Is it me or is this game freaking difficult?

22 hours ago, Eliza.8602 said:

I played  GW2 at very beginning for about a month or less and then abandoned it for many many many years. I returned not so long ago, so I consider myself an absolute clumsy. Despite all guides, I took an elementalist and boost myself to 80 level with the help of money. This allowed me to experiment more with my build. I went through Tyria not to say that it was easy, but I learned a lot and die a lot. But Heart of Thorns was a real shock for me. Beautiful locations, great music, interesting story, but constant never ending pressure and a huge number of deaths. I had to learn how to go around. I have learned how to defeat many, but I am still die from some mobs. Despite all the difficulties, I still go on! 🙂

Heads up, Ele is my alltime favorite~, besides Mesmer. Ele is such a nice and diverse class with much more survivability than most people think. Nice to see someone who pushes trough and try's to learn :D. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I read that elementalist is a real “nightmare” for beginners and that people do not understand why elementalist sacrifices so much without having almost nothing back. I'm not sure that I fully understand the whole problem. There is a set of available skills, so I have to cook them properly and build my gameplay on what I have, and not on what I could have. IMO, the most important thing for new elementalists who are taking their first steps in the open world solo is to put their staffs away asap, although at first glance it seems that it is traditionally a mage's main weapon. But it seems this is not how it works in GW2. Personally, I tried every available weapon, but sit on Dagger/Dagger and since I recently got the Tempest, then Dagger/Horn as my backup weapon set. It’s not so important what you choose in the end, but it’s important that your weapon has to be fast, so leave the staff for the groups. Prepare for frequent deaths and take it easy, it seems this is normal. 🙂

1 hour ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Heads up, Ele is my alltime favorite~, besides Mesmer. Ele is such a nice and diverse class with much more survivability than most people think. Nice to see someone who pushes trough and try's to learn :D. 

Me too! Mesmer and elementalist, but especially mirage and weaver!  They're both really fun to play.  I love the evasive melee play style of sword weaver and axe mirage.  They feel great!

Here's some fresh video of Celestial Sword Weaver carving a path through the jungle.  You aren't wrong about it having better sustain than people seem to think!  The damage isn't terrible either.

It does seem the difficulty has ramped up since game launch. That's because the forum players kept asking for it. The casual title for this game is no longer true. They love to throw it out there when promoting the game. GW2 is not a casual mmo anymore. And they will always tell you its your build that's the problem. Most of the time that's not true. The game scales with you in every zone.

Edited by wmtyrance.3571
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

The thing is that elementalist basically has a lot more skills to learn - and more "rotations" with those skills. I remember elementalist and engineer only had 1 weapon set - cause ele has attunements and engineer the kits.

Engineer (my main) can still be played without too many kits. Other classes/professions have the usual 2 weapons sets - where they can swap weapons in combat. But elementalist ... weak armor, low health - you really need to make use of all those skills to do damage + get sustainability ... I think. (Never really played it a lot.)

Generally the professions with high (heavy) armor and/or health pool (warrior has both ... Necro has the shround which people call an additional health bar) are considered easier to play/learn.

Personally - and I'm not too skilled and a bit older now already ha ha - I found elementalist and thief to be the hardest (and for me a bit boring at least the thief) professions. Have all the core professions leveled to 80 in the classic way (no level 80 boost used) and played through the core story. Thief feels squishier than others - at least unless you are good enough to make use of all the dodges, blinds, stealth and stuff. (Which also needs a lot more skill. At least my impression - have not played them that much so far. Mainly playing my main engineer and recently the Mesmer - where there are some nice sturdy builds ... at least with Chrono I soloed some champs in HoT which I did not manage with my main engi.)

Edited by Luthan.5236

On 12/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, Shivan Aquilarnus.8417 said:

Thanks again - you've given me lots to look at so I'll check those builds out too!

And yes - one of the hardest things is GETTING equipment. From what I've seen frankly exotic equipment that matches the right specifications is WAY out of my reach at the moment. It'll just have to be 'rare' from what I can see & afford, but even that - I think - will be enough of an improvement that I can soldier through.

Thanks again!

Go to a black lion merchant (the trading post), and search specifically for level 80 exotic armor and weapons. Sort by cost, cheapest to most expensive. You'll find some surprisingly affordable armor and weapons. I have a core condi warrior running Settler's gear and Runes of the Undead that can tank mobs with confidence. Takes a little longer to kill enemies, of course, but going full glass in HoT is rarely recommended. You can also experiment with Carrion gear (Condition damage/vitality/power) and others that provide more survivability.  Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Just going to throw this one out there - top 3 (and there's only 3) Godmode specs are:

- Trailblazer Mirage (simply immortal in ANYTHING Open World can throw at you, yes, even group events and being, quite possibly, the easiest spec to play in GW2)

- Trailblazer Scourge (lots of buttons to press, but ridiculous sustain and poops condis left and right, immortal)

- Trailblazer or Celestial Renegade (commonly known as "Renegod", it has ridiculous burst sustain and can solo almost anything in the Open World)

