Skyscale Quest Fix Request

I wonder if how boring the first part is has to do with how much time you've already spent on Dragonfall.

I hadn't spent that much time there when I did the medicine/scales/eggs, so it was still like I was exploring the ins and outs of the island. I can imagine if someone had spent a lot of time farming the meta or exploring, it would feel redundant.

• Like 2

I've no idea how much I have left, but I am on my last piece of the Saddle collection (and I am at like 30% of the currency I need to buy it, at least this map is fun, Dragon Fall).

I've almost quit the Skyscale quests overall because of this part.  Its not even about it being a grind, its just so daunting.  If I didn't have the Return To achievements, I'd probably take two or more years to have finished what I have managed to finish simply because I dislike staying on one map for more than a few fights.

I've been at it for a little over a year, starting it late in 2019, but being put off with the tasks that it makes us do.  My road blocks have always been the Gold and currency portions.  Only reason I am still trying is that I can chip away at it little by little and just stop for months when I feel burnt out from the grind and come back when I've steeled myself to continue it, and because I have a friend that keeps trying to push me into finishing it so I stop lagging behind when we try to do events together.

If anything, lowering the required currencies for the saddle would have been a fair easing.  Gold isn't that bad when you sell Mystic Coins every month, but it can still slow your process down if you aren't someone that knows effective ways to make gold. (I am certainly not one of them, takes me months to get 50 gold.)

A lot of the menial in betweens were fun, my only issue has been with the Gold and Currency requirements. 

I'd say lower the amount of LWS4 currencies to like 150 would have been a decent nerfing to the Saddle step.  Still a grind, excessively easy with Return To achievements if you have them unlocked, but if you don't then you still have work ahead of you even if you just sit in Bozja and exchange Ice Shards for LWS4 currencies.

(Yes I read OP, I didn't find the opening part that bad as it was just menial tasks.  The Currency portions are what I feel need to be "fixed".)

Edited by Xanhawk.3806
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

I could have agreed with you on the currencies back before the Return events, but now they are really easy to get. If you don't have those zones unlocked, you can't get the skyscale anyway.

Before the return events, I got through the currencies via alt-parking. Eight of my characters were parked at the easiest heart in each zone and I just ran through them and bought currencies with karma. It wasn't terrible.

Now, it's really easy. The fact that they decided to give 250 of each currency for tier 3 in each Return achievement looks like someone at ArenaNet specifically wanted to ease up the skyscale quest for future players.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I always thought that the currency cost was a sink since there were so many complaints about players have an abundance of currencies with nothing to use them on.

Although the skyscale was in game on release of the LW4 chapter 6. Seems like its acquisition would have been designed before LW4 release, and therefore before player complaints about having too much currency.

The crafting shipments bought with volatile magic definitely seem like a sink, but those were in place at LW4 launch, too, weren't they?

On 1/8/2022 at 12:09 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

Expressed what opinion? That the collection isn't a bunch of small steps? And the fact that -apparently- multiple people expressed that false opinion makes facts irrelevant? The collections are just sets of tasks you have to do. The "sets of tasks" that are the same as "multiple steps" which were asked for in the post I was responding to.  What exactly am I "attacking" here and how exactly what I said is wrong?

Cool and what exactly (from my post you've just quoted) are you responding to right now? I can't see the relevance to anything I said there, so please specifically point at the part you're responding to with this. I said collections consist of multiple steps, I said nothing about the whole process being fast.

Again: what exactly (from my post you've just quoted) are you responding to right now? I can't see the relevance to anything I said there, so please specifically point at sentence/part/word you're responding to with this. Or are you just fishing for some weird strawman here since you can't respond to what I actually said because you know what I said is just true?

Really, if you quote my post, try actually responding to it please, thanks.

That's a lot retro-active twisting what you said. It's undeniable from your previous post you were pretending the steps weren't a big deal. But sure, change your tune when you're called out. I guess there's nothing to talk about if you agree with OP that it's long and/or unreasonably tedious. Glad I could get you to backpedal there. And no game design experience to speak of. Hmm. Given how much you love comment on so many aspects of this game and tell people that their experiences are invalid/wrong, that's quite surprising. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

32 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

That's a lot retro-active twisting what you said. It's undeniable from your previous post you were pretending the steps weren't a big deal. But sure, change your tune when you're called out. I guess there's nothing to talk about if you agree with OP that it's long and/or unreasonably tedious. Glad I could get you to backpedal there. And no game design experience to speak of. Hmm. Given how much you love comment on so many aspects of this game and tell people that their experiences are invalid/wrong, that's quite surprising. 

