Considering buying EoD, why doesn't Anet adjust for currency value in Euro €?

2 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

They did not seem to do international pricing very well... 

I am in the Philippines, our upgrade is $79.99 USD.   Then they add sales tax, raising the price to $86.59 - tax, when I am not even in the US?!  The minimum wage here is $6 a day... good for me that I am retired. 😎

Just an FYI:  The minimum wage is some states in the US is $5.15, many at $7.25 plus tax.  Should each state pay a different amount?  Each person?

• Confused 1

I'm not sure if an easy fix exists with regard to pricing across various countries, which is, I assume, why ArenaNet simply charges the same across the board without consideration for how that translates to a local currency outside of their biggest target markets. This is unfortunately quite annoying or cost prohibitive for prospective players in places where $79 USD translates to an astronomical amount. Couple that with how many of their promotions actively exclude non-NA participants, and I can see why this kind of thing just adds more of a bad aftertaste.

Why charge $79.99 everywhere in the world but Europe, and yet charge €79.99 in Europe?  

This shouldn't be a thing. It's dumb that it is.

36 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Just an FYI:  The minimum wage is some states in the US is $5.15, many at $7.25 plus tax.  Should each state pay a different amount?  Each person?

Just an FYI: You're talking about hourly wages; that user is talking about wages for an entire day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 7:55 AM, mythical.6315 said:

This issue is your government. If you don’t like having to pay that tax then take it up with them.  Don’t insult a company that doesn’t pay the tax for you. 

So, to be specific, my government is the US government, and in the state I live in, Alaska, there is no tax and I would be charged the flat price, 79.99 USD.

However, I am not in Alaska, I am not in the US, and I cannot purchase it via "my government".  SO it costs $92+tax.

I thought I made this clear in my post.  Besides, I think you're misunderstanding the point.

As several other people have said, this is just greed plain and simple.

I can and will insult whoever and whatever company I want for being greedy. 

No offense to you personally 🙂

Edited by NerevarineNinja.1643
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

So I almost followed through, again.  

But when I got to check out it was not only charging me $92 dollars or so because it's charging 79.99 euro... but also 14 something tax in euros...

So apparently they're not including tax at all in the blanket 79.99 euro price, they're just flat out extorting by refusing to use a fair conversion of the currency.

I'm torn, I really want the ultimate edition for the characters slot, gems, etc, and I really want to pre-order... But I will be in Europe until after launch.

SO I guess I will wait and buy the cheapest version once I am back home, since I won't be able to get the preoder.  Or think about how I feel and if I want to buy the game at all.  Unfortunately for me and for Anet and for NC soft... Funny how sometimes everyone loses when someone tries to be greedy.

• Confused 2

On 12/31/2021 at 7:55 AM, mythical.6315 said:

This issue is your government. If you don’t like having to pay that tax then take it up with them.  Don’t insult a company that doesn’t pay the tax for you. 

Good luck getting tax laws changed in any country as a lone private citizen.

So in Europe I'm being charged 79.99 Euro +14.99Euro in tax which comes out to $107ish in USD.

So $79.99 (what I would pay if I were in Alaska) or $107.  I WAS seriously considering paying the fair taxed price, but now that I realize the extend to which they're actually overcharging, I'm leaning against buying now, or even buying at all.

They're overcharging because of incorrect currency conversion AND charging tax on top.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, NerevarineNinja.1643 said:

So in Europe I'm being charged 79.99 Euro +14.99Euro in tax which comes out to $107ish in USD.

So $79.99 (what I would pay if I were in Alaska) or $107.  I WAS seriously considering paying the fair taxed price, but now that I realize the extend to which they're actually overcharging, I'm leaning against buying now, or even buying at all.

They're overcharging because of incorrect currency conversion AND charging tax on top.

I agree with you about the price but you can circument this can you not?

You can just have a friend in your home town buy and email you the code and you transfer them money right?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

I agree with you about the price but you can circument this can you not?

You can just have a friend in your home town buy and email you the code and you transfer them money right?

Ok, GOOD idea!

I remember this being very challenging with Tarkov lol, but maybe GW2 will be easier!

Thanks!

(These business practices are still a bummer though.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NerevarineNinja.1643 said:

Take it up with that government then. Really no different than someone from outside of the US having to pay more to buy something in the US due to currency exchange and then pay sales tax. 

1 hour ago, Healix.5819 said:

€79.99 already includes 20% VAT. If it's actually adding tax after that, that's probably an error with their new payment processor.

Indeed, sounds more like a bug and OP should contact support to get it sorted.

Where I'm from (EU) the price shown must be the final price so it has to have all taxes included. The receipt I got says that I paid €79.99 for the Ultimate Edition. Product price is €64.51 plus €15.48 VAT (value-added tax) which makes it €79.99.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1