No other spec (before EoD) can do what these 3 can do WITH EASE. On top of that, ALL of them are Ranged - other specializations and professions CAN do what these three can do, but the skillfloor to do so goes up tremendously. For example, I can solo most of the stuff on my Celestial Weaver and Berserker/Captain Scrapper, but it takes YEARS to kill anything - while the top 3 dogs would have been on another map by the time I'm done with a single difficult hero point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ysnake.3619 said:

Just going to throw this one out there - top 3 (and there's only 3) Godmode specs are:

- Trailblazer Mirage (simply immortal in ANYTHING Open World can throw at you, yes, even group events and being, quite possibly, the easiest spec to play in GW2)

- Trailblazer Scourge (lots of buttons to press, but ridiculous sustain and poops condis left and right, immortal)

- Trailblazer or Celestial Renegade (commonly known as "Renegod", it has ridiculous burst sustain and can solo almost anything in the Open World)

No other spec (before EoD) can do what these 3 can do WITH EASE. On top of that, ALL of them are Ranged - other specializations and professions CAN do what these three can do, but the skillfloor to do so goes up tremendously. For example, I can solo most of the stuff on my Celestial Weaver and Berserker/Captain Scrapper, but it takes YEARS to kill anything - while the top 3 dogs would have been on another map by the time I'm done with a single difficult hero point.

If you want better damage with condi weaver trailblazer is a good option. It should match or exceed scourge and renegade as long as the range and auto sustain on those two classes aren't too big an advantage in the particular encounter.  But otherwise I agree with your picks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, Shivan Aquilarnus.8417 said:

When you look up reviews of this game loads of people say it's a casual MMORPG, and there's a strong implication that - basically - the game is easy.

Maybe this was already answered but this called my attention.

Casual never meant "easy".

Casual means, any player that does not invest that much of their time, by being because they're at work, they travel a lot, have kids, etc, and can't engage in hardcore gaming 10 hours a day, GW2 never deletes or makes your character feel outdated. You can leave 3 years, and your Char will still be relevant with its gear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/9/2022 at 6:24 AM, Luthan.5236 said:

The game is "easy" compared to other games cause there is no gear treadmill (requiring learning to play raids and to grind them) - you can quickly access most content without big prerequisites.

Oh no?

You mean the gatekeeping raid parties that won't let you in because you won't algebra your gear to reach a very specific DPS. That's discriminating and gatekeeping for me.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, jasepo.1527 said:

Maybe this was already answered but this called my attention.

Casual never meant "easy".

Casual means, any player that does not invest that much of their time, by being because they're at work, they travel a lot, have kids, etc, and can't engage in hardcore gaming 10 hours a day, GW2 never deletes or makes your character feel outdated. You can leave 3 years, and your Char will still be relevant with its gear.

It also describes the type of content the player participates in.  For example, you probably wouldn't call someone who logs in once a week to bang out raid and fractal CMs with a static group "casual".  Just as you wouldn't call someone who spends most of their 5 hours of play time per day Rick rolling Divinity's Reach on a harp "hardcore".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/26/2021 at 8:18 AM, Shivan Aquilarnus.8417 said:

Thanks - I've since decided that my build was actually pretty rubbish - 'Aimless' is perhaps the word I'd use. It needed a focus - thanks to this thread I've got that now so just gearing up to give it another whirl.

Hi, I'm happy to provide you with a full set of exotics both armour and weapons including sigils and runes if you still need help with it all.

Questing Quaggan.

14 hours ago, jasepo.1527 said:

Oh no?

You mean the gatekeeping raid parties that won't let you in because you won't algebra your gear to reach a very specific DPS. That's discriminating and gatekeeping for me.

That certainly is a problem - for me as well. I'm not a "pro" and I usually try to avoid content like these - cause of too many "elitists" and a lot of time requirement. (And people that might get impatient with beginners.)

But not a problem created by the game. This is a problem of the community/people. Certain types of players prefer certain types of content - and the people mainly playing raids ... love to optimize. Even if you had super simple raids doable without skill by anyone ... the pros would maximize their efficienty to optimize (= spend less time by maximizing dps) - kicking everyone that is not good enough.

At least ArenaNet tried ... to make strikes - as introduction to get people into raiding. (Did not really work.) For me ... it were the fractals (mentioned them in some other thread) - that actually got me into group content. Low time requirements per fractal. (So people might not get too impatient with newbies.) Different tiers - making it easy to learn stuff in tier 1. Just great the mechanics.

I had big fears (social anxiety in real life and I also often think about how I might perform too bad in groups in online gaming - not even wanting to try) - but with the first fractal rush back then I think 2 years ago ... tried it. Started to like it. Still only in tier 2 (since I took a break and playing other content and old GW1) - but eventually I think I might love to try getting to T4 niveau. (I want the last cat for home instance lol - I think it needs challence mote on T4 from certain stuff - to get items to feed to it. Simon.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1