Read that post again mate, were do you see the backpedaling and change of tune?

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

I didn't twist anything, you made some ridiculous claims pretending that's what I said, while I clearly never said anything like -for example- "the whole process is fast" (so still unclear why you've tried responding with "You can argue it's fast all you want"?).

If you want to tell me I "changed my tune" or "backpedal" about anything there, quote my initial post and explain what exactly I changed in my next response, because I can't see it. If you can't do that, stop making up these lies and start responding to the contents of the posts you're quoting.

tl;dr, so you won't forget: quote EXACTLY where that "backpedalling" or "retro-active twisting of what I said" was. 🙋‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

16 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Read that post again mate, were do you see the backpedaling and change of tune?

lol. That collection is nothing else than a bunch of small steps. Just because you want to knock it all out at once doesn't mean you can't completet it gradually step-by-step. If you want to rush through the steps, it doesn't mean there are no steps -it just means you want to rush through it anyways despite what you're claiming above.

The above post, especially the bolded line is pretending the collection isn't arduous/egregious. There's literally no point in this post if he agrees with OP. And so what if someone wants to focus solely on that collection? It's completely valid gameplay of an MMO to focus on accomplishing a goal. 

It's a pretty ridiculous post in context. And is contradicted by the below quote. 

Cool and what exactly (from my post you've just quoted) are you responding to right now? I can't see the relevance to anything I said there, so please specifically point at the part you're responding to with this. I said collections consist of multiple steps, I said nothing about the whole process being fast.

The first bolded line, from from his OP contradicts

this

. He is backpedaling with this statement. A bunch of little steps implies fast. he's splitting hairs. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

8 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

The above post, especially the bolded line is pretending the collection isn't arduous/egregious. There's literally no point in h this post if he agrees with OP. And so what if someone wants to focus solely on that collection. It's completely valid gameplay of an MMO to focus on accomplishing a goal. 

No, what I said here is what I always said about it: if you want to rush whole skyscale acquisition process asap, it's on you. Otherwise, it's already a bunch of smaller steps (something that the person I quoted pretended would make it somehow better... except that's already what it is?), because that's exactly what it is. Never backpedalled from anything there nor did I change what it means. What are you even talking about here 🤦‍♂️ 

8 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

A bunch of little steps implies fast. he's splitting hairs. 

LOL, no. "A bunch of small steps" doesn't mean the whole process is short. It means that you can -and in most cases probably should- complete it "one task at the time". "One task", being "one smaller step" -because that's what collections are, a bunch of smaller steps. And this is exactly what i wrote. And -as evident- still write. So much for "backpedalling" 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, what I said here is what I always said about it: if you want to rush whole skyscale acquisition process asap, it's on you. Otherwise, it's already a bunch of smaller steps (something that the person I quoted pretended would make it somehow better... except that's already what it is?), because that's exactly what it is. Never backpedalled from anything there nor did I change what it means. What are you even talking about here 🤦‍♂️ 

This isn't true, you're rephrasing to ignore what you're previously posted.

lol. That collection is nothing else than a bunch of small steps. Just because you want to knock it all out at once doesn't mean you can't completet it gradually step-by-step. If you want to rush through the steps, it doesn't mean there are no steps -it just means you want to rush through it anyways despite what you're claiming above.

Then, in your follow up quote, you intentionally omit the fact you call the steps small so you can play these mental gymnastics. 

Cool and what exactly (from my post you've just quoted) are you responding to right now? I can't see the relevance to anything I said there, so please specifically point at the part you're responding to with this. I said collections consist of multiple steps, I said nothing about the whole process being fast.

A bunch of small steps, implies fast. And you ignore the fact you called the steps small in your previous post and even omit the phrasing of the small steps when you re-quote yourself. 

You reinvent reality to contradict people who disagree with you. You backpedaled and the omission that you called the steps small in the previous post clearly illustrates this. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5

3 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

This isn't true, you're rephrasing to ignore what you're previously posted.

