POF mastery point issue - New Player Issue

rpggamer.3472

New Player Stuck

After days of trying and trying to find a mastery point I finally resorted to google to try and find a solution. I found numerous posts from others having the same issue. This to me was frustrating to say the least since the responses I found were of little help to a new player. While I appreciate the couple responses I got to try and help (and I will use that advise going forward) they dont solve the core problem. As a new player the normal progression system and story lead you to a roadblock that it seems requires extensive knowledge of other core parts of the game to solve. Starting the living world content requires purchasing the expansion with gems. And as a new player I had no direct way of even knowing that those points could be used for POF masteries. Given that history tells me the mastery points are divided by expac. Also how would a new player know to start seeking achievements to get the points? Again these are not a natural flow of events through the game. This seems like something they could so easily fix, just adding 2 accessible naturally occurring points into the normal flow of the game seems would solve this issue. And make no mistake it is an issue for any new players

UPDATE - Fyi I was able to get the points needed to progress in POF after finding a bunch of guides and the advise of some fellow members.. While I appreciate that to those of you that have been playing for a long time my post is somehow confusing however this issue has been addressed numerous times with a simple google search. And while i appreciate exploration and achievements and guides as much as anyone I just found it alarming and odd that I was required to do so to progress through the story. That was the whole intent of this post.  

Thanks for your help.

Edited by rpggamer.3472
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Well, there's a great Wiki for all things Guild Wars 2.  I would guess that 'Google' first pointed one to the Wiki. There's an Achievement tab in the Hero Panel that lists every Mastery Point achievable.  There's Map Chat and the forums.

Just an FYI, it's not possible to acquire an expansion with Gems.

Sorry to hear you had a rough start with PoF Mastery Points; welcome, though, to Tyria. I'm sure you will learn over the years, as we all did.   :classic_smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The problem is you're playing content not made for new people.  Sure new players want to get mounts fast as possible, but they also need to realize they're jumping into not only an 80th level area, but the second expansion not the first.  Having played the game in the actual order it came out, by the time I got to PoF I didn't need to learn the basics of the mastery system because I got them from HoT.  That's the problem with jumping around.  

I do agree the game could do more to eplain stuff in POF but going to sixth grade without attending 3-5 grade is definitely going to confuse people.  I'm not sure why people think that jumping ahead isn't going to confuse them.

The best way to overcome that is to let other more experienced players help you get what you need. Talking to map chat for example. I'll help you if you're on a US server.  I help a lot of people learn the game.

But this game is known for not serving everything up on a silver platter.  It's one of the things that defines the game.  There's an awful lot to learn and the community is very giving in that regard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You should have access to enough mastery points within PoF to unlock all Mastery trees that came with PoF. You are given Mastery points through the story as well as locations on the map and some other achievements. 

The Living World chapters also have Mastery Points, and some can be used alongside expansion Masteries. But you do not need these LW mastery points if you haven’t bought the LW chapters. 

Mastery points are the leveling grind after hitting 80. They represent you overcoming challenges and growing as a character/learning new skills. You only need to do any MP once per account, so any frustration or enjoyment is short lived. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The problem is you're playing content not made for new people.  Sure new players want to get mounts fast as possible, but they also need to realize they're jumping into not only an 80th level area, but the second expansion not the first.  Having played the game in the actual order it came out, by the time I got to PoF I didn't need to learn the basics of the mastery system because I got them from HoT.  That's the problem with jumping around.  

I do agree the game could do more to eplain stuff in POF but going to sixth grade without attending 3-5 grade is definitely going to confuse people.  I'm not sure why people think that jumping ahead isn't going to confuse them.

The best way to overcome that is to let other more experienced players help you get what you need. Talking to map chat for example. I'll help you if you're on a US server.  I help a lot of people learn the game.

But this game is known for not serving everything up on a silver platter.  It's one of the things that defines the game.  There's an awful lot to learn and the community is very giving in that regard.

I did play through HOT before I went into POF.. The mastery point issue wasnt an issue in HOT. The only content I skipped was the living world expansions because they cost gems to unlock and I had already spent $80 for the game just recently. I love the game, and am enjoying the story. I was only expressing my concern that the points do not flow into the story and cause a wall that ruins the flow of the story.

2 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

You should have access to enough mastery points within PoF to unlock all Mastery trees that came with PoF. You are given Mastery points through the story as well as locations on the map and some other achievements. 

The Living World chapters also have Mastery Points, and some can be used alongside expansion Masteries. But you do not need these LW mastery points if you haven’t bought the LW chapters. 

Mastery points are the leveling grind after hitting 80. They represent you overcoming challenges and growing as a character/learning new skills. You only need to do any MP once per account, so any frustration or enjoyment is short lived. 

I wasnt debating whether it is possible to get the points needed, only that they dont occur naturally in the flow of the game through the story. And progressing in POF requires canyon jumping and gem shard collection that required the springer to progress. 

Edited by rpggamer.3472
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, rpggamer.3472 said:

I did play through HOT before I went into POF.. The mastery point issue wasnt an issue in HOT. The only content I skipped was the living world expansions because they cost gems to unlock and I had already spent $80 for the game just recently. I love the game, and am enjoying the story. I was only expressing my concern that the points do not flow into the story and cause a wall that ruins the flow of the story.

I wasnt debating whether it isnt possible to get the points needed, only that they dont occur naturally in the flow of the game through the story. And progressing in POF requires canyon jumping and gem shard collection that required the springer to progress. 

Some MP are collected through World Exploration and Achievements. PoF story does give you just enough Mastery to get what you need, but if you don’t spend them efficiently there are other MP in the first 2 zones you can walk up to and get. 

So it is totally possible to feel like the story isn’t giving you enough, but the game is also trying to push you into the open world exploration and achievements. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rpggamer.3472 said:

I wasnt debating whether it is possible to get the points needed, only that they dont occur naturally in the flow of the game through the story. And progressing in POF requires canyon jumping and gem shard collection that required the springer to progress. 

Every single hero point, all of them, even the communes in the open world are in the achievement panel. It's something people that played HoT, meaning not doing teh story and leaving to play PoF, but actually leveled their masteries there would have learned. Just running through the story of HoT itself, isn't really playing HoT. 

Remember when HoT came out it was an end in itself. There was no PoF to move onto.  But by the time you get to PoF people should know that all mastery points are in the achievement panel.  If you know that, there are enough mastery points to get what you need in POF to train your raptor to get your bunny. If you don't know it, it's harder.  That's really the whole thing.

Anet needs to make this clearer. People think they're only going to get masteries from story and communes in the open world but that's just not the case.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just sayin'...if you are skipping lots to just do the Story, you are skipping half the Story by skipping the Living World Seasons.   Also, if you spend $80 on the game, you likely acquired 4000 Gems.  Even just spending Gems on one Episode would only have been 200 Gems, and given several Mastery Points. 

In the future, when in doubt, consult the Wiki (link above).