, everyone gets credit for events, no rolling on loot, etc.  Tends to foster more of a community spirit, and also the ability that everyone can help others....not the classic trinity system.  No open world pvp.   

There's something for everyone, give it all a try, and glad you're enjoying the GW2 community.   Happy Wintersday!

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I loved that it was one of the pillars of their design philosophy back before launch. “Always glad to see other players” was something ANet actually aimed for as they planned how the game would work.

I love swooping down and rezzing someone or helping out when I see someone having trouble in a fight.  I think the game trains you that way by having a lot of hearts give progress by rezzing downed NPCs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

I love swooping down and rezzing someone or helping out when I see someone having trouble in a fight.  I think the game trains you that way by having a lot of hearts give progress by rezzing downed NPCs.

I agree, and I enjoy helping out too ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

I remember rezzing downed players... thinking they were NPCs ha ha 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Cynder.2509 said:

Oh, sweet summer child...
Wait until you enter raiding, T4 fractals, failed meta events and PvP 😉
Your perception of people being nice in the game will drastically change ^^

Entirely true, and this is a problem. But that does not change the overall image of the community. The majority of the players, including the large casual playerbase will probably never play these parts of the game where elitism and toxicity goes rampant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I've played a few other MMORPGs as well and I noticed one thing: There are always objectives where players act against each other. This can be mobs that drop loot only for one player or only count towards one player's quest progress. Another example are harvesting nodes where its first come first serve and the second player gets nothing...

ANet has paid a lot of attention to removing anything where different players' objectives act against each other. In the past there were events where one group of players wanted to prolong or even fail the event so they can spawn more champions, while another group of players wanted to progress the event. Whenever such an event popped up, it didn't take long for ANet to change it. Nowadays you have to look really hard to find anything in the game where another player might want to do something that contradicts what you're currently doing. It's much more likely that you both end up doing the same and support each other.

Of course GW2 isn't completely free from trolls either. If your only objective is kittening another player off, you will find a way. Still, players usually don't act against each other unintentionally, which reduces a lot of the friction found in other games.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:55 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

I loved that it was one of the pillars of their design philosophy back before launch. “Always glad to see other players” was something ANet actually aimed for as they planned how the game would work.

Indeed, I really think they actually hit this one on the bulls-eye. Whatever else they've flubbed over years, this pillar of the core design remains quite true, and almost no other game does this. In terms of precisely how they achieved this, 

24 minutes ago, BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

ANet has paid a lot of attention to removing anything where different players' objectives act against each other. [...] you have to look really hard to find anything in the game where another player might want to do something that contradicts what you're currently doing. It's much more likely that you both end up doing the same and support each other.

is a great summary of it. Other games have very high levels of intentional and unintentional competition. The intentional ones are obvious (usually the open world pvp ones, especially those where you can't opt out of it). The unintentional ones are also widespread, including stuff like gathering nodes being first-come-first-served.

In GW2 there's almost nothing other players can do to take credit, progress, or resources away from you. Mount engage abilities were the first time in a very long time where a widely available tool was accused of allowing high level players to overwhelm new players' ability to catch up and get credit on events. Aside from very edge cases like that, it's quite hard to ruin someone else's pve day, intentionally or unintentionally. And when people aren't under pressure of needless competition and it's not hard to help out a neighbor, guess what? Turns out most of us are decent enough to help out because it takes nothing away from you to do so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Even in competitive environment people are light years nicer compared to other games. And WvW community is really nice so I don't know where the complaints are coming from. Just join the discord and ignore the chat where an occasional troll might pop out (nothing drastic though). 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 12/25/2021 at 6:11 AM, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

The novelty of MMOs have worn off, so now they're a niche unto themselves.

This is not true. The best is yet to come (Ashes of Creation), I believe, and New World is (hopefully, for the sake of its community) going to get patched to have all its bugs and the AI fixed to become highly popular, as it's not bad at all at its core.

The whole "It's a dying genre" argument is as old as the genre itself and has never proven to be accurate.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

This is not true. The best is yet to come (Ashes of Creation), I believe, and New World is (hopefully, for the sake of its community) going to get patched to have all its bugs and the AI fixed to become highly popular, as it's not bad at all at its core.

The whole "It's a dying genre" argument is as old as the genre itself and has never proven to be accurate.

I didn't say that MMOs were a dying genre.  I said they were a niche genre.  That said, your two counter-examples involve a game that hasn't been released yet, and another game that fell apart at the seams.  I'm not sure exactly how those games would disprove that the average MMO player is getting older or that MMOs are more of a niche market now.  Look, I didn't make that statement with a prepared argument for it, but if you just look at the general trends, you'll see what I mean.  Two sources here:

https://gametree.me/blog/global-gamer-insights-report/

"The popularity of the Action genre seems to decline with age and the popularity of the RPG genre shows a bell curve relationship with age, peaking at 33-42."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1263585/top-video-game-genres-worldwide-by-age/

"Shooter and action adventure games were the top two video game genres across the globe in 2020. Shooter games ranked as the most-played gaming genre for virtually all age groups except for online users aged 55 to 64 years, where it ranked second. Action-adventure were the second-most popular gaming genre, ranking second for most age group (and third for 55 to 64 year olds). Online users aged 16 to 24 years were the only age group to have battle royale games in their top gaming genres, whereas older age groups also played MMO or online board games."

That's just the way things go for genres.  It's a bit like the book Outliers. There's a point where they hit and they're hip.  Anyone older than the right age demographic is, by and large, set in their ways and used to hobbies they had as a kid.  Anyone younger will have missed the appeal period, instead adopting new hobbies that come out at the right time for them.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

I didn't say that MMOs were a dying genre.  I said they were a niche genre.  That said, your two counter-examples involve a game that hasn't been released yet, and another game that fell apart at the seams. 

Watching this, suddenly nothing in GW2 seems quite as bad as it did before.  😮  It's good to be reminded now and then that GW2 bugs and quirks might be annoying, but at least... they're not that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For the most part the GW2 player base is pretty nice and chill. It's only if you step into PvP or troll tactics in WvW that you see some nastiness. Even on the forums most people tend to be nice. We'll all get into heated debates, but generally don't bear any ill will after the fact.

I'm glad you've had a positive experience so far.

• Like 3

I treat other players as I want to be treated. At launch, alot of people helped me out with getting to know the game and now I have no problem doing the same. This is how the real world should be but unfortunately it isn't like that. That is why I love Tyria, its a beautiful world full of helpful and nice ppl. 

• Like 4