Then, in your follow up quote, you intentionally omit the fact you call the steps small so you can play these mental gymnastics. 

A bunch of small steps, implies fast. And you ignore the fact you called the steps small in your previous post.

You reinvent reality to contradict people who disagree with you. 

No, I still call them exaclty that, but jeez, what a hilarious effort following your misunderstanding of a simple description of what the collection/skyscale acquisition process is 🤦‍♂️ 

Skyscale acquisition proccess isn't something you need/should/are encouraged to rush. It is a bunch of small steps. This is what collections are. If you want to rush them, it's on you. No backpedalling here, just you misunderstanding what you're reading. Doubt anyone here can't help you with understanding this fact any more than that 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

On 1/6/2022 at 7:03 AM, sorudo.9054 said:

i am not specifically talking about grind for mounts.......*facepalm*

in general, WoW does it's stuff better by filling it with interesting quests.

and while it's still allot of fetch quests, they make sure it's interesting and in small steps.

what Anet did is make a horrible map filled with meta's that kicks everyone off the map every X moments and added an achievement tied to this skyscale which btw is a big collection to get trough, to make matters worse they time gated the whole thing with a huge grind following that.

in order to actually make it fun they should've made a story out of it, make the steps (collections) smaller and put the stuff on a save map so the collection isn't hindered.

further more, gating should just go, instead it would be nice to have a certain item your skyscale can collect, growing it while chasing after them. (so no grinding for items that get in your inventory)

it would make this collection much more fun and allot less a chore.

I got bored with WoW just while leveling through their quest hub system.  WoW quests aren't better. They're linear and mindless for the most part.  You follow an arrow to a star, pick stuff up or kill something and go back to another star. Whee!  Most WOW quests, the vast majority are boring walls of text that most people skip altogether. They're fast for the most part. They're easy for the most part. But killing 20 wolves to get 5 pelts.  Yeah, no thanks.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, I still call them exaclty that, but jeez, what a hilarious effort following your misunderstanding of a simple description of what the collection/skyscale acquisition process is 🤦‍♂️ 

What's hilarious is you telling people how to play the game and pretending you didn't say things you said previously. It's an MMO. it's not crazy to play with a goal in mind and it's not crazy to tell the devs to think about that experience and to make sure it's a good one, should someone decide to just go straight for the goal. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

5 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

What's hilarious is you telling people how to play the game and pretending you didn't say things you said previously. It's an MMO. it's not crazy to play with a goal in mind and it's not crazy to tell the devs to think about that experience and to make sure it's a good one, should someone decide to just go straight for the goal. 

Where am I telling anyone how to play the game? Advising someone to take the skyscale collection in small steps (since that's what they are) when they complain about it being too long (relevant bit of context btw) is "telling them how to play" now and somehow a negative behavior you need to point at?

It really seems you're kittenhurt here about something from the past and just try to aim at me instead of understanding what you're responding to. Take a deep breath and go on a thread re-read spree or something 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Where am I telling anyone how to play the game? Advising someone to take the skyscale collection in small steps (since that's what they are) when they complain about it being too long is "telling them how to play" now and somehow a negative behavior you need to point at?

It really seems you're kittenhurt here about something from the past and just try to aim at me instead of understanding what you're responding to. Take a deep breath and go on a thread re-read spree or something 🤷‍♂️ 

Advice on breaking it into steps is largely irrelevant to the OP. Either the collection design is an issue or it's not. You seem to be dancing around that. In fact telling people to split it up over a large amount of time and other more enjoyable experiences seems to imply that the design IS an issue. it should be a fun activity if it's supposed to be good or engaging gameplay. It's not bad for someone to log on and go after a goal, this type of gameplay is something that MMOs are often balanced around. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Advice on breaking it into steps is largely irrelevant to the OP.

I wasn't responding to OP 🤦‍♂️ 

Someone complains about the acquisition being too long, at which point probably the best solution is to either

a) understand you don't need skyscale in the first place and simply not get it

or

b) divide the whole task into a less daunting "small steps", which is what collection already helps us with doing by... you guessed it, being a collection of smaller steps.

Both of which I said at one point or another. Both of which are as helpful of an advice as it gets in this circumstence.

I guess the better advice then would be "you absolutely need to do the whole collection in one sitting!"  -what are you even trying to do right now is beyong me. 🤷‍♂️ 

Either the collection design is an issue or it's not.

It's not. It's a bunch of small steps that make it easy to divide the whole acquisition process into clearly marked steps/milestones.

You seem to be dancing around that.

I'm not dancing around anything. If you think I'm "dancing around anything here", then ask direct question/s about the issues I apparently ommit so carefully. Except that I don't.

In fact telling people to split it up over a large amount of time and other more enjoyable experiences seems to imply that the design IS an issue.

When you literally describe a broad mmorpg design goals, then the only issue here is your choice of games. Or, more precisely, choice of game genre.

it should be a fun activity if it's supposed to be good or engaging gameplay. It's not bad for someone to log on and go after a goal, this type of gameplay is something that MMOs are often balanced around.

You can do whatever you find fun in the game, skyscale isn't needed and you're not entitled to rewards by default. Yes, it's just that easy. Complaining about "rewards for specific rewards being rewards for specific rewards" is ridiculous. And that's exactly what you're doing right now.

I didn't say he can't log on and go after a goal, what are you talking about again? But if rushing a collection seems like a daunting task, then the solution here is what I've already listed earlier.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

I wasn't responding to OP 🤦‍♂️ 

Still irrelevant, you're talking to someone about the collection and that's the topic of the post. Which by the way, the OP had similar statements about, so OP is still relevant here. The collection itself is what we're talking about. You're just being contrary to be contrary. 

Someone complains about the acquisition being too long, at which point probably the best solution is to either

a) understand you don't need skyscale in the first place and simply not get it

or

b) divide the whole task into a less daunting "small steps", which is what collection already helps us with doing by... you guessed it, being a collection of smaller steps.

Both of which I said at one point or another. Both of which are as helpful of an advice as it gets in this circumstence.

None of this makes their initial complaint wrong. In fact, it seems to validate it. And I wouldn't say skyscale isn't necessary. It's definitely the best mount in some metas because of the ground you have to cover, much easier that swapping mounts all the time. Dragonfall being a good example. You can literally miss champs (loot) by not having it. 

I guess the better advice then would be "you absolutely need to do the whole collection in one sitting!"  -what are you even trying to do right now is beyong me. 🤷‍♂️ 

It's not. It's a bunch of small steps that make it easy to divide the whole acquisition process into clearly marked steps/milestones.

I'm not dancing around anything. If you think I'm "dancing around anything here", then ask direct question/s about the issues I apparently ommit so carefully. Except that I don't.

When you literally describe a broad mmorpg design goals, then the only issue here is your choice of games. Or, more precisely, choice of game genre.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do here either, like at all. the complaint is that it's too long. I'm not sure why calling it a bunch of small steps or telling people different ways to play fixes the issue. The feedback is needed. I feel like you've validated that sentiment by saying the gameplay should be broken up. 

You can do whatever you find fun in the game, skyscale isn't needed and you're not entitled to rewards by default. Yes, it's just that easy.

I'm not sure why people saying something should be different  = entitlement. I finished it. Many people who hate the collection finished it, but it's not bad to call out bad design. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

Still irrelevant, you're talking to someone about the collection and that's the topic of the post. Which by the way, the OP had similar statements about, so OP is still relevant here. The collection itself is what we're talking about. You're just being contrary to be contrary. 

What's irrelevant? The very post I quoted and was clearly responded to? That's an interesting idea about how "responding" to anything works. If someone complains about it being too long, then it is VERY relevant, since that's a direct response to clearly quoted post. Not sure by what logic exactly it's supposed to be irrelevant. 😄

None of this makes their initial complaint wrong. In fact, it seems to validate it. And I wouldn't say skyscale isn't necessary. It's definitely the best mount in some metas because of the ground you have to cover, much easier that swapping mounts all the time. Dragonfall being a good example.

I didn't say their complaint is wrong. I said I presented solutions to his problem (that you've jsut tried pretending was "irrelevant" above for whatever reason). Again, what are you responding to right now?

It doesn't matter if you'd say skyscale is or isn't nevessary. It isn't and it's a fact. It is convenient, but it's easly not necessary to have it. If you want it, you can go for it. If you don't want to then you easly don't have to. It's just that easy.

I feel like you've validated that sentiment by saying the gameplay should be broken. 

😂

Riiight.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

4 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What's irrelevant? The very post I quoted and was clearly responded to? That's an interesting idea about how "responding" to anything works. If someone complains about it being too long, then it is VERY relevant, since that's a direct response to clearly quoted post. Not sure by what logic exactly it's supposed to be irrelevant. 😄

I didn't say their complaint is wrong. I said I presented solutions to his problem (that you've jsut tried pretending was "irrelevant" above for whatever reason). Again, what are you responding to right now?

It doesn't matter if you'd say skyscale is or isn't nevessary. It isn't and it's a fact. It is convenient, but it's easly not necessary to have it. If you want it, you can go for it. If you don't want to then you easly don't have to. It's just that easy.

😂

Riiight.

Your entire set of statements here doesn't match up with the post you were initially responding to:

and while it's still allot of fetch quests, they make sure it's interesting and in small steps.

what Anet did is make a horrible map filled with meta's that kicks everyone off the map every X moments and added an achievement tied to this skyscale which btw is a big collection to get trough, to make matters worse they time gated the whole thing with a huge grind following that.

in order to actually make it fun they should've made a story out of it, make the steps (collections) smaller and put the stuff on a save map so the collection isn't hindered.

At no point did the person even SAY it was too long. And you've been arguing the last 3 posts that this is what they said. Also the person in question, could already have it given the feedback they wrote, so why are you giving them advice? It wasn't asked for. In fact the person was giving feedback on how to make it more fun. 

but you never pass up an opportunity to have these little dances with me do you? You love me so much!

I literally have no idea what we're talking about now and what the purpose of your initial post was. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

He complained about collection being big and repeatedly said it's too grindy, soo... Yes, they did. It's interesting how many straws you've tried to grasp in the last few posts in this thread.

Grindy has nothing to do with long. It's unclear their solution is any shorter in terms of /played

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

This is your post from the first page, without quoting anything, which most probably points at you responding directly to OP with the very same advice you now pretend is irrelevant to OP

And with that, I'm done here, since it's clearly not even worth my time -apparently at this point you'd gladly argue against "yourself from the first page of this thread" if only you had my nickname 😄 

(don't forget to stand in front of a mirror and scold yourself for daring to tell other people how to play 🙋‍♂️)

The difference here is I'm not implying they're playing wrong like you were. Laughing at them for how they choose to play and implying they're playing wrong are the reasons I accused you of this:

lol. That collection is nothing else than a bunch of small steps. Just because you want to knock it all out at once doesn't mean you can't completet it gradually step-by-step. If you want to rush through the steps, it doesn't mean there are no steps -it just means you want to rush through it anyways despite what you're claiming above.

This sort of phrasing and behavior feels more like telling them how to play than recognizing what they have to say, and validating it like I did with a suggestion. This isn't suggestive/advice: you make it sound like this is the only way you should be playing and that the way they chose to play was wrong. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

10 hours ago, Firebeard.1746 said:

Grindy has nothing to do with long. It's unclear their solution is any shorter in terms of /played

The difference here is I'm not implying they're playing wrong like you were. Laughing at them for how they choose to play and implying they're playing wrong are the reasons I accused you of this:

This sort of phrasing and behavior feels more like telling them how to play than recognizing what they have to say, and validating it like I did with a suggestion. This isn't suggestive/advice: you make it sound like this is the only way you should be playing and that the way they chose to play was wrong. 

It do seem like you put in alot of your interpretation and what you feel Sobx.1758 is saying and then vilify them for what you made up in your head mate.

It cant be a health way to live your live so maybe take a break and sort some kitten out mate.

Onto the topic.

The collection is fine atleast you dont have to wait 24h to do each feeding anymore like I and many did at the start.

That got changed and was a good change.

What the OP is complaning about is not the same.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

On 1/10/2022 at 12:10 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

“Pixel hunt” is quite the hyperbole. Right up there with the poster that kept talking about visiting the same spots hundreds of times.

A bit late response. 

Combing the whole map for tiny scales where at least 2 are hidden in nooks is as close to pixel hunt as it gets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1